What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Player Spotlight: Cedric Benson (1 Viewer)

i'm no thomas jones fan, but i think they'll regret moving him to get this dud on the field. benson couldn't beat out jones, so they had to literally clear a path for him. i wouldn't draft this guy with someone else's team. he'll be even more worthless in PPR. 229 875 3.8 8 and 17 125 7.4 0
:o Nothing more to add.

i'm no thomas jones fan, but i think they'll regret moving him to get this dud on the field. benson couldn't beat out jones, so they had to literally clear a path for him. i wouldn't draft this guy with someone else's team. he'll be even more worthless in PPR.

229 875 3.8 8 and 17 125 7.4 0
:o Nothing more to add.
Quick hypothetical question for both of you. Kindly indulge me for a moment.If somehow your LIFE depended on answering the following question correctly, and the question was "Will Cedric Benson rush for more than 876 yards in 2007, or fewer than 876 yards in 2007?".... which side would you be on?

Please answer honestly.

I don`t think Benson will make it through the season.
Benson was very durable at Texas and has only had a couple minor nagging things happen to him since turning pro. What makes you think he's injury prone?
he probably watched the superbowl
:cry:
Since you're a Bears fan I know you will learn to love CB ;)
I'm very doubtful but I hope you're right.

i'm no thomas jones fan, but i think they'll regret moving him to get this dud on the field. benson couldn't beat out jones, so they had to literally clear a path for him. i wouldn't draft this guy with someone else's team. he'll be even more worthless in PPR.

:cry: Nothing more to add.
Quick hypothetical question for both of you. Kindly indulge me for a moment.If somehow your LIFE depended on answering the following question correctly, and the question was "Will Cedric Benson rush for more than 876 yards in 2007, or fewer than 876 yards in 2007?".... which side would you be on?

Please answer honestly.
If my life depended on it, I'd have to go with the over. Benson will get plenty of chances since the defense of Chicago is so dominating and it should turn the ball back over the offense relatively quickly. Also, injuries are hard to predict and just because he was injured last year and the year before, the odds of him being injured again are not increased simply becuase he was injured before. If it was a recurring issue, then I could see factoring that in.Have a nice day ;)

:goodposting: Nothing more to add.

Please answer honestly.
If my life depended on it, I'd have to go with the over. Benson will get plenty of chances since the defense of Chicago is so dominating and it should turn the ball back over the offense relatively quickly. Also, injuries are hard to predict and just because he was injured last year and the year before, the odds of him being injured again are not increased simply becuase he was injured before. If it was a recurring issue, then I could see factoring that in.Have a nice day :D
Thanks, but I was primarily asking the guys who are ridiculously predicting only 54 YPG out of him. ;)

:goodposting: Nothing more to add.

Please answer honestly.
If my life depended on it, I'd have to go with the over. Benson will get plenty of chances since the defense of Chicago is so dominating and it should turn the ball back over the offense relatively quickly. Also, injuries are hard to predict and just because he was injured last year and the year before, the odds of him being injured again are not increased simply becuase he was injured before. If it was a recurring issue, then I could see factoring that in.Have a nice day :D
Thanks, but I was primarily asking the guys who are ridiculously predicting only 54 YPG out of him. :D
Hey. He'll do that before he hits 2211. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
IMHO Benson is pretty much as close to a lock to finish as a RB1 as almost any other RB1 in the league. I think he makes a VERY safe pick.
:lmao: :cry: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
:blackdot: Whats so funny about saying someone is a virtual lock to finish in the top 12 of RBs? He has no competition, he has a great offensive line, he plays for a team that loves to run the ball so he will get a ton of carries, he is the goalline back, he plays for a team that has a great defense. What the hell is not to like about him except his health? Like I said if he is healthy he is a lock to finish in the top 12. Hes one of the safest picks out there and most people can probably draft him as their RB2.

IMHO Benson is pretty much as close to a lock to finish as a RB1 as almost any other RB1 in the league. I think he makes a VERY safe pick.
if this guy is your RB1, you're in a world of hurt. especially in a PPR. you must either be from chicago, or texas. thank you for your homerism.
:blackdot: Im from NY and Im not a Bears fan. Thats the thing with Benson. You can most likely draft him as your RB2 and I think its fairly safe to say he will finish in the top 12 RBs as long as he stays healthy. There is just too much opportunity and too many good things on that team to prevent him from doing so.

:cry: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
:lmao: Whats so funny about saying someone is a virtual lock to finish in the top 12 of RBs? He has no competition, he has a great offensive line, he plays for a team that loves to run the ball so he will get a ton of carries, he is the goalline back, he plays for a team that has a great defense. What the hell is not to like about him except his health? Like I said if he is healthy he is a lock to finish in the top 12. Hes one of the safest picks out there and most people can probably draft him as their RB2.
:blackdot: once again ... barring injury, i'm guessing he'll way outperform his draft position

JOC, why do you say he's soft? What in his college and pro-career has he done on the field to support this claim? Please don't bother including any editorial comment by the Chicago area media as it was fairly well-established that they were unmerciful in their treatment of him, even drawing strong rebukes from the coaching staff and a moratorium on talking to Chi-area beat writers.

He's soft. He's was soft at Texas except maybe his senior year. He been soft so far in his Bears career including the playoffs. Also, he just doesnt have breakaway ability. The bonus for him is that he'll be counted on unless Grossman makes a major jump. I predict he'll miss some time due to minor injuries, but when he plays he'll be an effective RB2 as he'll probably get goalline carries.235 attempts964 yards (4.1 per)9 TDs15 receptions106 yards0 TDs

I see Benson as a Rudi Johnson type with more upside. Not a gold mine in PPR's, but a solid prospect playing on a grind it out team who "run out" leads. Solid 2nd round selection in 10-12 team leagues.

Footballguys Scoring, Redaft

The Bears last year had a total of 503 rushing attempts which ranks 5th in the NFL. They had 14 rushing touchdowns and were 15th in the league in total rushing yards with 1918. Of those yards Thomas Jones accounted for 1210 yards rushing and 6 rushing TD's while Benson had 647 yards rushing and 6 TD's, while both TJ and Benson averaged 4.1 yards per rush.

According to the current (5/23/07) footballguys redaft rankings Benson ranks #18. Benson should prove to be great value in the second round for fantasy owners this year and will probably end up being picked anywhere from pick 13 to 24.

Benson: 330 carries, 1386 yards rushing, and 13 TD's

Footballguys Scoring, RedaftThe Bears last year had a total of 503 rushing attempts which ranks 5th in the NFL. They had 14 rushing touchdowns and were 15th in the league in total rushing yards with 1918. Of those yards Thomas Jones accounted for 1210 yards rushing and 6 rushing TD's while Benson had 647 yards rushing and 6 TD's, while both TJ and Benson averaged 4.1 yards per rush. According to the current (5/23/07) footballguys redaft rankings Benson ranks #18. Benson should prove to be great value in the second round for fantasy owners this year and will probably end up being picked anywhere from pick 13 to 24. Benson: 330 carries, 1386 yards rushing, and 13 TD's
I think these numbers are pretty good. He might chip in another 20-30 catches for 150-250 yards as well, tough to say. I like Benson as kind of a boom or bust guy. I always predict numbers based on 16 games.

From Rotoworld:

Adrian Peterson, not Cedric Benson, took nearly all the first-team repetitions at Bears practice Saturday.Benson has been fumbling in practice and was "a little sore," according to coach Lovie Smith. The Chicago Tribune reports there didn't seem to be anything to the depth chart switch, but Benson will at least lose third-down work to Peterson. It's already a concern that Benson, a full-time starter for the first time, doesn't do the "little things" well.
I think Im gonna slide him a bit in my rankings. I just dont trust him.

It's pretty hard to project the other AP's contribution to the offense . . . he may steal carries; and we know he will be in there on passing downs . . . food for thought . . .

From Rotoworld:

Adrian Peterson, not Cedric Benson, took nearly all the first-team repetitions at Bears practice Saturday.Benson has been fumbling in practice and was "a little sore," according to coach Lovie Smith. The Chicago Tribune reports there didn't seem to be anything to the depth chart switch, but Benson will at least lose third-down work to Peterson. It's already a concern that Benson, a full-time starter for the first time, doesn't do the "little things" well.
Last time I seen him play was in the "Big Game" and he had a fumble, busted knee on back to back plays. That performance told me all I need to know about this guy.

Not particularly impressed with his receiving abilities, so he could lose 3rd down opportunities, but I think with the added offensive weapons this year to spread the field, Benson will flourish. He was a workhorse at Texas and has had an injury bug, but I think osme of that was his being upset with being behind Thomas Jones. Now that there is no true threat I look for:

300 carries, 1320 yards, 10TD and 25 catches for 175 yds. I would say I would take 1500 all purpose and 10 TD as my #2 RB

Keith Lewis said:
shadyridr said:
From Rotoworld:

Last time I seen him play was in the "Big Game" and he had a fumble, busted knee on back to back plays. That performance told me all I need to know about this guy.
yep

Keith Lewis said:
shadyridr said:
From Rotoworld:

yep
Any RB that ever gets injured should just retire. I agree, he's worthless. :popcorn:

Keith Lewis said:
shadyridr said:
From Rotoworld:

This post is all I need to see to wish I was in a league with you.

I was starting to think he was going to be a value. Every year there's some guy who has the undisputed lock on a starting RB job, people let him slide because he hasn't been good in the past, and he blows up. But if it's true that Adrian Peterson is taking carries, he should drop even futher than where he's being drafted. I don't want to spend a top 15 pick on a guy who doesn't even have an undisputed starting position.

I was starting to think he was going to be a value. Every year there's some guy who has the undisputed lock on a starting RB job, people let him slide because he hasn't been good in the past, and he blows up. But if it's true that Adrian Peterson is taking carries, he should drop even futher than where he's being drafted. I don't want to spend a top 15 pick on a guy who doesn't even have an undisputed starting position.
I wouldn't read too much into Benson's day off. I am a Bear's fan who has been a voice of criticism for Benson's negative attitude since the day he has joined the Bears, but in the case of AP seeing extensive carries I wouldn't put too much stock in to it. After Lovie Smith's first year where he worked the players to death, and a lot of veterans got hurt, Smith has taken a new approach and has learned not to push a player to the point of injury. Veterans on the Bears will all see off days throughout camp, and while I would like to see Benson prove himself before getting considered as a veteran, I'm sure Lovie knows that he can't afford to lose his running back like last year when TJ and Benson both missed significant preseason time.

I wouldn't read too much into Benson's day off. I am a Bear's fan who has been a voice of criticism for Benson's negative attitude since the day he has joined the Bears, but in the case of AP seeing extensive carries I wouldn't put too much stock in to it. After Lovie Smith's first year where he worked the players to death, and a lot of veterans got hurt, Smith has taken a new approach and has learned not to push a player to the point of injury. Veterans on the Bears will all see off days throughout camp, and while I would like to see Benson prove himself before getting considered as a veteran, I'm sure Lovie knows that he can't afford to lose his running back like last year when TJ and Benson both missed significant preseason time.
this sounds too logical and level headed...therefore I'll be ignoring your post. :sadbanana:

Keith Lewis said:
shadyridr said:
From Rotoworld:

Never gets old. :confused:

If you read the full article from the Chicago Tribune, there is nothing to indicate that Benson is in danger of losing his starting spot.http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-home-headlines

Lovie: Peterson move no message

Coach says Benson just needed a rest

By John Mullin and Vaughn McClure

Tribune staff reporters

August 4, 2007, 7:38 PM CDT

BOURBONNAIS -- Lineup mix-and-matching is a routine part of training camp but the number of Bears in different places Saturday, or no place at all, was enough to raise some eyebrows.

Running back Adrian Peterson took virtually all of the reps with the first offense in place of Cedric Benson. Benson has put the ball on the ground a few more times than coaches would like but there was no evidence of sending any sort of message to the No. 1 tailback.

"Once you go through a week or so, most of the skill players can use a day off," coach Lovie Smith said. "Cedric was a little sore so I had him get a few individual reps and held him out the rest of the time.

"Adrian is a big part of what we're going to do. Once you have a player like that move into that role, it's always good to see them play with the 1's."

- Coachspeak: it's nice to see the backup get reps. Let's keep him motivated in case Benson gets hurt.

Either you can play or you can`t. Da Bears let go of the wrong RB..TJ
Thanks, that's useful. I noticed how much difficulty Ced Benson had performing in college. And last year, when he averaged the exact same yard per carry as TJ.

Keith Lewis said:
shadyridr said:
From Rotoworld:

Adrian Peterson, not Cedric Benson, took nearly all the first-team repetitions at Bears practice Saturday.

Benson has been fumbling in practice and was "a little sore," according to coach Lovie Smith. The Chicago Tribune reports there didn't seem to be anything to the depth chart switch, but Benson will at least lose third-down work to Peterson. It's already a concern that Benson, a full-time starter for the first time, doesn't do the "little things" well.

Why is this line always thrown around like it's the ultimate cut-down. It's not. This isn't 4th grade. And contrary to popular belief, as much as u think you know about football, someone knows more.Newsflash: Saying "man, can I get in your league" or "wish you were in my league" isn't cool and isn't funny and makes you look silly. The end.

Irish said:
Routilla said:
I would take him as a #3 RB but not a #2.
I would take C. Palmer as my #2 qb, but best of luck on your dream of getting Benson as your #3 rb.
He's going 29th overall right now in mock drafts, so 3rd rd would suggest a #3RB if you took RBs in the 1st 3 rds.

Keith Lewis said:
shadyridr said:
From Rotoworld:

yep
Any RB that ever gets injured should just retire. I agree, he's worthless. :lmao:
Yep. That's what i meant.

Well, I think it's foolish to either write him off completely, or to make him a vital part of your squad. To me Cedric screams "depth with upside." If you could platoon him with another back in the 24-30 range (Brandon Jacobs, Thomas Jones, Caddy...guys like that) while taking a stronger wideout or Manning or something, he could have some real nice value.

He should not be drafted at this point any earlier than round 4 though IMO.

Well, I think it's foolish to either write him off completely, or to make him a vital part of your squad. To me Cedric screams "depth with upside." If you could platoon him with another back in the 24-30 range (Brandon Jacobs, Thomas Jones, Caddy...guys like that) while taking a stronger wideout or Manning or something, he could have some real nice value. He should not be drafted at this point any earlier than round 4 though IMO.
Well, you are pretty much at odds with the FF community on that one. He rarely slips past the second round and I have never seen him fall farther than mid-third. Hope you enjoy the hater-ade.

Well, I think it's foolish to either write him off completely, or to make him a vital part of your squad. To me Cedric screams "depth with upside." If you could platoon him with another back in the 24-30 range (Brandon Jacobs, Thomas Jones, Caddy...guys like that) while taking a stronger wideout or Manning or something, he could have some real nice value. He should not be drafted at this point any earlier than round 4 though IMO.
Well, you are pretty much at odds with the FF community on that one. He rarely slips past the second round and I have never seen him fall farther than mid-third. Hope you enjoy the hater-ade.
Why am I being a hater. I wouldn't take him in the second round right now (of course I wouldn't draft right now either). If he's not sliding far enough for me, doesn't mean I don't like him. I guess I am more risk-averse than most. No big deal. Lot's of other people to choose from.Do you draft using ADP or something? I prefer to form my own opinions.

Keith Lewis said:
shadyridr said:
From Rotoworld:

Adrian Peterson, not Cedric Benson, took nearly all the first-team repetitions at Bears practice Saturday.

Benson has been fumbling in practice and was "a little sore," according to coach Lovie Smith. The Chicago Tribune reports there didn't seem to be anything to the depth chart switch, but Benson will at least lose third-down work to Peterson. It's already a concern that Benson, a full-time starter for the first time, doesn't do the "little things" well.

Why is this line always thrown around like it's the ultimate cut-down. It's not. This isn't 4th grade. And contrary to popular belief, as much as u think you know about football, someone knows more.Newsflash: Saying "man, can I get in your league" or "wish you were in my league" isn't cool and isn't funny and makes you look silly. The end.
Newsflash....the real meaning is that if you make your conclusions about a player after one game then you are a guppie. Read between the lines man, your better than that or at least I hope you are.

I think the reason Benson is going so early (late 2nd/early 3rd) is desperation. People drafting at those spots are looking at the remaining backs and they see a sad collection of players (rookies, RBBC, aging vets, injury prone players) and Cedric Benson. He's a talented starting back for a good running team and seems to have a lock on the role of feature back. People are looking at Benson and thinking "If I don't take Benson here, am I going to screwed at RB?"

:blackdot:

Why am I being a hater. I wouldn't take him in the second round right now (of course I wouldn't draft right now either). If he's not sliding far enough for me, doesn't mean I don't like him. I guess I am more risk-averse than most. No big deal. Lot's of other people to choose from.Do you draft using ADP or something? I prefer to form my own opinions.
No, i look at trends and find value, which does have something to do with ADP. I figure out the players that are undervalued and tend to go for them. All I'm saying is that if you wait until the fourth you'll never get him. But I'm guessing that wouldn't bother. Also this is the second post I've seen you chiming in either trashing a Bears player or the team, without giving much real reason (if any) to back it up. That is pretty much being a hater, but you're entitled to your opinion.

Benson is a guy I think you have to consider drafting on situation alone.

1. In 5 years, Adrian Peterson has 133 carries for the Bears. Granted they drafted Garrett Wolfe, but both of these guys seem more than destined to alternate on 3rd downs, not threaten Benson's workload on 1st & 2nd down.

2. Jones & Benson combined for 453 carries in 2006. If Benson only assumes 75% of that workload, that's still 340 carries.

3. Rex Grossman. I actually think he was unfairly maligned last year but at the end of the day Chicago is going to be a team that is going to put the game in the hands of it's defense more often than not, not it's QB.

So at the very least, assuming Benson stays healthy - he's a lock for a minimum of 300 carries and if he starts to find his groove, could approach 340-350. This is not out of the realm of possibility considering that he never shared the RB1 position in college. If he in fact is a guy who thrives on wearing down the defense as the game drags on (and coming out of college, this is how many forecasted him), then a 4.3-4.4 YPC is plausible as well.

So top end rushing forecasts for him could look like this:

345 carries at 4.35 YPC = 1500 yards.

I think the interesting thing about Benson is how universally disliked he appears to be. Simply put though, he is vital to the Bears success and I see him as developing into a Rudi Johnson clone who does not have the aerial attack Johnson does to compete with. In addition, he will be the goal line battering ram. As such, I see Benson as being a much lower risk than perceived investment and trend towards him hitting the high end of the expectation curve.

Prediction: 334 carries, 1436 rushing yards, 13 TD's; 21 receptions 142 receiving yards, 0 TD's.

Dirty Weasel - Thanks for the good post. But, your projections are way too low on receptions. He caught 3 balls ON THE FIRST DRIVE LAST MIGHT. he will be worked into the passing game much more than what the fantasy community is currently expecting.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
:confused: Whats so funny about saying someone is a virtual lock to finish in the top 12 of RBs? He has no competition, he has a great offensive line, he plays for a team that loves to run the ball so he will get a ton of carries, he is the goalline back, he plays for a team that has a great defense. What the hell is not to like about him except his health? Like I said if he is healthy he is a lock to finish in the top 12. Hes one of the safest picks out there and most people can probably draft him as their RB2.
I'm a Bears homer, and I don't even have that optimistic of an outlook on the Benson and the Bears. I would not really characterize their OL as great, first of all. They're a pretty old OL at this point, have already been dealing with injuries the past couple years, and I feel like injuries are pretty much a guarantee somewhere along the line this season as well. I also don't know if the Bears will love to run the ball as much without Thomas Jones, in that I think they will be less likely to run the ball 35 times without two backs they feel are starting quality. I like AP a lot, and think he could actually be a decent starter, but I don't think the Bears want to use him that much. It's probably partially because of the fact that AP is a special teams stud. Anyways, the point is I don't feel sure that Benson is going to just get all the carries that both he and TJ had gotten last year. I would expect him to average around 18-22 a game.I'd love to see Benson do well, but I've had a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach every time I think about him since last year. I haven't really been wowed by his performance on the field and his injuries issues have been a concern, particularly the "minor knee injury" that made him decide to take himself out of the Super Bowl. He's whiny. In interviews, he kinda sounds like he's on drugs and makes little sense. He's just kind of "off," IMO. He still doesn't seem to get along with his teammates. His heart and fire is definitely questionable at this point.But who knows? I think it's very possible he has a solid season, but expecting a huge year seems to be way too optimistic. I would predict something around 1250/8, 90/1.

No, i look at trends and find value, which does have something to do with ADP. I figure out the players that are undervalued and tend to go for them. All I'm saying is that if you wait until the fourth you'll never get him. But I'm guessing that wouldn't bother. Also this is the second post I've seen you chiming in either trashing a Bears player or the team, without giving much real reason (if any) to back it up. That is pretty much being a hater, but you're entitled to your opinion.
Well, I am a lifelong Packer backer so I have a predisposition toward chiding the Bears. I think I was in the Bears camp thread throwing a few daggers. I like Cedric in a way, but let's face it, he couldn't beat out Thomas Jones who is a glorified journeyman. Does he have upside....most certainly the Bears defense is awesome and will give lot of short fields. Could he fall short of that...certainly he has been reported to be aloof and Adrian Peterson could steal some catches.

"I think the reason Benson is going so early (late 2nd/early 3rd) is desperation. People drafting at those spots are looking at the remaining backs and they see a sad collection of players (rookies, RBBC, aging vets, injury prone players) and Cedric Benson. He's a talented starting back for a good running team and seems to have a lock on the role of feature back. People are looking at Benson and thinking "If I don't take Benson here, am I going to screwed at RB?"

Bingo. Im drafting in the 7th spot (12 team league). Im not a Benson lover or hater. I think he's in a good position to do well, but I discount that since he's proven himself to be whiny and immature and hasnt won over his teammates confidence. I'd like to take him in the 3rd -- but he wont be there for me in the 3rd.

By the time my 2nd pick comes around, Benson is pretty much the last decent RB option off the board, so I find myself reaching for him at 2.05. The only other option I seem to have is to pick Ahman Green in the 4th as my 2nd RB. Not sure that Ahman in the 4th isnt better than Benson in the 2nd, but neither option makes me happy...

Users who are viewing this thread