What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Q&A with Adrian Peterson (1 Viewer)

maccabees

Footballguy
Running Back Adrian Peterson

Peterson: I just want to say I'm happy to be here at camp, just being on the field and being able to interact with my teammates. The fans are showing me so much support and everything, so I'm just happy to be here.

Q: Could you talk about the last few days what the experience was like for you while you were waiting out your contract negotiations to be completed?

A: It was a tough experience, just sitting there waiting, waiting for that call with my contract to be finished. Just being the type of competitor that I am I was ready to come to camp. But there is always a business side to it, so that side took care of itself.

Q: Did your dad encourage you to sign and get in here? With his background in sports was he involved a little bit?

A: Yeah, he was involved a little bit, but we just had to let my agent and them (take care of it). We got confidence in those guys, with Ben Dogra, and we just had to let them take care of their jobs.

Q: Besides the pads any difference today than OTA?

A: A little more contact. I think it was hotter out here, so the heat definitely, but just being in full pads it takes getting used to a little bit.

Q: How does it feel that you have passed all of your physicals and you were able to get out here and start right away without anything holding you back?

A: It feels good. It's like starting over again. It feels good to be out here and just have everything behind me, the collarbone, to have that behind me and over and done with, so it just feels good.

Q: Is there any hesitation at all prior to this week leading up to camp where you were concerned that you might not be allowed to practice?

A: No, no, not at all. I have been keeping positive in my head. It is first mentally knowing that everything with your body is healed and everything is healthy. That's the first part, mentally. It hasn't bothered me at all or slowed me down.

Q: At this point you have been cleared for complete contact? Are there any issues?

A: No issues.

Q: Are you ready for that big first hit? They kind of looked like they hit you hard today.

A: Oh yeah, I am ready for it. It's football. The game of football is a physical sport, so I'm definitely ready for that.

Q: Have they told you anything to do to make up for the time that you lost?

A: I had my playbook back at home. I have been working out, just learning my playbook, calling the guys to ask them what they have installed. I am looking over the same things, just like getting those physical reps but I am getting them mentally. It helps you when you come out on the field to be able to get your rhythm a lot quicker.

Q: Do you all your t-shirts have that pad sewn in?

A: Yeah, yes sir.

Q: Did you have any butterflies out there the first day, or were you just excited?

A: I was excited. I'd be lying if I said I didn't have any butterflies at all. That's all part of it, but once I got out there I got comfortable and got loose and it was all having fun again.

Q: Did your teammates get in your ear at all and mess around with you?

A: That's all part of it, guys joking around and making little comments and jokes about the rookie and all that, but nothing too harsh.

Q: Now that you got some of those physical reps down, what do you think will be the most difficult thing about adjusting to NFL play will be for you?

A: I would say just learning the system. I feel like I am picking it up well. I just have to keep grinding at it, just learning my system, understanding everything in detail. I think that is the most important thing.

Q: Can you talk about your expectations for this year?

A: I'm the type of person, I set my bar high. I am not right now just going to throw out any numbers, but I can sit here and tell you I would like to get rookie of the year and MVP. That is just how I set my bar. Some people might say it is crazy but I give myself a challenge every year. I guess you can take it from that.

Q: Do you see scenarios where you and Chester Taylor will be on the field at the same time?

A: Oh, definitely. We are going to be on the field at the same time. We will be able to throw the defense off a little bit, so you are definitely going to see that.

Q: Will you be leaning on Chester during the training camp?

A: Oh yeah, him and the guys like Tony Richardson that have been in the league for what, 13 or 14 years. He is a great guy and a mentor. It is guys like that that I look up to, that I attach myself to to learn more.

Q: After the first day did you think in your own mind how long it would be until you would get here? Did you have a goal of when you wanted to be in?

A: Yeah, I had a little time to it. I was hoping it would be as soon as possible, to be honest with you, but I knew we had to take it to this path with the negotiating from both sides. I knew that we would finally come to an agreement on both sides. I felt like they wanted me to get to camp as fast as I wanted to be here, so I kind of had an idea that it wouldn't be too long.

Q: You grew up in a very humble background. What was it like to sign that contract with the wealth that you now have?

A: I just thank God because he is truly what got me to this point in my life, to be able to accomplish what I have accomplished so far. Just looking at that and just knowing where I came from, it's easy to stay humble and remember where you came from and you've got to continue to grind and work to reach your goals that you have set for yourself. It feels good, but I love this game, so it's more about money. I love the game so I'm ready to play.

Q: What did Coach Childress say to you after you arrived at camp?

A: We just talked a little bit. One of the first questions that he asked me was, are you in shape and how are you feeling? I was like, I have been working out and feeling pretty good. I am ready to get going.

Q: Your teammates seem very happy to have you here. Do you feel after signing that big contract that you have a responsibility not just to yourself but the players at camp?

A: Yeah, I've got responsibility, and that's to go out there every day at practice and bust my tail. (I have to) go out there and go 100% and help myself get better, and at the same time, help my teammates get better with what I can bring to the table. That's what I plan on doing.

Q: What time did you get in last night? I heard you were supposed to be here around 10:00 p.m.?

A: Yeah, I got in around about 11:00 p.m.

Q: Did you get a chance to talk to Eric Bieniemy (running backs coach) then?

A: Yeah, I talked to Coach EB for a little bit. I was feeling pretty good. I thought I was going to get a little rest, but I got that text from him telling me to meet him at 7:00 in the morning, so I had that early morning.

Q: How does it feel having Chester Taylor around helping him carry some of the load coming in and starting?

A: It feels good having him around. With OTAs and during the mini-camps he has been a mentor also and helped me. He gave me some pointers or whatever and it feels good to have guys like that around.

Q: Having you dad around, did he say anything about how much the pressure is overrated?

A: Yeah, exactly...I don't like to look at it like that, I don't approach it like that at all. I understand what I have to do if I want to reach these goals that I have set for myself, the goals that the team has set, the ultimate goals. I know what I have to do to get to that point and that is working hard, studying that book. Just have myself prepared. I know if I do that and take care of my business then there really is not too much pressure.

Q: You see people with your jersey on. When you were a kid, were there jerseys that you wore?

A: Oh yeah. Emmitt Smith, guys like that. I had Ricky Williams. I'm pretty sure had I had Deion's (Sanders) jersey, #21. It feels good to see little kids with my #28 jersey. It's a dream come true, because I remember when I was walking up to guys like Ricky Williams and getting his autograph and things like that. It is truly a special feeling.

Q: How does it feel to be compared to guys like Ricky Williams, LaDainian Tomlinson, and Steven Jackson?

A: It feels pretty good. It lets me know...what I have done to get to this point, it's been working and it's paid off. Just knowing that, it's going to make me continue to work harder and work harder and work harder. Hopefully I'll be up there with (Walter) Payton and those guys, Emmitt Smith and guys like that in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread