What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Players that none of us have any clue about.... (1 Viewer)

JuniorNB

Footballguy
As much as we research and follow Twitter accounts and scan the internet and listen to fantasy radio, there are a few things that not a single one of us really know.... I'll list a few. Please offer your players who you admit are a total crapshoot...

Maurice Jones-Drew- We all know what a stud this guy is when healthy. He has always been a legitimate RB1. Stays in the game on third downs and in goal line sets. Catches passes and never goes down on first contact. He was Ray Rice before Ray Rice was. BUT, he's coming off a dreaded foot injury. Nothing as damaging to a running back than a foot issue. He claims to be 100%, but we've seen about 7 total touches from him all preseason. He could be a top 5 RB this year, or he could be 2012 Darren McFadden.

Tavon Austin- We've all seen him in college. We all know the potential. But how are the Rams going to use him? Will he be a kick returner? Will he just be in on a certain packages? Or will he be a starter? Bradford seems to love Givens and Cook, but would benefit from taking advantage of Austin's athleticism. Fisher has kept him under wraps this preseason. Is he not ready? Or doesn't Fisher want to show the rest of the league his special weapon?

Robert Griffin III- He was the number one fantasy quarterback in the first ten weeks of last season. Then he hurt his knee and he ran much less and looked a bit less successful. During the last few weeks, his fantasy production went down as his rushing totals/TDs went down. Then, of course, he tore his knee apart in the playoffs. So, does he come back and get hurt again? Does he come back and become a more conservative QB and hover around the 10-15 top fantasy quarterbacks? Or is he truly 100% and returns to being that multiple threat and top 3 fantasy QB? All seem like good possibilities. None of us have any idea.

Darren McFadden - Stud when healthy but that's the key. No idea how he is going to perform.

TY Hilton - Is he just a WR3? Are the Colts really going to a 2 TE offense? Will they get the ball in the hands of their best playmaker? I think the latter but many don't. Half love him here and the others not so much

Andre Brown - Is he the 3rd down back? goalline back? How many carries will he actually get behind Wilson?

As much as we research and follow Twitter accounts and scan the internet and listen to fantasy radio, there are a few things that not a single one of us really know.... I'll list a few. Please offer your players who you admit are a total crapshoot...

Maurice Jones-Drew- We all know what a stud this guy is when healthy. He has always been a legitimate RB1. Stays in the game on third downs and in goal line sets. Catches passes and never goes down on first contact. He was Ray Rice before Ray Rice was. BUT, he's coming off a dreaded foot injury. Nothing as damaging to a running back than a foot issue. He claims to be 100%, but we've seen about 7 total touches from him all preseason. He could be a top 5 RB this year, or he could be 2012 Darren McFadden.

Tavon Austin- We've all seen him in college. We all know the potential. But how are the Rams going to use him? Will he be a kick returner? Will he just be in on a certain packages? Or will he be a starter? Bradford seems to love Givens and Cook, but would benefit from taking advantage of Austin's athleticism. Fisher has kept him under wraps this preseason. Is he not ready? Or doesn't Fisher want to show the rest of the league his special weapon?

Robert Griffin III- He was the number one fantasy quarterback in the first ten weeks of last season. Then he hurt his knee and he ran much less and looked a bit less successful. During the last few weeks, his fantasy production went down as his rushing totals/TDs went down. Then, of course, he tore his knee apart in the playoffs. So, does he come back and get hurt again? Does he come back and become a more conservative QB and hover around the 10-15 top fantasy quarterbacks? Or is he truly 100% and returns to being that multiple threat and top 3 fantasy QB? All seem like good possibilities. None of us have any idea.
I'm iffy on MJD however at his current ADP I think he could end up being a complete steal.

As for Austin, Fischer is actually quoted saying he's purposely limited Tavon in the preseason and hasn't shown any part of his hand on his plans for Austin because he's going to be used all over the place. I have this sneaking suspicion that this offense is being built to run through Austin and Bradford. I see him ending the season with like 70-80 receptions and another 20-50 rushes when it's all said and done.

RG3: All indications are that he's back to 100%. He's doing full speed cuts on the knee and running his life out. The ONLY fear we should have is him getting scared when the actual games come (see: Ryan Williams). However, Griffin has experienced this exact injury before and is mature enough to understand what it means. I honestly see him coming right back into the fold where he was in the first ten games last season. Hopefully this year his knees hold up and he doesn't take any unnecessary hits.

Pierre Garcon. I haven't heard a word about him.
Great call. Will he be the focus like he was out of the gates last season? Is he healthy?
I read earlier in the offseason that his injury was just going to be a constant pain that he has to deal with. And that's best case. I just can't take that kind of risk given the other talent around him. I'd much rather have Jordy or Wallace.

Great call. Will he be the focus like he was out of the gates last season? Is he healthy?
he is healthy per reports and hasnt lost a step. but kyle shanahan will distribute this ball so much its hard to pick anyone from this team other than rg3 and alfred
Santana Moss expects a monster 2013 season out of Pierre Garcon, who will be utilized ala Andre Johnson.
The Redskins' offensive coordinator is Kyle Shanahan, who used to call the Texans' plays. Garcon and Johnson play the same "X" receiver position. "In this offense you would love to be Pierre," Moss explained. "He's going to be the Andre Johnson to this offense. That's what they brought him here for." Garcon is one of the highest-ceiling WR2 picks in fantasy football this season. Aug 26 - 4:58 PM

definitely look to grab him as your #2 WR... he looked great before injury last year, and when he played semi-healthy with RGIII he was a huge part of the offense

Last edited by a moderator:
the problem is he will draw probably the cb1 so they tend to use this to their advantage and throw to hankerson

he is healthy per reports and hasnt lost a step. but kyle shanahan will distribute this ball so much its hard to pick anyone from this team other than rg3 and alfred
Distribute it to who? Their other WRs?

I think if he's healthy, Garcon will be RGIII's first and second look.

well with injuries to robinson and hankerson his stock goes up i didnt know of those injuries

I read earlier in the offseason that his injury was just going to be a constant pain that he has to deal with. And that's best case. I just can't take that kind of risk given the other talent around him. I'd much rather have Jordy or Wallace.
That may be the case, but the Shanahans are almost obnoxious about featuring the WR1. From Rod Smith to Javon Walker to Brandon Marshall/Andre Johnson to 'Tana Moss, they have almost ALWAYS had a 1k receiver (minus 2003, 2011-12). In 2003 and 2011 the top receivers each had 950 yards and Garcon would have easily been over 1k if not for the injury. I have not heard news of it really bothering him this preseason, and he shares the ball so much less than Jordy, and has a better QB than Wallace.

Good thread, Junior.

EJ Manuel

Was pretty much a given that he'd be the guy sooner rather than later, and is now fully thrust into the fire right away with Kolb's concussion (and horrible play).

But he's got to battle an injury now, and with that along with usual rookie jitters, what can we expect from him? And what impact will it have - either good or bad - on Spiller? Will he make any Buffalo WR fantasy relevant - even the historically steady Stevie Johnson?

Darren McFadden - Stud when healthy but that's the key. No idea how he is going to perform.
I don't even really buy that he's a stud when healthy. He had basically 1 1/2 good seasons (and even there he got no goal-line carries), he did very little last year even when he was healthy, and he's playing for perhaps the worst offense in the league this year. I'm staying far, far away.

Meanwhile, I don't get the MJD hate at all. This is a guy who legitimately has been a stud when healthy, and there's been nothing to indicate that he's anything but that this year. The only reason I wouldn't take him in the second is if I thought he'd fall to me in the third.

Sidney Rice

Zack Ertz

Jordy Nelson
I don't think I'd include Jordy Nelson. His role has been pretty stable the past two seasons, and now he's practicing in full and ready for week 1.
Agreed, the team (Cobb instead of Jennings) is about the same as it has been the past two years. Nelson is a value and I think Garcon is also a value. I think the team has not been running Garcon into the ground in the pre-season games, but I am pretty sure he has a TD in the last two games and then sat down pretty quickly. Both of those guys appear to be healthy to start the season and if they stay healthy could easily both be low WR1/high WR2. I got Nelson on Sunday as my WR3 at 5.12 (2 keeper league).

Along with Austin, I'd add Jared Cook. - There's been a lot of talk about him, sure, but honestly we don't know what will happen until Game 1. I could see Cook being top 4, I could see cutting him first chance for another TE. And it's not just them, the Rams RBs, Pettis, Quick, Bailey, Bradford, also, who knows how this will go.

Same is true of the Pats situation, we think we know there will be plenty of snaps and offense, but who knows who gets what until they hit the field in regular season. This applies to maybe 5 different players.

Indy WR/TE: I think this has been talked through, the questions of passing ration, and who gets the FFPs between DHB, TYH, Fleener and Allen are just about exhausted, let's see a game finally.

Colts, Rams & Pats, I'd say there's been a little too much talk, too much info.

Other teams it's been dead quiet.

SD WRs & RBs, Steelers RBs & WRs and Philly TEs and WRs behind Jackson as well. We have to wait for Game 1 to see what we have.

Daryl Richardson/Isaiah Pead - last season, Richardson had 301 offensive snaps (Football Outsiders data). Steven Jackson had 706 offensive snaps. Richardson has seemingly emerged as the lead dog in the STL backfield, but there are are alot of snaps to replace in terms of just being on the field. Pead is seemingly stuck in neutral, but all 706 aren't going to Richardson. But if Richardson gets between 600-700 which is a big number, he could be big.

Le'Veon Bell. Is he that much better than Redman or Dwyer to render them full-on backups? Is he good enough to make the O line look any better? Is he good enough to take a little heat off Ben? It sure sounded that way in camp. Now the question is, "Is he ready week 3 or week 13?"

Distribute it to who? Their other WRs?I think if he's healthy, Garcon will be RGIII's first and second look.
I understand the rest of the receivers are bleh, but if RG3 is going to look Garçon and then wait for him to get open he won't make it through the year or he will have 20+ interceptions. Garçon is decent it he isn't a Dez, Calvin or others that can abuse even the best corners in the league.

Along those lines. Does Alfred Morris really give way to Roy Helu on 3rd down as reported the last several weeks and if so will Helu have a lot of targets in the passing game?

Le'Veon Bell. Is he that much better than Redman or Dwyer to render them full-on backups? Is he good enough to make the O line look any better? Is he good enough to take a little heat off Ben? It sure sounded that way in camp. Now the question is, "Is he ready week 3 or week 13?"
As a Steeler homer, I sure hope he's better than Redman and Dwyer. I don't know how he can't be.

Distribute it to who? Their other WRs?I think if he's healthy, Garcon will be RGIII's first and second look.
I understand the rest of the receivers are bleh, but if RG3 is going to look Garçon and then wait for him to get open he won't make it through the year or he will have 20+ interceptions. Garçon is decent it he isn't a Dez, Calvin or others that can abuse even the best corners in the league.
Whenever Garcon has played with a QB that could get him the ball, he was explosive. With a scary running game, and garcon healthy, I think he puts up WR1 numbers (top 12) as long as he's out there.

Users who are viewing this thread