What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Player Spotlight: Reggie Bush, QB, Detroit Lions (1 Viewer)

Jason Wood

Zoo York
2013 Player Spotlight Series

One of Footballguys best assets is our message board community. The Shark Pool is, in our view, the best place on the internet to discuss, debate and analyze all things fantasy football. In what's become an annual tradition, the Player Spotlight series is a key part of the preseason efforts. As many of you know, we consider the Player Spotlight threads the permanent record for analyzing the fantasy prospects of the player in question. This year, we plan to publish more than 140 offensive spotlights covering the vast majority of expected skill position starters.

As always we will post a list of players to be discussed each week. Those threads will remain open for the entire preseason, and should be a central point to discuss expectations for the player in question.

Thread Topic: Reggie Bush, RB, Detroit Lions

Player Page Link: Reggie Bush Player Page

Each article will include:

• Detailed viewpoint from a Footballguys staff member
  • Links to thoughtful viewpoints from around the Web
  • FBG Projections

The Rules

In order for this thread to provide maximum value, we ask that you follow a few simple guidelines:

• Focus commentary on the player (or players) in question, and your expectations for said player (or players)
  • Back up your expectations in whatever manner you deem appropriate; avoid posts that simply say "I hate him" or "He's the best"
  • Avoid redundancies or things like "good posting" ... this should be about incremental analysis or debate

While not a requirement, we strongly encourage you to provide your own projections for the player (players):

Projections should include:

• For QBs: Attempts, Completions, Passing Yards, Passing TDs, Ints, Rush Attempts, Rush Yards, Rush TDs
  • For RBs: Rushes, Rushing Yards, Rush TDs, Receptions, Receiving Yards, Receiving TDs
  • For WRs & TEs: Receptions, Receiving Yards, Receiving TDs

Now let's get on with the conversation! We look forward to your contributions and let me offer a personal thanks in anticipation of the great debate and analysis.

I think he's one of the best value picks right now with his ADP to surely creep up. Given how the coach is talking and what the apparent game plan is, if healthy Bush could hit RB1 numbers. 250 rushes, 80+ catches. Without a solid secondary pass-option for Stafford, Bush could catch a ton of balls.

Last edited by a moderator:
Detroit lacks a solid option as a 2nd receiver, enter Reggie Bush. If the Lions are smart they will run LeShoure for grinding the clock and use Bush to get him in open space where he does a lot of things. The last 2 years in miami a relatively healthy Reggie bush racked up 1300 total yds and 8 TD a season. I would expect that number to climb a little in Detroit to about 1,500, TDs remain close to the same but the big difference will be his impact in PPR where he could easily rack up 60-80 receptions depending on how you feel he is going to be used in this offense. I would like to see Bush get about 10-12 carries a game and another 4-5 catches each week. Some weeks he will get a lot more, some weeks he will get less.

200-900-4Td, 64-550-4Td will give us 1450 total yards and 8 TD plus the 64 receptions which should put him in the top 8. He is a steal anything later than the early-mid 3rd. I think when drafts roll he will be a mid to late 2nd.

Lots of hype building. I think I'm buying it. I'll be back with projections later, but suffice to say I like Reggie Bush this year. Excited to see what others have got down.

:blackdot:

It seems like his ceiling (more so in PPR) should be sky high but for some reason he just makes me nervous. Do I trust him after what I saw in Miami? No, to be honest. I know that I should but I just don't. I don't trust Detroit running backs either. That shouldn't have anything to do with anything but it's just another red flag going up in my mind when I think about Mr. Reggie Bush. I have some honest questions that maybe you fellas could shed some light onto for me;

1) Are you worried about his health/injuries?

2) Do the Lions have a better or worse offensive line then Miami?

3) How do you see Bush in this offense (Primary in a RBBC, bell cow, etc.)?

4) Do you think he will see any action in the return game?

5) Should he be the back at pass pro on this team?

I would love to see 225+ carries and 75+ catches, but I think the more realistic carries will be 150+ and if I was the coach, that is where I would want it, definitely under 200. Bush will probably get close to 300 over all touches as it is because he will probably be returning some punts as well. I think he will have an awesome year, I think you just need to look at Kevin Smith when he was starting and his numbers and Bush is better than him at everything and it's not close. Bush has potential in my opinion to be top 5 in ppr leagues.On the conservative side I will say:

175/850/8

75/800/5

I am a big fan of Reggie Bush in Detroit. Calvin will draw the Def coverage, and the WR2/TE options do not make Def Cord's have any trouble sleeping. Stafford & Det Offense will rack up big passing yardage again... averaging 5000 yards a season for the past 2 yrs.

Joique Bell did a reasonable job with the 52 rec & 485 yards, but it was Kevin Smith at the start of the season before Bell got significant playing time. Added that Mikel LeShore had 34 rec and was more of a Short yardage RB (3.7 ypc)

IMO, Reggie offers a Darren Sproles situation and will produce similar numbers....

I see 155-165 carries for 650-700 yards with 4 TD's

Adding 70-75 rec for 650-700 yards with 8 TD's

This would put him just outside the Top 10 in Forte/Jones-Drew tier.

Added side note: In keeper league where I can only keep 2, I have to choose from A Peterson, J Charles & Reggie Bush.

So, I am a follower of Reggie to gauge his "trade value" or determine if I should keep him (it's a ppr).

I would love to see 225+ carries and 75+ catches, but I think the more realistic carries will be 150+ and if I was the coach, that is where I would want it, definitely under 200. Bush will probably get close to 300 over all touches as it is because he will probably be returning some punts as well. I think he will have an awesome year, I think you just need to look at Kevin Smith when he was starting and his numbers and Bush is better than him at everything and it's not close. Bush has potential in my opinion to be top 5 in ppr leagues.On the conservative side I will say: 175/850/875/800/5
I think he's lined up for a good year, but in no universe is 1650 yards and 13 TDs a "conservative" prediction.

I am a big fan of Reggie Bush in Detroit. Calvin will draw the Def coverage, and the WR2/TE options do not make Def Cord's have any trouble sleeping. Stafford & Det Offense will rack up big passing yardage again... averaging 5000 yards a season for the past 2 yrs. Joique Bell did a reasonable job with the 52 rec & 485 yards, but it was Kevin Smith at the start of the season before Bell got significant playing time. Added that Mikel LeShore had 34 rec and was more of a Short yardage RB (3.7 ypc) IMO, Reggie offers a Darren Sproles situation and will produce similar numbers.... I see 155-165 carries for 650-700 yards with 4 TD'sAdding 70-75 rec for 650-700 yards with 8 TD'sThis would put him just outside the Top 10 in Forte/Jones-Drew tier. Added side note: In keeper league where I can only keep 2, I have to choose from A Peterson, J Charles & Reggie Bush. So, I am a follower of Reggie to gauge his "trade value" or determine if I should keep him (it's a ppr).
Barring an injury, if you keep Bush over Peterson or Charles you should be monitored 24/7 after the season starts because you are going to want to do bad things to yourself and your television.

I am a big fan of Reggie Bush in Detroit. Calvin will draw the Def coverage, and the WR2/TE options do not make Def Cord's have any trouble sleeping. Stafford & Det Offense will rack up big passing yardage again... averaging 5000 yards a season for the past 2 yrs. Joique Bell did a reasonable job with the 52 rec & 485 yards, but it was Kevin Smith at the start of the season before Bell got significant playing time. Added that Mikel LeShore had 34 rec and was more of a Short yardage RB (3.7 ypc) IMO, Reggie offers a Darren Sproles situation and will produce similar numbers.... I see 155-165 carries for 650-700 yards with 4 TD's Adding 70-75 rec for 650-700 yards with 8 TD's This would put him just outside the Top 10 in Forte/Jones-Drew tier. Added side note: In keeper league where I can only keep 2, I have to choose from A Peterson, J Charles & Reggie Bush. So, I am a follower of Reggie to gauge his "trade value" or determine if I should keep him (it's a ppr).
Barring an injury, if you keep Bush over Peterson or Charles you should be monitored 24/7 after the season starts because you are going to want to do bad things to yourself and your television.
Yeah that's just pure insanity.

I'm not sure how much I'm buying into Bush. I really don't see him cracking the Top 10 unless Detroit is a SIGNIFICANTLY better team all around this year. He'll catch a lot of passes, I'm sure it'll be in the 60+ range. That said I don't see him getting much more than 150 or so touches unless LeShoure dies again. I'm more or less seeing Darren Sproles on a worse team. I'll say he comes in around...

150 attempts 650 yards 5 TDs

70 receptions 600 yards 3 TDs

Best was a stud for a short time in that offense. Kevin Smith was extremely effective. Bush is a much better player than Smith and probably Best too, and is more durable than either one. I don't see how he finishes outside of the top 10 in ppr, and top 5 is very possible.

As many posters stated, Jahvid Best was RB1 in that offense. Guys like Kevin Smith and Joique Bell also had fantasy relevance greatly, greatly exceeding their real talent. Heck, last season Joique Bell had 52 reception in part-time duty not even over 16 games. I think 80 catches is perfectly reasonable expectation for Reggie Bush.

I agree that, regardless of what they say, the Lions won't give him too many carries. It just doesn't make sense to exceed 200 and my guess is 150 is just as realistic. So:

175 carries, 750 yards, 4 TDs

80 receptions, 650 yards, 3 TDs

I really hope Bush is playing QB for the Lions instead of Stafford. Stafford has a canon.

I suppose I can see that happening because the offensive line is a mess right now. I just thought they had a better backup QB than Bush. Will he be injured too?

What’s different about Reggie Bush’s outlook this year versus last year? Coming into last season, Bush was coming off a career best season.

2011: 1382 YFS & 7 TD along with a stretch at the end of the season with 578 YFS and 2 TD’s in his final 4 games.

With only Daniel Thomas and rookie Lamar Miller to battle for carries, not to mention a rookie QB in Ryan Tannehill, it seemed like the situation was ripe for Bush to have a bigger impact in Miami in 2012. Yet he was RB23 in drafts last year lasting until the end of the 4th/beginning of the 5th round. With that draft position, it’s tough to argue his output; 1278 YFS & 8 TD’s.

But a move to Detroit has gotten him a move into the high rent district of drafting (end of the 2nd/beginning of the 3rd). Not sure if I’m buying at this price. A few things that concern me about Bush’s situation or at least I'm taking into account.

1. Even when he’s your lead back, it seems you have to be careful and manage his workload. Just as he seemed to be hitting a groove last year early in the season, he gets dinged up
  2. Jim Schwartz is on record as saying that he wants to go back to the way Bush was used in NO. Generally that was about 15 touches/game. Which over a 16 game season equates to 240 touches.
  3. A reason cited for the Dolphins apparent disinterest in re-signing Bush was a compliant that we’d heard about him before…that he danced around a bit too much for their liking instead of hitting the hole hard. After Bush hurt his knee in Game 3, his YPC for the remainder of the year was 3.86.
  4. While Mikel LeShoure disappointed in his first healthy season, he still represents a player for the Lions that they’d like to see emerge in some capacity. There wasn’t a lot to like about LeShoure’s 2012, but there were some circumstances that made his underwhelming performance understandable (coming back from a torn achilles). In addition, the emergence of Joique Bell was one where I feel he earned the Lions trust and thus will try and work him into the rotation of RB’s. For a team that has struggled to incorporate the RB into their offensive attack, there is talent here that crowds potential roles a bit.
Ultimately, I think Bush’s plate is only so big – he’s a luxury sports car who experiences frequent enough engine trouble to where you wind up being hesitant to open up the throttle with him completely. It’s not that he doesn’t work hard or isn’t a good pro…he simply has to be used and managed properly. Owners predicting an increase of upwards of 275-300 touches I think will be disappointed. From my POV, I think his sweet spot is in the 225-250 area. So I think he’s a relatively safe/solid RB2, but possesses no RB1 upside. Lots of folks are invoking the memory of Jahvid Best, but Best was a kid with fresh legs and I thought a bit more aggressiveness as a runner out of the backfield, but he turned out to be fragile as well. As such, if you are someone who prefers that potential in their RB2’s, I would draft players like Lamar Miller, David Wilson and even McFadden above him because all seem to have better potential to ascend into that category.

Prediction: 156 Rushes 643 Rushing Yards 4 TD’s; 73 Receptions 549 Receiving Yards 4 TD’s.

TheDirtyWord said:
What’s different about Reggie Bush’s outlook this year versus last year? Coming into last season, Bush was coming off a career best season.

2011: 1382 YFS & 7 TD along with a stretch at the end of the season with 578 YFS and 2 TD’s in his final 4 games.

With only Daniel Thomas and rookie Lamar Miller to battle for carries, not to mention a rookie QB in Ryan Tannehill, it seemed like the situation was ripe for Bush to have a bigger impact in Miami in 2012. Yet he was RB23 in drafts last year lasting until the end of the 4th/beginning of the 5th round. With that draft position, it’s tough to argue his output; 1278 YFS & 8 TD’s.

But a move to Detroit has gotten him a move into the high rent district of drafting (end of the 2nd/beginning of the 3rd). Not sure if I’m buying at this price. A few things that concern me about Bush’s situation or at least I'm taking into account.

1. Even when he’s your lead back, it seems you have to be careful and manage his workload. Just as he seemed to be hitting a groove last year early in the season, he gets dinged up
  2. Jim Schwartz is on record as saying that he wants to go back to the way Bush was used in NO. Generally that was about 15 touches/game. Which over a 16 game season equates to 240 touches.
  3. A reason cited for the Dolphins apparent disinterest in re-signing Bush was a compliant that we’d heard about him before…that he danced around a bit too much for their liking instead of hitting the hole hard. After Bush hurt his knee in Game 3, his YPC for the remainder of the year was 3.86.
  4. While Mikel LeShoure disappointed in his first healthy season, he still represents a player for the Lions that they’d like to see emerge in some capacity. There wasn’t a lot to like about LeShoure’s 2012, but there were some circumstances that made his underwhelming performance understandable (coming back from a torn achilles). In addition, the emergence of Joique Bell was one where I feel he earned the Lions trust and thus will try and work him into the rotation of RB’s. For a team that has struggled to incorporate the RB into their offensive attack, there is talent here that crowds potential roles a bit.
Ultimately, I think Bush’s plate is only so big – he’s a luxury sports car who experiences frequent enough engine trouble to where you wind up being hesitant to open up the throttle with him completely. It’s not that he doesn’t work hard or isn’t a good pro…he simply has to be used and managed properly. Owners predicting an increase of upwards of 275-300 touches I think will be disappointed. From my POV, I think his sweet spot is in the 225-250 area. So I think he’s a relatively safe/solid RB2, but possesses no RB1 upside. Lots of folks are invoking the memory of Jahvid Best, but Best was a kid with fresh legs and I thought a bit more aggressiveness as a runner out of the backfield, but he turned out to be fragile as well. As such, if you are someone who prefers that potential in their RB2’s, I would draft players like Lamar Miller, David Wilson and even McFadden above him because all seem to have better potential to ascend into that category.

Prediction: 156 Rushes 643 Rushing Yards 4 TD’s; 73 Receptions 549 Receiving Yards 4 TD’s.
OK, where does 240 points(your projection) in PPR place him last season?

TheDirtyWord said:

OK, where does 240 points(your projection) in PPR place him last season?
I couldn't tell you as I don't play PPR, but that is true, I think he'll be infinitely more valuable in those leagues and does warrant RB1 consideration.

Cookiemonster said:
Best was a stud for a short time in that offense. Kevin Smith was extremely effective. Bush is a much better player than Smith and probably Best too, and is more durable than either one. I don't see how he finishes outside of the top 10 in ppr, and top 5 is very possible.
Jahvid Bests career with the Lions

255 carries 3.7 YPC 945 yards 6 td

85 receptions 774 yards 3 td

He only had 2 games when he went over 100 yards in either rushing/receiving. Jahvid Best was a stud in college, not in the NFL.

Cookiemonster said:
Jahvid Bests career with the Lions

255 carries 3.7 YPC 945 yards 6 td

85 receptions 774 yards 3 td

He only had 2 games when he went over 100 yards in either rushing/receiving. Jahvid Best was a stud in college, not in the NFL.
In ppr, he was thought of as a top 5 dynasty RB by EBF bashers following his rookie year. I still had guys last year who wouldn't sell him for less than my Ray Rice. In *ppr*, RBs in this system have been very valuable.

I've been a Bush skeptic since he entered the draft. As a Texans fan I was going to be pissed if they took him #1 overall. I didn't see him as an every down work horse. But over the years he appears to have morphed into a decent NFL RB1 (although still not a #1 overall pick). If I was building a team, I'd prefer a guy built a little better for early down duty, but he held up pretty well in Miami. When he signed with Detroit, I was not enthused as I was pretty sure this was going to be a full fledged RBBC due to their curious dedication to the plodding Leshoure last year and abrupt abandoning of the productive Kevin Smith. However, everything I've read points to Reggie being the guy in Detroit, rather than just a committee member.

Detroit has not rushed the ball a lot in the past few years as they've had very few good and/or healthy running backs as well as a poor defense. The defense should get better this year, the running back talent is much better, and they've just lost both their offensive tackles. The loss of the tackles certainly isn't good news for Reggie Bush, but it makes a reliance on the pass a bit sketchy. Stafford has been healthy the last two years, but was injury riddled his first two years. Dropping him back 700 times will not be in their best interest.

I don't believe there is some magic number of carries or touches that will allow Bush to stay healthy or productive. I firmly believe that injury is just a probability play. A guy who gets 10 carries a game is exactly half as likely to get hurt as a guy who gets 20 carries a game. Thus, I'm not going to predict Detroit to limit his carries to keep him productive or any of that nonsense. He's by far their best running back and he'll be on the field as often as they need him to be. They'd be wise to grind out lopsided victories with Leshoure and Bell, but let's be honest, how often will they be in that position? Not often.

While this stable of running backs is unlikely to exceed 400 carries, they have exceeded 100 receptions two out of the last three years. With a much better pass catching RB on the team, I fully expect this to occur again. As a team, I project 350 carries and 110 receptions. I think Bush gets at least 200 of those carries and 70 of those receptions. I don't expect the offensive line to be very good, so he'll have to work for his yards on the ground (and Leshoure will certainly snipe all his short yardage touchdowns), but Stafford loves to dump it off and that's where Bush will find his value.

I don't think he'll put up flashy numbers, but I see him as good value at RB18 in non-PPR. He's basically a better, more durable version of DeMarco Murray going a few spots later.

200 x 4.3 ypc = 860 yards 4 TDs, 70 rec x 7.5 ypr = 525 yards 3 TD

While I anticipate drafting Reggae a time or two this season, it's more of a lottery pick than anything else. He looks like a dream come true in the Lions offense and that may be the case, but I worry about him. Injuries abound. We may not have seen the best of LeShoure. Watching him for the 'Fins last season was not endearing. And, a lot of his hype is based on the absence of other receiving threats for the Lions beyond Calvin. What if Broyles is healthy and Bell continues to poach? Worse, what if Pettigrew actually starts catching the ball? RB2 probably, but not more...even in PPR.

While I anticipate drafting Reggae a time or two this season, it's more of a lottery pick than anything else. He looks like a dream come true in the Lions offense and that may be the case, but I worry about him. Injuries abound. We may not have seen the best of LeShoure. Watching him for the 'Fins last season was not endearing. And, a lot of his hype is based on the absence of other receiving threats for the Lions beyond Calvin. What if Broyles is healthy and Bell continues to poach? Worse, what if Pettigrew actually starts catching the ball? RB2 probably, but not more...even in PPR.
Need some stats with the reasoning please

why do you need stats from someone to back up their thoughts of simply not loving the guy and not loving their game?

why do you need stats from someone to back up their thoughts of simply not loving the guy and not loving their game?
Because his thoughts may be wrong when he sits down and puts numbers to them. WHat if he's down on the guy verbally but his projection is a RB1's stats? That lets the rest of us discount the guy's thoughts because he doesn't get what he's doing.

Because his thoughts may be wrong when he sits down and puts numbers to them. WHat if he's down on the guy verbally but his projection is a RB1's stats? That lets the rest of us discount the guy's thoughts because he doesn't get what he's doing.
And Jason mentions it in the OP. Dirty Bird who I have a lot of respect for and does a great job in these player threads, he doesn't love Bush but when he was done with his projections Bush was easily a top 10 RB in PPR. It's not a tug of war or that I think his thoughts or reasoning are wrong, I just simply want to see the stats to correlate with the reasoning. Good post as well.

Reggie Bush in Detroit is an interesting topic because Reggie has always been the type of player that has received a lot of attention and the move to Detroit looks pretty good on paper as Detroit has a solid passing game that should open up running lanes, should play to Reggie's strength which can be to catch passes and get into the open field.

However, I am skeptical because Detroit has been a RBBC over the recent year's and that's also when Reggie seems to be at his best. I think Reggie will be more valuable in PPR leagues but I am not sold on him as the Detroit goaline back. The Lions also play on turf, which has bothered Reggie's knee over the years, something else I There will be a lot of hype surrounding him entering draft's and I don't feel like I'll be that guy willing to reach out and grab him.

700 yards rushing, 5tds

28 receptions for 320 2tds

Reggie Bush in Detroit is an interesting topic because Reggie has always been the type of player that has received a lot of attention and the move to Detroit looks pretty good on paper as Detroit has a solid passing game that should open up running lanes, should play to Reggie's strength which can be to catch passes and get into the open field.

However, I am skeptical because Detroit has been a RBBC over the recent year's and that's also when Reggie seems to be at his best. I think Reggie will be more valuable in PPR leagues but I am not sold on him as the Detroit goaline back. The Lions also play on turf, which has bothered Reggie's knee over the years, something else I There will be a lot of hype surrounding him entering draft's and I don't feel like I'll be that guy willing to reach out and grab him.

700 yards rushing, 5tds

28 receptions? How many games are you starting Reggie Bush?

RBush's stats will come down to opportunity--how much will he be used.

In the first preseason game he was targeted 2 times and had 3 rushes (5 of 11 plays).

J.Best's 2010 usage *would* be a good indication if Stafford had played most of the year, but he did not due to his shoulder injury, so I cannot really use that with 100% confidence.

700 yards rushing, 5tds

28 receptions? How many games are you starting Reggie Bush?
:goodposting:

Definitely will be targeting Reggie Bush this year in PPR, that offense and his skill set seem like a perfect match. Just think Joique Bell is going overlooked, he should get enough touches to justify rostering him as a desperation flex play and if Bush goes down, Bell's value will skyrocket. Still going awfully late in drafts.

In PPR leagues I've got Bush just outside the top-10 at this point. Now I'm wondering if that's too low?

Bush averaged almost six receptions/game his first two years in the league, and Best was on pace for 72 in this offense two years ago before he got hurt. 70-80 catches isn't crazy.

OP,

I know he's not a normal RB and some might be tempted to call him a WR, but Reggie Bush is no QB, I assure you.

Thanks,

H

Bush will put up Marshall Faulk #'s .... Sproles has nothing on Reggie this season
Bush is going to great this year but easy on the Faulk comparison. The Lions will be lucky to have 1400 yards rushing as a team. Let alone one guy having 1200+ rushing yards.

I think he's in for a monster year PPR wise if he can stay healthy. I'm a bit nervous however, as he was only able to complete a full season once he left NO, the Superdome and it's turf field. In MIA he was finally able to stay healthy and the playing surface may have been a real factor in that. Now he's on DET, back on turf and I'm a tad nervous. It's not the end all be all but something I factor in when drafting.

If he does get injured at some point in the season, I really want to have J.Bell on my bench. That dude looked unreal last night, even for a preseason game.

Users who are viewing this thread