What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire, KC (1 Viewer)

I want to jump on the hype train but his playing size is an issue for me for RB1 first round. I know the comparisons to Westbrook have been made, but even Westbrook was a bigger RB. MJD was listed at the same height/weight, but MJD could block and run a 4.39. 

This dude is pretty small and he's generously listed at 5'7", 210lbs. He looks even smaller than guys like MJD and Devonta Freeman on tape. I haven't read through the entire thread so maybe it's already been discussed.

I just really don't like burning first round picks on undersized players like this although you typically see them at WR. He can break a defenders ankle with pinball moves but is he going to break tackles at the NFL level and move a pile if you get a hand on him. He has almost no injury history other than hamstring issues, so on paper that part still looks good.
I've been saying things similar to you. The counter-argument is what he did on tape in the SEC against grown men and his BMI given his size. That, some people argue, is what you need to look at. I'm not unconvinced he'll break tackles -- he's built like a truck. But will he be quick enough in space to truly be pro effective? Reports out of camp are good. I personally will bypass him in redraft and let others reap the benefits should he prove to be RB6 or RB7. 

I'm looking hard at him at 1.6 in a one player keeper league.When I take into account who is getting kept and who I believe will go ahead of me, I think I'll be looking at CEH, or the WR tier of Hill, Hopkins or Julio. Julio is tempting,  but I think of CEH as the ultimate lottery ticket this year.

Strongly considering him over Cook at 1.04 in a keeper depleted draft. Cook has RB1 overall potential but with his injury history, I'm thinking I'd rather have a safer mid to late RB1 in CEH.

I'm looking hard at him at 1.6 in a one player keeper league.When I take into account who is getting kept and who I believe will go ahead of me, I think I'll be looking at CEH, or the WR tier of Hill, Hopkins or Julio. Julio is tempting,  but I think of CEH as the ultimate lottery ticket this year.
He's not really a single lottery ticket. At his price, he's more like having to pay up front for over half of all the lottery tickets and hope one of the tickets hits. 

That said, I hope he does succeed and reward all those that drafted him early. 

Landed the #5 pick in a PPR league. Hadn't really considered him and had been focused on D. Cook, maybe D. Henry.

Hype machine is moving 1000mph here, but I don't see many out there disagreeing that this guy could be a top 5 PPR back.

Hell...ESPN "experts" are debating CMC vs CEL for #1 now. Jeesh. This escalated quickly.

I have about a dozen FPC teams and have zero shares of him. Even from drafts that took place before D Will opted out. I just like other guys in the range he was going better. Even more now that he is firmly in the 1st round. I do believe he will excel in KC, though, and as a rookie. 

JoeJoe88 said:
That is absurd to me. 
Me too. I can entertain a battle of do you take CMC or Barkley or even Thomas there, but not that. 

That said, in this offense, if CEH hits, 15 to 20 TD upside isn't out of the question. In year 2 or 3. So this time next year maybe 1.01 is a legit debate. 

I've been saying things similar to you. The counter-argument is what he did on tape in the SEC against grown men and his BMI given his size. That, some people argue, is what you need to look at. I'm not unconvinced he'll break tackles -- he's built like a truck. But will he be quick enough in space to truly be pro effective? Reports out of camp are good. I personally will bypass him in redraft and let others reap the benefits should he prove to be RB6 or RB7. 
I tend to be guided in my redraft by a few experts (not specifying the ones I trust, league mates, you know) and they have CEH rated highly, in the back end of the first round. That's where I am, so I'm intrigued. My own take him on him was similar to this, that he'll struggle to adjust to the NFL a bit, especially with no OTAs etc., but I wonder if even if used mainly as a receiving back he'll justify a selection as the 7th or 8th RB off the board?  (I find it hard to put him ahead of CMac, Zeke, Saq, AK, Henry)

Last year in LA for example:

Gordon:  rush: 162   612    8          pass:     42     296    2

Ekeler:  rush:  132     557      3       Pass: 92   993    9

That placed Ekeler as the PPR 4th RB, and I can't help but think that the KC offense could create something similar for a smallish guy with good speed and great elusiveness coming out of their backfield?  I guess the question is how many receptions he earns on that talented team?  In 2017 Kareem Hunt earned 53 for 455 and 4TDs, but he rushed for 1,327 yds that year as a rookie.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tend to be guided in my redraft by a few experts (not specifying the ones I trust, league mates, you know) and they have CEH rated highly, in the back end of the first round. That's where I am, so I'm intrigued. My own take him on him was similar to this, that he'll struggle to adjust to the NFL a bit, especially with no OTAs etc., but I wonder if even if used mainly as a receiving back he'll justify a selection as the 7th or 8th RB off the board?  (I find it hard to put him ahead of CMac, Zeke, Saq, AK, Henry)

Last year in LA for example:

Gordon:  rush: 162   612    8          pass:     42     296    2

Ekeler:  rush:  132     557      3       Pass: 92   993    9

That placed Ekeler as the PPR 4th RB, and I can't help but think that the KC offense could create something similar for a smallish guy with good speed and great elusiveness coming out of their backfield?  I guess the question is how many receptions he earns on that talented team?  In 2017 Kareem Hunt earned 53 for 455 and 4TDs, but he rushed for 1,327 yds that year as a rookie.
I don't think you're wrong at all. I'm just not sure enough about his role given there are no preseason games to use a first rounder on him. I just did a draft where he went the pick before my eleventh, so it was moot, but I would have passed regardless. Fortune favors the bold, though. Good luck. 

I don't think you're wrong at all. I'm just not sure enough about his role given there are no preseason games to use a first rounder on him. I just did a draft where he went the pick before my eleventh, so it was moot, but I would have passed regardless. Fortune favors the bold, though. Good luck. 
Rock, I respect your opinions a ton (I've been guided to pick up a few WRs ahead of adp in drafts based on your thoughts, and I've benefited greatly) so I'm interested. Where WOULD you take him?  At #11 it seems to me that if you DID take him you'd end up in a similar spot to taking him in the second round, as you'd only probably miss on some combo of Jones/Sanders/Mixon etc.  So clearly you wouldn't take him early second either.  Late second?  Obviously you're not getting him there, but where do you rate him?  Back in 2017 I gambled on Hunt early third (he was getting a lot of late hype) and in retrospect he was worth a first-round pick.  I agree, these rookie selections are real head-scratchers, but the situation seems to be perfect. 

Rock, I respect your opinions a ton (I've been guided to pick up a few WRs ahead of adp in drafts based on your thoughts, and I've benefited greatly) so I'm interested. Where WOULD you take him?  At #11 it seems to me that if you DID take him you'd end up in a similar spot to taking him in the second round, as you'd only probably miss on some combo of Jones/Sanders/Mixon etc.  So clearly you wouldn't take him early second either.  Late second?  Obviously you're not getting him there, but where do you rate him?  Back in 2017 I gambled on Hunt early third (he was getting a lot of late hype) and in retrospect he was worth a first-round pick.  I agree, these rookie selections are real head-scratchers, but the situation seems to be perfect. 
Thanks, man, for the kind words. I don't know where I'd take him. I could likely always find a back to justify over him. My own personal bias is against CEH's whole package, but as people have pointed out, I may really be missing something. The Super Bowl Champs think so. So I'll allow for the possibility that I could be dead wrong and I should say that I really like the video of him at LSU and have always been torn, because the highlights are great, but his measurements aren't. But people then tell me I'm focused on the wrong measurements, and it comes from people whose opinion I also respect, so I've just removed myself from giving any advice about CEH. It's a touchstone for me, and I may really be wrong given the pushback to my opinions. He's a got a really reasonable BMI and a very good burst score, two things that people think (I'm not sure how much they actually do) predict success more than his speed score will, which is based on weight and 40 time. 

Great you've gotten something from what I write. I'm a dilettante at best, so that's very cool. I'm really always going to be a n00b at this, and that's fine. I love it. 

CEH is a first-rounder on a dynamic offense. His situation is awesome. What Andy Reid does with it is unknown to me, and I'd pass in redraft and indeed traded out of the 1.01 in dynasty to get more picks to use on, you guessed it, other receivers. But his value is sky high in dynasty and redraft, so that may have been a mistake.

In short, TL;DR, don't listen to me on this. I should be out on a limb by myself with it. 

I generally start from a slightly bearish perspective when it comes to players in new and "perfect" situations. Great/experienced players rarely dropship into new teams without skipping a beat so drafting a rookie where anything less than Cook/Kamara numbers will be a disappointment isn't something I would do. I could see the back end of the first round if I'm feeling frisky.

More Football Outsiders (they of the beloved speed score), this time describing Helaire's BMI.

"Clyde Edwards-Helaire (31.8) [doesn't] alarm me as much as fill me with questions.

It's no mystery why Edwards-Helaire is a first-round fantasy pick this season. He is a decorated pass-catcher. He is a first-round selection of maybe the most fantasy-friendly offense, the Kansas City Chiefs. And after incumbent starter Damien Williams opted out of the season, Edwards-Helaire is left with little apparent competition for touches this season. But I've noticed that Edwards-Helaire is often described as a bowling ball, which for me conjures memories of another 5-foot-7 back, Maurice Jones-Drew, whom I remember as a standout yards-after-contact player. Based on his scouting, Edwards-Helaire isn't that. He relies instead on his vision, his quickness, and his hands. NFL backs can certainly succeed with those defining traits, but Edwards-Helaire tested slow with a 4.60-second combine 40 time and didn't try the shuttle or 3-cone drills that could have confirmed his quickness. I won't advise you to avoid him in your first rounds, but you should consider following his selection with either Darrel Williams or Darwin Thompson as a handcuff in the late rounds, assuming their pecking order is clarified before your draft date."

I think the latest he goes and where I'd WANT to take him is late first early second. Probably after Miles Sanders.

After that, there are so many backs with questions anyway -- Mixon,  Drake, Ekeler, Jones, Chubb, Jacobs -- why not. 

I think the latest he goes and where I'd WANT to take him is late first early second. Probably after Miles Sanders.

After that, there are so many backs with questions anyway -- Mixon,  Drake, Ekeler, Jones, Chubb, Jacobs -- why not. 
Agreed, and really all backs have questions. Sanders has never done it for a full year. Henry was only RB17 through week 10 last year. Etc etc. 

This guy is really going top-10 in redrafts? Good lord I want him but that’s risky. 

Considering what Hunt did in that offense his rookie year, not sure how he is riskier than some of the other RBs there.
David Johnson had a pretty good rookie season in Arians’ offense. Would you draft Vaughn as a top 8 RB if Jones got hurt? 

David Johnson had a pretty good rookie season in Arians’ offense. Would you draft Vaughn as a top 8 RB if Jones got hurt? 
Right, because a 1st round pick that is going to be a workhorse back for a top offense, and catch a ton of passes, should be compared to a 4th string RB that will barely see the field. 

Whoa, I agree with this particular, but a lot of people would draft him that high, actually. And did. I can say with a good deal of certainty that I wouldn't with Vaughn because he was never that impressive in highlights (what we call "film"). But situation does play a role, doesn't it? I mean it deterred me from D'Andre Swift because I didn't think the talent outweighed the situation necessarily and you want rookie backs to hit and hit quickly in terms of fantasy effectiveness these days.

Right, because a 1st round pick that is going to be a workhorse back for a top offense, and catch a ton of passes, should be compared to a 4th string RB that will barely see the field. 
Are you suggesting a rb drafted in the 3rd round can’t finish as a RB1?

the point is a rookie is risky no matter who it is and where they are drafted. Kareem Hunt was a day 2, 3-4th string RB we thought would barely see the field, and how did he do? 

No, and I don't see the relevance.
Well, you say CEH isn’t risky because a rookie rb had previous success in the offense. I gave you a second example but you say no to that one. Just seeing if you are consistent in your reasoning. 

Are you suggesting a rb drafted in the 3rd round can’t finish as a RB1?

the point is a rookie is risky no matter who it is and where they are drafted. Kareem Hunt was a day 2, 3-4th string RB we thought would barely see the field, and how did he do? 
I’m suggesting that Vaughn is currently the 4th string RB in Tampa and will likely be inactive on game days, so it was a poor comparison. 

Well, you say CEH isn’t risky because a rookie rb had previous success in the offense. I gave you a second example but you say no to that one. Just seeing if you are consistent in your reasoning. 
I never said he isn't risky.  I said he's  no more risky than the other backs in tier, and is in the right offense to flourish.   Based on RB production Reid offers in his offense, the upside is there.  I mentioned Hunt because he's a prime example of what can happen in the situation CEH has himself in.  Whether Philly or KC, Reid has been able to have great FF production from almost every back who's been inserted into the starting role.  The comparison you made isn't the same situation.  Different coaches with one have much more success producing what CEH is being drafted for.  CEH is a 1st rd pick with no competition.  Vaughn isn't of the same talent and is in a completely different situation.  No, I wouldn't draft Vaughn in the top 10 if Jones went down.  McCoy is there as well.  I was lucky enough to get Hunt in the 3rd rd his rookie year as my RB1, and my gamble paid off.  I took CEH in my money league last week at pick 8 and couldn't be more excited about it.  I had 3 of the 4 people picking behind me cussing because of it.  

Kareem Hunt was in the same situation as Vaughn and he was offered as an example why CEH isn’t risky 
I don't see their situations as the same.  Vaughn has at least 2 RBs ahead of him if not 3.  Hunt only had 1, and if memory serves me correctly, Spencer Ware didn't exactly have the starting job locked up.

Just traded down from 1.05 to 1.08 in a PPR redraft so I could grab CEH. Like him over Cook, Henry and anyone else after the  big 3. 
I was afraid I out smarted myself, but was stoked to be able to swoop him up at 1.08 today after Henry (1.05), Cook (1.06) and Thomas (1.07). 

I was happy to get him at 7 in a $100 fairly competitive full PPR league last night. I immediately started trash talking that he should've gone 2nd overall and was surprised how luke-warm other managers were toward him. I wouldn't be shocked to see him last until 8-10 in non-expert leagues.

I passed on him at 7 in PPR for Tyreek. I just can’t trust a rookie pass protecting for a legendary QB that high. He ended up going at 10. 

I passed on him at 7 in PPR for Tyreek. I just can’t trust a rookie pass protecting for a legendary QB that high. He ended up going at 10. 
Have your read this thread about how little he will likely be asked to do that?  How little the chiefs had rbs in passpro last yr? 

Are you thinking that changes? 

I can see thinking he may just not be good.   But it looks like the pass pro concerns are overblown.

Have the 1.05 in a dynasty superflex startup. Guessing the 1st 4 are a combination CMac, Barkley, Lamar, Mahomes. Seriously thinking of taking the kid over Zeke and Dalvin.

Drew the 5th pick in a PPR redraft. I am very much thinking of grabbing him. 

First of all, those drafting Henry (especially in a PPR) are going to be disappointed. That is my opinion.

1.1 CMC

1.2 Barkley

1.3 Zeke

1.4 Cook / Kamara?

Cook and Kamara both upset with their contracts. Cook has the injury concern. Kamara has Thomas, Sanders and Cook to share with. Both have quality backups.

Then you have CEH. #1 offense in football. Coach who loves to feed his RB's. As many have said, Hunt thrived in this exact situation and he wasn't even a 1st round selection. 

I am very tempted to grab him at 5. 

I took him in ppr at 1.6 ahead of cook and henry I dont get why people say he risky but cook isnt and he's played like 29 games in 3 seasons and Henry last yr in ppr wasn't even a top 10 rb in 1st 10 wks I'm all in on CEH believe in andy Reid,  mahomes and 1st rd draft capital 

I took him in ppr at 1.6 ahead of cook and henry I dont get why people say he risky but cook isnt and he's played like 29 games in 3 seasons and Henry last yr in ppr wasn't even a top 10 rb in 1st 10 wks I'm all in on CEH believe in andy Reid,  mahomes and 1st rd draft capital 
Tannehill didn’t take over until week 7. Decent QB play made all the difference in Henry’s stats. I don’t think they will be as efficient as last year. I do like CEH but to argue Henry wasn’t a top 10 RB the first 10 weeks is a weak one 

Drew the 5th pick in a PPR redraft. I am very much thinking of grabbing him. 

First of all, those drafting Henry (especially in a PPR) are going to be disappointed. That is my opinion.

1.1 CMC

1.2 Barkley

1.3 Zeke

1.4 Cook / Kamara?

Cook and Kamara both upset with their contracts. Cook has the injury concern. Kamara has Thomas, Sanders and Cook to share with. Both have quality backups.

Then you have CEH. #1 offense in football. Coach who loves to feed his RB's. As many have said, Hunt thrived in this exact situation and he wasn't even a 1st round selection. 

I am very tempted to grab him at 5. 
I'm in the same slot and was mulling Cook/Kamara, but now I'm leery. 

I think Henry will regress a little, but not so much that he shouldn't be considered here.

CEL is just a big swing for the fence at #5. Doesn't feel "safe." Going to be thinking about this one for the next week.

I think Henry will regress a little, but not so much that he shouldn't be considered here.

CEL is just a big swing for the fence at #5. Doesn't feel "safe." Going to be thinking about this one for the next week.
Picking him at 5 could be a league winner. I don't play for 2nd. 

Not really a believer (especially at redraft ADP), but I don't want to completely miss the train if it happens so I'm in at 1.06 in the last of my FFPC best ball leagues. Was between him and Cook, and I'd already gone Cook in another league so felt like diversifying. Still have concerns about long speed etc., but he's in line for a ton of work so fingers crossed.  

I'm in the same position in my 0.5 point PPR league. I was not going to take Cook at 4 and now the Kamara contract issue is a concern. To me, Henry seems like the better choice over CEH. Yeah we know Reid feeds his RBs, but let's not forget there are several other mouths to feed there (Hill, Kelce, etc...) plus Darrel Williams, DeAndre Washington and Darwin Thompson are not going to simply fade away. As for Henry, he was the # 3 RB in my league last year. He is a human bowling ball--with zero competition for reps and a lot of talk that he is going to catch more balls out of the backfield this year. I am not saying that CEH isn't a 1st round pick, but to take him over Henry (unless it is a full PPR) seems like more than a bit of a stretch. 

Yeah, same here. Sitting at 5 in a 1/2 PPR and at this point I assume that CMC, Zeke, Barkley and Kamara will be gone (my brother has the 4th pick and I dont think the contract news has him re-thinking Kamara at this point)

I tend to operate under the "you can't win a league in the the first round, but you can lose it" mentality so as much as I believe in CEH's talent and situation, I'm still really hesitant to pull the trigger.

That being said, I have concerns over all the other options as well.

Cook- injury history and contract situation

Henry- lack of receptions and the likelihood of a dip in TD's (IMO)

M. Thomas- I just dont like going WR in the first round, although the fact that we start 3 gives me a little more comfort with locking in an elite guy.

I'm usually willing to reach a little with my 2nd-4th round picks (if there's a guy I REALLY believe in) but my first rounder.....not so much. The pragmatist in me is saying to take Henry and just live with the low ceiling (compared to CEH) high floor situation.  Then maybe I try to jump on someone else (like Taylor) a little earlier if the situation presents itself.

Yeah, same here. Sitting at 5 in a 1/2 PPR and at this point I assume that CMC, Zeke, Barkley and Kamara will be gone (my brother has the 4th pick and I dont think the contract news has him re-thinking Kamara at this point)

I tend to operate under the "you can't win a league in the the first round, but you can lose it" mentality so as much as I believe in CEH's talent and situation, I'm still really hesitant to pull the trigger.

That being said, I have concerns over all the other options as well.

Cook- injury history and contract situation

Henry- lack of receptions and the likelihood of a dip in TD's (IMO)

M. Thomas- I just dont like going WR in the first round, although the fact that we start 3 gives me a little more comfort with locking in an elite guy.

I'm usually willing to reach a little with my 2nd-4th round picks (if there's a guy I REALLY believe in) but my first rounder.....not so much. The pragmatist in me is saying to take Henry and just live with the low ceiling (compared to CEH) high floor situation.  Then maybe I try to jump on someone else (like Taylor) a little earlier if the situation presents itself.
Absolutely thinking the same thing (i.e. reaching for Taylor early in the 3rd at pick # 28). But I am not so sure I would call Henry a "low ceiling" guy. Let's not forget that the Titans were one-dimensional early last year until they dropped Mariota (who could not throw for chit) and went to Tannehill. Now they actually have at least a threat of a passing game--with a developing WR stud in A.J. Brown. If Henry is "low ceiling" then he is as about as much of a "high floor" as you can get. 

Don't get me wrong--after Henry, Kamara and Thomas are picked, then Helaire is absolutely the guy to take. 

Users who are viewing this thread