What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Possible Relocation to Chicago: What Do I need to know; Where to live? etc. (1 Viewer)

Angry Beavers

Footballguy
The Thread title says it all - I have an offer in hand, but it involves relocating to Chicago from Cleveland. I am looking for information on neighborhoods to look at, or avoid and trying to get a sense if people that live there are generally happy or can't wait to leave. The kids are older so if we take the plunge, it will likely be just me and the wife, but no one still in High School so the school district is not a consideration except for property value.  ( the last one graduates Spring 2019 and I can put off relocating until then; the employer is good with me working some weeks at home and some weeks there until then; the employer is also willing to pay air and accommodations for weeks I am in Chicago until moving so that part is covered). We aren't likely moving until next spring/summer but I am trying to get a sense of what I am potentially getting myself into. Any and all insights would be greatly appreciated. 

PS - it is good offer but it is by no means Chet money if that helps. 

You would be moving into one of the most heavily taxed states, county (Cook), and city with good odds those taxes/costs are going to increase even more once Rauner is most likely voted out and Rahm is replaced.  Just something to keep in mind.   

What's your price range?
We may not even buy a place. My wife doesn't want to leave her family so we are contemplating running a couple of households. We would sell the home we have here and downsize - which we planning on doing anyway as we don't need all the space we have with 3 kids out of the house - or soon to be - and I may just rent a place for a bit. Her parents are older and live close by and she feels like she needs to take care of them. 

For those wondering, I have been unhappy at my job for a while now and this opportunity literally presented itself in the last two weeks through a mutual friend in the industry. 

You would be moving into one of the most heavily taxed states, county (Cook), and city with good odds those taxes/costs are going to increase even more once Rauner is most likely voted out and Rahm is replaced.  Just something to keep in mind.   
Thanks - that's no good......

If it were up to me, condo, city
I'm not fully up to speed on rental costs, but there should be plenty of options to choose from depending on what you care about the most.

proximity to downtown/length of work commute?

if you plan on taking a train to work, will want to be close to a CTA or Metra station.

if you are flying back and forth to Cleveland, may want to consider how easy it is to get to/from the airport(s) as well.

After spending just 3 days there last summer, Chicago is a top 5 US City for me to visit.  Absolutely loved it.  

Of course, this was in the summer and I had a free place to stay.  But I want to go back and spend a lot more time there.  What a treasure!

If it were up to me, condo, city
Do that.  You will love living the city, especially if your kids are out of school.  It's where all the action is.  Are you working downtown?

The COL is very high in CHI. Taxes suck.  I think the sales tax rate in the Loop is 11% or so.

If you buy a condo, make sure it has a parking spot.  Renting parking spots in CHI can be quite expensive.  Keep that in mind when you're negotiating to buy a condo.

Where is your office located?  What will be your budget for monthly rent?  If you dont want to share here, feel free to private message me.  I live in the west loop and walk to work in the loop.  Have also lived in River North and Ukrainian Village.  Happy to provide insights into those and other neighborhoods but need a little more info.

Angry Beavers said:
The Thread title says it all - I have an offer in hand, but it involves relocating to Chicago from Cleveland. I am looking for information on neighborhoods to look at, or avoid and trying to get a sense if people that live there are generally happy or can't wait to leave. The kids are older so if we take the plunge, it will likely be just me and the wife, but no one still in High School so the school district is not a consideration except for property value.  ( the last one graduates Spring 2019 and I can put off relocating until then; the employer is good with me working some weeks at home and some weeks there until then; the employer is also willing to pay air and accommodations for weeks I am in Chicago until moving so that part is covered). We aren't likely moving until next spring/summer but I am trying to get a sense of what I am potentially getting myself into. Any and all insights would be greatly appreciated. 

PS - it is good offer but it is by no means Chet money if that helps. 
:lmao:  I laughed...

General Malaise said:
After spending just 3 days there last summer, Chicago is a top 5 US City for me to visit.  Absolutely loved it.  

Of course, this was in the summer and I had a free place to stay.  But I want to go back and spend a lot more time there.  What a treasure!
I agree but you need a treasure to live there...my lives in Ukrainian Village..has a awesome 3 story building with a rooftop that lines up with the Sear/Willis Tower when you look downtown.  They paid 650K and they don`t have Chet type money but the place was totally redone before they bought it.   We go see her 3-4 times a year.  I drop 1500 easy for 2 days with free lodging and parking.  That is not doing it up with big dinners.  Just Ubering around hitting bars and local places. 

Where is your office located?  What will be your budget for monthly rent?  If you dont want to share here, feel free to private message me.  I live in the west loop and walk to work in the loop.  Have also lived in River North and Ukrainian Village.  Happy to provide insights into those and other neighborhoods but need a little more info.
Thanks much - the office is downtown. It is clear I need to figure out the budget, which in part will depend upon selling this house etc. I have several months which I know sounds a lot longer than it is. I will circle back around when I have a clearer picture! 

I agree but you need a treasure to live there...my lives in Ukrainian Village..has a awesome 3 story building with a rooftop that lines up with the Sear/Willis Tower when you look downtown.  They paid 650K and they don`t have Chet type money but the place was totally redone before they bought it.   We go see her 3-4 times a year.  I drop 1500 easy for 2 days with free lodging and parking.  That is not doing it up with big dinners.  Just Ubering around hitting bars and local places. 
My BIL and SIal are there as well. Really cool area and we are able to get around anywhere in the city pretty efficiently.

Well the south side is akin to living in Beirut so I'd probably avoid it. HTH
Not entirely true. Neighborhoods like Hyde Park, Beverley, Bridgeport, and Mt Greenwood are perfectly normal and safe. 

Northside of the city is very safe and normal. Lots of different types of vibes within that too. Easy commutes into the Loop as well from bedroom communities like Evanston, Oak Park and many more that are very close to the city proper. 

Not entirely true. Neighborhoods like Hyde Park, Beverley, Bridgeport, and Mt Greenwood are perfectly normal and safe. 

Northside of the city is very safe and normal. Lots of different types of vibes within that too. Easy commutes into the Loop as well from bedroom communities like Evanston, Oak Park and many more that are very close to the city proper. 
No. Jiffycheever says that all of Chicago is a warzone and that everyone is lamenting taxes when we're not dodging bullets or burying our children.  It's a biting criticism, but boy did he nail the Chicago experience. 

We definitely need more information. A couple thoughts:

Strongly consider eliminating the car entirely. If you live near the El or Metra and don’t have kids at an age to drive around I can’t think of any good reason to have one.

If you’re going to rent, and don’t care about schools, your options are vast. A ballpark monthly figure would be quite helpful.

Strongly consider eliminating the car entirely. If you live near the El or Metra and don’t have kids at an age to drive around I can’t think of any good reason to have one.
This. There is a thriving rides hare thing here along with taxis. Public transportation is abundant and convenient. Mass transit is good for commuting. Bike lanes are all over too. . Why deal with parking hassles if you don't have to, right? 

As far as apartments rentals go, use Zillow or Domu to find what you're budgeting. Then ask around here what recommendations are for any neighborhood maybe. 

Users who are viewing this thread