What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Picking the draft order (1 Viewer)

JMon348

Footballguy
Too boring to pull names out of a hat. Anyone have any thing cool they do to pick their draft order? After watching The League on FX, everyone wants to make picking the order an event. I think they raced in a crowded airport line one year and raced toddlers the next.

Any ideas?

We pick out of a hat, but we made a video to share with the rest of the league. May be boring for the people not in the league, but entertaining for all the members.

Here is link to the youtube video if you wanna see..www.youtube.com/watch?v=3alTeWfZB8Y&feature=feedwll&list=WL

Last edited by a moderator:
Quarter bounces into the trophy cup

Play a game of card football

There was a time where beer bottle caps had card #'s in them (do not remember the brand or year of that one but you may be able to find some type of alternative)

Dollar bill poker

Each player benching their body weight - most reps drafts 1st...

we held a 12 man golf tourney (with handicaps).....winner decided what pick he wanted then second place and so on.....

one year we also had a poker tourney with the same concept....

We draw from a hat, but then that is the order that you get to choose your draft slot. So, whoever gets chosen first from the hat can choose any slot (1-14) for round 1 and then gets the corresponding round in our double serpentine style draft. This way there is a random element and a strategic element.

Just like in "The League", order is determined by how fast you can get through airport security.

We do ours NBA Lottery style.

Put pics of team logos in sealed envelopes, mix them up, add them to the mantle and open them in reverse one by one.

We draw names, but let them pick what spot they want to draft in. So if your name is picked first you can pick whatever draft slot you want. then everyone else can pick from whatever open slots remain. (not everyone wants the 6th pick, some would prefer the 12th).

We draw names, but let them pick what spot they want to draft in. So if your name is picked first you can pick whatever draft slot you want. then everyone else can pick from whatever open slots remain. (not everyone wants the 6th pick, some would prefer the 12th).
I like this idea.Anyone have some cool ideas for picking draft order for an online draft where the owners do not meet in person?

We do every single pick in the draft by drawing ping pong balls out of the trophy. Also first ball drawn is Mr. Irrelevant and than we move up so that the last ball drawn from the trophy is the #1 overall. With 12 teams it takes maybe 30-40 minutes, but it is a great time for trash talk. Also makes for trading picks a bit better because you have a little more value to work with sometimes.

We pick names out of the trophy at our post-season party. First iteration is for the divisions (two). We re-pick for draft position. First name out is last pick in draft - building to the suspense of #2 and #1 picks. I like the idea of letting managers choose their draft position, because we always debate the "best" position. (Normal serpentine draft, 10 teams.)

we held a 12 man golf tourney (with handicaps).....winner decided what pick he wanted then second place and so on.....one year we also had a poker tourney with the same concept....
I like these as well lol...what about going to horse track and everyone picking a horse and doing it that way.

We use a draft randomizer and what makes our 12 team. 14 rd draft unique we do random every other round! So if u got 1st pick on rd 1 u get 12 on rd 2 like serpentine hen its random again u could draw #6 in 3rd rd we do our draft order 2 mos prior to draft

I like this idea.Anyone have some cool ideas for picking draft order for an online draft where the owners do not meet in person?
We use the Fantasy Draft Order Generator at fftoolbox.com (http://www.fftoolbox.com/draft_order_generator.cfm). You enter the team names and e-mail addresses, then the generator sends an e-mail to everyone at the same time with the draft order. We also allow people to pick their draft slot, so the generator is the order that we select our draft slots. With a 3rd round reversal draft order, it definitely mixes things up a bit.

we are boring. we get as many people together as we canfor a cookout or something sometime during the summer, then do a double blind draw, where one cup has all names and another has all draft spots, then give the cups to a couple of the wives/gfs and let them draw from the cups simultaneously, thereby adding two random events and letting the wives/gf be involved in our fantasy event.

would love to do somethign fun like the league, but it is hard enough to get everyone together on draft date, but to have an event could never get everyone there.

If you can get everyone together then i suggest feats of strength festivus style to determine the draft order. if you dont like it u can then get it all out in the open at the airing of the grievances.

In one of my leagues we do the pick your own draft spot as well, though ours is based on previous year's finish as it is a keeper league.Cool ideas for online... um... of course there are random number generators for generating the order. Or you could pick some game on the net and give everyone a day to play it. Whoever ends up with the high score wins. Halo/etc frag-fest perhaps.Or you could do March Madness brackets in the off-season and use those results. Or even better to tie it to football, have some sort of playoff prediction contest for the NFL playoffs that set the order for the next year.

'montana_grizzly_bears said:
We do every single pick in the draft by drawing ping pong balls out of the trophy. Also first ball drawn is Mr. Irrelevant and than we move up so that the last ball drawn from the trophy is the #1 overall. With 12 teams it takes maybe 30-40 minutes, but it is a great time for trash talk. Also makes for trading picks a bit better because you have a little more value to work with sometimes.
Wait - can you unpack this a bit? You randomly assign every pick of every round?

'Polish Hammer said:
We draw from a hat, but then that is the order that you get to choose your draft slot. So, whoever gets chosen first from the hat can choose any slot (1-14) for round 1 and then gets the corresponding round in our double serpentine style draft. This way there is a random element and a strategic element.
I like this.

Wait - can you unpack this a bit? You randomly assign every pick of every round?
Yes, every pick is hand drawn going around a circle from the trophy. Like I said we start at pick 15.2, 15.11 and go up to 1.1. Since we don't use a league management page like espn/yahoo/etc there is about a 10 minute lull to input the picks into an html page on the internet. After that we start at 1.1 to pick players.

DRUNKEN DRAFT OLYMPICS

Some buddies had a "Drunken olympics" obstacle course set up in a nearby park. It includes a series of 8 or10 stations with stuff like funneling beers, kicking fieldgoals through vball nets, horseshoe tosses..etc..... but it's done in Sumo suits.

They videotape it and post it on youtube but I can't seem to find it right now.

EDIT:

:lmao:

Brett (Black shirt - referee) is my former coworker.... funny kid.

DRUNKEN DRAFT OLYMPICS

Some buddies had a "Drunken olympics" obstacle course set up in a nearby park. It includes a series of 8 or10 stations with stuff like funneling beers, kicking fieldgoals through vball nets, horseshoe tosses..etc..... but it's done in Sumo suits.

EDIT:

that is awesome!!!!!!

We are in a 10 team league so we use the State Lottery Pick 4. (Any lottery will do)

Each team is assigned a number 1-0(10). Everybody has this info ahead of time.

Then, starting on a determined date, we use the 4 digit number drawn by the State lottery. If the number comes up 7336, then the team assigned number 7 gets the 10th pick, number 3 the 9th pick, number 6 the 8th pick.

This continues until all picks are determined.

Our state has two drawings a day, so usually within two days the order is established. (Make sure everyone knows you're starting with the afternoon drawing, if that's the case)

There could never be a question of it being fixed, and I personally like the suspense of how it unfolds.

DRUNKEN DRAFT OLYMPICS

EDIT:

This is amazing. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Yes, every pick is hand drawn going around a circle from the trophy. Like I said we start at pick 15.2, 15.11 and go up to 1.1. Since we don't use a league management page like espn/yahoo/etc there is about a 10 minute lull to input the picks into an html page on the internet. After that we start at 1.1 to pick players.
So, you have 12 slips with 12 team names. They all go in the trophy. You pick 15.12-15.01, then all the names go back in the trophy, and you pick 14.12-14.01?So theoretically, one guy could end up with the 12th pick in every round?

We are in a 10 team league so we use the State Lottery Pick 4. (Any lottery will do)

Each team is assigned a number 1-0(10). Everybody has this info ahead of time.

Then, starting on a determined date, we use the 4 digit number drawn by the State lottery. If the number comes up 7336, then the team assigned number 7 gets the 10th pick, number 3 the 9th pick, number 6 the 8th pick.

This continues until all picks are determined.

Our state has two drawings a day, so usually within two days the order is established. (Make sure everyone knows you're starting with the afternoon drawing, if that's the case)

There could never be a question of it being fixed, and I personally like the suspense of how it unfolds.
Unless one of the Men in Black who fix the lottery also happens to be in your league... :tinfoilhat:

So, you have 12 slips with 12 team names. They all go in the trophy. You pick 15.12-15.01, then all the names go back in the trophy, and you pick 14.12-14.01?So theoretically, one guy could end up with the 12th pick in every round?
Ping pong balls work better since you can move em around easier and mix better without them sticking inside one another or drawing two pieces at once. And yes, theoretically, someone can end up with pick 12 each round. It has never happened though. Closest we had happen was a guy didnt have a pick higher than 6th from rounds 15 down to like the 4th than he ended up getting something like 4.2, 3.4, 2.2, and 1.3. It isnt the most perfect way to randomize but it leads to lots of talk for the draw.It is also stipulated in the draft rules that the trophy must be held above eye level by the previous person while you draw out a ball. That way people cannot see which ball they are pulling since they have the team logo on them.

DRUNKEN DRAFT OLYMPICS

EDIT:

THIS IS GREATNESS!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread