What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Phrases/terms that need to be retired immediately (3 Viewers)

Two I'm been hearing more lately...

"I'm here for it" (in reference to something being discussed to show their approval)

"Facts" (to agree)

I may have posted this already, but hearing it again makes me want to post it again...

When referring to your social media.... calling them your "socials".

Radio stations continue to refer to their Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc. as their "socials" quite a bit. Oof.

"sleeps" as a substitute for night/day cycle.

From a friend's status update: Only 23 more sleeps 'til Christmas.

Using "XXX number of sleeps until YYY" to denote the number of days until some event.

#### you. I may not have normal sleep patterns. It could be half or twice that.

"x number of sleeps" until vacation or other event

I'm hearing this more lately, and knew it must have been mentioned before in this thread. Seeing that the first was almost 11 years ago, I don't think anyone is listening to us that these phrases should be retired immediately. :kicksrock:

This doesn't exactly fit the point of the thread, but I want to know what marketing genius came up with the idea of renaming everyday objects with super-pretentious synonyms.

A couple years ago I saw a yuppie ice cream shop that advertised "frozen cream". Then, this past week, I checked into a hotel where the shampoo and conditioner bottles are labeled "mint thyme hair wash" and "yuzu bergamot crème rinse." What the actual eff?

Person A says something with the intention to stir the pot/irritate someone else or another fanbase.

Person B then responds calling Person A dumb for their take.

Person A then proceeds to reply only with "Rent Free!". As in "I'm living in your head rent free, you can't stop thinking about me/my team, you're obsessed with us, etc."

I see this everywhere and it drives me crazy.

Person A says something with the intention to stir the pot/irritate someone else or another fanbase.

Person A then proceeds to reply only with "Rent Free!". As in "I'm living in your head rent free, you can't stop thinking about me/my team, you're obsessed with us, etc."

So what you're say is that people who say this are living in your head rent free?

So what you're say is that people who say this are living in your head rent free?
I guess so lol. Seen it a ton lately since this past week is typically rivalry week in college football. Winning team fans post online bragging, losing team fans respond with "Rent Free!" bc they have no other comeback. Can't defend a loss, so the only option they have is to accuse the winning team of being obsessed. Its deflection I guess. But then next year the other team will win. Winners will brag, losers will respond "Rent Free!" The phrase has lost all meaning...

This doesn't exactly fit the point of the thread, but I want to know what marketing genius came up with the idea of renaming everyday objects with super-pretentious synonyms.

A couple years ago I saw a yuppie ice cream shop that advertised "frozen cream". Then, this past week, I checked into a hotel where the shampoo and conditioner bottles are labeled "mint thyme hair wash" and "yuzu bergamot crème rinse." What the actual eff?

Are you implying that in a thread about overused phrases, I used one myself? If so, point taken, although in my defense I was at least partly joking about the language constraints imposed on this site. That’s not a phrase I typically use

I think I said this before in here but I keep hearing it......the (insert number) burger when talking about a score....."doncic put up a 60 burger".......where the F did that even come from? And why did it catch on?

Groupthink - I think it means everyone agrees with the speaker.

A few weeks after John F. Kennedy was elected President of the United States, the CIA approached him about a plan set in motion by his predecessor, Dwight Eisenhower, for a secret military operation that later came to be known as the Bay of Pigs Invasion.

The year was 1960, just months after a communist revolutionary named Fidel Castro overthrew his government in an armed rebellion, installing himself as dictator and turning Cuba into a one-party state.

Fearing a rising tide of communism across the globe, President Eisenhower had approved a plan, devised by CIA Director Allen Dulles, to land in a swampy area of Cuba’s southern coast in hopes of sparking revolt against Castro and overthrowing the new communist régime. The only question was whether Kennedy would choose to proceed with the plan.

The decision he ultimately made came to be known as one of the most embarrassing foreign policy blunders of all time — and became the archetypal example of “groupthink,” the tendency of groups to become so swept up in a spirit of camaraderie and belonging that they stifle their doubts, silence dissenters, and rush to consensus without fully analyzing ideas.

As you should. Like a boss is almost older than your kid. He's going to get made fun of pretty seriously if he says that in public. I'd recommend you teach him savage, lit, and low key.
Savage - can't say I've seen that one

Lit - hasn't that been around for 20 years? Like... wasted? Drunk? High?

Low key - seen this.... and even as one word, somehow. ("lowkey").... and I believe it's antithesis, these days, is "legit". Yes?

I’m apparently 6 years too late to this but the lowkey phrase is highkey horrible.

That’s a psychology term that’s been around awhile. I learned it in Psych 101 in high school. It means when everyone in a group agrees with something just because of the human social nature to want to agree with others and not have conflict. Like how maybe at a bar, many of the people in the group don’t want another drink but if a couple people in the group say let’s order another round, often everyone will say sure even though they actually don’t want to. This can be dangerous- think of all the people in Germany who likely on their own would have never done what the NAZI party did but went along with so as to not rock the boat. It also eliminates a feeling of personal responsibility. People feel that they weren’t responsible for their actions because the decisions weren’t their own but from the group.

I have a coworker who says "BTDubs" all the fricken' time, like "BTDubs, you might want to give that a closer look" or "BTDubs, I've got a Doctor's appointment and will be in late tomorrow."

That’s a psychology term that’s been around awhile. I learned it in Psych 101 in high school. It means when everyone in a group agrees with something just because of the human social nature to want to agree with others and not have conflict. Like how maybe at a bar, many of the people in the group don’t want another drink but if a couple people in the group say let’s order another round, often everyone will say sure even though they actually don’t want to. This can be dangerous- think of all the people in Germany who likely on their own would have never done what the NAZI party did but went along with so as to not rock the boat. It also eliminates a feeling of personal responsibility. People feel that they weren’t responsible for their actions because the decisions weren’t their own but from the group.
The Abilene paradox.

The Abilene paradox.
I hadn’t heard of that but it’s a better explanation for the bar scenario. Thanks.

“Welcome in!”

I have an irrational, visceral, negative reaction to this.

“Welcome” - fine
“Come on in” - super

Combining them? FOH

“Welcome in!”

I have an irrational, visceral, negative reaction to this.

“Welcome” - fine
“Come on in” - super

Combining them? FOH

this must be a regional thing- we were recently in New England and EVERY store worker greeted us what that- never heard it before

Users who are viewing this thread