What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Racist 19yo masterminds recreation of act of racial terrorism from obscure university 1000 miles ago and 3 months prior, then claims it, sending Ole M (1 Viewer)

It is also being left out that a few months before, another university had elected their first black female student body president. The day she was to take over the post, bananas with her sorority letters were hung from trees with nooses.  Members of the Ole Miss chapter of that sorority were at this retreat and are quoted in the article. That context and how it played into these students reactions was shared in the aforementioned discussions which became heated and were what resulted in the students leaving.

lol at the thread title and the first post. That's just terrible stuff. Couldn't have misrepresented this any more if you had tried. Very disappointing and kind of makes me sad. I'm done. Move to politics forum. 
Felt like events and context that do not contribute to painting the black students in a bad light were omitted from the original post.

I mean, you guys honestly think he put that in a tree because there was no trash can around? I think it's obvious what he meant by it. 
After reading the article, I think you're correct. He may have done it in jest, but the underlying meaning was racially charged.

My favorite faux outrage is the faux outrage from white males who are more disturbed by minorities having hurt feelings than the actual systemic racism being enacted by numerous legislations across the US.  

Poor and minorites being disenfrancised by the tens of thousands by voter ID laws specifically designed to keep them from voting?  Meh...not even worth an eyebrow raise.

A handful of minorites who are temporarily pissed because of a banana being left in a tree in an area where racism is an extremely hot buttom issue?  OMG LET ME GET TO THE FFA TO START THREADZZZZ!!!!  
You cannot be serious?????   

You cannot be serious?????   
It's TGunz... he's very serious. 

I do find it entertaining that being served bananas inside the cabin was not offensive, but the refuse left over from their consumption outside of the cabin was offensive. 

I do find it entertaining that being served bananas inside the cabin was not offensive, but the refuse left over from their consumption outside of the cabin was offensive. 
You did kind of leave out the part where Ole Miss students hung nooses around bananas and hung them from trees spelling out the greek letters of a black sorority whose sister was elected to something rather important.  That......that was a key detail to leave out.

You did kind of leave out the part where Ole Miss students hung nooses around bananas and hung them from trees spelling out the greek letters of a black sorority whose sister was elected to something rather important.  That......that was a key detail to leave out.
That happened at American University in Washington DC. :confused:

Still.... If this guy had placed bananas on their vehicle? Hung them from a tree with nooses? Wrote the sorority letters on them?  Spell something out on the ground with them? Something clear like that? Hell yeah... very uncool and would back the outrage 100%. 

Random banana peel in a tree outside a place they were serving bananas for breakfast? No noose? No writing? Already eaten? Not in conjunction with any other symbolism/reference/event?  Eh.... 

Maybe it's just that I've tossed a banana peel / apple core / other organic waste into shrubs or whatever in the past.... for me, there's plausible deniability as something a stupid college kid would do. 

Just not something to get that bent out of shape over....  The fact that this is reflective of a pattern of behavior among socially/emotionally fragile college students is what made it comical enough for me to share here (plus I knew it would drive entertaining discussion). 

Last edited by a moderator:
Shocking that students who attended a university where someone placed a noose around the neck of the statute of James Meredith might perceive racism in seemingly innocent situations. 
Uh, yeah, and...

Makala McNeil, president of Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority, one of the nine historically African-American sororities and fraternities, said she saw the banana peel after leaving a group discussion that addressed race relations.

She said the image was especially disturbing in light of an incident on American University’s campus in May of this year. The morning Taylor Dumpson was to take over as the school’s first female black student government president, students found bananas hanging from nooses across campus. Some of the bananas were inscribed with references to Dumpson’s sorority, Alpha Kappa Alpha.

So this is the order of events if I have it right...

1. An Alpha Kappa Alpha president was threatened via noosed banana peels with Alpha Kappa Alpha inscribed on them (albeit on another campus)
  2. An Alpha Kappa Alpha president leaves a meeting about race relations and sees a banana peel hanging in a tree
I mean, it was probably just an unfortunate coincidence but it seems like, as usual, reality is a far cry from the way this was originally presented to us.  This was a sorority that had just been threatened with banana peels over race relations stumbling across a hanging banana peel when leaving a meeting about race relations.

But hey, if there's one thing I've learned from living in Tennessee and Utah, it's that no one knows how a black person should react to racial issues better than a bunch of privileged white folks.  So carry on I guess...

Ah, I see.
In sum:

Teen/early 20s college students are dramatic and jump to conclusions.  They may be right, they may be wrong, but I think it's a little weird for adults to get worked up about this like we didn't all diagnose our family members after taking Psych 101.

In sum:

Teen/early 20s college students are dramatic and jump to conclusions.  They may be right, they may be wrong, but I think it's a little weird for adults to get worked up about this like we didn't all diagnose our family members after taking Psych 101.
Perhaps, but we became adults when we were taught how to have perspective on the world around us and not turn the knob to 11 every time something made us feel uncomfortable.

Or in the words of that great thinker, Attributed Freud, "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."

Occams razor time! 

Option A: Kid at a School-wide greek retreat for all sororities/fraternities was somehow aware of an old, random incident involving an AKA sister at an obscure university a thousand miles away, and took it upon himself to attempt to recreate the act to send a message to the AKA sisters at this event.

Only, he couldn't help himself, and ate the banana, then lacked a magic marker or string to recreate the obscure incident from the obscure university a thousand miles away ... but did his best with the eaten, unmarked, untethered banana peel anyway.

Then when confronted for his actions, instead of basking in the results of his meddling, he screwed up and reflexively stood up, claimed the peel, apologized and lied saying he had no malice behind the disposal of the remnants of his breakfast. 

Options B: Kid enjoyed one of the provided fruit, and on his way out of the building decided he didn't want to carry the peel with him so he tossed/hung it from the nearest tree. Then when a ####storm resulted, he stood up, claimed the peel, and issued a genuine apology for any offense it may have generated. 

Perhaps, but we became adults when we were taught how to have perspective on the world around us and not turn the knob to 11 every time something made us feel uncomfortable.

Or in the words of that great thinker, Attributed Freud, "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."
We became adults when our brains stopped forming and we didn't have enough hormones coursing through our bodies to kill a 40 year old man.

Bingo. 

Occams razor time! 

Option A: Kid at a School-wide greek retreat with a panel that day specifically to discuss race relations for all sororities/fraternities with a panel on race relations that started in minutes was somehow aware of an three-month-old, random incident involving an AKA sister at an obscure university one thousands of miles away (AKA was one of the sororities that was at the retreat) or was aware of literally decades of symbolism about black people and bananas in racist culture, and took it upon himself to attempt to recreate the act to send a message to the AKA sisters at this event thought it would be funny to do something similar once he'd finished his banana, so he hung it on the tree knot. Only, he couldn't help himself, and ate the banana, then lacked a magic marker or string to recreate the obscure incident from the obscure university thousands of miles away ... but did his best with the eaten, unmarked, untethered banana peel anyway. Then when confronted for his actions, instead of basking in the results of his meddling, he screwed up and reflexively stood up, claimed the peel, apologized and lied saying he had no malice behind the disposal of the remnants of his breakfast he did his best not to look like a racist or get expelled

Options B: Kid enjoyed one of the provided fruit, and on his way out of the building decided he didn't want to carry the peel with him so he tossed/hung it from the nearest tree. Then when a ####storm resulted, he stood up, claimed the peel, and issued a genuine apology for any offense it may have generated. 

Again, it's not like everyone saw the banana and a race riot broke out immediately. You read the article you linked right?

Again, it's not like everyone saw the banana and a race riot broke out immediately. You read the article you linked right?
And saw the picture?  It's not a real likely thing that the banana was tossed and landed there.  I don't think the kid meant to strike fear into the hearts of his fellow campers, but it's not like he threw a banana peel over his shoulder and it landed in a bush.

this is pretty much a rehash of the same tired issues as in the 'stripper problem' thread. can we combine them?

otherwise, i won;t feel safe...

Nice thread title update. At least now it's obvious you are trolling. 
He switched gears and began trolling. But only after a number of posters disagreed with his poor assessment of the events in the article.

:lmao:  there goes my afternoon coffee on my screen!!!!

I'm confused.  So because a trash can wasn't nearby you hang the banana peel from a tree?  Just seems odd.
I think he should have buried it in the ground, so future banana trees could grow and offend many people---I mean this guy was really short-sighted in his racist efforts. :P

I think he should have buried it in the ground, so future banana trees could grow and offend many people---I mean this guy was really short-sighted in his racist efforts. :P
he's acting like it was just 1000 miles ago and 3 months away.

I have to admit that a handful of us (even the liberals) read this story at work yesterday and all had a good laugh. I mean, a banana peel? :lol: :lol:  

Users who are viewing this thread