What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Josh Allen, BUF (5 Viewers)

JOSH ALLEN QB, BUFFALO BILLS

Adjusting for down, distance, and game situation, the Bills are the second most pass happy team in the league, behind only Kansas City. 

Josh Allen has thrown more than 40 passes six times this season, including 43 attempts in Week 14's win over Pittsburgh. Along with his rushing prowess, the pass volume gives Allen one of fantasy football's highest weekly floors and ceilings. Nearly 73 percent of the team's offensive yardage has come via the pass, the seventh highest rate in the league. Buffalo's pass-heavy ways have led to Stefon Diggs leading the league in receptions through 14 weeks and Cole Beasley becoming a reliable fantasy option when healthy. Allen and the Bills pass catchers have a solid Week 15 matchup against Denver. 

RELATED: 

Stefon Diggs

, Cole Beasley

SOURCE: Bills Stats, Graphics, and Memes on Twitter 

Dec 14, 2020, 11:23 AM ET

Josh Allen completed 28-of-40 passes for 359 yards and two touchdowns and rushed three times for 33 yards and two touchdowns in Buffalo's Week 15 win over the Broncos. 

Allen had his way with an injured Broncos secondary, leading Buffalo to an easy win. Both of Allen's passing touchdowns were in the red-zone, and he went untouched on a 25-yard scramble where he ran through the middle of Denver's defense. Allen also added a goal-line rushing TD. He went over 4,000 yards on the season and continues to put himself in the MVP conversation. With the win, Buffalo clinched the AFC East for the first time since 1995. Allen and the Bills will look to improve their playoff seed in a Week 16 matchup with New England.

Dec 19, 2020, 7:55 PM ET

I posted how high I was on Allen, and the Bills offense in general here somewhere in the preseason but can’t find it. I have him on a few teams, and he may almost single-handedly (along with Waller) drag one of them to the finals. Arm strength, accuracy, rushing ability. He’s the total package. 

Last edited by a moderator:
... EXCEPTIONAL arm.  TRULY amazing arm not just in terms of strength but in terms of arm-talent.

... Josh Allen's background of working on a farm in a small town with his work ethic firmly grounded and that he scored very high on the Wonderlic.

... I think that teams are intrigued by more than the arm or the brain of Allen.  They like his leadership, the off-field work ethic, and he's a good guy from everything I've seen.  I think they don't see him as he is now but how he can develop.

... Josh also has an exceptional ability to shake off large defenders to extend the play and can take shots that would put many QBs out of a game. 

... he is very-good making throws on the run 

...We're seeing something totally unique with this kid.  We haven't seen anything like him before.  He is writing a new chapter.
BEFORE he was drafted I saw something special with Josh.  I felt it would take years before he developed to this point.

I'm very impressed with the huge leaps he's taken.  He's far ahead of where I thought he'd be at this point.  I drafted him in a rookie dynasty draft in the second round. 

He's been amazing

We’ve all discussed how his accuracy has improved leaps and bounds, his vastly improved decision making is what has impressed me the most. We don’t see too many boneheaded mistakes at all any more. He’s matured as much in real life NFL as he has in fantasy.

It’s kind of funny how when you look at the 2018 class, the two guys who everyone considered to be the project guys have had by far the 2 best statistical seasons. Nobody else is really even close to Jackson’s 2019 and Allen’s 2020. 

Basically 2 straight years now of many of the experts having to eat their words on QB evaluations.

It’s kind of funny how when you look at the 2018 class, the two guys who everyone considered to be the project guys have had by far the 2 best statistical seasons. Nobody else is really even close to Jackson’s 2019 and Allen’s 2020. 

Basically 2 straight years now of many of the experts having to eat their words on QB evaluations.

I took A LOT of grief with my Josh Allen takes at the time.

I like the inexplicable, inscrutable, enigmatic, nature of Baker Mayfield's leadership ability which is more of an in-yo-face type but he pulls things out of his butt on the field just when you think you can bury him.  Can't discount the guy who set the all-time NFL rookie QB TD record in only 13 starts.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if all three, Lamar, Josh, and Baker are in the playoffs or that one could be the starting QB in this year's SB.

I took A LOT of grief with my Josh Allen takes at the time.

I like the inexplicable, inscrutable, enigmatic, nature of Baker Mayfield's leadership ability which is more of an in-yo-face type but he pulls things out of his butt on the field just when you think you can bury him.  Can't discount the guy who set the all-time NFL rookie QB TD record in only 13 starts.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if all three, Lamar, Josh, and Baker are in the playoffs or that one could be the starting QB in this year's SB.
Totally agree. I think all three of Jackson, Allen and Mayfield will be great QBs for a long time.

I posted this in a game thread last week, but it’s kind of crazy that basically all of the great young QBs are in the AFC. Mahomes, Jackson, Allen, Mayfield, Herbert, Burrows. Maybe Tua. Lawrence possibly as he inevitably ends up in the AFC next year. If we stretch it out to 27 years old or under, Watson also makes the list.

For the NFC, right now the only guy that really looks like he could make that list is Murray. I guess Hurts too maybe? Not really nearly enough data there to make a call on him.

But the bottom line is that it certainly looks like the future of the NFL is a dominant AFC. Going to be a lot of exciting, great football in the AFC.

Also, looking at that list and the AFC North, it’s going to be a tough division for quite a while and the Steelers may be looking at some tough years ahead when Big Ben declines.

Totally agree. I think all three of Jackson, Allen and Mayfield will be great QBs for a long time.

I posted this in a game thread last week, but it’s kind of crazy that basically all of the great young QBs are in the AFC. Mahomes, Jackson, Allen, Mayfield, Herbert, Burrows. Maybe Tua. Lawrence possibly as he inevitably ends up in the AFC next year. If we stretch it out to 27 years old or under, Watson also makes the list.

For the NFC, right now the only guy that really looks like he could make that list is Murray. I guess Hurts too maybe? Not really nearly enough data there to make a call on him.

But the bottom line is that it certainly looks like the future of the NFL is a dominant AFC. Going to be a lot of exciting, great football in the AFC.

Also, looking at that list and the AFC North, it’s going to be a tough division for quite a while and the Steelers may be looking at some tough years ahead when Big Ben declines.
I agree with this, but if you're making the cutoff age 27 and under, I think you have to include Prescott in the NFC conversation as well.

I agree with this, but if you're making the cutoff age 27 and under, I think you have to include Prescott in the NFC conversation as well.
That’s fair. He definitely has shown that he is a great QB, especially when you compare their offense with him versus without him. 

We were talking about that in my household last night too.  Right now, that draft class isn't looking nearly as good as the 1983 class, which is admittedly setting the bar stupidly high but that's the comparison that was made at the time.  Allen looks like a pretty clear "hit."  So does Jackson, albeit in kind of an unusual manner that requires the right OC.  I don't watch many Browns games so I don't have much of an opinion on Mayfield, but he seems like someone who at least will enjoy a long career in the NFL.  It's interesting that the two guys who everybody thought were the most pro-ready have been the only two flops.  (Is it premature to put Darnold in the "bust" category?  The Jets are a dumpster fire, but Darnold hasn't shown any flashes at all this year, at least not that I've seen.)

Allen has been very impressive in his improvement. Definitely the biggest positive surprise of that qb draft imo. 

I still don’t think Darnold is dead as Gase is the worst. There is still possibly hope for Rosen with Shanahan in a dream landing spot. 

Any scenario that he gets pulled early this week?
No.  Regardless of what happens elsewhere (PIT vs. IND and TEN vs. GB are very important for the Bills), they have to win this week to lock up the #2 seed.  No chance Allen gets pulled unless he gets injured or the game gets totally out of hand.

No.  Regardless of what happens elsewhere (PIT vs. IND and TEN vs. GB are very important for the Bills), they have to win this week to lock up the #2 seed.  No chance Allen gets pulled unless he gets injured or the game gets totally out of hand.
Okay, Allen got yanked, but I trust this worked out well for you.

Mahomes is the clear top option. Murray will probably be #2 with Allen pretty close behind. 
In 6 pt. pass TD leagues, I've got Allen over Murray. No way does Murray rush for as many touchdowns next year as he did this past year, and Allen finished ahead of him in points. That's all league-dependent, though, and depends whether you're getting a point for 20 yards passing or for 25, too.  

I know he won’t win the MVP, but he deserves more of a look than he will probably get. Mahomes has been very good, but has actually been pretty uneven over the last 6-7 weeks. Rodgers has been great, but they’ve also played one of the easiest schedules in the league. Allen deserves to be more than the dark horse 3rd guy thrown in there.

In 6 pt. pass TD leagues, I've got Allen over Murray. No way does Murray rush for as many touchdowns next year as he did this past year, and Allen finished ahead of him in points. That's all league-dependent, though, and depends whether you're getting a point for 20 yards passing or for 25, too.  
I’m taking Murray in all formats. It’s hard to talk about his fantasy upside without feeling hyperbolic - so I’ll just say I see a higher ceiling with him. 

(That said, I’m riding a championship high, thanks to my favorite athlete on the planet tonight: Joshua. Patrick. Allen. Cheers!)

I’m taking Murray in all formats. It’s hard to talk about his upside without feeling hyperbolic - so I’ll just say I see a higher ceiling with him. 

(That said, I’m riding a championship high, thanks to my favorite athlete on the planet tonight: Joshua. Patrick. Allen. Cheers!)
I guess we just disagree on Murray and Allen. I'd rather have Allen today and twice Tuesday. Congratulations on your championship! 

Maybe it’s recency bias talking here but there’s no QB I’d rather have than Allen. Cannon arm, mobile, strong as !$!@ and a OC that utilizes his strengths and goes for the throat. Mahomes is great for sure but KC almost seemed disinterested at times this year. Maybe that comes with winning a super bowl. 

Maybe it’s recency bias talking here but there’s no QB I’d rather have than Allen. Cannon arm, mobile, strong as !$!@ and a OC that utilizes his strengths and goes for the throat. Mahomes is great for sure but KC almost seemed disinterested at times this year. Maybe that comes with winning a super bowl. 
Allen would be my second pick to build an NFL team around today, I think. Mahomes would be my top choice, however - probably ever.

But yeah, Allen looks special. I’m happy for him. He’s obviously put in a lot of work.

Mahomes would be my top choice, however - probably ever.
Mahomes, and it's likely not that close. Mobile enough to escape the toughest pressure. Great mechanics when needed and called for, foolishly effective ones when in a pinch. Only thing I can think of is that he doesn't have is that Diggs-esque classic all-around receiver to complement him. He's got some non-traditional excellence around him in Hill and Kelce. I think that makes his game a little more non-traditional and prone to some inconsistency, unlike Allen this year.  

Josh Allen completed 27-of-36 passes for 320 yards and four touchdowns in the Bills' 38-9, Week 16 win over the Patriots, adding 35 rushing yards on four attempts.

Allen was rested early in the fourth quarter of the blowout win after a near-perfect night. He should have had five touchdown passes, but both Taiwan Jones and Dawson Knox committed blatant drops in the end zone with nobody around on the same drive before Zack Moss capped it off with a short rushing score. Allen's first touchdown was a four-yarder to blocking TE Lee Smith before Allen and Stefon Diggs hooked up for three touchdowns from 50, 18, and eight yards away in the second half. Allen now holds the Bills' franchise record for completions and touchdown passes and is going to be in the MVP conversation. With the Bills and Steelers tied at 12-3 headed into Week 17 and fighting for the No. 2 seed in the AFC, Allen should be out there against the Dolphins before the playoffs.

Dec 28, 2020, 11:04 PM ET

I’d be slightly concerned if Daboll leaves for a head coaching gig.

That said, the way this franchise is pulling the right levers, I’m sure they’d bring in someone else who would continue to let Josh cook (sorry, Russ, it’s not you any more)

That said, the way this franchise is pulling the right levers, I’m sure they’d bring in someone else who would continue to let Josh cook (sorry, Russ, it’s not you any more)
I would be shocked if Daboll doesn’t get a HC gig. He and Bienemy have to be the two hottest candidates.

I agree. Daboll has turned into a fantastic OC and the players love him. I think there’s a good chance that they would promote QB coach Ken Dorsey to OC if/when Daboll is hired as a HC.

I would be shocked if Daboll doesn’t get a HC gig. He and Bienemy have to be the two hottest candidates.
Also, don't be shocked if Daboll stays right where he is. He grew up in the area, and grew up as a Bills fan. So he bleeds Buffalo red and blue. He also went to college at University of Rochester, a little over an hour away. So right now, there's a good chance that he is literally in his dream job.

Also, don't be shocked if Daboll stays right where he is. He grew up in the area, and grew up as a Bills fan. So he bleeds Buffalo red and blue. He also went to college at University of Rochester, a little over an hour away. So right now, there's a good chance that he is literally in his dream job.
True - they could give him a McDaniels-sized paycheck to stay as OC.

I mean, I want to believe this is true too, but if you got an opportunity to be a head coach in a decent spot, I think you gotta take it.  Ideally, knock on wood, Sean McDermott is gonna be around in Buffalo for awhile.  Daboll may need to go elsewhere to get that shot.

I mean, I want to believe this is true too, but if you got an opportunity to be a head coach in a decent spot, I think you gotta take it.  Ideally, knock on wood, Sean McDermott is gonna be around in Buffalo for awhile.  Daboll may need to go elsewhere to get that shot.
Not sure how Daboll feels, but it’s also true that not every coach wants or needs to be *the* guy. All that said, I think he bolts.

You guys are missing the point.

You guys are underestimating what its like to work for your team. The team you grew up watching and rooting for. Regardless of money.

Look at all the coaches that take better jobs for other teams. To them its just a job, because they're not really a fan of the team. You hear coaches all the time say they're 'a fan of the game'. Let's be real, 'a fan of the game' and 'a fan of the team' are two different things.

Do you think that the coaches and players don't check and see how their team is doing? Of course they do. We just don't hear about it.

Just because a player/coach puts on their employees jersey/shirt, doesn't necessarily mean that they're a fan of the team. They can become a fan of the team, but there's still gonna be a place in their heart for their real team, the team they grew up with.

Josh Allen is a 49ers fan.

Here's a hypothetical situation.

Bills offer Allen a $40M/year 5 year deal

49ers offer Allen a $35M/year 5 year deal

Where would you think he goes? Honestly, i don't know. I could see that being a 50/50 toss up.

Now what if we do:

Jags offer Allen a $45M/year 5 year deal

My money is on him staying in Buffalo.

Basically what I'm saying is, being an OC for your team, far out-ways any HC job on a crap team that you don't even like. Plus, Pegula's got money. I doubt they let him leave the building.

You guys are underestimating what its like to work for your team. The team you grew up watching and rooting for. Regardless of money.

Look at all the coaches that take better jobs for other teams. To them its just a job, because they're not really a fan of the team. You hear coaches all the time say they're 'a fan of the game'. Let's be real, 'a fan of the game' and 'a fan of the team' are two different things.

Do you think that the coaches and players don't check and see how their team is doing? Of course they do. We just don't hear about it.

Just because a player/coach puts on their employees jersey/shirt, doesn't necessarily mean that they're a fan of the team. They can become a fan of the team, but there's still gonna be a place in their heart for their real team, the team they grew up with.

Josh Allen is a 49ers fan.

Here's a hypothetical situation.

49ers offer Allen a $35M/year 5 year deal

Where would you think he goes? Honestly, i don't know. I could see that being a 50/50 toss up.

Now what if we do:

Jags offer Allen a $45M/year 5 year deal

My money is on him staying in Buffalo.

Basically what I'm saying is, being an OC for your team, far out-ways any HC job on a crap team that you don't even like. Plus, Pegula's got money. I doubt they let him leave the building.
No chance in hell. He's a GOD here in WNY. I mean, he could probably shot the mayor right in Niagara Square, and everyone would just look the other way

No chance in hell. He's a GOD here in WNY. I mean, he could probably shot the mayor right in Niagara Square, and everyone would just look the other way
lol, that's a hypothetical situation man. I'd hope he stays in this situation too. but if those were real FA contracts, it's not WNY's decision. It's his. 

If I were put in this type of situation, I'd take less money and go back to my home team. And based on your statement, you're from WNY, a passionate Bills fan, and If you were given the same hypothetical, you'd probably take less money to play for the Bills. 

I want to be wrong, but I don't buy what you're selling for a second. I can't really relate personally, but I've seen enough stories of players who grew up as a fan of Team Y, but once they played (and got paid big $) for Team Y they completely changed their allegiance. Factor in that Daboll would be making 2 or 3 or whatever million dollars more in a HC gig... I think he'll be gone if he gets an offer.

I want to be wrong, but I don't buy what you're selling for a second. I can't really relate personally, but I've seen enough stories of players who grew up as a fan of Team Y, but once they played (and got paid big $) for Team Y they completely changed their allegiance. Factor in that Daboll would be making 2 or 3 or whatever million dollars more in a HC gig... I think he'll be gone if he gets an offer.
I don't believe that you're not buying it for a second.

Must've been a bad Organization. Jets, Bengals, Pats, Dallas(?), and others.

That's not something the Bills as an Organization have to worry about. Us as fans have heard nothing but good praise coming out of OBD as far as the coaching staff/player life is concerned, and how things are run ever since Pegula's took over.  You think Daboll will be gone if he gets an offer? I think Pegula's match the offer or even a little home town discount and he stays.

Users who are viewing this thread