What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Raiders WLB (1 Viewer)

F

FightingWombat

Travian Smith was penciled in on may depth charts as the Raiders starting WLB. His chronic knee problem prevented this and he was cut. From the article referenced on the blogger...http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews...rs/12263638.htm

...Tim Johnson and Kirk Morrison ``are getting a lot of work'' as the Raiders search for a replacement for Smith, Turner said.
Norton, in the Eyes of the Guru article, talks of Ryan Riddle as a sleeper at WLB. Morrison was supposed to be the guy of the future in the middle. Looks like he may start his career at WLB, provided he can beat out the journeyman Johnson. According to the Norv quote, looks like Riddle is a year away before he get the opportunity to compete for the the starting job. Any thoughts, opinions, observations on this?

I went to google to try to find something. Tyler Brayton started there on the Raiders first camp day. DeLawrence Grant is an olb and Foreman can play outside as well as inside. Really couldn't find anything concrete. Doubt if Brayton starts there unless Al Davis butts in. (Davis had Brayton in for a predraft tryout and had man love for him) Just looked at my 2003 draft tape and they said he played defensive takle in college and needs a lot of work to be a de in the NFL.

I also read Brayton took first team snaps at WLB, but my money is on Morrison to beat out Foreman for the job ...

From Sunday's SF Chronicle article

Among the many personnel changes: Brayton and Sam Williams, both former defensive ends, are now officially pass-rushing linebackers -- even though Brayton still sports a D-line number (91).

While the switch to outside linebacker is a comfortable fit for Williams, who excelled there while at Fresno State -- "I felt lost out there as a defensive end," he admitted -- Brayton has been reluctant to concede his defensive-line roots.

"I'm still holding on to D-line for life," said Brayton, who was an Outland Trophy and All-America candidate as a defensive end for Colorado. "I guess in the official roster I'm a linebacker."

"It's definitely a change, from having your hand in the dirt to now being up, in a two-point stance. You see a whole lot more of the field, a lot more of the game. And it's a good thing because with it, there comes a whole lot more responsibility."

Like pass protection. In Saturday's shoulder pads and helmets morning practice, the rangy 6-foot-6, 280-pound Brayton dropped back 15 yards into coverage on one play.

But the '05 Raiders defense, as Turner has pointed out, is being built around speed and versatility. The reluctance at this early stage to commit to one front, either last season's unsuccessful 3-4 or the 4-3, is an indication that the defensive coaches want to see exactly how the new personnel fits into the overall packages.

In the 4-3, Burgess seems a natural fit as at left defensive end, alongside tackle Ted Washington, with Warren Sapp or free agent addition Kenny Smith at the right tackle spot and perhaps Akbar Gbaja-Biamila or Grant Irons or veteran Bobby Hamilton at right end.

In the 3-4, the linebacker corps of Brayton and Williams on the outside, with run stopper Danny Clark and veteran free agent Jay Foreman inside, could be the answer for a team that once struggled to stop anyone on third down.
:X Horrible decision to make Brayton a full-time LB when he's not even a good speed rusher at DE. They will be atrocious again if they run much 3-4.

The is no way that Foreman plays at the WLB spot. He is a good run stopper but is very suspect in pass coverage and space. He doesnt have great closing speed that is often required for a WLB. What seems to make the most sense to me is that Foreman play the MLB spot, Clark and Kirk Morrison play the two outside spots. Morrison is more suited for the WLB than Clark because of age and size/speed.While I think this is unlikely, it is not totally out of the realm of possibilities.

The is no way that Foreman plays at the WLB spot. He is a good run stopper but is very suspect in pass coverage and space. He doesnt have great closing speed that is often required for a WLB.

What seems to make the most sense to me is that Foreman play the MLB spot, Clark and Kirk Morrison play the two outside spots. Morrison is more suited for the WLB than Clark because of age and size/speed.

While I think this is unlikely, it is not totally out of the realm of possibilities.
sam williams will figure in there somewhere too.

I believe Danny Clark and Sam Williams are the only two LB's with a lock on a starting position. The remaining position(s) will toggle through Tyler Brayton, Jay Foreman, and Kirk Morrison.For the life of me, I cannot see Ryan Riddle sneaking into the lineup this year.

And he'll be starting.In a 4-3, it'll be Clark, Brayton and Williams.Williams I think more as a pass rusher. They're friggin ruining Brayton'sc areer, IMO. He was showing well as a DE his rook year, and he's lost weight, so even if this LB thing fails, it isn't like he can just slide back to DE. Williams is the best bet to get better stats, behind Clark, who should have another strong year.

one thing to keep in mind though for Oak LBs, will they be on the field much? If the offense is as explosive as everyone thinks it will be, opposing teams will be throwing more than running to stay in the games, so the DBs/Safeties may be better bets. Or at most a nickel LB... I'm kinda leary about the productivity that is possible for an Oakland LB this coming season. If one of them starts to show some real pass rush skills, I'd give him the best shot at putting up some points. Otherwise i'm going to look to other teams for LBs.

And he'll be starting.

In a 4-3, it'll be Clark, Brayton and Williams.

Williams I think more as a pass rusher. They're friggin ruining Brayton'sc areer, IMO. He was showing well as a DE his rook year, and he's lost weight, so even if this LB thing fails, it isn't like he can just slide back to DE.

Williams is the best bet to get better stats, behind Clark, who should have another strong year.
:yes:

one thing to keep in mind though for Oak LBs, will they be on the field much? If the offense is as explosive as everyone thinks it will be, opposing teams will be throwing more than running to stay in the games, so the DBs/Safeties may be better bets. Or at most a nickel LB... I'm kinda leary about the productivity that is possible for an Oakland LB this coming season. If one of them starts to show some real pass rush skills, I'd give him the best shot at putting up some points. Otherwise i'm going to look to other teams for LBs.
The fact that they are a high powered offense goes the other way too. If they are quick strike, the defense wont be getting all that much time to rest between drives. In the end, I think it will even out. Early in games teams will be trying to run the ball against them to slow them down on offense. Their run defense isn't all that great so this might be a valid strategy against them, even if it only takes them 1:30 to score.

Users who are viewing this thread