What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pick out a SUV for me to buy (1 Viewer)

Must be reliable as I buy and hold (no Land Rover or VW type of stuff that has horrible reliability ratings)
Crap, does this include Audi? My wife has her heart set on a Q5.
no, Audi has moved up over the last few years into the top tier of reliability... again per Consumer Reports. They aren't on Toyota or Lexus's plane... but are certainly in a reasonable tier now.

Toyota Sequoia

Can haul 7,400 lbs.

Cheaper than the Mercedes.

Much more reliable than Mercedes and/or Dodge.

Winner, winner, go buy me a mother ####### chicken dinner!
A GB of mine has one and loves it. It didn't quite fall into the size I'm comfortable with, and has a putrid Consumer Reports rating at 60, but I'll give it another look.

Buy a used 2007 LX470 (last year of the J100 generation) with the lowest miles you can find. It will last you 20 years.
difference between 470 and 460?
The 460 is smaller, gets slightly better mileage, looks better (according to most people on the Lexus forums), and a not very useful 3rd row.

Can't go wrong with eitheR.
I absolutely love my 470 and will buy another if it ever dies.

It sucks to have to pick a vehicle out based on the boat given that 99% of the driving is regular style, which I would only need a very basic suv for.

In many ways I wish you could rent towing vehicles because that would project out as a major savings for me... but alas, rental companies don't buy vehicles with tow hitches and prohibit it in their rental agreements.
Why not purchase what you want (excluding towing requirement) and keep the Trailblazer for said trips?
Possible. I only have a 2 car garage currently. So i guess i need a new home with a 4 car garage... 2 regular vehicles, the spare SUV, and the toy roadster (currently in storage).. this is ridiculous
Are you worried about a 10 year old vehicle being exposed to the elements or do you not have on street parking available?

Buy a used 2007 LX470 (last year of the J100 generation) with the lowest miles you can find. It will last you 20 years.
difference between 470 and 460?
The 460 is smaller, gets slightly better mileage, looks better (according to most people on the Lexus forums), and a not very useful 3rd row.

Can't go wrong with eitheR.
I absolutely love my 470 and will buy another if it ever dies.
Mine is 15 years old and the only repairs have been the timing chain, brakes, and hoses. Did replace the radiator since the mechanic didn't charge labor when doing the hoses. There's no other vehicle I've trusted more than this one.

Must be reliable as I buy and hold (no Land Rover or VW type of stuff that has horrible reliability ratings)
As someone else mentioned Audi has risen on the list for reliability ratings but I'll never buy one again. I have an A6 and had an issue with a rollover valve on the gas tank. I discovered the issue after filling up the tank and smelling gas in the cabin. Called Audi and they said "yeah, that's an issue we're aware of and have sent out recall notices." The recall notices were for 2001 to 2004 and mine was a 2000 so I wasn't notified. It was the same part, same issue in all aspects but Audi still told me to pound sand and if I wanted it fixed it would all come from my pocket. The least they could have done was at least notify me that I might be leaking gas but of course that opens up the door for accepting responsibility.

F**k them. Will never even consider them again.

As someone else mentioned Audi has risen on the list for reliability ratings but I'll never buy one again. I have an A6 and had an issue with a rollover valve on the gas tank. I discovered the issue after filling up the tank and smelling gas in the cabin. Called Audi and they said "yeah, that's an issue we're aware of and have sent out recall notices." The recall notices were for 2001 to 2004 and mine was a 2000 so I wasn't notified. It was the same part, same issue in all aspects but Audi still told me to pound sand and if I wanted it fixed it would all come from my pocket. The least they could have done was at least notify me that I might be leaking gas but of course that opens up the door for accepting responsibility.

yes, they were considered poor as recently as 10 years ago... Consumer Reports says they have really shored up their manufacturing over the past 6 years

yes, they were considered poor as recently as 10 years ago... Consumer Reports says they have really shored up their manufacturing over the past 6 years
I believe that the reliability (i.e. the car itself) is better than it was when I bough mine. The issue that I'm specifically talking about in my example is with customer service which was very recent (two years ago).

Just one example in a sea so take it with a grain of salt but they really jacked me around and didn't give a damn (and this isn't just local because I contacted corporate about the situation).

Last edited by a moderator:
Phil Elliott said:
Ford Expedition? 78.8" wide. We had one for 10 years and loved it - very few issues.
i didn't realize it was that narrow... I'll re-look at it. Damn it's long tho

Where are you getting your reviews for the GC? I have one and love it. When I bought mine in '12, it had very good reviews. I just did a quick search of Edmunds, car and driver and consumer reports, and it looks like the '15 and '16's get good reviews too.
My Lease is up next month and mine was the biggest piece of #### I ever owned... Transmission had so many issues - they had the car for weeks at a time and had no idea what was wrong, and now my lease miles will be short... Got screwed in so many ways... Can't wait to just turn this thing in and buy Japanese again..

Just hoping it lasts the month...

smoke monster said:
smoke monster said:
Tahoe is easily one of the best vehicles on the road and not much bigger than a Durango.

Dodge's are some of the worst vehicles

2007-2014 are the best looking Tahoe's in my opinion but the new ones aren't bad
Consumer Reports would disagree, rating the vehicle as a 67, much worse than the durango (and it really is quite a bit bigger)

and: Based on the latest survey, we expect reliability of new models will be 95% below average
That's interesting, I haven't looked into the new generation much as I'm not a big fan of the facelift. I have worked in many different facets of the auto industry for the past 15 years and over that timespan the GM SUV's have been far superior to Chrysler. For size I was going by the weight, but the Tahoe is only an inch and a half wider than a new Ford Explorer.I wouldn't keep pushing that Trailblazer too long if you're towing that much weight with it. Honestly your best bet as some others have said is probably a quad cab pick up, they are awesome. When i was younger I thought I hated driving large vehicles but once I got used to it I actually prefer it now. I have a Chevy Avalanche that has been fantastic.

The Ford eco-boost pick ups are a blast to drive...but if you insist on an SUV I would say slightly used late model Tahoe.

Toyota's aren't all they're made up to be...my friend bought a new Tundra and he's now on his 4th windshield...they keep cracking from tiny stones...the only time I ever cracked a windshield was when I got a new Corrolla as a rental. They have their issues too.
Wow this is uncanny. My Maxima had a windshield cracked by a rock a few years ago. Then just a month or so ago got a chip in it from a (presumably) different rock. I'm going to see if there are any associated recalls.

Toyota Sequoia

Can haul 7,400 lbs.

Cheaper than the Mercedes.

Much more reliable than Mercedes and/or Dodge.

Winner, winner, go buy me a mother ####### chicken dinner!
Came in here to post about my Sequoia is an 03 has 275000 miles on it handles great, very reliable. I'll keep driving til the wheels fall off, then I'll buy a new one.

Users who are viewing this thread