What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jalen Hurts, PHI (3 Viewers)

I mean . . . am I really considering Browning and Purdy over him next week? Am I? Are we?

Or is that the definition of "getting cute" and just asking to take a brutal, head-slapping, drywall-endangering L, with regret that lasts the entire off-season?

wow hes way better than wentz
Yup big difference between Hurts and Wentz is between the ears. Hurts has “it” and Wentz didn’t. Sure the Eagles have lost 3 in a row (to 2 good teams and one where they had to travel across the country). He’s done a lot of winning before that. Hurts has to take a lot of blame for the past 3 weeks but coaching and the defense is just as much to blame.

I mean . . . am I really considering Browning and Purdy over him next week? Am I? Are we?

Or is that the definition of "getting cute" and just asking to take a brutal, head-slapping, drywall-endangering L, with regret that lasts the entire off-season?
Browning? You're asking for it. Purdy, against BAL? Definitely a pass.

Don't overthink this. He's the #2 QB right now fantasy wise. You'll regret it all offseason. He got you there. Go down with the ship, and let what happens, happen.

He gets every carry from the 3 yard line in. Don’t over think it from a fantasy perspective.

2 rushing TDs in an otherwise **** game isn't good enough for you?

Wentz 2.0. Paid him too early, now he's getting exposed.
Exposed as a turnover machine? The DB's (Julian Love) 1st INT probably gets called for PI if the WR fights for the ball. Reviewing the play at the url below, clearly, the WR has first eyes on the ball. But he then allows Love to plant a hand into his chest, for a bit, even a handful of jersey which completely alters the WR's path to the ball. Right at that critical moment when the DB is playing the WR and NOT the ball, if the WR takes a more aggressive approach to the ball he very likely draws the penalty. With the ball placed at the 2, maybe 3yd line everybody knows what happens next & the subsequent desperation INT isn't even thrown....

Exposed as in, he keeps trying the hero ball instead of patiently reading the defense, and making the right read.

He had 26 points in my league last night and finished as QB3 on the week. I have to seriously ask what you are thinking.

"Everyone has their role in it. It starts with me," he said. "We've got to pick ourselves out of this. ... We have to make an internal change in how we attack things. How we come to work every day. It starts with the little things, how committed we are to doing what we're doing. And it all starts with me, the quarterback. It's a challenge I'm embracing. As challenging as these times are, I still see light at the end of the tunnel. Just a matter of believing."

"It's a matter of being on the same page," Hurts said after the game. "It takes everyone being all in, in all aspects. And it starts with me. There's multiple opportunities out there. In the end, there's just not another way you'd have it. The trust that we have in one another, how much we communicate as players. ... We just have to be better; I have to be better. Minimize the mistakes, the penalties, the mental errors. Play team football and it starts with me leading that. We've lost games because I can be better. That will change everything, and I accept that."

​​​

Yup big difference between Hurts and Wentz is between the ears. Hurts has “it” and Wentz didn’t. Sure the Eagles have lost 3 in a row (to 2 good teams and one where they had to travel across the country). He’s done a lot of winning before that. Hurts has to take a lot of blame for the past 3 weeks but coaching and the defense is just as much to blame.

He can’t move left and throw and he can’t/won’t run forever. Once his legs are done so is he. He’s also likely to lose one of these stud receivers eventually and a HOF center.

He had 26 points in my league last night and finished as QB3 on the week. I have to seriously ask what you are thinking.
Probably not thinking clearly, but in my 2 leagues where I have him, he came in behind Browning and Purdy in scoring. One league has stupid crazy bonuses , so that might be skewing my thinking some, but in the league where I have Purdy, it's pretty vanilla.

Anyway, overall, this offense looks lost compared to what it was. I think they will either bounce back next week, or continue to swirl down the bowl. It just doesn't feel secure, but you're probably right and this is probably stupid to even speculate about.

"Everyone has their role in it. It starts with me," he said. "We've got to pick ourselves out of this. ... We have to make an internal change in how we attack things. How we come to work every day. It starts with the little things, how committed we are to doing what we're doing. And it all starts with me, the quarterback. It's a challenge I'm embracing. As challenging as these times are, I still see light at the end of the tunnel. Just a matter of believing."​

"It's a matter of being on the same page," Hurts said after the game. "It takes everyone being all in, in all aspects. And it starts with me. There's multiple opportunities out there. In the end, there's just not another way you'd have it. The trust that we have in one another, how much we communicate as players. ... We just have to be better; I have to be better. Minimize the mistakes, the penalties, the mental errors. Play team football and it starts with me leading that. We've lost games because I can be better. That will change everything, and I accept that."​

Why did you cut out the part where he asked for a dictionary?

And of course he’s going to point the finger at himself after he was pressed on it.

You can write it loud all you want. You’re just showing your insecurity. I’ve been steadfast in my critique of the player since day one. I didn’t just start saying these things.

"Everyone has their role in it. It starts with me," he said. "We've got to pick ourselves out of this. ... We have to make an internal change in how we attack things. How we come to work every day. It starts with the little things, how committed we are to doing what we're doing. And it all starts with me, the quarterback. It's a challenge I'm embracing. As challenging as these times are, I still see light at the end of the tunnel. Just a matter of believing."​

"It's a matter of being on the same page," Hurts said after the game. "It takes everyone being all in, in all aspects. And it starts with me. There's multiple opportunities out there. In the end, there's just not another way you'd have it. The trust that we have in one another, how much we communicate as players. ... We just have to be better; I have to be better. Minimize the mistakes, the penalties, the mental errors. Play team football and it starts with me leading that. We've lost games because I can be better. That will change everything, and I accept that."​

Why did you cut out the part where he asked for a dictionary?

And of course he’s going to point the finger at himself after he was pressed on it.

You can write it loud all you want. You’re just showing your insecurity. I’ve been steadfast in my critique of the player since day one. I didn’t just start saying these things.
It just clipped that way from the article and wasn't directed at you. Posted it for discussion.

He can’t move left and throw and he can’t/won’t run forever. Once his legs are done so is he. He’s also likely to lose one of these stud receivers eventually and a HOF center.

you might be right. i thought he played ok last night minus those two dumb deep passes that were picked. have seen way more good than bad over these last 3 seasons. hes 25 years old. im not giving up on him yet.

Probably not thinking clearly, but in my 2 leagues where I have him, he came in behind Browning and Purdy in scoring. One league has stupid crazy bonuses , so that might be skewing my thinking some, but in the league where I have Purdy, it's pretty vanilla.

Anyway, overall, this offense looks lost compared to what it was. I think they will either bounce back next week, or continue to swirl down the bowl. It just doesn't feel secure, but you're probably right and this is probably stupid to even speculate about.
In my league with 1/25 and 4 pt TDs and no INTs, Hurts has been above 20 points every week except 2. Purdy has 5 weeks below 20 points. I really like Hurts floor and expect a bounce back statement week.

By the way, congrats on securing Purdy and Browning as reserves. Add in picking Hurts over Mahomes an you had the pulse of the NFL QBs nailed.

He is an elite fantasy QB, which is what people in here care about. Not so much elite in IRL football. Whether or not the Eagles continue to always be at the the opposing team's one yard line is TBD. But until that stops happening, he is a very valuable fantasy QB.

He can’t move left and throw and he can’t/won’t run forever. Once his legs are done so is he. He’s also likely to lose one of these stud receivers eventually and a HOF center. ... And of course he’s going to point the finger at himself after he was pressed on it.
Having to pull the ball down & move laterally to the left requires time to reset & throw for every right-handed QB. Peyton Manning wasn't any better. Your other point, if I understand correctly, that he isn't much of a leader and/or he blamed everybody but himself isn't what I read. He said they weren't on the same page & after reviewing both INTs I believe both were on the WRs.

Exposed as in, he keeps trying the hero ball instead of patiently reading the defense, and making the right read.
I think you're referring to the play where Hurts opts to throw to Brown when Smith is wide open on the underneath crosser. Common in a QB's progression is to run his 2nd read to the same side of the field & underneath his primary. The idea is that when that crosser comes into the QB's field of view, that tells him it's time to come off his initial read. Helps with consistency, timing & decision-making. Very certain he learned that in... high school. Like all of them at this level, that's a play he can make with his eyes closed.

But you're right, that one's on him achieving less by trying to do more. That said, after reviewing the 2nd INT, which is sourced
below, I believe Hurts makes an excellent throw. There were only 13sec remaining in the game & they needed a chunk play. Three WRs & the TE released into the pattern. The slot WR runs his route into the middle of the field & is surrounded by 3 defenders. The TE chips to help slow a pass rusher & comes out of there several steps late, to run a 5yd out route, which isn't enough. Neither of them were options.

In the x-slot at the top of the screen I believe is DeVonta Smith. On the pre-snap we see the DB across from him in off coverage. On the post-snap he's into his back pedal. Which is eyes on the QB expecting the route to break, making it easier for him to close on. Sure enough, Smith runs about a 20yd out route. It appears to me that's Hurts' initial read. In hindsight, perhaps Smith is who he should've gone to?

What's clear is that Hurts didn't like it enough. It may be worth considering that Smith was a boundary throw to one side & Hurts' only other option was Brown, who was also running a sideline route. But on the opposite side of the field! Most QBs, to put that 20yd out on a rope requires that his mechanics are there, he's squared up, his feet & follow through all committed. If he sticks with that any longer than he did, only to then determine that it isn't there, he needs a check-down but he doesn't have one. Besides that, Brown would've been further downfield & he would've had to swing around & reset.

IMO, the throw to Brown was a very well placed ball. I initially assumed that Hurts made a poor decision & a poor throw, but neither of those things are true. It's in the field of play & not overthrown. He's giving his big, z-slot honker a chance to just go up & get it! My belief is that they saw on tape when Seattle hi-lows in the back like that & when this DB (#22) gets himself into a trail position he has a tendency to play the WR & NOT the ball. Which was the case on this play.

This ball is under-thrown a bit & Brown does break stride, but not enough. You see him turned & facing the ball but he's going to the ground & reaching back for it. That's not competing for the football. You see him afterwards looking around for a flag but there isn't one. This pass is not unlike a back-shoulder throw, 'cept there's more air under it. Plenty of time for Brown to make the necessary adjustment. Bottom line, if Jalen Hurts is your QB, make no mistake, on those two picks, he makes the right read & the right throw!

I wish I had him this week, going up against the NY Schmuck-la-TONs. Philly is going to mash them like a potato, turn your head because it's going to be bad.

Users who are viewing this thread