What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Carlos Hyde, JAC (2 Viewers)

Terpman22 said:
Sabertooth said:
mr fancypants said:
EBF said:
Nice back, but he has very little explosiveness. It's a shame because everything else is there. He has the size, footwork, and versatility. Just doesn't have any real burst or a second gear. I've seen some suggestions that he could be a 1st round value. I'll be surprised if he goes that high.
Agree 100 % I honestly stay away fron OSU RB's and anyone from Alabama. They don't seam to transition to for the next level well

did you notice Lacy last year? Seemed pretty good. :shrug:
:lol:
Big deal. Your picking an exception. If this was the case Northern Iowa would be considered a QB factory for producing Kurt Warner. What about the 2 starting RB's for the tide. TRich and the guy whose name escapes me that the Saints moved up in the draft to select. What about the CB the Jets drafted last year who got benched.The great LB the Raiders took a couple of years who is now out of the league. Your really throwing one guy who bucked the trend and ignoring reality.

Terpman22 said:
Sabertooth said:
mr fancypants said:
EBF said:
Nice back, but he has very little explosiveness. It's a shame because everything else is there. He has the size, footwork, and versatility. Just doesn't have any real burst or a second gear. I've seen some suggestions that he could be a 1st round value. I'll be surprised if he goes that high.
Agree 100 % I honestly stay away fron OSU RB's and anyone from Alabama. They don't seam to transition to for the next level well

Big deal. Your picking an exception. If this was the case Northern Iowa would be considered a QB factory for producing Kurt Warner. What about the 2 starting RB's for the tide. TRich and the guy whose name escapes me that the Saints moved up in the draft to select. What about the CB the Jets drafted last year who got benched.The great LB the Raiders took a couple of years who is now out of the league. Your really throwing one guy who bucked the trend and ignoring reality.
Evaluate each player individually, if you don't...then you miss out because of BIAS. The only coincidence is if a school has a flawed scheme that doesn't transition. Even so, players can still thrive despite scheme. Mark Ingram and Trich aren't related, they don't have the same body or skill set. They only went to the same school.

Are we assuming he faked injury at the combine? Everything about it seemed fishy to me. And then he didn't run again at his pro day. He knows he's too slow.
Even pulling up at the end he ran 4.66, that's not really bad for a guy his size.

without pulling up he probably hits in the high 4.5's/low 4.6's which is fine for a 230 lb back and similar to leveon Bell.

Definitely not a freak of nature or anything, but plenty serviceable for a big agile back.

Rotoworld:

Ohio State RB Carlos Hyde is the only running back to earn a top-two round grade from ESPN.com's Todd McShay.

McShay sees a potential marriage between Hyde and the Ravens. "In new offensive coordinator Gary Kubiaks zone-blocking scheme, getting a guy who can patiently wait for the creases to open up and then accelerate through the hole once they do is paramount," he wrote. "Hyde would be a perfect fit as a second-round pick, but if they wait until later, [FSU's Devonta] Freeman and [Washington's Bishop] Sankey are two good options." Hyde is the consensus No. 1 RB in the class. He's been compared to...Ryan Mathews, Frank Gore and Zac Stacy.

Source: ESPN Insider
:oldunsure:

The most realistic hyper-optimistic comparison I've seen is Arian Foster. Another slow guy with good feet, balance, and receiving ability.
I could see Arian Foster, Alf Morris as his ceiling. WTF on the Ryan matthews comp. Their running styles are very different plus matthews is significantly faster.
Morris is a pretty bad comp. Maybe an Alfred Morris who is great at catching the football. Depending on where Hyde lands I will be seriously considering him @ #2 overall. I love a couple of the WR going late in the first so I think i can pass on Evans at #2.I don't really get the no explosion talk. Hyde is 240 pounds guys. His explosion is fine for a back that size. He's not a stiff either. He's got some wiggle. He's a great pass blocker. He can catch the football. He's great after contact. He's got a great shot at being a stud RB.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

Ohio State RB Carlos Hyde is the only running back to earn a top-two round grade from ESPN.com's Todd McShay.

McShay sees a potential marriage between Hyde and the Ravens. "In new offensive coordinator Gary Kubiaks zone-blocking scheme, getting a guy who can patiently wait for the creases to open up and then accelerate through the hole once they do is paramount," he wrote. "Hyde would be a perfect fit as a second-round pick, but if they wait until later, [FSU's Devonta] Freeman and [Washington's Bishop] Sankey are two good options." Hyde is the consensus No. 1 RB in the class. He's been compared to...Ryan Mathews, Frank Gore and Zac Stacy.

The most realistic hyper-optimistic comparison I've seen is Arian Foster. Another slow guy with good feet, balance, and receiving ability.
I could see Arian Foster, Alf Morris as his ceiling.WTF on the Ryan matthews comp. Their running styles are very different plus matthews is significantly faster.
Morris is a pretty bad comp. Maybe an Alfred Morris who is great at catching the football. Depending on where Hyde lands I will be seriously considering him @ #2 overall. I love a couple of the WR going late in the first so I think i can pass on Evans at #2.I don't really get the no explosion talk. Hyde is 240 pounds guys. His explosion is fine for a back that size. He's not a stiff either. He's got some wiggle. He's a great pass blocker. He can catch the football. He's great after contact. He's got a great shot at being a stud RB.
Can anyone honestly tell the difference between Lacy and Hyde?

Rotoworld:

I could see Arian Foster, Alf Morris as his ceiling.WTF on the Ryan matthews comp. Their running styles are very different plus matthews is significantly faster.
Lacy is more explosive and has better feet. Hyde runs at 1 speed and in 1 direction IMO.

Overrated.

ETA: Blount 2.0

Put a Pat's jersey on him and Blount on his back and I'd be surprised if anyone could tell the difference. That's not necessarily a bad thing but this talk about him being elite is pretty far fetched if you ask me. Lacy he is not.

Rotoworld:

Lacy is more explosive and has better feet. Hyde runs at 1 speed and in 1 direction IMO.

Overrated.

Really hard to say how explosive Lacy was when he had nothing but gaping holes to go through. Hyde fought for a lot of tough yards and looked pretty explosive himself on the rare occasion when his OL opened a big hole for him.

Put a Pat's jersey on him and Blount on his back and I'd be surprised if anyone could tell the difference. That's not necessarily a bad thing but this talk about him being elite is pretty far fetched if you ask me. Lacy he is not.
Lacy isn't elite either.

Rotoworld:

Overrated.

Really hard to say how explosive Lacy was when he had nothing but gaping holes to go through. Hyde fought for a lot of tough yards and looked pretty explosive himself on the rare occasion when his OL opened a big hole for him.
Gaping holes? You might want to rewatch games he played without Rogers last season.

I am not 100 percent sure but I am pretty sure you can pick any position at any college and count the number of guys they sent to the pros and I bet every school has more guys that flamed out then panned out. For every Tom Brady from Michigan there is Chad Henne, Drew Henson, and Elvis Grbac, and I am sure it is like that for every position at every school.

Rotoworld:

Overrated.

Gaping holes? You might want to rewatch games he played without Rogers last season.
Hes probably referring to his college career where he had one of the best o-lines in college. However if you watch carefully you'll notice that Lacy has great agility and gains yards even when the blocking is bad. He is slightly faster than Hyde, can shed tackles just like Hyde but also has great agilty that Hyde just doesnt have. I havent seen Hyde deflect any tackles with Spin moves like Lacy did. He is more of a straight line power guy with a bit of wiggle, which works great in the NFL in the right situation. (Leveon Bell) but if he goes to a team like Green Bay I really doubt he will be as effective as Lacy was.

Surprised people are so down on Hyde. I could absolutely see him being as effective as Lacy next year if he gets in the right system. What am I missing here?

I saw him make people miss in the back field, on a screen pass, and a run. I also saw him show soft hands, good pass pro, and the ability to break tackles. He's not a can't miss prospect but i like what I see. I don't really like the spin move. That move doesn't translate to the NFL very well.

This assumes Lacy is elite. He's a good rb in a great situation imo.

I don't really like the spin move. That move doesn't translate to the NFL very well.
yup. The spin move is extremely inefficient and it hurt Lacy more than it helped him last year in the NFL.

Everyone likes to point out the one or two times it looks good, but most of the time it gets him stopped in his tracks instead of gaining an extra yard or two by just moving forward.

I saw him make people miss in the back field, on a screen pass, and a run. I also saw him show soft hands, good pass pro, and the ability to break tackles. He's not a can't miss prospect but i like what I see. I don't really like the spin move. That move doesn't translate to the NFL very well.
I'd agree with most of that. I'm not saying he doesnt have talent but just feel like some of the comps being thrown around are off. I see Beanie Wells without the foot issues when I see Hyde. There is a possibility though that he is Legarrete Blount though. That isnt horrible either, Blount had one great season in Tampa Bay.

I'd agree with most of that. I'm not saying he doesnt have talent but just feel like some of the comps being thrown around are off. I see Beanie Wells without the foot issues when I see Hyde. There is a possibility though that he is Legarrete Blount though. That isnt horrible either, Blount had one great season in Tampa Bay.
Good few past posts my friend.

Seems fantasy people are down on Hyde, yet very high on Lache Seastrunk.

NFL people are very high on Hyde and low on Seastrunk.

What is going on here, is this a case of the general public being too focused on combine numbers?
I don't think it's a combine thing exclusively. Lots of folks have been high on Seastrunk for long time. He was usually among the first names I heard over the last year or so when folks were disucssing the 2014 prospects.

Dunno what the disconnect is, or where the hype started, but it's been around for a while.

Milkman said:
8:35 he gets trucked on his 26th carry of the game and still manages to fall forward for the first down.i get the Beanie comps, but Beanie was faster.

Carlos is a bit slower, but he's more durable, and he's not a #####.
Exactly.

rdrouyn said:
Milkman said:
That is not a lot of wiggle. All I saw was a small sidestep and some decent patience but once he starts running its pretty much straightline, bulldozering other defenders.
Not every RB has to be flashy to be effective. His straight line running gets right into the crease and he runs to daylight. Trent Richardson dreams of having vision like Hyde. I don't see much of Hyde running right at defenders when there's a hole and bulldozing them.

Rotoworld:

Ohio State RB Carlos Hyde compares to Le'Veon Bell and "a more laterally explosive" Eddie Lacy, according to NFL Films' Greg Cosell.
The analyst most likes the comparison to Bell because the two big backs share light feet. "Bell is a really good receiver," Cosell said. "Hyde does have some receiving ability but I don't think he's quite as multidimensional as Bell." Hyde, the consensus No. 1 RB in the class, has also been compared to Ryan Mathews, Frank Gore and Zac Stacy.

Source: Stationcaster

He isn't a plodder, but he has no second gear. He'll be really solid for the first 5-10 yards (which are the most important), but he's not going to give you any big plays.

He doesn't remind me much of Beanie. Beanie was explosive, but he had a high-cut frame with ostrich legs and bad avoidance skills. That's why he was always injured IMO. Hyde is more compact and a lot better with his hip flexibility and lateral quickness. He doesn't have the same north-south explosiveness though.

He isn't a plodder, but he has no second gear. He'll be really solid for the first 5-10 yards (which are the most important), but he's not going to give you any big plays.

He doesn't remind me much of Beanie. Beanie was explosive, but he had a high-cut frame with ostrich legs and bad avoidance skills. That's why he was always injured IMO. Hyde is more compact and a lot better with his hip flexibility and lateral quickness. He doesn't have the same north-south explosiveness though.
Agree with most of this. I question his lateral quickness, I guess for a guy his size it's decent. He's all around meh for me and think it would be best for him to go to a team that will continue to run the option where it helps keep defenders from in front of him.

Man, people are all across the board with this guy. From average at best to comparisons to some pretty good RB's in the NFL who are (or were) Top 10 RB's in the league. It will be interesting to continue watching the debate while we wait and see where he lands.

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Mel Kiper says he has never seen a RB break more tackles or pick up more yards after contact as Carlos Hyde.
"You're talking about a kid that can bring it play after play, and is a nightmare to try and tackle, that is Carlos Hyde," Kiper said, after declaring the Buckeye has the most upside of any prospect in the group. Both Kiper and Todd McShay have Hyde as the top ball carrier in this class. Rotoworld's Josh Norris lists Hyde just behind Devonta Freeman, but appreciates the bulky backs ability to create yards for himself.

Source: ESPN

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Mel Kiper says he has never seen a RB break more tackles or pick up more yards after contact as Carlos Hyde.

"You're talking about a kid that can bring it play after play, and is a nightmare to try and tackle, that is Carlos Hyde," Kiper said, after declaring the Buckeye has the most upside of any prospect in the group. Both Kiper and Todd McShay have Hyde as the top ball carrier in this class. Rotoworld's Josh Norris lists Hyde just behind Devonta Freeman, but appreciates the bulky backs ability to create yards for himself.

Never??? I mean ever? I like Hyde but that seems like crazy hyperbole.

Rotoworld:

I had a good laugh at that one as well. Adrian Peterson had some impressive tape coming out of college in breaking tackles and picking up yardage after contact.

Rotoworld:

I guess he never saw Earl Campbell.

Rotoworld:

hyperbole is the BEST!

Rotoworld:

NFL Films' Greg Cosell believes Ohio State's Carlos Hyde is capable of being a "foundation" NFL back "if you're going to build your offense around the run game."
"He's 230 pounds, he's got quick and light feet," Cosell said of Hyde. "He's got some shiftiness to him. Some deceptive elusiveness. I think people will compare Hyde to a Le'Veon Bell, even to an Eddie Lacy. Although I think that Hyde is a little more laterally explosive than Eddie Lacy. Maybe not as purely powerful as Lacy. ... He has an excellent combination of burst and wiggle and some natural power." We expect Hyde to appeal to Ken Whisenhunt's running back-needy Titans, perhaps as early as the No. 42 overall pick.

Source: Ross Tucker Podcast

Ohio State RB Carlos Hyde could be a "foundation" back if an NFL team is willing to construct a run-first offense for him, according to NFL Films' Greg Cosell.
Cosell compares Hyde to Le'Veon Bell and "a more laterally explosive" Eddie Lacy. "He's 230 pounds, he's got quick and light feet," Cosell said. "He's got some shiftiness to him. Some deceptive elusiveness. ... He has an excellent combination of burst and wiggle and some natural power." Former NFL player Ross Tucker added that he "really liked" Hyde. Said Tucker: "When in doubt, I would like to go with the young hammerhead... this year that's Carlos Hyde and Jeremy Hill."

Source: Ross Tucker Podcast

In the article it says he pulled his hamstring a week before the combine.

Any chance we'll ever get the times he ran?
You can tell from his 10 and 20 yards splits that he's a mid 4.6 runner. He wasn't hurt at that point of his run... just like Eddie Lacy.
Is Lacy a good comp for Hyde? Is he more Lacy or Leveon? Or is another player a better comp in terms of how he will play and his potential. I really like Hyde but I fear it may be my bias for Lacy and Bell that is influencing my thoughts.

I think folks focus too much on combine numbers. With the ball in his hands, Hyde looks like a very good RB. I have watched Hyde play many times. The kid is big, has great vision, soft hands, and great balance. He lacks break-away speed but will immediately bring a running game where he lands.

Users who are viewing this thread