What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Derek Carr, NO (6 Viewers)

Saints QB Derek Carr (concussion) was back at practice on Wednesday.

Saints head coach Dennis Allen said that Derek Carr was a full participant in practice, which suggests that he’s progressing through the concussion protocol and stands a good chance of suiting up for the Saints against the Falcons on Sunday. That will mean Jameis Winston returns to his back-up role. Carr’s return potentially limits the upside of the Saints’ receivers, but will likely bring more consistency to the New Orleans offense.

I don’t pay much attention to the Saints, but looks like Olave had 10+ targets 5 times in first 7 weeks. Only 1 TD during that time, but lots of opportunity.

Why is Carr a bad thing for him?

I don’t pay much attention to the Saints, but looks like Olave had 10+ targets 5 times in first 7 weeks. Only 1 TD during that time, but lots of opportunity.

They just don't seem to have that connection. Like u said the targets are there. Maybe that connection can develop. I would be happier with Winston, but don't think it's the end of the world with Carr.

They just don't seem to have that connection. Like u said the targets are there. Maybe that connection can develop. I would be happier with Winston, but don't think it's the end of the world with Carr.
As long as he can throw passes longer than 5 yards with that shoulder

I just saw a stat comparison and in similar games played Jim Kelly has more rushing yards then Carr. Just thought that was interesting. Remembering Kelly run was really bad. Ha ha

Saints QB Derek Carr (head/ribs) remains in concussion protocol but is not concerned by other ailments.
The quarterback said he “feels good” has he recovered from neck and rib injuries and the concussion would be the only thing that will keep him out in Week 14. With that being said, he remains in concussion protocol and will need to work through the steps before he’s able to take the field on Sunday. We still have a ways to go here, but we can cross off some of the injuries from his lengthy list.

NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reports Derek Carr (concussion/shoulder/ribs) is expected to play in Week 14 against the Panthers.
Carr cleared the NFL’s concussion protocol on Friday, though he is dealing with multiple other injuries as well. Per Rapoport, Carr is dealing with a non-displaced rib cartilage fracture and an AC joint sprain. He will take a pain-killing injection before the game and play through the injuries. Desperate to make the playoffs in their first season with Carr at the helm, the Saints are throwing their beleaguered quarterback in the fire despite his various ailments. With Taysom Hill out for this game, the Saints will not have the option to sub Carr off the field for occasional breathers unless they want to see Jameis Wiston under center. Expect an absurdly run-heavy approach from the Saints as they attempt to escape their Week 14 matchup versus Carolina with a low-scoring win.

NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reports Derek Carr (concussion/shoulder/ribs) is expected to play in Week 14 against the Panthers.
Carr cleared the NFL’s concussion protocol on Friday, though he is dealing with multiple other injuries as well. Per Rapoport, Carr is dealing with a non-displaced rib cartilage fracture and an AC joint sprain. He will take a pain-killing injection before the game and play through the injuries. Desperate to make the playoffs in their first season with Carr at the helm, the Saints are throwing their beleaguered quarterback in the fire despite his various ailments. With Taysom Hill out for this game, the Saints will not have the option to sub Carr off the field for occasional breathers unless they want to see Jameis Wiston under center. Expect an absurdly run-heavy approach from the Saints as they attempt to escape their Week 14 matchup versus Carolina with a low-scoring win.
Is this still the same AC joint sprain he had earlier this year in his throwing shoulder? This is the first I'm reading this since early October. Seems like both the rib and shoulder were re-aggravated last week.

Remember the last time Carr's shoulder was jacked up? Unless you're in PPR and own Kamara, I'm not sure anyone else can be started.
It's crazy when you think about it. Huge game for Saints chances at playoffs. If people on the Internet are aware of how poorly Carr has played with this injury earlier why can't Saints just accept it?

I'm not getting why he's trotted out there,

Derek Carr told reporters after the team’s Week 14 win over the Panthers that he’s suffered three rib fractures this season.
According to Carr, his latest case of fractured ribs came in Week 12’s loss to the Lions. His play has resembled that of a man playing through a myriad of injuries — because he is. The Saints’ signal caller threw for 126 yards, two touchdowns, and one interception in Sunday’s win over the lowly Panthers, averaging an embarrassing 4.8 yards per attempt in the process. Credit to him for battling through injuries, but fantasy managers can’t help but treat him as a risky play. His on-field performance, coupled with any injury knocking him from the game at a moment’s notice, are legitimate causes for concern heading into the fantasy playoffs. He’ll be on the fantasy radar as a QB2 but other options should be considered where available.

I'm not getting why he's trotted out there,

Derek Carr told reporters after the team’s Week 14 win over the Panthers that he’s suffered three rib fractures this season.
According to Carr, his latest case of fractured ribs came in Week 12’s loss to the Lions. His play has resembled that of a man playing through a myriad of injuries — because he is. The Saints’ signal caller threw for 126 yards, two touchdowns, and one interception in Sunday’s win over the lowly Panthers, averaging an embarrassing 4.8 yards per attempt in the process. Credit to him for battling through injuries, but fantasy managers can’t help but treat him as a risky play. His on-field performance, coupled with any injury knocking him from the game at a moment’s notice, are legitimate causes for concern heading into the fantasy playoffs. He’ll be on the fantasy radar as a QB2 but other options should be considered where available.
he's prob insisting and coaches don't have the balls to say no i guess

His on-field performance, coupled with any injury knocking him from the game at a moment’s notice, are legitimate causes for concern heading into the fantasy playoffs
Will no one rid me of this meddlesome priest!

he's prob insisting and coaches don't have the balls to say no i guess
Generally, this is it but it's a little more complicated.

1) Dennis Allen lost confidence in Jameis Winston early in the 2022 season (and maybe was never sold on Winston, who was Payton's free agent catch). When Winston's injuries put him on the shelf, Allen used that as a reason to relegate Winston to the second string permanently -- Winston did not return over the second half of the 2022 season when he was healthy enough to do so. Players remember that.

2) Should Carr get sidelined and Winston have to start multiple games, any success Winston has this season makes Allen look (more) like a chump for keeping Winston on the bench last season. Relenting to bench Carr and start Winston is a kick in the nads to Allen's ego.

3) And then, right, as you point out ... Carr insists he's good to go (not wanting to risk his starting job to injury) and that gives the coaches the mental buck-passing "out" they need ("Hey, he said he was good to go ..." ).

I'm deciding between Flacco and Carr and as of now, I'm playing Carr. I looked at the Jets defense against QB's and 225/1 seems to be the average. Only a few have thrown for 2 or 2+ and no one over 300 yards.

Carr has be inconsistent all year long but has been firing well the last couple of weeks.

I'm deciding between Flacco and Carr and as of now, I'm playing Carr. I looked at the Jets defense against QB's and 225/1 seems to be the average. Only a few have thrown for 2 or 2+ and no one over 300 yards.

Carr has be inconsistent all year long but has been firing well the last couple of weeks.
I’m in the exact same scenario, SF. Although Rudolph and Mullens are possibilities. heavily leaning Carr. But I’m playing against Cooper so that gives me some concern. He also has Lamar, CMC, Jefferson… I’m supposedly favored but really not confident.

Carr led me to a 2nd place finish in the subscriber contest. My other QBs were injured or benched, Sam Howell, Carr came off concussion protocol in week 14 just in time to get me 19 points to make finals by 1 point. Carr had solid to good weeks in week 14-17 as my only QB to help my team finish second. I am now a fan and admire his grit.

Next Gen Stats
Derek Carr & Rashid Shaheed (39-yd TD) 📽️

🔹 Completion Probability: 27.3%

Carr is currently 5/5 for 117 yards & 3 TDs on pass attempts over 15 air yards so far today. Carr is the 5th QB since 2020 to throw three TDs with a sub-30% completion probability.

#ATLvsNO | #Saints

Carr completed all 7 of his passes 10+ yards downfield for 152 yards and 4 touchdowns in the Saints Week 18 victory over the Falcons.

All four of Carr's touchdowns came more than 2.5 seconds after the snap.

#ATLvsNO | #Saints

Where has this guy been? If he can continue what he's done the last month next year, the Saints might not need a QB like I thought they did.

Where has this guy been? If he can continue what he's done the last month next year, the Saints might not need a QB like I thought they did.

He's never there when the pressure is on. Great for junk stats on occasion but not the consistent type of QB you want to lead a franchise. You'll be stuck in NFL purgatory with a mediocre record.

The #Saints are restructuring QB Derek Carr’s contract for salary cap purposes, a move expected to save the club around $23M in cap relief, per sources. Carr is due $30M in base salary, so converting a portion of that into a signing bonus can provide immediate savings

https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1761043864297640098
The Saints likely converted the maximum ($28.79 million) of Carr’s $30 million salary to a bonus which would reduce his salary cap number by $23.032 million, going from $35.7 million down to $12.67 million. The move will increase Carr’s future salary cap numbers by about $5.76 million per season. Carr’s 2025 salary cap figure is now $51.46 million, 5th highest in the NFL.

His dead money in 2025 now sits at $40.132 million an increase of $23 million from where it originally was. While this certainly does not guarantee him a roster spot in 2025 it will give him a much better chance of maintaining his status as starting QB even if he plays at an average or slightly below average level in 2024.

Since the end of the year the Saints have created a total of $37.513 million in 2024 cap room. In addition to the $23 million from Carr, they have saved $7.18 million with a restructure of Erik McCoy’s contract and deferred $7.3 million to 2025 with a change in effective void date of Jameis Winston’s contract. The Saints are still an estimated $53 million over the salary cap. They rank 31st in estimated cap room ahead of only the Buffalo Bills at a projected $55 million over.

Users who are viewing this thread