What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Quincy Carter's wonderlic score (1 Viewer)

Footballguy
Quincy Carter scored a 30 on his Wonderlic test, which ended up being better than Troy Aikman's 29, and 5 times better than Vince Young's dreadful 6.

Just a little FYI

Quincy Carter scored a 30 on his Wonderlic test, which ended up being better than Troy Aikman's 29, and 5 times better than Vince Young's dreadful 6.

Just a little FYI
:lmao:

That's because Quincy Carter was a horrible football player and focused on his schoolwork (and snorting cocaine)

That's because Quincy Carter was a horrible football player and focused on his schoolwork (and snorting cocaine)
You know, when I played football, I realized that a couple of the guys I would think were dumb as rocks in the class room would be the ones teaching me what to do on the field and how to run routes, etc....Kind of interesting how that works.

There is a difference between intelligence and wisdom. Quincy Carter may be intelligent, but lacks common sense. I've seen VY speak in numerous interviews with poise. He may lack "wonderlic" intelligence (it's just one test), but has a high degree of wisdom. I'm not worried about VY's head. He'll be a fine to great player in the NFL.

Last edited by a moderator:

Just a little FYI
There is still someone that has anything other than complete disdain for quincy carter?wait..

quincy? is that you?

This is so ridiculous. This is the perfect example of the amount of stock we should put in this test. If Carter, who sucked, scored twice the score of Marino or YOung, obviously the test is BS. Leaf also scored pretty high.

This is so ridiculous. This is the perfect example of the amount of stock we should put in this test. If Carter, who sucked, scored twice the score of Marino or YOung, obviously the test is BS. Leaf also scored pretty high.
The only thing more ridiculous than thinking the wonderlic can tell you who will be a good quarterback is thinking the wonderlic is meaningless..It is one tool that is used in an ATTEMPT to determine if a person has what it takes to succeeed. A high score does NOT mean you will suceed, and a low score DOES NOT mean you will fail.

HOWEVER, a low score is a legit concern for teams as this is a tool that measures one of many qualities that go into making an NFL QB.

The only thing more ridiculous than thinking the wonderlic can tell you who will be a good quarterback is thinking the wonderlic is meaningless..It is one tool that is used in an ATTEMPT to determine if a person has what it takes to succeeed. A high score does NOT mean you will suceed, and a low score DOES NOT mean you will fail.

HOWEVER, a low score is a legit concern for teams as this is a tool that measures one of many qualities that go into making an NFL QB.
Dude...I scored a 1250 on the SAT back in H.S. and I couldn't even spell Wonderlic until 3 days ago. A large part of what got me that 1250, and a lot of other good test scores in my life is the fact that I'm a "good test-taker". I'm just good at it. I can take a test where I have no prior knowledge of the material and just figger the #### out. That's one of the reasons I'm so friggin lazy. I could prolly nail a 40+ on the Wonderlic. I don't think that's ever made me anything more than the average baseball player I've always been. If you throw 82, no amount of thinking it through is gonna make you spot a 102 mph fastball...with crazy movement. In football talent terms, that's what Vince Young does.Thing is, not everyone is a good test-taker. That's another thing a low score could indicate. Maybe Dan Marino is in this category. Maybe he didn't give a #### or was hungover. Maybe his was graded wrong. Maybe it was just reported (leaked)wrong...and how credible should we find a score that's leaked in the first place?

Maybe there are a lot of possibilities that none of us here have even thought of (the most likely scenario).

Dude...I scored a 1250 on the SAT back in H.S. and I couldn't even spell Wonderlic until 3 days ago. A large part of what got me that 1250, and a lot of other good test scores in my life is the fact that I'm a "good test-taker". I'm just good at it. I can take a test where I have no prior knowledge of the material and just figger the #### out. That's one of the reasons I'm so friggin lazy. I could prolly nail a 40+ on the Wonderlic. I don't think that's ever made me anything more than the average baseball player I've always been. If you throw 82, no amount of thinking it through is gonna make you spot a 102 mph fastball...with crazy movement. In football talent terms, that's what Vince Young does.Thing is, not everyone is a good test-taker. That's another thing a low score could indicate. Maybe Dan Marino is in this category. Maybe he didn't give a #### or was hungover. Maybe his was graded wrong. Maybe it was just reported (leaked)wrong...and how credible should we find a score that's leaked in the first place?

Maybe there are a lot of possibilities that none of us here have even thought of (the most likely scenario).
I have no problem with anything you said. It still does not mean the wonderlic is not a valid tool to assess a players potential.As with any tool, it is only as good as the people who understand it's value, and it is not the bottom line.

There are a TON of scenarios, and it is in VY's best interest to clear it up. So I am sure we'll hear from him shortly.

Again, don't trash the wonderlic just because MAYBE your guy scored low on it. Wonderlic is used a lot of places OTHER than the NFL and is widely accepted as a valuable tool.

I have no problem with anything you said. It still does not mean the wonderlic is not a valid tool to assess a players potential.As with any tool, it is only as good as the people who understand it's value, and it is not the bottom line.

There are a TON of scenarios, and it is in VY's best interest to clear it up. So I am sure we'll hear from him shortly.

Again, don't trash the wonderlic just because MAYBE your guy scored low on it. Wonderlic is used a lot of places OTHER than the NFL and is widely accepted as a valuable tool.
I think the players who have scored well and sucked in the NFL is proof enough to me. Marino and Cunningham scoring the same as Young tells me something as well.

I think the players who have scored well and sucked in the NFL is proof enough to me. Marino and Cunningham scoring the same as Young tells me something as well.
Use all the test results and you will see a pattern. There are, of course, exceptions to every rule.

Use all the test results and you will see a pattern. There are, of course, exceptions to every rule.
Exactly. I find it beyond coincidence that the two people bashing the Wonderlic the most in this thread are a guy who has Vince Young as his avatar (and the source of his signature quote) and a guy who has the TX state flag as his avatar. It appears that everything truly is bigger in Texas, including the denial.

5 times higher than Vince Young's
So he got an 80?...and Dan Marino scored a 14, compared to VY's 16.

What does all this mean?

Nothing.
Young scored a 6 until they prove he didn't with a copy of the test.
Actually, whatever score is reported to the teams via the combine report is what his score is. Please validate the source of the so called "leak." TIA.

We should probably throw out the 40 too. I know Marino's 40 time sucked.Anything Dan Marino did not ace is probably worhtless.

I'll also be calling all the employers in America that use wonderlic and telling them that the wonderlic is useless because Vince MAY or MAY NOT have done poorly.

Unless you are saying problem solving and intelligence are not tools a quarterback needs?

Obviously you'll find great qbs that did poorly and crappy qbs that did great, this applies to EVERY MEASURABLE FROM THE COMBINE. That does not mean that the drills/tests are not an asset in attempting to predict how a player will perform.

Exactly. I find it beyond coincidence that the two people bashing the Wonderlic the most in this thread are a guy who has Vince Young as his avatar (and the source of his signature quote) and a guy who has the TX state flag as his avatar. It appears that everything truly is bigger in Texas, including the denial.
I live in Texas and that has me :lmao: :lmao:

Exactly.  I find it beyond coincidence that the two people bashing the Wonderlic the most in this thread are a guy who has Vince Young as his avatar (and the source of his signature quote) and a guy who has the TX state flag as his avatar. 

It appears that everything truly is bigger in Texas, including the denial.
The funny thing is, those are the two guys, along with Hawk, who probably know more about Vince Young than anyone else on this board...but that doesn't matter, right?

Exactly.  I find it beyond coincidence that the two people bashing the Wonderlic the most in this thread are a guy who has Vince Young as his avatar (and the source of his signature quote) and a guy who has the TX state flag as his avatar. 

The funny thing is, those are the two guys, along with Hawk, who probably know more about Vince Young than anyone else on this board...but that doesn't matter, right?
The problem appears to be that they know little else.

That's not true...but were we talking about something else?

I think somebody should tell Young that Carter's score was five times higher just to see if he can figure out what it was.

:D

Dude...I scored a 1250 on the SAT back in H.S. and I couldn't even spell Wonderlic until 3 days ago. A large part of what got me that 1250, and a lot of other good test scores in my life is the fact that I'm a "good test-taker". I'm just good at it. I can take a test where I have no prior knowledge of the material and just figger the #### out. That's one of the reasons I'm so friggin lazy. I could prolly nail a 40+ on the Wonderlic. I don't think that's ever made me anything more than the average baseball player I've always been. If you throw 82, no amount of thinking it through is gonna make you spot a 102 mph fastball...with crazy movement. In football talent terms, that's what Vince Young does.

Thing is, not everyone is a good test-taker. That's another thing a low score could indicate. Maybe Dan Marino is in this category. Maybe he didn't give a #### or was hungover. Maybe his was graded wrong. Maybe it was just reported (leaked)wrong...and how credible should we find a score that's leaked in the first place?

OH WOW A 1250!! THAT'S SUCH A FREAKING GOOD SCORE!!!!! :rolleyes: You've got to be kidding me.BTW I read the last post by surferskin and noticed his avatar. Is it really a badass play when someone sacks David Carr? If that's the best picture a foreskins fan can come up with for an avatar, it explains a lot about that team and their dinosaur at quarterback.

Dude...I scored a 1250 on the SAT back in H.S. and I couldn't even spell Wonderlic until 3 days ago. A large part of what got me that 1250, and a lot of other good test scores in my life is the fact that I'm a "good test-taker". I'm just good at it. I can take a test where I have no prior knowledge of the material and just figger the #### out. That's one of the reasons I'm so friggin lazy. I could prolly nail a 40+ on the Wonderlic. I don't think that's ever made me anything more than the average baseball player I've always been. If you throw 82, no amount of thinking it through is gonna make you spot a 102 mph fastball...with crazy movement. In football talent terms, that's what Vince Young does.

Thing is, not everyone is a good test-taker. That's another thing a low score could indicate. Maybe Dan Marino is in this category. Maybe he didn't give a #### or was hungover. Maybe his was graded wrong. Maybe it was just reported (leaked)wrong...and how credible should we find a score that's leaked in the first place?

OH WOW A 1250!! THAT'S SUCH A FREAKING GOOD SCORE!!!!! :rolleyes: You've got to be kidding me.BTW I read the last post by surferskin and noticed his avatar. Is it really a badass play when someone sacks David Carr? If that's the best picture a foreskins fan can come up with for an avatar, it explains a lot about that team and their dinosaur at quarterback.
Please don't bump your own mindless threads from 4 days ago anymoreTIA

Most likely scenario is that maybe VY just sucks???!?!maybe the scouts played CYA ( cover your ###) so they didn't have to come out and say he can't throw well with that hitch, he's inclined to run more than stand in the pocket and wait for things to develop, he's Mike Vick, Jr., bla bla bla?

Akili Smith meet Kordell Stewart, you're new name is Vince Young.

your mission? be the next great QB bust in the NFL..

he's good..`Charlie Ward` good..

charlie ward is the best QB in the NBA..

Most likely scenario is that maybe VY just sucks???!?!

maybe the scouts played CYA ( cover your ###) so they didn't have to come out and say he can't throw well with that hitch, he's inclined to run more than stand in the pocket and wait for things to develop, he's Mike Vick, Jr., bla bla bla?

I can't really understand your post, but it seems to me you've got it right. This is coming from a Texas fan.

Most likely scenario is that maybe VY just sucks???!?!

maybe the scouts played CYA ( cover your ###) so they didn't have to come out and say he can't throw well with that hitch, he's inclined to run more than stand in the pocket and wait for things to develop, he's Mike Vick, Jr., bla bla bla?

I can't really understand your post, but it seems to me you've got it right. This is coming from a Texas fan.
Could you just leave him alone, he doesn't have much time to post during recess.

Users who are viewing this thread