What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Players Who Will Be Limitted or Not Playing At All (1 Viewer)

duke21

Footballguy
Ok, it would be nice to have a thread for each player instead of just each team. As the word comes in, post it here.

* Seattle players? Hasselback, Alexander, Jackson, Engram maybe?* Indy players obviously.* Chicago players perhaps? Thomas Jones and Mushy Muhammed* Denver Players? Plummer may be limited, Anderson, Smith?* What about Cinci or New England? Brady, Palmer, Dillon, Rudi or Chad Johnson??Just thought I'd toss some names out there...

according to ESPN.com Shaun Alexander will miss a few days of practice due to a death in he family. Does this guy even play? Maybe for one plunge if they are at the 1 yard line?

I have Brady, Chad Johnson and Rudi Johnson, and my gut right tells me that all three play.Brady = still something to play for; just now getting healthy; team just now starting to peek; unlikely to get injured; Belicheck doesn't seem like the type to ease off the gas pedal nowBengals = still something to play for, albeit minimal (like Pats, competing for # 3 seed, right?). But the biggest factor is the poor performance against the Bills. No way Lewis wants that to be the last thing the starters do before the playoffs.Crossing my fingers.

Any thoughts on what one could expect from Tomlinson this weekend? What about Turner as his backup?

Any thoughts on what one could expect from Tomlinson this weekend? What about Turner as his backup?
blogger has an article in which Marty says that the starters will start and play the whole game. Now if I had to guess I would say that because of his injuries, LT ends up with limited carries.

If the Chargers beat the Broncos on Saturday then the Steelers will clinch the #6 seed. If that happens some Steelers may see only limited action or be held out entirely.Most likely to sit out would be Bettis although it will likely be his last home game so he might start but then quickly pulled. Roethlisberger and Parker would probably also get a quick hook. Hines Ward needs 65 yards for 1,000 so I would bet he'll stay in until he gets it. Verron Haynes would be a good play this week if you're still playing and are desperate for a RB.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the Chargers beat the Broncos on Saturday then the Steelers will clinch the #6 seed.
Broncos 12-3Chargers 9-6Pittsburg 10-5 and tie breaker, a regular season win against ChargersI do not see how this game matters to Pitt at all. Pitt needs to worry about Kansas City at 9-6 who holds the tie breaker should they win and Pitt loses, clear down to the record in the AFC.The teams I see as resting players are the four that have nothing to play for:Indy (resting most of the game because of all the injuries)Seatle(resting a half or more, SA may get more time than we think because of the records)Denver(my guess is starters until half time, MA out)Chicago(Half and Half)Plus you need to worry some about the banged up players on teams that are already eliminated like LT in San Diego.Good Luck. :blackdot:

If the Chargers beat the Broncos on Saturday then the Steelers will clinch the #6 seed. 
Broncos 12-3Chargers 9-6

Pittsburg 10-5 and tie breaker, a regular season win against Chargers

I do not see how this game matters to Pitt at all. Pitt needs to worry about Kansas City at 9-6 who holds the tie breaker should they win and Pitt loses, clear down to the record in the AFC.

The teams I see as resting players are the four that have nothing to play for:

Indy (resting most of the game because of all the injuries)

Seatle(resting a half or more, SA may get more time than we think because of the records)

Denver(my guess is starters until half time, MA out)

Chicago(Half and Half)

Plus you need to worry some about the banged up players on teams that are already eliminated like LT in San Diego.

Good Luck.

:blackdot:
It does.If SD wins there is now way KC can get into the playoffs.

Pitt will clinch.

If all three are tied at 10-6 Pitt still gets in on tie-breaker

Edge James played well into the 3rd quarter in Seattle.At home vs Arizona he might be a good play, even if he only goes a half. I oculd see 70 yards a TD and 2 catches

Edge James played well into the 3rd quarter in Seattle.

At home vs Arizona he might be a good play, even if he only goes a half. I oculd see 70 yards a TD and 2 catches
James played until mid-way 2nd Quarter. He was then replaced by Rhodes. I don't think James will play more than a quarter this week. He might only play a series this week.I think Rhodes is a good play against Arizona this week.

Edge James played well into the 3rd quarter in Seattle.

At home vs Arizona he might be a good play, even if he only goes a half.  I oculd see 70 yards a TD and 2 catches
James played until mid-way 2nd Quarter. He was then replaced by Rhodes. I don't think James will play more than a quarter this week. He might only play a series this week.I think Rhodes is a good play against Arizona this week.
That's what I meant

Any thoughts on why Rhodes was so ineffective last week but could be effective this week?I picked up Rhodes three weeks ago to protect me against Shaun Alexander sitting, and was not impressed last week. I'm quite worried now about fielding a presentable RB corps in the championship game.

Any thoughts on why Rhodes was so ineffective last week but could be effective this week?

I picked up Rhodes three weeks ago to protect me against Shaun Alexander sitting, and was not impressed last week. I'm quite worried now about fielding a presentable RB corps in the championship game.
Well #1- Seattle run D >>>> Arizona run D#2- Rhodes played in Seattle

#3 - Indy was behind and needed to throw.

IMO, I think I'm looking elsewhere than Rhodes/Edge this week. It's just too messy and Rhodes hasn't shown anything this season. Granted he hasn;t been given a great chance. I may change my opnion by the time Sunday rolls around.

Chicago has clinched first round bye, should be resting T. Jones. Anyone have any ideas on Adrian Peterson for this week? I'm deciding between him or Haynes with Mike Anderson sitting.

Chicago has clinched first round bye, should be resting T. Jones. Anyone have any ideas on Adrian Peterson for this week? I'm deciding between him or Haynes with Mike Anderson sitting.
Peterson could be a solid start.

Chicago has clinched first round bye, should be resting T. Jones.  Anyone have any ideas on Adrian Peterson for this week?  I'm deciding between him or Haynes with Mike Anderson sitting.
Peterson could be a solid start.
Yes, but isn't Benson coming back this weekend?Just something else to consider in this mess of a FF weekend.

I am playing against LT and Gates in the Championship game in my league and I am afraid if Denver plays their scrubs that I could be in trouble.Garrard might miss time if Leftwich get playing time...he is cleared to play

The local sports channel here in Colorado Springs said M Anderson will definately NOT play at all, along with 3 other defensive starters.....Wilson, Courtney Brown and the young DB who's name escapes me right now....

The local sports channel here in Colorado Springs said M Anderson will definately NOT play at all, along with 3 other defensive starters.....Wilson, Courtney Brown and the young DB who's name escapes me right now....
I think it's darrent williams

Hmm, how effective should Bell be? Now I'm thinking about benching SA in favor of Bell.

Hmm, how effective should Bell be? Now I'm thinking about benching SA in favor of Bell.
What about Ron Dayne?!?!

What about Ron Dayne?!?!
I think Dayne will get a significant amount of carries if the Broncos don't fall behind early, but I don't know how well he will do against a good San Diego run D.

What about Ron Dayne?!?!
I think Dayne will get a significant amount of carries if the Broncos don't fall behind early, but I don't know how well he will do against a good San Diego run D.
Exactly. No way I start Dayne with Bell and the SD defense there.

Not exactly informative, but the last sentence offers some interesting perspective:

Broncos | Healthy starters will play - but will they play the whole game?

Tue, 27 Dec 2005 18:28:30 -0800

Frank Schwab, of the Gazette, reports Denver Broncos head coach Mike Shanahan plans to play his healthy starters in the team's Week 17 game, but for how long is the question. Shanahan said Tuesday, Dec. 27, the starters will play against the San Diego Chargers even though Denver has clinched the second seed in the AFC playoffs. QB Jake Plummer will start the game. "I'm not going to say definitely he'll play the whole game but that's the plan going in," Shanahan said. Backup QB Bradlee Van Pelt said he got the same message. "They made it clear to me yesterday and today that it's going to be just like any other week for the offense," Van Pelt said. "Jake's starting and if you get called in, deal with it. As the plan is right now, I'm not going in." Shanahan made similar statements before the Broncos played their regular season finale at Green Bay two years ago but held many key players out because Denver's playoff position was determined.

any word on matt hasselbeck.

Hawks are still playing to winBy José Miguel Romero

Seattle Times staff reporter

KIRKLAND — Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren appeared and sounded quite relieved, even jolly, after a day off on Christmas to spend with his family.

There's even more reason to unwind after the holiday. Now that Seattle is in the playoffs with home-field advantage, the Seahawks will play a virtually meaningless regular-season finale this Sunday at Green Bay. That's cause for some deep breaths of relaxation around team headquarters.

Make no mistake — the Seahawks are going out to win. But this week and a first-round bye next week will allow injured players to get back to good health, while affording some regulars a bit of a break with reduced playing time.

Translation: Don't expect to see some of the team's top players in Sunday's game for long, even though Holmgren won't make firm playing time decisions until Wednesday.

"It's important for us to maintain some continuity," Holmgren said. "It's important for me and the team that when we step on the field anywhere, we play well. So whoever's playing at the time, I expect them to play well. Every time we suit up, we're going after a win.

"We'll spend a couple of days thinking about it," Holmgren added when asked who would get the day off Sunday.

A number of injured players will not play. Cornerback Marcus Trufant will be held out because of a lower back bruise suffered against Indianapolis on Saturday, and cornerback Andre Dyson will miss the Green Bay game with a sprained left ankle.

Linebacker D.D. Lewis wore a protective boot over his right foot, injured in the Indianapolis game, and is not expected while awaiting results from tests. Neither is defensive end Joe Tafoya, who hurt a hamstring.

Cornerback Kelly Herndon has a sore left knee and safety John Howell a left hamstring problem, but decisions on both players will be made later in the week. Wide receiver Darrell Jackson was taken out of Saturday's game early as a precautionary measure, but is feeling better and could play. The Seahawks also have to determine the status of defensive tackle Chuck Darby, who hurt his right knee, before deciding if he plays.

Holmgren hopes all will be ready to play in the Seahawks' first playoff game, on Jan. 14 or 15.

He isn't concerned that his front-liners will lose their edge if they don't play much this week, then have to wait two more weeks to play again.

"As long as you're getting some work done on the practice field, I think you're OK," Holmgren said.

Several players who have been inactive for much, if not all of the season — such as tight end Itula Mili and tackles Wayne Hunter and Ray Willis — will also be considered for playing time Sunday.

Quarterback Matt Hasselbeck will play, but backup Seneca Wallace also figures to get in for what could be the most snaps he'll take all season. Wallace has appeared in five games and has completed 4 of 8 passes.

"I'm excited just to be able to go in there and play and get the feel of it," Wallace said. "It should be fun. You just have to take advantage of the opportunity."

any word on matt hasselbeck.

Hawks are still playing to winBy José Miguel Romero

Seattle Times staff reporter

KIRKLAND — Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren appeared and sounded quite relieved, even jolly, after a day off on Christmas to spend with his family.

There's even more reason to unwind after the holiday. Now that Seattle is in the playoffs with home-field advantage, the Seahawks will play a virtually meaningless regular-season finale this Sunday at Green Bay. That's cause for some deep breaths of relaxation around team headquarters.

Make no mistake — the Seahawks are going out to win. But this week and a first-round bye next week will allow injured players to get back to good health, while affording some regulars a bit of a break with reduced playing time.

Translation: Don't expect to see some of the team's top players in Sunday's game for long, even though Holmgren won't make firm playing time decisions until Wednesday.

"It's important for us to maintain some continuity," Holmgren said. "It's important for me and the team that when we step on the field anywhere, we play well. So whoever's playing at the time, I expect them to play well. Every time we suit up, we're going after a win.

"We'll spend a couple of days thinking about it," Holmgren added when asked who would get the day off Sunday.

A number of injured players will not play. Cornerback Marcus Trufant will be held out because of a lower back bruise suffered against Indianapolis on Saturday, and cornerback Andre Dyson will miss the Green Bay game with a sprained left ankle.

Linebacker D.D. Lewis wore a protective boot over his right foot, injured in the Indianapolis game, and is not expected while awaiting results from tests. Neither is defensive end Joe Tafoya, who hurt a hamstring.

Cornerback Kelly Herndon has a sore left knee and safety John Howell a left hamstring problem, but decisions on both players will be made later in the week. Wide receiver Darrell Jackson was taken out of Saturday's game early as a precautionary measure, but is feeling better and could play. The Seahawks also have to determine the status of defensive tackle Chuck Darby, who hurt his right knee, before deciding if he plays.

Holmgren hopes all will be ready to play in the Seahawks' first playoff game, on Jan. 14 or 15.

He isn't concerned that his front-liners will lose their edge if they don't play much this week, then have to wait two more weeks to play again.

"As long as you're getting some work done on the practice field, I think you're OK," Holmgren said.

Several players who have been inactive for much, if not all of the season — such as tight end Itula Mili and tackles Wayne Hunter and Ray Willis — will also be considered for playing time Sunday.

Quarterback Matt Hasselbeck will play, but backup Seneca Wallace also figures to get in for what could be the most snaps he'll take all season. Wallace has appeared in five games and has completed 4 of 8 passes.

"I'm excited just to be able to go in there and play and get the feel of it," Wallace said. "It should be fun. You just have to take advantage of the opportunity."
Sounds like good news for the Packers passing game.Maybe I will start Driver this week.

If any of you were wondering about the Broncos, Al Wilson, Mike Anderson, and Rod Smith will all be sitting. Jake Plummer will also have limited play.

For whoever asked who Denver's WR3 is, it's Charlies Adams. But if Lelie is out and Smith's PT is limited, I could see Todd Devoe also getting a lot of reps. Also, Jeb Putzier could be a good play.

Any news on Tatum Bell? Will it be him or Dayne carrying the load?
See "Who will carry the load in Denver" thread a couple below.Since I'm a homer the radio is all about Bell and the 131 yards he needs for 1000.

Anyone on Brady and Dillon playing time? Thanks.

If any of you were wondering about the Broncos, Al Wilson, Mike Anderson, and Rod Smith will all be sitting. Jake Plummer will also have limited play.
where did you get this from? Not doubting you, just want to contain my excitement since I am playing a Rod Smith owner in my Championship.

Any update on Rudi and Chad Johnson?

I am now 90%+ convinced Brady will play, and likely play the whole game unless it is a total blowout. I don't think Bill was too happy with the Pats effort last week, which, when added to all the other things I listed, makes me think no way does he sit Brady. We'll see.

Eddited to add:

Sounds like Lewis is being unnecessarily cagey about the whole here.

I don't get it - why be so cloak and dagger about it all? If the reason the coach is thinking about benching his starters is because the game doesn't mean very much, then why hide your cards?

My best guess at this point is that Chad plays the whole game, and Rudi plays most of the game.

Anyone on Brady and Dillon playing time?  Thanks.
Patriots still can earn the #3 seed with a win over Miami and a Bengal loss to the Chiefs this week.....Palmer is banged up and the Chiefs need to win to keep their playoff hopes alive, so KC has a good chance to win. Since both games (NE-Mia & KC-Cin) are played at 1:00 EST on Sunday, expect the Pats to play their starters until outcomes of both games are a certainty.

Any news on Tatum Bell? Will it be him or Dayne carrying the load?
See "Who will carry the load in Denver" thread a couple below.Since I'm a homer the radio is all about Bell and the 131 yards he needs for 1000.

Anyone on Brady and Dillon playing time? Thanks.
With Smith not playing at all and Plummer limited, what are the chances Bell gets close to that 131 yards against the #1 run defense?I am trying to decide between Bell and J. Lewis this week is why I ask. :bag:

I am trying to decide between Bell and J. Lewis this week is why I ask. :bag:
Cleveland is better against the pass than against the run. Jamal has run well the past two weeks. I'd seriously consider playing him.

Users who are viewing this thread