What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire, KC (1 Viewer)

Been trying to say for months people are not high enough on this guy and steady pushing back against any notion this draft is a Big 2 or Big 3 at RB.

ESPN's Matt Bowen compares LSU RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire to free agent RB Devonta Freeman. 

Bowen touches on Edwards-Helaire's experience with pro-style runs as part of why he is such a good fit for the NFL. LSU's run scheme consisted of a lot of inside zone and duo concepts last year, both of which allowed Edwards-Helaire to use his quickness and low-pad level as weapons between the tackles. Edwards-Helaire is also a shifty route runner who can be of service in the passing game as both a legit receiver and a check down option. Look for Edwards-Helaire to have a solid impact in the league right away. 

SOURCE: ESPN

Apr 9, 2020, 6:09 PM ET

Kind of a  bad sign that he isn't one of the 58 prospects that will be featured on the draft telecast,  right? 

Hopefully they asked and he said no.

Looks like only 3 RBs will be a part...Swift, Taylor and Dobbins. I think when it comes to RBs round 3 is still fine,  especially if it's a good landing spot. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm coming around on this guy. He is very landing spot dependant for me, because his biggest appeal is in PPR... 
I'll say it again.  McCaffrey light.

He doesn't have the measurables, but that option route is run to perfection.. he makes that LB go the wrong way over and over and over.

How high would you take him? I dont want to go all Henderson on him and over value him because of what he could be...
I think the top 5 rbs are all good prospects, but dobbins/Clyde/Akers are all more scheme dependent imo. I think you can make a case for taking each over the other. Landing spot will be key for each of them, like most rookies. Couple that with the crop of wrs, add in the next tier of backs that are also pretty decent in their own right, and this class will be rife with sleepers and probably a couple busts. 

Sports Info Solutions notes that LSU RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire had the highest adjusted broken tackle rate of any running back in the 2020 draft class.

This was a two-person race for all of the 2019 season, and Edwards-Helaire ended up breaking 86 percent of the adjusted rate of tackles, with Utah's Zack Moss right behind at 81 percent. The 5-foot-8, 209-pound tailback is considered one of the most talented tailbacks in this class -- and for good reason -- but there are some concerns about his size that will almost assuredly see him selected on Day 2. He could be a steal in that range because of his ability to contribute in so many facets. 

SOURCE: CFB Room on Twitter

Apr 19, 2020, 12:38 PM ET

The Athletic's Bruce Feldman considers LSU RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire the safest running back in the 2020 NFL Draft class.

Edwards-Helaire (5'8/209) is a bit undersized and only ran a 4.59 40-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine, but he posted the highest adjusted broken tackle rate in the country last season according to PFF. Feldman quotes LSU running backs coach Kevin Faulk as saying "you might think i'm crazy, but the guy Clyde reminds me a little of is Barry Sanders." That's some high praise from a longtime NFL standout like Faulk. Though CEH is an elite pass-catcher out of the backfield and an explosive runner, size limitations will likely resign him to being a second round selection.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Apr 21, 2020, 11:10 AM ET

Speaking with The Athletic's Bob McGinn, one scout said that LSU RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire "doesn't give you anything to hit."

"[Edwards-Helaire has] great contact balance. He’s creative and elusive. He’s got really natural hands," the scout said of the 5-foot-8, 209-pound LSU back. He notes that Edwards-Helaire's flexibility and a low running style make him a very, very difficult handle for would-be tacklers. Another scout -- who is also very high on the prospect -- referred to CEH as a "little squirt" and compared his general running style to that of Devin Singletary. The Athletic's Bruce Feldman views Edwards-Helaire as the safest running back in this class. Look for Edwards-Helaire to fly off the board at some point on Day 2 come Friday barring a surprise jump into Day 1.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Apr 22, 2020, 1:07 PM ET

CLYDE EDWARDS-HELAIRE RB, LSU TIGERS

247 Sports' Bud Elliott writes that betting markets now suggest LSU RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire is expected to be drafted before Ohio State RB J.K. Dobbins and Florida State RB Cam Akers. 

Betting markets are not the end-all, be-all for determining player projection, but they aren't a bad proxy. Edwards-Helaire, who was a non-factor prior to 2019, erupted during the Tigers championship run and is now expected to be one of the first RBs off the board, ahead of other college studs such as Dobbins and Akers. Edwards-Helaire going ahead of Akers is not terribly shocking, but being ahead of Dobbins does surprise a bit, considering Dobbins was a fantastic high school recruit who was highly productive throughout his college career (not to mention the film is impressive, too). Elliott adds that Dobbins was a favorite to be drafted over Edwards-Helaire as recently as Monday. 

SOURCE: 247 Sports

Apr 23, 2020, 4:28 PM ET

What I'm Hearing in the Final Hours Before the Start of the 2020 NFL Draft

Excerpt:

Here’s something crazy: I’m starting to hear more about teams looking at running backs, with Miami, Seattle and Kansas City among those in the mix to take a swing on one of the guys in the top group. Would they do it in Round 1? We’ll see. The consensus I’ve gotten has Georgia’s D’Andre Swift as the top guy. But someone whose name keeps coming up is LSU’s Clyde Edwards-Helaire. I’ve had more than a couple guys say they’d turn on the Tigers’ tape to watch someone else, and be drawn to the diminutive but hyper-versatile back’s skill set. One team mentioned him to me as a potentially perfect sidecar to Tom Brady in Tampa. The backs could start coming off the board late in the first, or maybe with these teams dealing back into the top of the second round.

Chiefs selected LSU RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire with the No. 32 overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft.

Edwards-Helaire (5’7/207) was a one-year starter at LSU who earned first-team All-SEC honors as a true junior after rushing for 1,414 yards and 16 touchdowns on 6.6 yards per carry. His low center of gravity and quick feet make him difficult to bring down in open space, showcasing those traits with heightened opportunity (64 targets) as a receiver out of the Tigers' backfield last year. He efficiently recorded 55 receptions for 453 yards in 2019, dropping just three passes all year. His stature and 4.60 speed make him an unconventional three-down prospect but he'll have time to develop as such since he’ll only be 21 years old in his rookie season. NFL Network and Chargers color analyst Daniel Jeremiah comped CEH to Austin Ekeler. Edwards-Helaire is one of the top receiving-back prospects of the last half decade and should be drafted accordingly in any offseason dynasty and keeper leagues.

Apr 24, 2020, 12:12 AM ET

Wow. Need to wrap my head around this one. As an LSU fan and 1.1 holder. Mostly happy for CEH right now. We'll see where the other backs go tomorrow.

We still need to see where Swift, Taylor and Dobbins go but this just turned the draft on it's head!

Tex

• Smile
Reactions: DAG
We still need to see where Swift, Taylor and Dobbins go but this just turned the draft on it's head!

Tex
Does it really matter?  A video game offense just took him over any of those guys.

i didn’t think he’d be the 1st rb taken, but he was and went to best offense in nfl.  Easy 1.01 in Rookie drafts 

Maybe someone will be interested in my 1.01 now
This was my reaction at first too. If he emerges as the consensus 1.1 I'll be interested to see just how much people are willing to pay. I could imagine one of Swift/Dobbins or Taylor overtaking CEH if they go to say TB or PIT respectively. I could see people viewing CEH as a role player luxury pick (whether accurate or not) after the buzz wears off.

I'll say this as an LSU fan: I've been quiet on him because I really couldn't decide on how much value I thought he might have in the NFL. Watching him every week, I can say he was underappreciated by the national media as a major engine in the offense, arguably the next guy after Burrow who really made things flow. I tend to undervalue LSU players, I guess because I'm always neurotic when I'm watching them play. So I'm not very valuable to anyone here, including myself. I think he's mostly been underestimated  because of his size and one year of elite production (in an offense that admittedly floated all boats). This pick could swing things too far in the opposite direction. Or not. 

Does it really matter?  A video game offense just took him over any of those guys.

i didn’t think he’d be the 1st rb taken, but he was and went to best offense in nfl.  Easy 1.01 in Rookie drafts 
For those that were sold on Taylor or Swift it might matter but not such much with me. I've been on that bandwagon but to some degree it adds more value to pick 4-5 as it pushes those other players down I notch. Now it Moss or Vaughn get picked in more favorable spots compared to Taylor and Swift it pushes that number down to 5-6 and just deepens the draft.

Tex

• Smile
Disagree.  KC is a much better spot long term and they picked CEH over swift.  CEH will be with Mahomes for years.  Brady isn’t going to be around more than 1-2 years max playing at a high level.  

it’s not close IMO.  
good points but KC is looking rbbc and CEH doesnt have the size to be an NFL work horse RB

For those that were sold on Taylor or Swift it might matter but not such much with me. I've been on that bandwagon but to some degree it adds more value to pick 4-5 as it pushes those other players down I notch. Now it Moss or Vaughn get picked in more favorable spots compared to Taylor and Swift it pushes that number down to 5-6 and just deepens the draft.

Tex
True.  Some may draw a line in the sand and not budge.  Probably a mistake by them, but who knows.  Lots of rb talent.  I love Taylor but would take CEH over him without a doubt knowing CEH went to KC

good points but KC is looking rbbc and CEH doesnt have the size to be an NFL work horse RB
People said same thing about MJD.  CEH is short but compact.  Also in KC the offense is wide open.  He won’t have to be a grinder to get FF points.  

People said same thing about MJD.  CEH is short but compact.  Also in KC the offense is wide open.  He won’t have to be a grinder to get FF points.  
100% agree. MJD was bigger, but CEH's size never made sense to me as a concern. He's compact, extremely low center of gravity, great contact balance. He's "small" in a way that has worked out fine for other NFL RBs, especially with his 3-down profile and especially in a system like KC's.

I expressed some measure of caution earlier in the thread, and I'm keeping an even keel for now. But I don't see his size as an issue and agree that he'll churn out ppr points in KC where he won't need to get heavy volume in terms of carries. If you want to ding CEH on only breaking out for one year, that's fair game, especially since at LSU RBs have not had as much of an issue thriving as QBs (though we haven't thrown to RBs like we did this year in more than a decade). But the non-prototype concerns make less sense to me now that we have a sense of scheme fit.

I also agree with comments about about sticking too much to predetermination on guys like Swift, etc. I still like the other top backs and I'm still waiting to see where they land tomorrow night. But a 3-down back just went to Andy Reid and the best QB in the league. Kinda cool. 

What I really love about CEH’s game is how he creates his own space. I don’t think any other back is this draft actually has that as a part of their talent toolbox. It’s beautiful to watch.

Tex

Edwards-Helaire has the most exciting comps of any 2020 prospect, including Kareem Hunt and Alvin Kamara, two of the strongest WAR producers at the position in recent seasons. The obvious difference between his comps and those for the running backs above is receiving production. Edwards-Helaire averaged 3.7 receptions per game and accounted for 70% of running back receptions for LSU last season.

The floor for Edwards-Helaire isn’t much higher than other top running backs, but he has the best ceiling and mean of any at 0.70 and 0.41 WAR.

Tex

CEH took over as the primary RB for LSU in his junior season and immediately set career highs in rushing and receiving. His 1,414 rushing yards2 was good for No. 15 in the nation. He also flashed strong receiving skills, catching 55 balls for 453 yards.  CEH continued to play a role on special teams for LSU, returning 12 kicks for 214 yards. Most importantly, CEH showcased a three-down skillset against several strong opponents.

It should be noted that Texas (9), Florida (7), Auburn (9), and Alabama (3) were all ranked inside the top 10 when LSU played against them. Given that CEH showed out against top opponents, I’m optimistic that he can be a solid contributor in the NFL as a rusher and receiver.

His final season Backfield Dominator Rating of 0.8 is superior to that of several highly projected RB prospects, most notably: J.K. Dobbins (0.68), D’Andre Swift (0.47), Cam Akers (0.74), and Jonathan Taylor (0.62). Note that a higher Backfield Dominator Rating season doesn’t mean that he’s a superior prospect, but it does suggest that Edwards-Helaire could be undervalued relative to his peers.

Two of the more important indicators for RB success in the NFL are breakout age and final season adjusted all-purpose yards per game. Given CEH contributions in all three phases of the game, we can see that he performs quite well in this metric.

This shows why KC picked him over the rest of the RB class.

Tex

• Smile
I'm still trying to wrap my head around this one. Every year guys get taken way eailer or later than expected, but it always surprises me.

I'd say he's the 1.01 for me, only way that changes if Swift goes to Tampa.

Users who are viewing this thread