What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Plumber guys, frozen pipe question (1 Viewer)

ghostguy123

Footballguy
Hey guys, wondering what, if anything, I should do about this.
I waited too long on one of my outside spigots. The hose was still attached, I took it off this morning, and there is currently frozen water inside the spigot.
It's 24 degrees out now, and won't go above freezing till Monday.
I put one of those foam covers on it like I always do.
One issue, I do NOT have a shut off valve inside the house. If I want to shut the water off for that spigot I have to shut off the water to the whole house.
What can I do about the situation right now to decrease the chance of any pipe bursting?

Is the pipe leading up to the spigot inside the house?

Most likely the only frozen you have to worry about is the spigot. I would gently take a screw driver and break up the ice in the spigot. If the spigot is off you should be fine.

Most likely the only frozen you have to worry about is the spigot. I would gently take a screw driver and break up the ice in the spigot. If the spigot is off you should be fine.
Yes the spigot was off. I never leave those on with the hose.
Yes the pipe leading to the spigot is in the house.

I doubt 24 degrees is going to affect the pipes into the house unless you have ridiculously poor insulation. As belljr suggested, it is probably just locally frozen near the end of the spigot. If it doesn't break up easily use a hair dryer or heat gun to gently warm the spigot on the exterior and see if that loosens it up. If it is truly frozen all the way into the house already, position a little space heater in the area where the pipe enters the home.

Yes the spigot was off. I never leave those on with the hose.
Yes the pipe leading to the spigot is in the house.
You'll be fine, this happens to me ever year. Just get the ice out of the spigot

I would pour gas on the spigot and then use a blow torch to warm it up, before you do that make sure to use yellow caution tape around the area so the flames know not to spread past that barrier. This should warm up the frozen and then you can attach your holiday foam booty to it.

If that fails do what gianmarco said.

Users who are viewing this thread