What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Tony Pollard, TEN (1 Viewer)

I wonder if the play calling is still bad…
No, it’s actually better. 6 catches on 6 targets shows that they are being diverse with him. Not alot of yards but forcing defenses to respect the screens.

I really wish Dallas would just hire a few guys from FBG to handle their offense and get Pollard the plays we deserve.
Dude...enough already. This is a Pollard thread not a general Cowboys thread. You seem to have issues with comments about his role in the offense. Maybe you have Rico or Duece...

Tony Pollard said there is a “night and day difference” with his health now compared to the beginning of the season.

Speaking Thursday, Pollard said he overestimated how far along he was in his rehab from his devastating Jan. 2023 leg break. “You think you’re good. You think you’re all the way back until you’re actually out there making plays, full speed, feeling it. Once you get a feel for it and get your feet under you, then you start to realize, ‘Oh, so I may have lost a little right there.’ But I’m picking it back up.” Pollard continued that he began to feel better around mid-season. Pollard’s efficiency still has not caught up to his pre-2023 marks, but they are encouraging words for the Cowboys, if not necessarily fantasy managers who had a rough go of it after expending premium draft capital on the back. Pollard has a plus Week 16 scoring environment in Sunday’s Dolphins date.

Dowdle is out, so maybe finally a spike week
There may be something to this

Davis is out of callups and would have to be added to the 53. Luepke fumbled last week. Only other option is Vaughn
The problem is they’re going up against one of the best defenses against RBs fantasy-wise. The really frustrating thing watching Dallas is that when they get to the goal line, they are looking to pass 90% of the time. They may throw a token run in every once in a while, but it’s rare.

Dowdle is out, so maybe finally a spike week
There may be something to this

Davis is out of callups and would have to be added to the 53. Luepke fumbled last week. Only other option is Vaughn
The problem is they’re going up against one of the best defenses against RBs fantasy-wise. The really frustrating thing watching Dallas is that when they get to the goal line, they are looking to pass 90% of the time. They may throw a token run in every once in a while, but it’s rare.
And when they do run it, sometimes it’s Dak.

I flipped him for a 1st and 2nd round pick next year in week 8 and i feel pretty good about that. Pretty clear he isn't the long term answer in Dal
Yeah I honestly don't think he has a future ever to be a factor/RB2 type back in fantasy ever again. Dallas is funny that they franchised him off a broken leg.

Nice deal

Micah Parsons hopes Cowboys get 'nasty interior' lineman, would give Tony Pollard 'another shot'

Excerpt:

Amid a weekend that included winning MVP of the NBA Celebrity All-Star Game, the three-time Pro Bowler delved further into the type of player the Cowboys lacked, touched on his own contract status and evaluated Tony Pollard's place as an RB1.

"I would say toward the end of the season Tony Pollard was catching his rhythm again," Parsons said on The Stephen A. Smith Show. "I do think he's an every-down guy. You've got to think, he broke his fibula, tibia, something, that's a catastrophic injury. You're talking about a guy that's really been off from that January, came back Week 1 but he didn't really do a lot. It takes a while to get back into football. He didn't do OTAs. He didn't do minicamp. He kind of did camp a little bit like working through it, getting back into it. You saw him increase, like he even said, 'I'm just now getting back to myself.' I would give Tony Pollard another shot."

Pollard was battling back from a fractured fibula, but he unquestionably lacked his signature zip during his first year as the team's lead back, and he now heads into free agency after a year on the franchise tag.
Despite eclipsing the 1,000-yard rushing mark for a second straight season, totaling 1,005 yards and six touchdowns on the ground, Pollard's yards-per-carry average dropped from 5.2 the year prior to 4.0.

His efficiency also plummeted in the pass game. He caught a career-high 55 passes for a career-low 5.7 yards per reception.
Regardless, Parsons is as confident in the running back's ability to bounce back if he returns to Dallas as he is in knowing the specific type of pieces that would boost the defensive side of the ball, and he shared his opinion with Jones on the latter while speaking together during Super Bowl LVIII.

Ian Hartitz
Lot of talk about Tony Pollard not feeling like himself until Week 11 last season coming back from injury:

Weeks 1-10:
3.9 yards per carry
2.7 yards after contact per carry
7.4% explosive run rate
0.93 yards per route run

Weeks 11-WC:
4 YPC
3 YCO/carry
9% EXP/carry
0.64 YPRR

Ian Hartitz
Lot of talk about Tony Pollard not feeling like himself until Week 11 last season coming back from injury:

Weeks 1-10:
3.9 yards per carry
2.7 yards after contact per carry
7.4% explosive run rate
0.93 yards per route run

Weeks 11-WC:
4 YPC
3 YCO/carry
9% EXP/carry
0.64 YPRR
I've seen several mentions of his post week 10 performance, including that he was the top RB according to PFF during that time. What remains to be seen is if NFL teams will be convinced enough to make him a starter again. My guess is that he's destined back to RBBC where he previously thrived.

I feel like his injury contributed less than the offense changing with the Kellen Moore leaving and McCarthy calling plays. Instead of having more creative usage it seemed like the running game just existed as something to kill time with for Dallas this season. Also think the Dallas OL took a big step back this season as the left side of the line was very good, and the right side was mediocre at best. I'm still a big Pollard believer. I'm not sure I get the narrative that we learned he can't be a full-time RB, as its not like he wore down or anything. He was better down the stretch than he was early.

I feel like his injury contributed less than the offense changing with the Kellen Moore leaving and McCarthy calling plays. Instead of having more creative usage it seemed like the running game just existed as something to kill time with for Dallas this season. Also think the Dallas OL took a big step back this season as the left side of the line was very good, and the right side was mediocre at best. I'm still a big Pollard believer. I'm not sure I get the narrative that we learned he can't be a full-time RB, as its not like he wore down or anything. He was better down the stretch than he was early.
You could be right, but unfortunately it’s not what we think, but what other teams do. And the results are the results. Because it’s such a deep FA RB class, he’s probably going to be passed over for more proven full-time guys.

I feel like his injury contributed less than the offense changing with the Kellen Moore leaving and McCarthy calling plays.

I don't know, man. I think it was both. I know the player is going a bit cover-his-*** mode when he says it was the injury, but Pollard's claim about not being right until about Week Ten or Eleven holds water with me. I think Micah Parsons backed him up on that. Dude broke a leg. This is the NFL.

Some time is needed to heal fully and to look right when you're going against some of the best athletes in the world.

I don't disagree McCarthy ran the offense differently. I just think the injury might have sapped his explosiveness at the beginning of the year.

You could be right, but unfortunately it’s not what we think, but what other teams do. And the results are the results. Because it’s such a deep FA RB class, he’s probably going to be passed over for more proven full-time guys.
I think its highly unlikely Barkley goes anywhere. Jacobs is unlikely as well I think. Henry might but isn't a lock. I think teams will (rightfully) view Pollard over Ekeler (older and coming off a more disappointing year) Swift (injury history, wasn't able to truly separate from Gainwell) and who else? Singletary? Dillon? Moss? Gus? Those guys aren't close to Pollard in my eyes.

Maybe I have a completely wrong view on Henry and he's 100% gone from the Titans, but if not, I think Pollard could be the best RB that actually hits FA.

I feel like his injury contributed less than the offense changing with the Kellen Moore leaving and McCarthy calling plays.

I don't know, man. I think it was both. I know the player is going a bit cover-his-*** mode when he says it was the injury, but Pollard's claim about not being right until about Week Ten or Eleven holds water with me. I think Micah Parsons backed him up on that. Dude broke a leg. This is the NFL.

Some time is needed to heal fully and to look right when you're going against some of the best athletes in the world.

I don't disagree McCarthy ran the offense differently. I just think the injury might have sapped his explosiveness at the beginning of the year.
I didn't mean to infer the injury didn't affect him, just thought the offense changing hurt more. It was absolutely a combination of both.

Didn't Dallas have 3 All Pro Offensive Lineman, and none of them were the center?

I do agree that the running game was basic though and to a degree Pollard was sluggish. I think maybe he was just a 1 hit wonder and that's about the story though IMO.

Didn't Dallas have 3 All Pro Offensive Lineman, and none of them were the center?

I do agree that the running game was basic though and to a degree Pollard was sluggish. I think maybe he was just a 1 hit wonder and that's about the story though IMO.
OL are weirdly (poorly?) judged in my opinion. Zack Martin had the worst season of his career and was a 1st team all-pro. I'd very much argue he wasn't particularly good this season. Terrance Steele was a liability at RT. Biadasz is pretty much the definition of average. Left side pulled their weight though. Tyron Smith is still a top-5 LT when he's healthy, and Tyler Smith is a good young player.

I have a hard time calling Pollard a 1 hit wonder, because what's the 1 hit? He had a career 5.1 YPC average (on 510 carries) going into this past season. He'd been extremely consistent, with an increasing workload by the year, Just think its more that the OL took another step back, the play calling did too, and the recovery from injury all were factors.

I'll throw it out there as what I don't believe to be a hot take, but I'd rather have Tony Pollard than any RB in this rookie class. And I think Pollard will cost at least 3 or 4 million less than last year.

One thing about fantasy football is that you will have defenders to the death of players they are stuck with and can't trade for what you paid. I'm not saying Pollard can't be successful, but it's clear to me it won't be in Dallas. Changing teams isn't always a good thing. I think he's at a crossroads in his career. To be continued.....

I think its highly unlikely Barkley goes anywhere. Jacobs is unlikely as well I think.
I would probably disagree here - certainly possible if neither guy can find more in the open market, but there seems to be enough demand out there with a modest rookie class. And I don't think either one is even considering a home team discount to stay.

One thing about fantasy football is that you will have defenders to the death of players they are stuck with and can't trade for what you paid.

I'll defend Pollard and roster no shares of him in either dynasty league I'm in. In fact, I traded him in one, but I'll still defend him from charges that he really was who he showed last year and that the rest of his career has been a mirage. Somehow Occam's razor is telling me that he was still recovering from a broken leg rather than telling me that he can't handle a starter's workload.

Perhaps he can't, but I don't think last year tells us all that much about him.

One thing about fantasy football is that you will have defenders to the death of players they are stuck with and can't trade for what you paid.

I'll defend Pollard and roster no shares of him in either dynasty league I'm in. In fact, I traded him in one, but I'll still defend him from charges that he really was who he showed last year and that the rest of his career has been a mirage. Somehow Occam's razor is telling me that he was still recovering from a broken leg rather than telling me that he can't handle a starter's workload.

Perhaps he can't, but I don't think last year tells us all that much about him.
I suppose the tell tale will be what an NFL team thinks of thinks of him and how he will be used tin 2024. To be continued.....

Pollard definitely looked quicker and more explosive at the end of the season compared to the beginning of the season. Seems later than week 10 though when I could see it. I owned Pollard in a disappointing redraft season last year and don’t know where I would rank him for ithe upcoming season. Much depends on where he lands and how he is running.

NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reports the Titans agreed to terms with former Cowboys RB Tony Pollard on a three-year, $24 million contract.
KPRC 2 Houston’s Aaron Wilson was first on the scoop with Rapoport later adding the terms of the contract. It’s a good deal for Pollard despite coming off a wildly disappointing season. In his first and only season as the leader of the Dallas backfield, Pollard set career lows in every efficiency measure. He finished the year with 1,005 yards and six scores on 252 carries. The downside of this deal is that it puts Pollard behind a poor offensive line and on an offense that struggled to put up points under Will Levis last year. Pollard will remain a volume-based RB2 with the Titans, though it’s fair to wonder if his most explosive days are behind him at this point.

Bad oline. Bad QB. Bad offense. 1st year head coach. RBBC.

Trade this guy for a first rounder / early second before other people in your league figure this out... people paid good money for Alexander Mattison last season, someone will overpay for this obvious nightmare situation. Find a RB needy team to rip off.

Cowboys was his ceiling, this will be his floor... name one thing better about him being in Tennessee than Dallas...

This has got the stench of miles sanders written all over it...
Its worse actually. At least Miles Sanders had a good year before he signed with Carolina and at the time, it wasn't viewed as an RBBC.

Pollard's coming off a putrid year and has a home-grown guy on the roster competing with him.

Staying far far away.

Never invest too much in RBs, because their shelf life isn’t worth it. Not to mention the other RBBC baggage.

Pollard's coming off a putrid year
He was a top 15-ish RB last year. I don't consider that putrid. Below expectations for sure but it's not like he was RB38. He was still a serviceable RB2 for your lineup.
Fair point. Felt worse than that though.
He ended up that high because he was one of the few guys that played all 17 games (ironic considering most didn't expect him to last a full season.) He was RB23 in PPG so barely a RB2 (in my leagues scoring)

May have been stung by his fantasy playoff performance too where he was RB47 through weeks 15-17.

Still another back coming. Callahan prefers Sharpe and Pollard because he said the D doesn't know what's coming.
But he's said twice now that they need a thumper.
There's a few in the draft that won't necessarily go early so everyone seems like an easy projection.
He has mentioned Chestnut and how well the org talks of him and he looks on tape.
No one has mentioned Haskins since his arrest and being placed on IR. I'm starting to wonder if they're paying him to stay home or what their lawyers advise with him

I don't trust the share in FF until....what round? What's a reasonable round you'd select him in?

I don't trust the share in FF until....what round? What's a reasonable round you'd select him in?
I'd happily take Pollard as an RB3. His 2023 wasn't nearly as bad as people act like it was. It was disappointing sure, but people are talking like he was a bum or something.

Early ranks have him in rounds 7-9 and I think that's a very reasonable area.

Never invest too much in RBs, because their shelf life isn’t worth it. Not to mention the other RBBC baggage.
Until you need a running back. :)
It’s really hard to win without a complete stable of them.
I'm not so sure that is true any longer. It helps to have them in start 2RB minimum leagues, but a lot of leagues are going toward a more flexible starting lineup. I'm in several that have a start 1RB minimum.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread