What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Please Read - Big Change For The Forum - Asking For Your Grace - Forum Offline 8/1 (1 Viewer)

When the grace period passes, would not mine seeing the "similar threads" section go away.
Agreed. Just takes up space and seems arbitrary.

I agree it's silly in this forum, but I can see why it might be useful in the Shark Pool.

Yes, it's super useful in the Shark Pool forum. And let's be honest, without that forum, this forum couldn't afford to exist. Some of it's preventative in it's sometimes better to not have multiple threads if it's truly on the same topic. And that can help there. But it's also informative from a "cross pollination" angle in allow forum visitors to see other threads that may interest them. I think it's one of the best parts of the new upgrade and we'll be keeping it. But it might be possible in the future for users to hide it. Not sure. I know @Keerock is familiar with Xenforo documentation, maybe we can see something there and save @Memphis Foundry some work.
Thanks for the explanation. It does make sense.

When the grace period passes, would not mine seeing the "similar threads" section go away.

I agree it's silly in this forum, but I can see why it might be useful in the Shark Pool.

Yes, it's super useful in the Shark Pool forum. And let's be honest, without that forum, this forum couldn't afford to exist. Some of it's preventative in it's sometimes better to not have multiple threads if it's truly on the same topic. And that can help there. But it's also informative from a "cross pollination" angle in allow forum visitors to see other threads that may interest them. I think it's one of the best parts of the new upgrade and we'll be keeping it. But it might be possible in the future for users to hide it. Not sure. I know @Keerock is familiar with Xenforo documentation, maybe we can see something there and save @Memphis Foundry some work.

Thank you @Mrs. Rannous I'm interested in how good the AI will be on it. For instance, will it learn that the same folks that like a music draft also might like a food draft? Or will it learn that a thread talking about Star Wars might also be similar to a thread about other Science Fiction? I don't really know. But I hope it can be useful.

Thank you @Mrs. Rannous I'm interested in how good the AI will be on it. For instance, will it learn that the same folks that like a music draft also might like a food draft? Or will it learn that a thread talking about Star Wars might also be similar to a thread about other Science Fiction? I don't really know. But I hope it can be useful.
Sorry if there's another thread about this, but agree the changes so far have been great and can see why you and others are happy about the move. Everything does seem to work better.

Again, not sure if there's a spot where this is already being covered and I also know there's a lot of other priorities right now, but as far as requests/changes, which are pretty minimal, here's mine (and maybe these are options that are already available, but)

1) As you mentioned above, the ability to hide the similar thread. Not a big deal overall, though
2) Adding the page navigation at the top of threads. That's probably the biggest one for me now.
3) Adding who posted last in each thread when looking at the list of threads on the forum page.
4) Enabling push notifications. There are a couple threads I follow and I'd get a notification if someone posted in one. I can't see if that's available anymore but if it is, can't find it.

Considering the move, huge success that that request list is as small and minor as it is. Great work to all involved in getting this done.

One more thing for the maybe someday we will look at it list.

New board is giving notifications for reactions to posts made by others that are downstream from your own post. So if I post something and there are 3 or 4 iterations of quotes to that post, I'm getting notifications of reactions to those users posts, not mine which was upstream. Generates alot of notifications which don't really belong to me.

Edit to add, this does the same for the downstream quotes themselves. User X quoted your post. They actually quoted someone who quoted someone who quoted someone who quoted my post. Everytime that conversation is replied to i get a notification. It muddies the notifications I'm probably more interested. That is direct quotes of and reactions to my own posts.

Last edited:
I am loving everything so far. The only item I would like to see tweaked is to increase the number of threads per page. But outside of that, everything is running smoothly and quickly.

I agree - being able to have more threads per page would be nice.

Only other thing so far, and it's a minor nitpick, is that on the old forum, you could mark an entire forum as read with one click without going into the forum, now it requires going into the forum to get to the mark forum as read. Probably more OCD than anything but I tend to mark everything as read, even the forums I don't frequent, just so I can see what is new since I last visited. Super minor as it's just a few extra clicks now.
Based on XenForo documentation, admins can change the number of threads/posts per page (applies to everyone), but users cannot.

We'll take a look. We're beyond scrambling trying to keep up with thingsin the busiest time of the year but we'll look to see what we may be able to do in the future. I'd guess it's a next m month thing though.

Next month, end of season, whenever is convenient is fine. Both things I mentioned are very minor, but also know that if you don't at least mention them there is zero chance it gets looked at.

We already fixed the number of threads per page issue.

Ty!

Is this a setting some where? The number of threads still looks the same as yesterday on my browser so I may just have the default setting.

I am loving everything so far. The only item I would like to see tweaked is to increase the number of threads per page. But outside of that, everything is running smoothly and quickly.

I agree - being able to have more threads per page would be nice.

Only other thing so far, and it's a minor nitpick, is that on the old forum, you could mark an entire forum as read with one click without going into the forum, now it requires going into the forum to get to the mark forum as read. Probably more OCD than anything but I tend to mark everything as read, even the forums I don't frequent, just so I can see what is new since I last visited. Super minor as it's just a few extra clicks now.
Based on XenForo documentation, admins can change the number of threads/posts per page (applies to everyone), but users cannot.

We'll take a look. We're beyond scrambling trying to keep up with thingsin the busiest time of the year but we'll look to see what we may be able to do in the future. I'd guess it's a next m month thing though.

Next month, end of season, whenever is convenient is fine. Both things I mentioned are very minor, but also know that if you don't at least mention them there is zero chance it gets looked at.

We already fixed the number of threads per page issue.

Ty!

Is this a setting some where? The number of threads still looks the same as yesterday on my browser so I may just have the default setting.

It's a default setting. Maybe log out and try logging back in? Not sure.

Sorry if there's another thread about this, but agree the changes so far have been great and can see why you and others are happy about the move. Everything does seem to work better.

Again, not sure if there's a spot where this is already being covered and I also know there's a lot of other priorities right now, but as far as requests/changes, which are pretty minimal, here's mine (and maybe these are options that are already available, but)

1) As you mentioned above, the ability to hide the similar thread. Not a big deal overall, though
2) Adding the page navigation at the top of threads. That's probably the biggest one for me now.
3) Adding who posted last in each thread when looking at the list of threads on the forum page.
4) Enabling push notifications. There are a couple threads I follow and I'd get a notification if someone posted in one. I can't see if that's available anymore but if it is, can't find it.

Considering the move, huge success that that request list is as small and minor as it is. Great work to all involved in getting this done.
I should clarify for #3 above, I meant for mobile. It shows up on desktop but not on mobile.

Not available at the user configuration level.

#3 is already there :confused:

Not available at the user configuration level.
Again... if you are that dead set against the "Similar Threads" section of the site, it can be suppressed using AdBlockPlus if you have it installed in your browser. Simply have ABP exclude this element:

forums.footballguys.com##div[data-widget-id="11"]

Sorry, I clarified above. Yes, you see it on desktop but it's not there on mobile. That's what I was referring to but forgot to mention in my first post.

Sorry, I clarified above. Yes, you see it on desktop but it's not there on mobile. That's what I was referring to but forgot to mention in my first post.
Not ideal but if you flip your phone to vertical it shows up

Not ideal but if you flip your phone to vertical it shows up
I flipped my monitor to vertical and it went away :-)

New board is giving notifications for reactions to posts made by others that are downstream from your own post. So if I post something and there are 3 or 4 iterations of quotes to that post, I'm getting notifications of reactions to those users posts, not mine which was upstream. Generates alot of notifications which don't really belong to me.

Edit to add, this does the same for the downstream quotes themselves. User X quoted your post. They actually quoted someone who quoted someone who quoted someone who quoted my post. Everytime that conversation is replied to i get a notification. It muddies the notifications I'm probably more interested. That is direct quotes of and reactions to my own posts.
Agree with this. I don't know if there's a way to just nest the most recent thing you're quoting like on the old system but that was way better. Right now when someone does the quote function it quotes the entire conversation. And (unless you expand it) the visible section of the quote box is the least relevant part of the conversation. If possible it should show the last thing being responded to.

Agree with this. I don't know if there's a way to just nest the most recent thing you're quoting like on the old system but that was way better. Right now when someone does the quote function it quotes the entire conversation. And (unless you expand it) the visible section of the quote box is the least relevant part of the conversation. If possible it should show the last thing being responded to.
Wait! I figured this out!! When you're going to quote someone, just highlight the message you're responding to and a box will pop up allowing you to quote just that response without all the nesting. As shown here.

Wait! I figured this out!! When you're going to quote someone, just highlight the message you're responding to and a box will pop up allowing you to quote just that response without all the nesting. As shown here.

Thanks GB. We're all figuring this out together.
This iteration is way better than the previous ones. I can actually figure some stuff on my own just by trying stuff out. I'm scared to try the search function though. That seems like Shangri La.

I emailed about my username... quick response said board admin would get back to me. Nothing since. @Joe Bryant

I'm pretty sure it's as I thought. Without email recognition, I don't think there's anything they can do. Sorry. I know they are buried with subscriber content stuff making sure people can get access to content they've paid for.

I emailed about my username... quick response said board admin would get back to me. Nothing since. @Joe Bryant

There is an option to change your username under account details. I was just playing around with it to see if it actually worked, then was going to let deadbevo/matuski know he could change his name if the other account was gone forever. I changed mine to deadbevo2 and hit submit, then it said a mod would have to approve it, I can't cancel it. Please disregard that request for username change. Thanks!

Once you get the quote functionality down this is a much better board IMO. Cleaner and faster.

I'm assuming that the ignore lists just didn't port for some reason?

anyone know how to turn on notifications for certain threads? i can't seem to find it.
The "Watch" button at the top of each thread might do that. Dunno. I am now watching this thread to see if that works.
i tried that. no dice
Some time after marking this thread "watched" I started getting notifications like ":deadbevo: replied to the thread Please Read - Big Change For The Forum - Asking For Your Grace - Forum Offline 8/1. There may be more posts after this."

Maybe they fixed it or it just takes a while to kick in. Dunno.

Does anyone know how to start a thread with a poll? Searching previous threads that had polls show they are still there, I just don't see where to add one.

The search function is much better BTW.

Similarly, if I get, say, three reactions to one of my posts, I get three separate notifications. On the old board I would get one notification saying three people reacted to my post - that was more efficient and made more sense.

Fantastic work @Joe Bryant and team! I love the new environment and really appreciate the many hours of effort it took to make the transition.
It's going so well, I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop.
Right? I can't believe how fast it is.

I told Joe at the time that I thought it might be a blessing in disguise, and even though I know having it down during draft season was horrible, wow has it been a good change.

Does anyone know how to start a thread with a poll? Searching previous threads that had polls show they are still there, I just don't see where to add one.

The search function is much better BTW.
Guessing the option to create polls is not enabled:

@Maurile Tremblay ?

We were able to reduce the number of "similar threads" from 5 to 3. That feels like a good compromise.

Joe, this is not at all urgent, and if it can't be done it's no big deal at all, but I wonder if there's a way to get the "similar threads" to be only those from the same forum? For instance, I've been in a couple of PSF threads lately (shoot me now) that had "similar threads" that were from the Shark Pool, one talking about a league question and another about a particular player. I don't know how the data is being compared, but obviously those aren't useful. More important than that direction, I think, would be that people in the Shark Pool wouldn't find it helpful to have similar threads in the PSF (shudder). Just a thought for potential tinkering down the road.

Joe, this is not at all urgent, and if it can't be done it's no big deal at all, but I wonder if there's a way to get the "similar threads" to be only those from the same forum? For instance, I've been in a couple of PSF threads lately (shoot me now) that had "similar threads" that were from the Shark Pool, one talking about a league question and another about a particular player. I don't know how the data is being compared, but obviously those aren't useful. More important than that direction, I think, would be that people in the Shark Pool wouldn't find it helpful to have similar threads in the PSF (shudder). Just a thought for potential tinkering down the road.

I'll ask Keith to research when he can.

Last edited:
Looks like Invision is trying to get another of their fantasy football boards to "quit" them - convenient timing for major board issues at another site I frequent, though their traffic is vastly reduced from their heyday or compared to here,

@Joe Bryant - I understand why there's a delay function to prevent some malicious user or bot from spam-blasting the forums.

Is it possible to drop it down from 15 seconds to say, 10, or maybe even 5 seconds? Some of us hang-out in the in-game topics during the games to discuss things we see in real time. And things happen faster than 15 seconds in real time.

Another time this pops up is on the WSIS topic, when you're answering one person, and another person quotes you and asks a question - then one has to wait 15 seconds to answer them, and if it's 5 mins before lineups lock, that's rough too.

If not, not a big deal, but it can get inconvenient. Would be amazing if this duration could be shortened. I would think 5 seconds would be sufficient to defeat a spam-bot, or malicious user.

Cheers
:hifive:

@Joe Bryant - I understand why there's a delay function to prevent some malicious user or bot from spam-blasting the forums.

Is it possible to drop it down from 15 seconds to say, 10, or maybe even 5 seconds? Some of us hang-out in the in-game topics during the games to discuss things we see in real time. And things happen faster than 15 seconds in real time.

Another time this pops up is on the WSIS topic, when you're answering one person, and another person quotes you and asks a question - then one has to wait 15 seconds to answer them, and if it's 5 mins before lineups lock, that's rough too.

If not, not a big deal, but it can get inconvenient. Would be amazing if this duration could be shortened. I would think 5 seconds would be sufficient to defeat a spam-bot, or malicious user.

Cheers
:hifive:

I'll look but I'm pretty sure that's not something that can change

@Joe Bryant noticed and don't have time to look through the whole thread but our ignored lists reset. Everyone anyone had on ignore isn't blocked anymore. Had to go through a few already. Anyway to change this or is that one of the features not able to get carried over?

Users who are viewing this thread