What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Priest Holmes Information *** (1 Viewer)

I'm just wondering what some of you guys are doing about the Holmes'news/updates. The news doesn't sound right to me either. I know it could go either way in the end, but it seems like the injury does have Holmes' a bit more concerned than normal.(1) Are you trading for L.Johnson? If so, what have you been offering for him?(2) Are you trading P.Holmes? If so, what you getting for him?As a fellow Holmes owner, I've already received some trade offers for him, as well as making a few offers for L.Johnson. Nothing has panned out, yet.Best offer for Holmes received so far is E.Manning/R.Droughns. I didn't like it.

I'm just wondering what some of you guys are doing about the Holmes'news/updates. The news doesn't sound right to me either. I know it could go either way in the end, but it seems like the injury does have Holmes' a bit more concerned than normal.

(1) Are you trading for L.Johnson? If so, what have you been offering for him?

(2) Are you trading P.Holmes? If so, what you getting for him?

As a fellow Holmes owner, I've already received some trade offers for him, as well as making a few offers for L.Johnson. Nothing has panned out, yet.

Best offer for Holmes received so far is E.Manning/R.Droughns. I didn't like it.
I have LJ in two leagues ... and have kept him on my bench for sitautions like this. I did not hold on to him this long to let him go cheaply. If (and I dont wish misfortune on anyone) Priest is hurt, LJ is then HUGE and will look for a top 10 producer. I would even bunldle him with another top RB or WR to go after LT or Anexander!

It would only take one week with LJ as the undisputed starter to get the feeding frenzy going IMO.

Otherwise ... I will take the points I can get from him on well thought out starts and just see what happens.

I'm just wondering what some of you guys are doing about the Holmes'news/updates.  The news doesn't sound right to me either.  I know it could go either way in the end, but it seems like the injury does have Holmes' a bit more concerned than normal.

(1) Are you trading for L.Johnson?  If so, what have you been offering for him?

(2) Are you trading P.Holmes?  If so, what you getting for him?

As a fellow Holmes owner, I've already received some trade offers for him, as well as making a few offers for L.Johnson.  Nothing has panned out, yet.

Best offer for Holmes received so far is E.Manning/R.Droughns.  I didn't like it.
I have LJ in two leagues ... and have kept him on my bench for sitautions like this. I did not hold on to him this long to let him go cheaply. If (and I dont wish misfortune on anyone) Priest is hurt, LJ is then HUGE and will look for a top 10 producer. I would even bunldle him with another top RB or WR to go after LT or Anexander!

It would only take one week with LJ as the undisputed starter to get the feeding frenzy going IMO.

Otherwise ... I will take the points I can get from him on well thought out starts and just see what happens.
:goodposting: I have offered LJ for Gates to the Priest owner but after Gates huge game last week he is not budging...yet.

I can get LJ and Hasselbeck for RMoss. With Daunte out, McNabb is my risky starter. I have CJ, DJax and JSmith at wideout, so could afford to lose RMoss. It's got me thinking...

it all depends on your needs I am deep at RB and look at LJ as an investment and will cash out when he peaks, otherwise I will hold on to him if you need big help right away ... then that is a decision you have to make but I don't know if MA's value is that much greater the LJ's now and the reward of LJ is significantly greater Either way ... now or later, I think MA is cheap for LJ (especially to a priest owner) the last thing you want to do is trade LJ quickly and cheaply and then watch the owner turn around and involve him in a big trade deal!

No all on subject, but interesting. Sorry if :honda:, but from kcchiefs.com.Q&A WITH COACH VERMEILNov 02, 2005, 6:11:28 PMQ: What’s the condition of Priest Holmes?D. VERMEIL: “He’s going to get a second opinion, just to reassure himself. But all the tests came out fine and he had a big smile on his face this morning. He didn’t have a concussion, but he did get hit in the head. As of yesterday he still had a little bit of a headache. You get hit like that you get a headache. But we’re sending him for a second opinion just to make sure it’s all right.“We’ve got to be healthy to be as good as we have in the past, but Priest Holmes is not going to have the same numbers that he had last year at the same time because he’s sharing with Larry Johnson. Between them we’ve got 10 touchdowns. If we weren’t doing that Priest Holmes might be very close to the same numbers he had last year. Last year at this time he had 180 carries for 833 yards and 13 touchdowns. But when you’re sharing the responsibility you’re never going to be as productive individually.“Priest Holmes is not a big ego guy. I don’t feel he thinks every week he has to prove that he’s a fine football player. I think what he wants to do right now is stay healthy. The last couple of years he hasn’t been able to stay healthy and this has helped him.”Q: Did he go out of town for this opinion?VERMEIL: “He went to southern California – our neuro guy that we use out there.”Q: Do you expect him to play on Sunday or is it too early to tell.VERMEIL: “I expect him to play, I do. I’m not a doctor but I’ve been there before and seen these kinds of things before. I think it was good for Priest to go get complete peace of mind.”Q: Is he due back tomorrow?VERMEIL: “No, he gets the examination tomorrow and won’t be back until after practice.”Q: If Priest doesn’t play and Larry (Johnson) has a nice game is it possible he could change your thinking about how you use the two?VERMEIL: “No, no. Priest Holmes is our starting running back but I wouldn’t be a bit surprised if Larry Johnson had a great game if he did (start) because I’ve seen him do it before. But Priest Holmes is the starter and we know that situation and they know it. I have great confidence in Larry and know he can do a great job. He’s played against these guys before.”Q: Larry has made it clear to everybody that it’s a situation that he’s tolerated, that he’s not at all happy with it but he’s…VERMEIL: “I wouldn’t want him to be happy with it or content. I hope that all our backups are all unhappy at not starting. He’s handling it well.”Q: So this is not a situation that you think could escalate?VERMEIL: “Ah, no. I’ve got more important things to worry about than that. I think they’re doing a good job with it and we’ve won four football games and lost three and I don’t think we lost three because we were rotating two running backs and I think we’ve won a couple because we were.”Q: You had a lot of other guys out today including Surtain and Warfield from your secondary?VERMEIL: “The first three corners did not practice today. Hopefully, some of them will start working tomorrow. Hopefully, Dexter (McCleon) will be able to work tomorrow. Will Shields and Willie Roaf were held out today but I think they’ll both be ready by tomorrow.”Q: How was Surtain’s knee today?VERMEIL: “He said it feels pretty good. He had a big smile on his face so normally when a player has an injury and it’s an experienced guy who’s had injuries before and is smiling it means they feel pretty good about it.”Q: Do you expect him to play or will you know more by the end of the week?VERMEIL: “I think we’ll just have to wait and play it by ear. I think he’s questionable.”Q: What about Warfield?VERMEIL: “He’ll play.”Q: How was practice today?VERMEIL: “Ok, not outstanding but OK.”Q: Why just OK?VERMEIL: “Sometimes it’s the frame of mind I go on the field with.”Q: Not having your quarterback, not having your top running back, not having your cornerback….VERMEIL: “All those things are a distraction. There are a lot of things on my mind today, believe me.”Q: Would it be rude to ask what’s on your….VERMEIL: “It wouldn’t be rude but you wouldn’t get an answer.”Q: What about Samie Parker?VERMEIL: “He’s still out I think. These young guys get injuries and it takes them a little longer than the veterans to get back and going. Plus, when it’s your knee it’s a little bit different than a shoulder.”Q: Are you frustrated with that situation?VERMEIL: “I’m always frustrated with those kinds of things, more so with younger players because it usually takes them longer.”Q: Dexter McCleon would seem to be a guy who would come back before he’s ready.VERMEIL: “He has enough experience not to do that because he’s had some problems there before at training camp. He did a little work today and I think he’ll do more tomorrow.”Q: Could Bartee move back to corner if he had to?VERMEIL: “If he had to, but I would not want him to because, right now, he’s backing up both safety positions. I think he’s ready to play safety and play it well. I watch him on the field and he flashes with great confidence.”Q: Are you stressing the importance of being 5-3 as opposed to 4-4?VERMEIL: “Oh yeah. To go to the turn at 5-3 would be a real plus for us or anybody in this league today. There are so many different ways to lose a football game and if you or anybody else could turn at 5-3 they’d have to feel good because the next eight games drop right off the calendar. They go by fast. The later part of our schedule is the only part of our schedule that we were given a break at any time this year. We play four out of the next five games on the road and then we end up with four of the last six at home. We play the last two at home so somewhere you have to take advantage of a break you get on that calendar.”Q: But the schedule’s a lot tougher at the end of the year, isn’t it?VERMEIL: “It looked tough to me the whole time. That’s why it was rated the number three or four toughest schedule in football prior to the season even starting. But now it’s started it’s even tougher.”Q: What approach do you think the Raiders will take covering Tony Gonzalez this weekend? In the past the Raiders have used a cornerback to cover him.VERMEIL: “I’d like to believe we do enough things to create problems with Tony, and he’s only two receptions short of where he was last year at this same time. Last year he had 34 (catches) and right now he has 32. What we appreciate about Tony is how serious he is about the running game and playing his role, not concerns for Pro Bowls or being the number one tight end. All he wants to do is win.”Q: What’s the state of your defense?VERMEIL: “It’s better but it’s an ever growing process of getting better. You just don’t all of a sudden become a great defense. But we have done some things better than we have done in the past: stopping the run is better and forcing people to throw the ball more. We’ve been ahead more and people have had to play catch-up football. That’ll test your numbers. But irrespective of that, we’re not where we’d like to be but we’d like to think we’re making progress.”Q: How much more explosive is Oakland’s attack now since you first played them?VERMEIL: “I think we’ve both scored about the same amount of points – both teams. They have superior weapons than most people have. They have a great running back and two great wide receivers and not many people have two great wide receivers. The Rams have a couple of wide receivers like that. Not many times do and Kerry Collins is throwing the ball well and maybe more productively and efficiently than he has at any time in his career.”Q: How important is Jerry Porter’s success to the Raiders offense?VERMEIL: “I think any offense when you have a skilled player like he is, once they start getting him the ball more often he makes more plays. That’s all there is to it. But he has other skilled people in his offense too, and they only have one ball per snap. You can’t get it to everybody every snap. Sometime we get accused of not getting the ball to Dante Hall, not getting the ball to Gonzalez enough, not getting the ball to this guy. Well, you only have one football per snap and sometimes coverages don’t allow you to get the ball to the guy you want to get it to.“But we have great respect for Porter and that whole group and the quarterback is throwing the ball well: 10 touchdowns and two interceptions. They’re doing a great job.”Q: How much emphasis do you put on this game with the Raiders?VERMEIL: “It’s hard to single out one game as more important especially within the division. This is an important game for us because it’s a home game; it’s a division game. The next two weeks we’re on the road.“After this game and the next two we’ve been through a part of the schedule that’s been very demanding and like our first four games. At the end of our schedule we’ve got four of six games at home. So we’ve got to play well regardless if it’s the Oakland Raiders, Denver Broncos or San Diego Chargers. We went out to San Diego and got beat last week and we hurt our chances within our division. Now, should we make the Raiders any more critical than any other game because they’re the Oakland Raiders? No, because they’re a division team.“I just respect other organizations and how they do them and (Raiders) have won more Super Bowls than I have.Q: So the rivalry between the Chiefs and Raiders doesn’t exist?VERMEIL: “No, it exists. I’m the head coach but I’m probably not as good at it as Marty (Schottenheimer) was in building any other factors other than it’s a division game at home and you’ve got to play well to beat the Raiders.“Right now it looks like Denver is playing better than all of us with their win-loss record. Look at San Diego and the schedule they’ve had and how they’ve fared after their ballgames. You look at the Raiders and how they’re coming on. We’re fortunate to have beaten them. You’ve got to stay healthy and number two you’ve got to help the best you can to keep the focus of your football team on improving every week and remaining competitive every down. It takes good football coaches, good players and some good fortune.”

It does seem that the original poster was right, though.It appears through everything I've read...if you read between the lines, Priest is scared to death.I think he'll take a week off to be sure. But, that's just me talking.

It does seem that the original poster was right, though.

It appears through everything I've read...if you read between the lines, Priest is scared to death.

I think he'll take a week off to be sure. But, that's just me talking.
What on earth would give you that idea?

It does seem that the original poster was right, though.

It appears through everything I've read...if you read between the lines, Priest is scared to death.

I think he'll take a week off to be sure. But, that's just me talking.
What on earth would give you that idea?
Which one? Scared to death?The need to reassure him through a second opinion...

The scaling back of, "Of course he's going to play this week..." even though tests proved to be just fine, according to ****.

Stuff like that.

I think the second MRI is reassuring since he is doing it to double check that it is cool for him to play this week. If he had one and was complaining and things were unsure that would be a problem, but this is nothing. He will play, and hopefully a bit better than last week.

Q: Do you expect him to play on Sunday or is it too early to tell.VERMEIL: “I expect him to play, I do. I’m not a doctor but I’ve been there before and seen these kinds of things before. I think it was good for Priest to go get complete peace of mind.”
Q: If Priest doesn’t play and Larry (Johnson) has a nice game is it possible he could change your thinking about how you use the two?VERMEIL: “No, no. Priest Holmes is our starting running back but I wouldn’t be a bit surprised if Larry Johnson had a great game if he did (start) because I’ve seen him do it before. But Priest Holmes is the starter and we know that situation and they know it. I have great confidence in Larry and know he can do a great job. He’s played against these guys before.”
these two quotes are encouraging to me (a priest owner who is desparately trying to acquire LJ)

Sounds like Padre is going to start, but it might be a light week. I could easily see 60/40 LJ not the other way around.

Q: Do you expect him to play on Sunday or is it too early to tell.

VERMEIL: “I expect him to play, I do. I’m not a doctor but I’ve been there before and seen these kinds of things before. I think it was good for Priest to go get complete peace of mind.”
Q: If Priest doesn’t play and Larry (Johnson) has a nice game is it possible he could change your thinking about how you use the two?

VERMEIL: “No, no. Priest Holmes is our starting running back but I wouldn’t be a bit surprised if Larry Johnson had a great game if he did (start) because I’ve seen him do it before. But Priest Holmes is the starter and we know that situation and they know it. I have great confidence in Larry and know he can do a great job. He’s played against these guys before.”
these two quotes are encouraging to me (a priest owner who is desparately trying to acquire LJ)
As an LJ owner in a few leagues ... holding him just in case Priest goes down or the Priest owner in my leage gets desperate What would you pay for him??????

I went against conventional FBG wisdom and drafted Holmes while passing on LJ until it was too late.After reading the early word here about him going numb I decided to go after LJ. Fortunately I am stacked at WR and the LJ owner is reeling with Boldin, Holt, and 2 others on week 9 bye. I just got LJ for Deion Branch.

Q: Do you expect him to play on Sunday or is it too early to tell.

VERMEIL: “I expect him to play, I do. I’m not a doctor but I’ve been there before and seen these kinds of things before. I think it was good for Priest to go get complete peace of mind.”
Q: If Priest doesn’t play and Larry (Johnson) has a nice game is it possible he could change your thinking about how you use the two?

VERMEIL: “No, no. Priest Holmes is our starting running back but I wouldn’t be a bit surprised if Larry Johnson had a great game if he did (start) because I’ve seen him do it before. But Priest Holmes is the starter and we know that situation and they know it. I have great confidence in Larry and know he can do a great job. He’s played against these guys before.”
As an LJ owner in a few leagues ... holding him just in case Priest goes down or the Priest owner in my leage gets desperate What would you pay for him??????
the guy who owns LJ just made some big trades. his main roster looks like this at 5-3:vick/bulger

stephen jackson

corey dillon

willie parker

steve smith

burleson

bench:

julius jones

travis taylor

LJ

crumpler

so, i've been offering up a draft pick (a 5th)seeing has how he doesn't really need a RB and i don't have a WR that excites him enough.

Sounds like Padre is going to start, but it might be a light week. I could easily see 60/40 LJ not the other way around.
:goodposting: As a Priest/LJ owner I'm thinking the same thing and starting LJ may be the better move even if more reports from KC say Holmes is starting. I think it's very possible you can expect a light load from Holmes this week and LJ could easily get the bulk of the carries if Vermeil decides to not take any chances.

Sounds like Padre is going to start, but it might be a light week.  I could easily see 60/40 LJ not the other way around.
:goodposting: As a Priest/LJ owner I'm thinking the same thing and starting LJ may be the better move even if more reports from KC say Holmes is starting. I think it's very possible you can expect a light load from Holmes this week and LJ could easily get the bulk of the carries if Vermeil decides to not take any chances.
I'm thinking of starting both and leaving Portis on the bench in my TD only league. :unsure:

Sounds like Padre is going to start, but it might be a light week.  I could easily see 60/40 LJ not the other way around.
I'm thinking of starting both and leaving Portis on the bench in my TD only league. :unsure:
Not a bad idea. I considered that too but I have Westbrook and think he'll have a good game. :rolleyes:

Not a bad idea. I considered that too but I have Westbrook and think he'll have a good game. :rolleyes:
Yeah, my ideal situation would be if Priest would sit and rest this week so I could confidently start LJ and Portis. As previously mentioned, at this point even if Priest does start I'm worried that LJ would get most of the carries.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking about using LJ to get Palmer since he has Priest, but he is also my main competition so I'm not sure if I should do it. Favre & Brees are my QBs. Keeper league, but I have no room to keep LJ and I don't think I'd keep Palmer either.

I'm thinking about using LJ to get Palmer since he has Priest, but he is also my main competition so I'm not sure if I should do it. Favre & Brees are my QBs. Keeper league, but I have no room to keep LJ and I don't think I'd keep Palmer either.
:lmao: SWEET! :hophead:

:lmao:
You're laughing at what? :11:

the fact that his post has absolutely no useful information in it.

TSN Raiders correspondent Steve Corkran of the Contra Costa Times reports Chiefs coach **** Vermeil said that Holmes (concussion) will be upgraded from questionable to probable for Week 9's game vs. Oakland.

the fact that his post has absolutely no useful information in it.
Exactly.Speaking of :11:

:goodposting: :sarcasm:

LINK

Chiefs RB Priest Holmes, the victim of a helmet-to-helmet collision against the Chargers, was listed as questionable. If an MRI comes back clear, Vermeil expects Holmes to be upgraded to probable. ...
It says if. Seems like some guys are jumping to some conclusions.

LINK

Chiefs RB Priest Holmes, the victim of a helmet-to-helmet collision against the Chargers, was listed as questionable. If an MRI comes back clear, Vermeil expects Holmes to be upgraded to probable. ...
It says if. Seems like some guys are jumping to some conclusions.
Priest owners.It sucks for them, though...because it's a very high-anxiety week. They need some nugget that will settle them.

Chiefs | Holmes Misses Practice, Unlikely to Play Week 9Thu, 3 Nov 2005 15:45:16 -0800Adam Teicher, of the Kansas City Star, reports Kansas City Chiefs RB Priest Holmes (concussion) missed practice Thursday, Nov. 3 and is unlikely to play in Week 9.

Chiefs | Holmes Misses Practice, Unlikely to Play Week 9

Thu, 3 Nov 2005 15:45:16 -0800

Adam Teicher, of the Kansas City Star, reports Kansas City Chiefs RB Priest Holmes (concussion) missed practice Thursday, Nov. 3 and is unlikely to play in Week 9.
we knew he was going to miss practice today; vermeil said it himself. i'm not sure where teicher draws the conclusion that he "is unlikely to play in week 9" however.

Adam Teicher, of the Kansas City Star, reports Kansas City Chiefs RB Priest Holmes (concussion) missed practice Thursday, Nov. 3 and is unlikely to play in Week 9.
we knew he was going to miss practice today; vermeil said it himself. i'm not sure where teicher draws the conclusion that he "is unlikely to play in week 9" however.
From what I've read, this coupled with an earlier issue (neck nerve?) has gotten into Priests head a bit. I'm not saying it's a big deal, but I do think it shook Priest up a bit. For that reason I think he'll simply take this week off as a precaution and come back next week when he truly feels comfortable. The last thing anybody wants is Priest going out there this week with doubts in his mind and playing hesitantly. That would be dangerous and could be a big mistake. They have a more than capable backup, this one should be obvious.

Chiefs | Holmes Misses Practice, Unlikely to Play Week 9Thu, 3 Nov 2005 15:45:16 -0800Adam Teicher, of the Kansas City Star, reports Kansas City Chiefs RB Priest Holmes (concussion) missed practice Thursday, Nov. 3 and is unlikely to play in Week 9.
This is from KFFL and, as it states, quotes a reporter from the Kansas City Star. I just went to the Star's site and read both articles published today about the Chiefs. One was by Adam Teicher and the other was a "Team Notes" type of article. It was actually the second article that talked about who practiced today and who didn't and that article made no comment about whether or not Holmes will play.Adam Teicher's article had only this to say on the matter:
Priest Holmes, who left for California for a second opinion on the concussion that knocked him out of last week’s game in San Diego, did not practice Wednesday. He is not scheduled to return until after today’s practice is over. That increases the chances of breaking the harness of two series for Holmes and one for Johnson.
I think this might be a case of a little creative license (or possibly just an error) by whoever writes KFFL's Hotwire summaries.

This is from KFFL and, as it states, quotes a reporter from the Kansas City Star. I just went to the Star's site and read both articles published today about the Chiefs. One was by Adam Teicher and the other was a "Team Notes" type of article. It was actually the second article that talked about who practiced today and who didn't and that article made no comment about whether or not Holmes will play.Adam Teicher's article had only this to say on the matter:

Priest Holmes, who left for California for a second opinion on the concussion that knocked him out of last week’s game in San Diego, did not practice Wednesday. He is not scheduled to return until after today’s practice is over. That increases the chances of breaking the harness of two series for Holmes and one for Johnson.
I think this might be a case of a little creative license (or possibly just an error) by whoever writes KFFL's Hotwire summaries.
I would love to see Priest play this week as an owner but I can't understand why they wouldn't just give him a week to get his head on straight... Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I would love to see Priest play this week as an owner but I can't understand why they wouldn't just give him a week to get his head on straight... Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
It's called must win.The Chiefs are built to win now.

It's called must win.The Chiefs are built to win now.
That's funny, so is my redraft fantasy team.

And news here on the FBG's blogger:November 3, 2005, 18:25 Chiefs :: RBRB Holmes To Be Upgraded To ProbableSteve Corkran, Mercury News - [Full Article]RB Priest Holmes is expected to be upgraded from questionable to probable, Chiefs Coach **** Vermeil said. Holmes sustained a helmet-to-helmet blow against the San Diego Chargers on Sunday and had headaches through Tuesday. He underwent tests to see if he suffered a concussion or any other head-related injury. Results were negative.

And news here on the FBG's blogger:

November 3, 2005, 18:25

Chiefs :: RB

RB Holmes To Be Upgraded To Probable

Steve Corkran, Mercury News - [Full Article]

RB Priest Holmes is expected to be upgraded from questionable to probable, Chiefs Coach **** Vermeil said. Holmes sustained a helmet-to-helmet blow against the San Diego Chargers on Sunday and had headaches through Tuesday. He underwent tests to see if he suffered a concussion or any other head-related injury. Results were negative.
Great news,now lets just hope He is fine for this week.Hope He gets His share of carries.

So, after all this speculation, why didn't we bother to check the Star?

From Teicher's article in question:

Code:
“We’re still waiting on the diagnosis of the images from the MRI, but I definitely know that once that’s done, we’ll have a better idea of how exactly I can proceed with the rest of the week,” Holmes said. “I’m feeling good. It’s one of those things where it’s not an injury where you can physically see and determine. It’s one where you have to go through the different tests, and then once that’s determined, they’re going to do everything to protect me but make sure I can get out there as quickly as possible.

:pickle: :clap: :hifive: Rev up the LJ bandwagon.. Now I got a tough choice.. LJ or Jordan or TJ.. 1 has to sit.. WIll be a fun few days.. :)

Users who are viewing this thread