What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Josh Allen, BUF (3 Viewers)

Should be interesting to see if adding a proven WR like Stefon Diggs improves his stats across the board.

His primary targets the last two years are primarily out of the NFL and when targeting those failed WRs his completion percent was very bad, low TDs, and yards per attempt.

Interesting stats to compare and how Diggs might help boost his completion percentage.

----------------------------------

Evan Silva@evansilva

In his underrated career, #Bills QB Josh Allen when targeting Kelvin Benjamin (out of NFL), Zay Jones (#Raiders) & Andre Holmes (out of NFL):

57/126 (45%) for 732 yards (5.8 YPA), 6 TDs

When targeting everyone else: 383/655 (59%) for 4,431 yards (6.8) & 24 TDs

+ Stefon Diggs
The Bills had 26 dropped passes last year, good for 2nd most in the league.

The Bills just released the first of their video Insider series and I noticed that multiple times during the draft process Beane and McDermott made it clear that the #1 important thing for a receiver is to catch the ball. That seems like a really strong acknowledgement of the problem last year and maybe a bit of a shot across Beasley’s bow. I have to imagine that Dawson Knox may be on a bit of thin ice too if his drops continue into his second year (he had TEN last year!) though they didn’t bring in anyone new at the TE position.

I don’t know whether or not his on-field abilities ever translate into being a franchise quarterback, but he’s clearly a great leader and is elite at all the “intangibles”. By all reports he’s a relentless worker, he’s constantly trying to improve both his physical skills and playbook/diagnostic skills, organizes offseason workouts with teammates, is constantly reaching out to guys to make connections, and is a guy whose passion and desire to win have absolutely 100% lead to his team rallying around him and playing harder because of him. He’s the guy in the sidelines encouraging teammates and cheering for the defense. He’s the guy in the huddle picking a teammate up after a bad play. 

There are things he absolutely has to be better at on the field to truly be successful, but the dude is absolutely an elite leader. I hope that he can get those on field things to click all the way because he’s doing everything else right and is fun to watch and root for. If there’s a QB I’d compare him to it’s Brett Favre. Hard worker, fun loving guy that teammates love and respect, big positive energy guy, big arm, plays too reckless at times but also makes plays that nobody else can/would make because of it, significant accuracy issues early on, etc. A guy that just makes football fun.

PFF@PFF

Most conversions last year on 3rd down with 10+ yards to gain

1. Josh Allen - 17

2. Tom Brady - 16

3. Russell Wilson/ Ryan Fitzpatrick - 15

I don’t know whether or not his on-field abilities ever translate into being a franchise quarterback, but he’s clearly a great leader and is elite at all the “intangibles”. By all reports he’s a relentless worker, he’s constantly trying to improve both his physical skills and playbook/diagnostic skills, organizes offseason workouts with teammates, is constantly reaching out to guys to make connections, and is a guy whose passion and desire to win have absolutely 100% lead to his team rallying around him and playing harder because of him. He’s the guy in the sidelines encouraging teammates and cheering for the defense. He’s the guy in the huddle picking a teammate up after a bad play. 

There are things he absolutely has to be better at on the field to truly be successful, but the dude is absolutely an elite leader. I hope that he can get those on field things to click all the way because he’s doing everything else right and is fun to watch and root for. If there’s a QB I’d compare him to it’s Brett Favre. Hard worker, fun loving guy that teammates love and respect, big positive energy guy, big arm, plays too reckless at times but also makes plays that nobody else can/would make because of it, significant accuracy issues early on, etc. A guy that just makes football fun.
I agree with pretty much of all of this.  I don't know if he'll ever "get there", but the Bills have clearly swung for the fences and he's got all of the intangibles to get the team to the next level.  I was very, very skeptical when the Bills drafted him, and I'm still skeptical of whether he will ever be an elite NFL QB, but his growth and maturity from day 1 until today, both on and off the field, have blown me away.  

Michael Giardi @MikeGiardi

I think we are seeing Josh Allen mature right before our very eyes as a leader of the #Bills. Work ethic. Introspection. Acknowledging his weakness and working to correct. Can tell that McDermott, Brian Daboll and Matt Barkley have been excellent influences on the 3rd year pro.
https://twitter.com/mikegiardi/status/1293942233809420289?s=21

Michael Giardi @MikeGiardi

Josh Allen and the #Bills are exactly one month away from the season opener, "We're not where we want to be by any terms. We're still diving into the playbook seeing what works, what doesn't work, seeing what guys can do." Mentions the opp to line up vs Bills D is huge for the O.
https://twitter.com/mikegiardi/status/1293958033094193152?s=21

The Athletic's Joe Buscaglia believes Bills coach Sean McDermott "could outlive" Josh Allen in Buffalo if the third-year pro "doesn’t show marked improvement in the next two seasons."

Buscaglia is just stating the obvious, but it is worth stating after McDermott received a four-year extension earlier this week. McDermott has made a recent habit of talking about how important the quarterback position is, a not-so-subtle hint that Allen needs to improve. Allen made modest progress last season but remained a sub-60 percent passer, failing to hit enough big plays to compensate for that lack of accuracy and efficiency. Allen's most recent start was an abject meltdown in the Bills' Wild Card loss. Allen is well above average as a rusher for a quarterback, but it is his arm that will make-or-break his critical 2020. Allen is a gamble at his QB6-7 ADP. It eventually catches up to quarterbacks who are better in fantasy than real life. 

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Aug 13, 2020, 10:22 PM ET

Bills WR Cole Beasley has observed Josh Allen is "starting to throw guys open a little bit" this summer. 

Stop the presses. “He’s playing more confident than ever," Beasley gushed. "He’s making throws that he wouldn’t have even tried to attempt last year." The Athletic's Joe Buscaglia has made the same observation, noting Allen might finally be progressing from a "see it and throw it" style of football. You, of course, don't need Rotoworld to tell you it's not exactly a great sign when a third-year first-rounder is just now beginning to add anticipation throws to his repertoire. Few players are more on the spot than Allen this season. Being drafted in the QB6-8 range in fantasy, Allen drafters are still counting on the "better in fantasy than real life" principle. 

Aug 18, 2020, 5:32 PM ET

PREVIOUSNEXT

You, of course, don't need Rotoworld to tell you it's not exactly a great sign when a third-year first-rounder is just now beginning to add anticipation throws to his repertoire. 
Rotoworld really needs to find guys with better takes. It’d be absolutely fair to point out that it could be a very positive development for Allen but that throwing with anticipation in a couple of practices is nowhere near the same as throwing with anticipation under pressure in an actual game.

But taking something that could actually be a legitimate positive and treating it like it’s a negative like they do in the sentence quoted above is silliness.

They’re absolutely right though that this is put up or shut up time for Allen. They have a legitimate claim to being the best team in the league if you take QB out of the equation. If they don’t have a lot of success, it’s almost certainly because Allen just isn’t good enough. The pieces are there, he just needs to be better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld really needs to find guys with better takes. It’d be absolutely fair to point out that it could be a very positive development for Allen but that throwing with anticipation in a couple of practices is nowhere near the same as throwing with anticipation under pressure in an actual game.

But taking something that could actually be a legitimate positive and treating it like it’s a negative like they do in the sentence quoted above is silliness.

They’re absolutely right though that this is put up or shut up time for Allen. They have a legitimate claim to being the best team in the league if you take QB out of the equation. If they don’t have a lot of success, it’s almost certainly because Allen just isn’t good enough. The pieces are there, he just needs to be better.
always appreciate your take on the Bills.

Bills QB Josh Allen struggled during Tuesday's practice, often staring down his receivers and having multiple passes broken up or intercepted. 

Allen wasn't "on the same page" with his wideouts, holding "onto the ball in the pocket, hoping for the expected routes to come open,"  according to The Athletic. Allen twice felt pressure and threw passes over the middle that were "nowhere close" to John Brown. It's a very different account than Cole Beasley saying this week that Allen was "throwing guys open." Allen's inaccuracy and erratic play don't really matter for fantasy purposes as long as he continues to flee to the pocket and pile up rushing yards and touchdowns. 

Aug 19, 2020, 11:30 AM ET

Definitely sounds like a bad practice for Allen which is exactly what Bills fans don’t want to hear. But the same article does have this to say:

”It wasn’t all bad for Allen on Tuesday. He zinged a few passes to his intended targets and, in a more encouraging sign, he completed some throws with anticipation. In his first two NFL seasons, Allen has been more of a “see it and throw it” quarterback. On Tuesday, his best example of throwing with anticipation was on a timed route to the sideline that Allen delivered before Diggs was fully into his break. By the time Diggs looked for the ball, it was right in his hands. It’s something Allen’s teammates have been noticing, as well.”

I’d still count the inconsistency as a definitely bad thing, but doesn’t sound like the day was all bad.

Bills QB Josh Allen missed practice Sunday after he received a false-positive COVID-19 test. 

Allen was among the many NFL players, staff, and coaches who got false-positives this weekend. Allen is expected back at Bills practice if he tests negative for the virus for a second time. 

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Aug 23, 2020, 3:03 PM ET

Allen reportedly had a really good practice today. What I liked most, if it’s not just talk, is that he said after practice that a big change he’s trying to make this year is just get the ball into the hands of his playmakers because those guys are a lot faster than he is.

Speaking earlier this week, Josh Allen said he hopes to run less often this season. 

“My mindset this year is a little different,” Allen said. “I’m going to try to get the ball into my playmakers’ hands and let them make some plays, because they’re a lot quicker and shiftier than I am. But when my number is called, I’ll step up to the plate for sure.” Allen isn't suddenly going to abandon one of his signature skills, but he is correct that he has to start creating more big plays in the passing game. 500 remains a reasonable over/under for his rushing yardage. 

Aug 25, 2020, 5:26 PM ET

Also read this yesterday, which was interesting, to say the least.

The first team period started off with a heavy dose of Stefon Diggs action. Diggs was targeted three times in a row and didn't drop a pass from Josh Allen. The pair had a crisp connection with each other today. Getting the timing and connection with each other to become muscle memory has been at the top of their list. Allen explained yesterday the timing is on the right track and will improve once they begin watching film together. In a later team period Diggs caught four straight passes from Allen. Diggs finished off the day with a nice catch in traffic with Tre'Davious White and Matt Milano in coverage. I can't wait to watch these two in Week 1.
https://www.buffalobills.com/news/top-3-things-to-know-from-day-8-at-bills-training-camp

The Bills just put Dimarco Murray on season ending IR after changing their only other FB to a TE designation. 

If anyone still thinks this is going to be a grind it out run based team, I think they’re in for a wild surprise. I think the Bills really are going to go to a spread offense and emphasize the passing game a lot more. Buckle up all you who invested in the Buffalo passing game, this may be a fun ride.

The Bills just put Dimarco Murray on season ending IR after changing their only other FB to a TE designation. 

If anyone still thinks this is going to be a grind it out run based team, I think they’re in for a wild surprise. I think the Bills really are going to go to a spread offense and emphasize the passing game a lot more. Buckle up all you who invested in the Buffalo passing game, this may be a fun ride.
The Bills have an embarrassment of riches at WR, two very promising RBs, a TE who could be a stud if he could catch the football consistently, and a solid if unspectacular line.  And also they're going into year 3 or 4 with the same offensive coordinator, which is just about unprecedented for this team.  There's absolutely no reason why the offense shouldn't perform extremely well if Allen is merely competent.  No excuses.

Nine 2020 fantasy football takes I believe with the utmost conviction

Excerpt:

4) Josh Allen will be in the MVP conversation 

The Ravens boosted Lamar Jackson to an MVP 2019 campaign by a few simple steps. The team designed an offense to feature his strengths by building off his already existing ability as a rusher. Baltimore’s front office also gave his pass-catcher corps a shot in the arm, specifically by drafting playmaker Hollywood Brown in Round 1. The team did all this while already fielding a top-flight defense. It all vaulted the Ravens to an NFL-best 14-2 record. 

Josh Allen has just about all of those ingredients. Already one of the best rushing quarterbacks in the NFL, the Bills have done a ton to improve the receiver corps around Allen after he threw to Zay Jones and Kelvin Benjamin as a rookie. Stefon Diggs gives the Bills one of the best separation receiver corps in the NFL. I think Lamar Jackson is a much better football player than Josh Allen but the latter has the type of ecosystem on a good team to jump a tier in Year 3. 

I’m not saying he will win the award. I’m not sure I’ll ever comfortably project anyone but Patrick Mahomes to be that player as long as the defending champ plays pro football.

However, if you’re looking for a dark horse — exactly what Jackson was last year — Allen has the setup of such a player.

Josh Allen completed 33-of-46 passes for 312 yards and two touchdowns in the Bills' 27-17, Week 1 win over the Jets, adding 14 carries for 57 yards, one touchdown and two lost fumbles

Today was the full Allen experience, as he also missed a completely wide-open 12-yard touchdown to John Brown and undershot Cole Beasley on what could have been a long score. The duo had to settle for a long gain. To cap things off, Allen also took a pair of third down sacks. Allen looked like a legitimate playmaker as a passer — as opposed to someone who simply has the tools to make plays — but both his fumbles as a runner were inexcusable, while his Brown overthrow is the kind of meat he's left on the bone far too often as a pro. Today was encouraging on the whole, but there is still a ways to go for Allen's real life play to match his fantasy output. As for the latter, the Dolphins represent another highly-exploitable Week 2 matchup. 

- Rotoworld

this guy takes steps every offseason and it's fun to watch him develop.

if he can get that completion % up to the mid 60s, he could really take the bills places.

this guy takes steps every offseason and it's fun to watch him develop.

if he can get that completion % up to the mid 60s, he could really take the bills places.
He was at 72% yesterday and looked fairly good. There were a couple of just awful balls (both would have been TDs if good throws) where he was throwing on the run after escaping pressure and didn’t reset his feet. There were a few more that weren’t great passes but his guys made nice adjustments on. And there was a flat out drop by Beasley. Overall his receivers helped more than they hurt him, but he looked pretty good yesterday.

The fumbles were pretty disappointing and I’m hoping it was just rust, but he had quite a few last season iirc.

The fumbles were pretty disappointing and I’m hoping it was just rust, but he had quite a few last season iirc.
Agreed. At least those can be fixable - not sure if his inaccuracy will ever go away though. He's a big dude, evades a lot of would-be sacks, and makes plays with his legs - he may be maddening to own, but with better options around him now, he could be a very valuable fantasy producer.

He’s way too careless with the ball. It’s definitely a pattern at this point. He said multiple times, including times over this offseason, that it was not excusable and he would do a better job and yet here we are. One fumble was bad enough. The 2nd one was particularly egregious after already committing a bad fumble that likely cost them points. 

The AFC is insane with exciting young QBs. Allen is not quite on the same timeline as Mahomes, Jackson or Watson because he was A KNOWN PROJECT when he was drafted. 

But he is with them now. 

Josh Allen completed 24-of-35 passes for 417 yards and four touchdowns, scrambling four times for 18 yards in Buffalo's 31-28 Week 2 win over the Dolphins.

Allen was flawless against Miami, evading a pile of pass rushers on multiple occasions en route to letting loose for completions of 47, 46, 46, 38 and 26 yards. With 729 passing yards through two games (and a career-high 417 yards on Sunday), Allen joins Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, and Patrick Mahomes as the only quarterbacks to compile 700 yards, six touchdowns, and 0 picks through the first two weeks of a season. He was also clutch when it counted, throwing John Brown (4/82/1) open for a 46-yard strike to push the Bills ahead 31-20 with 3:09 remaining in the final quarter. Fantasy players would be wild to even consider benching him for Buffalo's uptempo matchup against the Rams in Week 3.

Users who are viewing this thread