What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Post Draft Bloom 100! (1 Viewer)

Sigmund Bloom said:
felix=norwood in a better o, but with dicier hands.
He's not quite the speedfreak Norwood is either. Norwood has never been featured and we can't be sure how he would do with that big YPC if he was. He's barely been part of a committee. I think he could be excellent with an opportunity -- FWP pt II. This is about opportunity with Felix. First round RBs get their shot. Norwood may never get a realistic one. Dallas will do everything to allow Felix a chance to succeed. Most RBs would do fine there.So I read: felix=norwood IN A BETTER O WITH MORE GUARANTEED TOUCHES AND AN OWNER DETERMINED TO LOOK SMART FOR TAKING HIM but with dicier hands

:blackdot: I love the talent v opportunity discussions and sympathize with your side at most positions, but RBs like Parker and Norwood are products of opportunity, imo.

[hijack] How would you rank Mendenhall had Dallas drafted him? Very interested in that answer. [/hijack]

Hey Bloom - Would you rank Chris "the bullet" Johnson higher than Forte in a PPR format. I am having a hard time ranking Forte ahead oif Johnson even though most everyone has them flipped. I think Chris Johnson is going to break off alot of long ones this year.

switz said:
Sigmund Bloom said:
Bloom, generally I respect your take on players, but this is one where you are way way way way way off. I'm not sure why you have such a negative view of Jones, but if you think he is Norwood with lesser hands, you really haven't seen the two of them play.
let me be a little clearer - the Norwood comparison was mainly role based, but the hands comment alludes to Jones being less of a factor in the passing game.I actually think Norwood has more lethal lateral agility and just about as good a burst as Felix.

I see Felix as a Tatum Bell type.
:mellow: OK, I at least saw some similarities between Norwood and Jones as runners, but Tatum Bell????? I can see you really just dislike Felix. It's ok, we all have players we love, we all have players we hate.

I think people are missing the boat on Jones based on a ton of misinformation, and an improper view of his secondary role to the best RB in college football. What's funny about it, is in the NFL, a backup to a great RB who looks amazing in a limited role is almost universally hyped as potential stud material (see Michael Turner, DeAngelo Williams, MB3). But a guy who does that in college is always met with "why didn't he start" accusations, when colleges more frequently use RBBC than the NFL does.

There is this myth that Jones only ran well when McFadden was on the field, especially when McFadden lined up at QB. This is absolute falsehood, as Jones had tremendous success when he was lined up as the single back, and McFadden was on the sideline.

Also, people look at Jones weight, and think he is built like a rail. That too is false. Jones has extremely solid legs, a well built lower body, unlike Norwood and Bell, and McFadden. Where Jones is not built very thickly is his upper body, which is a good indication that he will be able to put on weight in his upper body in the NFL, without losing his speed and maneuverability.

I'm also not sure where the "bad hands" concept is coming from. Jones had very good hands in games, with only occasional drops in practice.

silentmark said:
trader jake said:
13 Kevin Smith RB Detroit

Let someone else overpay for Smith. I already explained why I don't like his running style, although playing indoors 9+ games a year will mitigate that - the other problem is that I don't see him getting short yardage/goal line carries - more on that later. He'll be long gone before 13 in every rookie draft.
I agree with the bolded part. Should I be concerned that I agree more with Millen than Bloom? :mellow: 24K is a stupid nickname
Fixed that for ya What do people think of Hightower on ARI ?
You mean Hi-T?A nice replacement for Shipp.

trader jake said:
13 Kevin Smith RB Detroit

Let someone else overpay for Smith. I already explained why I don't like his running style, although playing indoors 9+ games a year will mitigate that - the other problem is that I don't see him getting short yardage/goal line carries - more on that later. He'll be long gone before 13 in every rookie draft.
I agree with the bolded part. Should I be concerned that I agree more with Millen than Bloom? :thumbup: 24K is a :shrug: nickname
I wonder if he will be able to use it. #24 on the lions is already being used by a guy named Greg Blue, a 3 year vet. Unless he buys it from Blue....

switz said:
Sigmund Bloom said:
Bloom, generally I respect your take on players, but this is one where you are way way way way way off. I'm not sure why you have such a negative view of Jones, but if you think he is Norwood with lesser hands, you really haven't seen the two of them play.
let me be a little clearer - the Norwood comparison was mainly role based, but the hands comment alludes to Jones being less of a factor in the passing game.I actually think Norwood has more lethal lateral agility and just about as good a burst as Felix.I see Felix as a Tatum Bell type.
Maybe they should have went after Tatum in free agency (cheaper then Felix..also a hometown kid), drafted a WR where Felix got drafted and still get their CB later.

The Houston Stallions said:
Raagsreth said:
When Shannhan says Torain reminds me of Terrell Davis I listen. Torain is already in my top 5!
Is it just me, or does Torian run very straight up? Granted this is a workout video, but still...
Reread both questions, physically and the upright style is similiar, not talent.

The Houston Stallions said:
When Shannhan says Torain reminds me of Terrell Davis I listen. Torain is already in my top 5!
Is it just me, or does Torian run very straight up? Granted this is a workout video, but still...
I'm not seeing the "similiarity in size or sculpture in pads" other than the fact they are both 6'1". Maybe it's just me. :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not going by measurables, even though they are pretty spot on. Both have big upper bodies and wear bigger then normal shoulder pads. Like I said the first name that popped into my head when I saw his stature on the field, was him. I feel like I'm in a beauty pageant describing a contestant.

silentmark said:
What do people think of Hightower on ARI ?
We got to see him at the Tx v The Nation game and came away largely unimpressed. Day One:Tim Hightower, RichmondGood moves and cutbacks, but sometimes uses them when he doesnt need to. Takes false steps and can get swallowed up. Day Two:Tim Hightower, RichmondFlashy cutbacks, but otherwise ineffective. Didn't make the top 40 in my pre-draft rankings.

silentmark said:
We got to see him at the Tx v The Nation game and came away largely unimpressed. Day One:Tim Hightower, RichmondGood moves and cutbacks, but sometimes uses them when he doesnt need to. Takes false steps and can get swallowed up. Day Two:Tim Hightower, RichmondFlashy cutbacks, but otherwise ineffective. Didn't make the top 40 in my pre-draft rankings.
Lets see your post draft rankings!I am working on mine. Having pre-draft rankings makes it even tougher to move these guys around based on situation and draft (or in some cases, non-draft) position.From what I gather, Bloom's and other DraftGuys' rankings are based on PPR and FBGs are not, correct?

silentmark said:
Lets see your post draft rankings!I am working on mine. Having pre-draft rankings makes it even tougher to move these guys around based on situation and draft (or in some cases, non-draft) position.From what I gather, Bloom's and other DraftGuys' rankings are based on PPR and FBGs are not, correct?
my post draft rankings are up at FBG's. I'm working on overall rookies this afternoon.

silentmark said:
We got to see him at the Tx v The Nation game and came away largely unimpressed. Day One:

Tim Hightower, Richmond

Good moves and cutbacks, but sometimes uses them when he doesnt need to. Takes false steps and can get swallowed up.

Day Two:

Tim Hightower, Richmond

Flashy cutbacks, but otherwise ineffective.

Didn't make the top 40 in my pre-draft rankings.
Lets see your post draft rankings!I am working on mine. Having pre-draft rankings makes it even tougher to move these guys around based on situation and draft (or in some cases, non-draft) position.

From what I gather, Bloom's and other DraftGuys' rankings are based on PPR and FBGs are not, correct?
my post draft rankings are up at FBG's. I'm working on overall rookies this afternoon.
Link?

Sigmund Bloom said:
He's not quite the speedfreak Norwood is either. Norwood has never been featured and we can't be sure how he would do with that big YPC if he was. He's barely been part of a committee. I think he could be excellent with an opportunity -- FWP pt II. This is about opportunity with Felix. First round RBs get their shot. Norwood may never get a realistic one. Dallas will do everything to allow Felix a chance to succeed. Most RBs would do fine there.So I read: felix=norwood IN A BETTER O WITH MORE GUARANTEED TOUCHES AND AN OWNER DETERMINED TO LOOK SMART FOR TAKING HIM but with dicier hands

:goodposting: I love the talent v opportunity discussions and sympathize with your side at most positions, but RBs like Parker and Norwood are products of opportunity, imo.

[hijack] How would you rank Mendenhall had Dallas drafted him? Very interested in that answer. [/hijack]
This brings me to the question I have...Bloom please rank the RB's based on talent alone (in other words they all go to the same team)?Thanks.

I am in the camp that McFadden will be more like a Reggie Bush type of player (although Reggie will be better than last year). I would be interested more more in people's opinion of Kevin Smith as this is one that is interesting.

silentmark said:
yeah, and as a higher percentage of people do not use PPR non PPR would be great. Honestly, I still don't know why people use PPR for RB's...doesn't make sense...but no hijack please.To your question, you are correct

silentmark said:
We got to see him at the Tx v The Nation game and came away largely unimpressed. Day One:

Tim Hightower, Richmond

Good moves and cutbacks, but sometimes uses them when he doesnt need to. Takes false steps and can get swallowed up.

Day Two:

Tim Hightower, Richmond

Lets see your post draft rankings!I am working on mine. Having pre-draft rankings makes it even tougher to move these guys around based on situation and draft (or in some cases, non-draft) position.

From what I gather, Bloom's and other DraftGuys' rankings are based on PPR and FBGs are not, correct?
Link?
http://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/v...amp;howrecent=7

silentmark said:

Tim Hightower, Richmond

Day Two:

Tim Hightower, Richmond

Link?
My b, I was looking for dynasty

Sigmund Bloom said:

:confused: I love the talent v opportunity discussions and sympathize with your side at most positions, but RBs like Parker and Norwood are products of opportunity, imo.

This brings me to the question I have...Bloom please rank the RB's based on talent alone (in other words they all go to the same team)?Thanks.

I am in the camp that McFadden will be more like a Reggie Bush type of player (although Reggie will be better than last year). I would be interested more more in people's opinion of Kevin Smith as this is one that is interesting.
Wouldn't you already have that with his pre-draft rankings?

Sigmund Bloom said:

:unsure: I love the talent v opportunity discussions and sympathize with your side at most positions, but RBs like Parker and Norwood are products of opportunity, imo.

Wouldn't you already have that with his pre-draft rankings?
Yes and no. Since the pre draft 100, I have watched hundreds of hours of tape in preparation for the draft and refined my opinion on these guys.

Bloom,

Earl Bennett is a tricky WR for me to figure out. He landed in a great situation, but the scouting reports that I read before the draft said that he's a poor route runner and SI projected him to be a 6th rounder. The Bears obviously don't agree since he was picked in the 3rd round.

Do you have him ranked #12 strictly because he landed on a team with cruddy WR's or do you see something that suggest that he would've been a good WR regardless of which team picked him?

I've never seen him play. Does he remind you of another WR?

Thanks!

Bloom, Earl Bennett is a tricky WR for me to figure out. He landed in a great situation, but the scouting reports that I read before the draft said that he's a poor route runner and SI projected him to be a 6th rounder. The Bears obviously don't agree since he was picked in the 3rd round.Do you have him ranked #12 strictly because he landed on a team with cruddy WR's or do you see something that suggest that he would've been a good WR regardless of which team picked him?I've never seen him play. Does he remind you of another WR?Thanks!
I've been high on him since day one. He was with Avery right behind the Thomas/Kelly/Hardy tier in the pre draft 100.Fearless over the middle and in the air, and a real playmaker. Doesn't have outstanding size or speed, just gets the job done. Compare wise, I'd say Jerricho Cotchery , but better at deep ball tracking, and not as strong.

Bloom,

Earl Bennett is a tricky WR for me to figure out. He landed in a great situation, but the scouting reports that I read before the draft said that he's a poor route runner and SI projected him to be a 6th rounder. The Bears obviously don't agree since he was picked in the 3rd round.

Do you have him ranked #12 strictly because he landed on a team with cruddy WR's or do you see something that suggest that he would've been a good WR regardless of which team picked him?

Thanks!
He has to get better at the little things, but Bennett is a player. he reminds me of Hines Ward with his toughness/strength combo. Obviously Hines is a much better route runner.

Bloom, Earl Bennett is a tricky WR for me to figure out. He landed in a great situation, but the scouting reports that I read before the draft said that he's a poor route runner and SI projected him to be a 6th rounder. The Bears obviously don't agree since he was picked in the 3rd round.Do you have him ranked #12 strictly because he landed on a team with cruddy WR's or do you see something that suggest that he would've been a good WR regardless of which team picked him?I've never seen him play. Does he remind you of another WR?Thanks!
I've been high on him since day one. He was with Avery right behind the Thomas/Kelly/Hardy tier in the pre draft 100.Fearless over the middle and in the air, and a real playmaker. Doesn't have outstanding size or speed, just gets the job done. Compare wise, I'd say Jerricho Cotchery , but better at deep ball tracking, but not as strong.
I have a tough time getting excited about Bennett in that offense with Grossman at QB, but someone has to take up the slack. Could have a Bowe-type year if things go right.

Bloom,

Thanks!
He has to get better at the little things, but Bennett is a player. he reminds me of Hines Ward with his toughness/strength combo. Obviously Hines is a much better route runner.
Man, Cec, if Denver had taken Bennett instead of Royal in the second, is he WR3 in this fantasy class?

Bloom,

Thanks!
Man, Cec, if Denver had taken Bennett instead of Royal in the second, is he WR3 in this fantasy class?
That would've been great for Jay Cutler. Royal brings more to the table in the return game, but Jay would've loved the pick. Cutler threw the passes for EB at Vandy's pro day. Rookie could be the best WR in Chicago.

Bloom,

Thanks!
That would've been great for Jay Cutler. Royal brings more to the table in the return game, but Jay would've loved the pick. Cutler threw the passes for EB at Vandy's pro day. Rookie could be the best WR in Chicago.
:thumbup: he would have been my #1 WR from this class in Denver.

silentmark said:

Tim Hightower, Richmond

Day Two:

Tim Hightower, Richmond

Link?
Wimer has Barber ranked #2 overall ?????????? Please tell us that's a misprint!

switz said:
Sigmund Bloom said:
:thumbup: I've seen them both play extensively and couldn't agree more with the comparison. Frankly, I hate when people throw out the whole 'you haven't really seen them play' line when they've got nothing better to say. It's called an opinion. We all have one. I really don't see what's wrong with being compared to Norwood (an excellent COP back).

I already wish I had put Hester higher. Maybe top 50.

edit to add: Also would bump Wheeler a few spots.

I have the #2 pick in my rookie draft coming up and I plan on taking Kevin Smith. I don't see anything on film that he can't do and I believe those that pass on him will be passing on the next Frank Gore/Terrell Davis/Curtis Martin/MJD sleeper from this draft. As I said, i'm going to put my money where my mouth is in two weeks and take 24K #2 . Barring injury, he will win Rookie of the Year honors.
I am all for taking the player you want, thats what dynasty is all about..... But if you're gonna take Smith at 2, i'd drop down to 3 or 4 and get something in return

Someone, maybe Wimer, recently posted that they feel Barber is due for 300+ carries because "Jones will be learning the ropes."Maybe Wimer thinks Barber will still average 4.8 on the 300+ carries and rush for 1500 yards, plus get most of the receiving, as so many think Felix has no hands, thus getting over 500 yards receiving. Plus being such a great goalline back, he's due for 20+ TDs

:thumbup:

... I'm thinking it was a misprint

but blind exaggerated speculation is fun too

Barber will be this year what he was last year.

Someone, maybe Wimer, recently posted that they feel Barber is due for 300+ carries because "Jones will be learning the ropes."Maybe Wimer thinks Barber will still average 4.8 on the 300+ carries and rush for 1500 yards, plus get most of the receiving, as so many think Felix has no hands, thus getting over 500 yards receiving. Plus being such a great goalline back, he's due for 20+ TDs

:goodposting:

... I'm thinking it was a misprint

but blind exaggerated speculation is fun too

Barber will be this year what he was last year.
Agree Switz, still thinking Barber as a High#2 back for fantasy purposes, good but I'm not thinking top 12 this year.

Where would you guys rank Matt Ryan in a 12 team league that starts 2 QB's? I could see him as high as #4. Thoughts?

Bloom,

Thanks!
I've seen several Vanderbilt games over the last 3 years living in Nashville and I disagree on the route running aspect. How do you consistently get open in the SEC with no other weapons and no deep speed if you aren't at least decent at running routes. He didn't have Cutler last year either so it wasn't the QB. I believe he finished as the All-time reception leader in the SEC...maybe I'm wrong on that though

I'm in my car this morning on my way to work and one of the local sports radio guys (1010 am) is interviewing Bloom on the status of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Bloom is everywhere.

:rolleyes: I've seen them both play extensively and couldn't agree more with the comparison.
Believe me, I like Norwood a lot. I have him on my FF team, and fully expected him to supplant Dunn last year as the starter. I just don't see any similarities outside of being faster RBs who were used to run outside a lot. Jones however was more effective as both a receiver and a runner in college. He has a much thicker lower body build than Norwood, and actually can run inside.
Frankly, I hate when people throw out the whole 'you haven't really seen them play' line when they've got nothing better to say. It's called an opinion. We all have one. I really don't see what's wrong with being compared to Norwood (an excellent COP back).
Actually, I usually say that when I respect someone's opinion a lot, but they disagree. I generally assume it's not that they are wrong, but rather misinformed, or uninformed. You're right, sometimes equally informed people will disagree. But I'd rather assume someone is uninformed than just wrong. :)

Bloom or anyone else who wants to answer,

How big a gap do you see between the top 3 rookie RBs and the next tier of rookie RBs? Also, where do you see the end of the 2nd tier and beginning of the 3rd tier?

Thanks.

Bloom or anyone else who wants to answer,

How big a gap do you see between the top 3 rookie RBs and the next tier of rookie RBs? Also, where do you see the end of the 2nd tier and beginning of the 3rd tier?

Thanks.
My take- PPR, by tier, order will vary to each person:Tier 1

Stewart

Mendenhall

McFadden

BIG GAP

Tier 2

Jones

Forte

Smith

Johnson

Rice

Bloom,

Thanks!
:goodposting: he would have been my #1 WR from this class in Denver.
As a Marshall owner, I would have taken him at 1.11 instead of Devin Thomas. The Royal pick surprised me and I have to wonder what the reasons were for passing on Bennett. Cutler is good friends with Bennett and helped him at his Pro Day so there had to be more to Royal than just his PR ability, or maybe not.

Bloom,

Thanks!
:unsure: he would have been my #1 WR from this class in Denver.
As a Marshall owner, I would have taken him at 1.11 instead of Devin Thomas. The Royal pick surprised me and I have to wonder what the reasons were for passing on Bennett. Cutler is good friends with Bennett and helped him at his Pro Day so there had to be more to Royal than just his PR ability, or maybe not.
I think the reason is Bennett couldnt help in the return game like Royal can.

bloom

suggestion.....i like seeing teirs in your rankings... think you can work that in as you update?

Bloom,

Thanks!
:2cents: he would have been my #1 WR from this class in Denver.
I think the reason is Bennett couldnt help in the return game like Royal can.
Exactly. The Broncos wanted 2 players above all else entering this draft. The 2? Clady and Royal. They liked what they saw on film, and at the Senior Bowl.

Regarding both CIN WR's taken in the first few rounds, I'm seeing the majority of people are ranking/drafting Caldwell higher (much higher in some cases) than Jerome Simpson, despite the order in which they were drafted.

Can you guys share your opinions on this? I'll admit, I'm still catching up from this weekend, and I'm sure there's something I'm missing here. Thanks!

Regarding both CIN WR's taken in the first few rounds, I'm seeing the majority of people are ranking/drafting Caldwell higher (much higher in some cases) than Jerome Simpson, despite the order in which they were drafted.Can you guys share your opinions on this? I'll admit, I'm still catching up from this weekend, and I'm sure there's something I'm missing here. Thanks!
Caldwell is the speed threat and seemed to be running good routes at the Senior Bowl next to a lot of the other top prospects, but Florida mainly used him after the catch. His plethora of injuries, plus falling to the late third make me think he didnt do well on the medical exam at the combine.Simpson is a big framed big hands WR who is like velcro, but he's not necessarily a gamebreaker.

Users who are viewing this thread