What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Carson Wentz, KC (3 Viewers)

Rest In Absolute Peace to Raiders fantasy players if Wentz ends up there.
Because JimmyG would have catapulted them into the FF stratosphere otherwise? :oldunsure:
Cmon now. Jimmy didn't really HURT 49ers fantasy value as much as he just didn't get them to their absolute ceiling.
Jimmy was painful.
If Jimmy is painful (I disagree), then Wentz is deadly to a team.
At least once or twice a game Jimmy would uncork a dart straight to a DB or LB because he refused to check-down, and/or didn’t see the safety cutting the route.

Every. Single. Game.

OH NO WHAT IS YOU DOING, JIMMY?!

You could set your ****ing watch by it.

I know you’re a Niners fan. I will definitely admit, Jimmy is not a good quarterback. He has tons of faults. But to his credit, he kept you guys in championship contention. It’s universes better than what Wentz is capable of.
The team around him did.

Put Wentz on those Niners teams & he wins as much as JimmyG.
As I’m typing this Wentz just made another bonehead play in a pickup game with kids in his neighborhood.
I think our hate level for the guy is about the same, although, 2017 doesn't happen without him. Was at the game he tore his acl. You probably won't ever see a guy tear an ACL ever again when neither foot is touching the ground.
Yeah, but he can’t keep living on 2017.
No, he can't. But at the same time, us Eagles fans can't hate him "all that much" b/c without him, our first Super Bowl title doesn't happen. But I agree, he should be out of the league. I am actually surprised he would consider taking a back up role. I think he will get it, at some point this year, but this will be his last year in the league also. Then he can kill all the ducks his heart desires and drive around a bobcat tractor the rest of his life.
Ok. You’re in a startup draft with 60 rounds.

what round are you targeting Wentz?

Go!
Is this a start 5QB league?

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports free agent QB Carson Wentz "wants and intends to play this season, and is awaiting the right situation."

According to Schefter, Wentz has been in Tampa Bay "throwing and studying film" with Jon Gruden. The free agent market has felt relatively quiet for Wentz this offseason, although ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reported in May that teams have called the former No. 2 overall pick about jobs. Wentz was most closely linked to the Raiders as a potential backup plan to Jimmy Garoppolo, whose ailing foot could lead to him being cut before the start of the season. Wentz's one-year stint in Washington went about as poorly as expected, as he finished with a 2-5 record while throwing for 1,755 yards, 11 touchdowns, and nine interceptions. His collapse in a Week 17 contest against the Browns that ended the Commanders hopes at a playoff berth was the final straw for head coach Ron Rivera, as the team opted to cut ties with him at the end of the season. Wentz joining a quarterback-needy team at some point in the offseason wouldn't be surprising, but he's unlikely to provide any real relief to an offense.
SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter
Jun 14, 2023, 8:32 PM ET

This must mean that Stafford is back after the bye. No way they would think Wentz is the best option to come and lead this team being on the couch so long.

Idk. I thin
This must mean that Stafford is back after the bye. No way they would think Wentz is the best option to come and lead this team being on the couch so long.
Idk. I think they saw a whole game of Brett Rypien and were like "Well a guy fresh off his couch can't be any worse."
Wentz off the couch would have been better than what they got last week. Wish they'd made this move a week ago.

I do think Stafford is the right QB to have where Wentz can be a clear backup, as Stafford is such a strong leader.

Also wonder if Wentz is hoping a tour with McVay can possibly reset his value a bit like it did with Mayfield last year.

Over reaction take is that Stafford either needs surgery or has decided he is done with playing.
McVay did say Monday when asked about Rypien (QB situation) that they weren't worried about it, and that to me anyone spoke as Stafford is expected back, and Rypien wouldn't be the #2. This move sort of confirms that to me.

I will say, unless he is completely unable to play, Stafford will not just sit out. He's arguably the toughest player in the NFL.

ETA: Rypien was just waived, which does more to suggest Stafford is playing week 11.

Last edited:
Idk. I thin
Idk. I think they saw a whole game of Brett Rypien and were like "Well a guy fresh off his couch can't be any worse."
Wentz off the couch would have been better than what they got last week. Wish they'd made this move a week ago.

I do think Stafford is the right QB to have where Wentz can be a clear backup, as Stafford is such a strong leader.

Also wonder if Wentz is hoping a tour with McVay can possibly reset his value a bit like it did with Mayfield last year.
Thought that too. He's probably been waiting for the right spot to get a "rehab" gig to have a shot at a Tannenhill or Mayfield like 2nd part of his career.

People hate on Wentz, but he's better than AT LEAST 5 QBs who started last week.

ETA: Kinda surprised he's lasted this long, rumored attitude issues by damned. There have been QBs starting this year, who probably weren't better than just snapping the ball to RB's and not even calling passing plays.

People hate on Wentz, but he's better than AT LEAST 5 QBs who started last week.

ETA: Kinda surprised he's lasted this long, rumored attitude issues by damned. There have been QBs starting this year, who probably weren't better than just snapping the ball to RB's and not even calling passing plays.
People have tape on him so it's the devil you know vs the devil you don't. Once someone is desperate enough, then he gets a call. But like we talked about earlier, he probably wasn't jumping at the chance to go some places just to get pummeled.

People = entire NFL other than the LA Rams

I'll never ever understand why teams don't invest more in backup QB, especially good teams.

A situation like last week where so many bad QBs were starting shouldn't be happening.

I'm not saying Wentz is good by any means, but he can move an offense. On a A/F scale of QBs, I'd call him a D+ at this point, which is quality backup in my opinion.

I'll never ever understand why teams don't invest more in backup QB, especially good teams.

A situation like last week where so many bad QBs were starting shouldn't be happening.

I'm not saying Wentz is good by any means, but he can move an offense. On a A/F scale of QBs, I'd call him a D+ at this point, which is quality backup in my opinion.
I don't get it either. As an Eagles fan, obviously it has paid off for us. Not even counting Nick Foles, we have traded quite a few guys for high draft picks over the past couple decades due to the obsession with developing and investing resources into it. Not all Organizations and Coaching staffs care is all I can guess with an attitude of "well if he gets hurt, we're f'd either way" is my only guess.

You can't invest in what doesn't exist. One of the "best" backups in the league is Andy Dalton. You may as well save the money and hope your QB1 stays healthy.

You can't invest in what doesn't exist. One of the "best" backups in the league is Andy Dalton. You may as well save the money and hope your QB1 stays healthy.
Of course you can. Andy Dalton on the Jets would be a much better thing than Zach Wilson.

And if you can't sign a has been starter to be your backup, that's why you draft developmental guys and try to get them to at least adequate.

You aren't winning a whole lot of games usually with a backup, but given the right roster (Eagles 2017, Jets 2023) you certainly can.

Aiden O'Connell seems to be a good example off the top of my head as a guy drafted with not a premium pick that at least could show you something.

On the other end you have teams like the Rams/Cowboys that they really believe in it's their starter or bust. I just disagree with that philosophy.

Dalton is a solid QB, who would absolutely be a starter if he were 30 instead of 36.

I look at someone like the Eagles having Minshew and Mariota the last 2 seasons, and while you wouldn't want either as a starter, both are capable of not tanking your offense for a few weeks if your starter say, sprains an ankle or something.

I read this is the Rams just became an offense I want to stream defenses against if Stafford is out. Wentz is wonderful at the OH MY GOODNESS decisions.

Last edited:

Of course you can. Andy Dalton on the Jets would be a much better thing than Zach Wilson.

And if you can't sign a has been starter to be your backup, that's why you draft developmental guys and try to get them to at least adequate.

You aren't winning a whole lot of games usually with a backup, but given the right roster (Eagles 2017, Jets 2023) you certainly can.

Aiden O'Connell seems to be a good example off the top of my head as a guy drafted with not a premium pick that at least could show you something.

On the other end you have teams like the Rams/Cowboys that they really believe in it's their starter or bust. I just disagree with that philosophy.
Dalton, Bridgewater, Tyrod, etc none of those guys would make a meaningful difference. People are kidding themselves. Also Hackett is a bigger problem than the QB at the moment. Is there a backup offensive coordinator?

Dalton is a solid QB, who would absolutely be a starter if he were 30 instead of 36.

I look at someone like the Eagles having Minshew and Mariota the last 2 seasons, and while you wouldn't want either as a starter, both are capable of not tanking your offense for a few weeks if your starter say, sprains an ankle or something.
Dalton might be the most mediocre NFL QB of all time, not great enough to be a franchise QB but just barely good enough to be paid like one yet never win anything. He is the perfect backup. And the QB2 you hope never has to actually play.

Mariota is the king of play action. One of the best but bad at everything else. Again a guy you don't want in the game unless the plan is to run 80% of the time with a bellcow RB and dominate OL.

The Jets have one of the worst OL, an OC that keeps getting nepotism hired, 1 good WR and the worst fake turf playing surface in the league. The only backup QB that would succeed in this wasteland would be a guy that can run. So maybe a guy like Dobbs.

Last edited:
Idk. I thin
:lmao:

Wentz is only a good add for the Rams if he has to start 1 or fewer games. If he starts more games than that the current version of Wentz shows up, he starts trying to hold the ball for an entire waltz, then starts depositing the football in various unexpected locations on the football field.

He is what convinced Washington to start Taylor Heinicke over him for most of a season. I don't hate Wentz, but he's no good any more except perhaps as an emergency fill-in.

Great move by KC. Wentz is absolutely one of the best backups in the league, as long as he accepts he's a backup. Being on a team with Mahomes makes accepting that pretty easy. Also a smart move by Wentz having McVay and Reid the last 2 seasons. Good way to rehab his value as a potential starter, especially if he plays well if he gets on the field.

I'm honestly a little surprised Ryan Tannehill hasn't gotten more attention as a high-end backup, I wonder if he's still hoping for a starting job, and waiting on Denver etc to see if they draft a guy.

I'm honestly a little surprised Ryan Tannehill hasn't gotten more attention as a high-end backup, I wonder if he's still hoping for a starting job, and waiting on Denver etc to see if they draft a guy.
That was exactly my thought. I’d love to see tannehill get a ring even if it’s as backup. It would almost have to be as a backup at this point.

That was exactly my thought. I’d love to see tannehill get a ring even if it’s as backup. It would almost have to be as a backup at this point.
x3

Of all the backups in the league, seems like Tannehill would be far superior to many of them. Tannehill and his agent must be overvaluing him and possibly waiting for a starter to go down and get paid a la Flacco.

But this is about Wentz - decent signing although they'd be in trouble no matter who is back there to replace Mahomes.

x3

Of all the backups in the league, seems like Tannehill would be far superior to many of them. Tannehill and his agent must be overvaluing him and possibly waiting for a starter to go down and get paid a la Flacco.

But this is about Wentz - decent signing although they'd be in trouble no matter who is back there to replace Mahomes.
👍🏽
I think the jets got it right this year and signed Tyrod early.
I would not want to count on wentz. But Reid obviously is among the best in the business, so :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread