What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Plaxico Burress Guarantees Victory (1 Viewer)

He didn't guarantee anything. They asked him his prediction and he gave a final score and said he believes in his team. It's a lot different then Joe Namath.

And the owner is always going to say he thinks his team can win. Do you want your team owner to say, "No, I like my guys but they can't win. I can't beleive I have to pay the bill to fly them there." :lmao:

And the suits were a "business trip" idea.

The Boston media needs to calm down and stop looking for reasons to hype their team. Frankly, they don't need any more reasons then Tom Brady and 18-0.
Well they were black suits, so I am sure there is more to it then that..."There’s a reason each member of the Giants arrived in Phoenix wearing a black suit yesterday."

Newsday link

CHANDLER, Ariz. - Antonio Pierce was not familiar with Johnny Cash's famous line. Maybe it's better that way.

Cash, told by a record executive that his all-black attire made it look like he was going to a funeral, replied, "Maybe I am."

:

Fullback Madison Hedgecock, who is from North Carolina, was loitering outside the media room in his black shirt and black pants. He smiled at the Cash reference. "Team unity," he said.
Just more fodder for the Patriots locker room...
Alias, you are too bright to actually think this "fodder" means anything. Especially to a NE team that is beyond professional. For one, you and many others are trying to make a mountain out of a molehill. Second of all, who cares? Plax could say whatever he wants, it wont make NE play harder nor better.Man, NE fans are a tough group to deal with. :shrug:

I am just saying it adds to the motivation. It is incidents like this that Belichick will use as fodder to motivate the troops, he has done it in the past putting newspaper headlines in the locker room, I see this as no different.

Brady Surprised by Burress' Prediction

Brady surprised by Burress' prediction

By BARRY WILNER, AP Football Writer 1 hour, 56 minutes ago

PHOENIX - Tom Brady scoffed. Plaxico Burress wondered what all the attention was about.

Brady was puzzled by Burress' prediction that the New York Giants would beat the New England Patriots 23-17 in Sunday's Super Bowl. The fact Burress picked the Giants hardly surprised the league's MVP. The score certainly did.

"We're only going to score 17 points?" Brady said Wednesday morning before chuckling. "OK. Is Plax playing defense?

"I wish he had said 45-42 and gave us a little credit for more points."

Considering the Patriots set an NFL record by scoring 589 points, Brady's 50 touchdown passes were the most ever for one season, and Randy Moss broke Jerry Rice's mark with 23 TD catches, Burress might have been a bit chintzy.

"I know they have confidence. They should have confidence," Brady said. "They are the NFC champions.

"I learned a lesson early in my career: No matter what you say during the week — and God knows we say a lot this week — we're going to be focused on going out and winning this game. We're confident, but I don't think we share our thoughts with everybody."

Burress did. And when he showed up 33 minutes late for the Giants' media session Wednesday morning, there was speculation the wide receiver was trying to avoid the spotlight.

Turns out Burress was spending time with his 1-year-old son and family at breakfast, claiming he was unaware so many people wanted to interrogate him about his prediction.

Nor was he aware, he said, that a hefty fine comes with missing a Super Bowl week media session.

"I don't understand what the fuss is about," Burress said, surrounded by at least as many TV cameras, microphones and notepads as Brady was two hours earlier. "Nobody wants to lose.

"All this is entertainment, It's sports and sports are entertainment. So 23-17 is the prediction I made, but the game still has to be played."

Told about Brady's reaction to that score, Burress said he wasn't dissing anyone.

"I'm not taking anything away from what those guys accomplished," he said. "They set all the records you could possibly imagine. They have a great quarterback, the MVP, who threw for a record (50) touchdowns. Randy set a TD record for catches. They had two receivers with over 100 catches.

"The numbers don't lie about what they have done."

Nor do the numbers 23-17 lie about what Burress thinks.

"Hey, look how much fun everybody is having with it," he said. "It makes national, international headlines. But the game still has to be played."

So Brady is guaranteeing a 45-42 win now. Interesting.
sigh....how exactly do you get Brady giving a guarantee out him saying "I wish he had said 45-42 and gave us a little credit for more points."

Obviously (well apparently not too obvious I guess) alluding to Plax and the Giants having the 45 points...

sigh....how exactly do you get Brady giving a guarantee out him saying "I wish he had said 45-42 and gave us a little credit for more points."

Obviously (well apparently not too obvious I guess) alluding to Plax and the Giants having the 45 points...
Looks like you caught a hook. This looks like a :goodposting: trip to me.
Yeah I know, but if he felt writing something stupid on a message board in hopes of response or acknowledgment makes his/her feel good then I have done my good deed for the day...

Last edited by a moderator:
All of this made up hype is getting old. Have you guys listened to some of the questions being asked at these media sessions? There are some very stupid questions being asked in an attempt to get something like this to happen. And if they don't get the answer they liked the first time, they will ask it again in a different way in hopes of getting a story. Plax was asked what he thought the final score will be. He gave an answer which then gets misquoted into a guarantee, which then gets turned into the biggest off week story. If that is the worst thing that a player says all week then that is pretty darn good. IMO.

All of this made up hype is getting old. Have you guys listened to some of the questions being asked at these media sessions? There are some very stupid questions being asked in an attempt to get something like this to happen. And if they don't get the answer they liked the first time, they will ask it again in a different way in hopes of getting a story. Plax was asked what he thought the final score will be. He gave an answer which then gets misquoted into a guarantee, which then gets turned into the biggest off week story. If that is the worst thing that a player says all week then that is pretty darn good. IMO.
:lmao: Its been real mild this week. Kinda boring, actually. Lets just get to gametime!

Looks like you caught a hook. This looks like a :fishing: trip to me.
I thought that was too obvious to even be considered fishing :doh: Play the stupid game already --- I'm ready for March Madness

These clowns never ever learn. :football: Let us know how those words taste, Plax,during your postgame backpedal....... errrr interview.
The only clowns are people who believe that these guarantees affect the outcome of the game. As if the Patriots were not preparing to play their best, but now that Plaxico guaranteed the win, they will now try.
Maybe what this reveals is the relative focus of each club. The Patriots show more focus because not one of them are firing back with a guarantee of their own. The Patriots are mentally disciplined, functioning as a unit, and respectful of each other, the team, and the mission. The Giants are undisciplined, mouthing off, giving each other dirty looks, etc.

Road Warriors said:
Franchise Playa said:
freelander said:

Looks like you caught a hook. This looks like a :goodposting: trip to me.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

These clowns never ever learn. :football: Let us know how those words taste, Plax,during your postgame backpedal....... errrr interview.
The only clowns are people who believe that these guarantees affect the outcome of the game. As if the Patriots were not preparing to play their best, but now that Plaxico guaranteed the win, they will now try.
Maybe what this reveals is the relative focus of each club. The Patriots show more focus because not one of them are firing back with a guarantee of their own. The Patriots are mentally disciplined, functioning as a unit, and respectful of each other, the team, and the mission. The Giants are undisciplined, mouthing off, giving each other dirty looks, etc.
:thumbdown: I'm sorry,I just found it funny that you think the Plax statement "reveals" a lack of focus and discipline on the Giants. I guess it didn't take much focus or discipline to win three road playoff games just to get in the position to appear undisciplined and unfocused. The Giants may not win but it won't be because of a lack of discipline or focus,it'll be because The Pats were the better team on Sunday.

Plaxico, WOW this cat won't stop talking.Plax said NE better double team Him all day.Then He went on to say, Belichick better call His Pal Parcells to game plan on how to stop Him.He said that He plans on making at least three trips to the House this Sunday.Keep talkng. :shrug: :kicksrock:
At least he's succeeded in getting Whiny Tool Nation all hot and bothered.
I don't know. Giants fans seem pretty cool. Why do you call them Whiney Tools?

PatsFanCT said:
Plaxico, WOW this cat won't stop talking.Plax said NE better double team Him all day.Then He went on to say, Belichick better call His Pal Parcells to game plan on how to stop Him.He said that He plans on making at least three trips to the House this Sunday.Keep talkng. :lmao: :shrug:
You can take the player out of the Steelers,but you just can't take the Steeler out of the player..

The Patriots will be lucky to score 20+. The Giants have seen the best New England has to offer and they almost pulled off the upset. With some time to plan they should crush the Patriots for one of the greatest upsets.

These clowns never ever learn. :no: Let us know how those words taste, Plax,during your postgame backpedal....... errrr interview.
I knew he would put his foot in his mouth at some point. He was talking about how the Giants have better WR's earlier so I figured he would make some sort of prediction.He'll probably just pull a TO after the game and say "I still think we are a better team than the Pats, we just didn't execute and make the plays we needed to in order to win" speech instead of giving the Pats their due.
He'd have to burst into manufactured tears after the game to "pull a T.O."

The Patriots will be lucky to score 20+.
And you say because NE scored 30+ with only half their playbook?As far as Plax's guarantee, IMO, the problem isn't so much it motivates the other team -- it's that it now puts undue focus & pressure on himself. I mean, it's the Super Bowl -- there are a billion people watching. That is enough pressure. Why compound that with the fact that you now have to back up your bravado in front of said billion.

I'd like Burress to guarantee that he'll practice this week first.

Plexiglass will regret his comments.

"""Brady surprised by Burress' prediction

By BARRY WILNER, AP Football Writer

PHOENIX - Tom Brady scoffed. Plaxico Burress wondered what all the attention was about.

Brady was puzzled by Burress' prediction that the New York Giants would beat the New England Patriots 23-17 in Sunday's Super Bowl. The fact Burress picked the Giants hardly surprised the league's MVP. The score certainly did.

"We're only going to score 17 points?" Brady said Wednesday morning before chuckling. "OK. Is Plax playing defense?"""

and brady can just keep on chuckling

There's a million threads that need bumped, and possibly stickied so that we can continue to laugh at the Patriots and their fans until next season. The one about the odds that the Patriots win the Super Bowl comes to mind. Lots of "The Pats are the best team eva! There is no doubt now! 10000% chance they win! Patriots will win by 40 points!" type chest thumping going on in there.

This is great.

ETA: At least laugh at the obnoxious fans. Some Pats fans are good peoples.

Last edited by a moderator:
Plaxico, WOW this cat won't stop talking.Plax said NE better double team Him all day.Then He went on to say, Belichick better call His Pal Parcells to game plan on how to stop Him.He said that He plans on making at least three trips to the House this Sunday.Keep talkng. :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
You can take the player out of the Steelers,but you just can't take the Steeler out of the player..
:lmao: Steelers win 2 years ago, and now Plax gets his ring. :thumbdown:

Users who are viewing this thread