What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Records for Teams the Week After Scoring 40 points in the Playoffs Since 2000 (1 Viewer)

Anarchy99

Footballguy
After the Bills throttled the Pats last night (and America rejoiced), I was curious how teams that scored 40 points in a playoff game fared after that. I found that there were 26 such games since the 2000 season:

- It's happened 8 times in wild card games. Those teams went on to go 1-7 in the divisional round. The one team that won lost in the conference championship.
- It's happened 12 times in the divisional round. Seven of the 12 winners advanced to the conference championship, Oddly enough, all 7 of them won those games as well to advance to the SB. Those teams went 5-2 in the Super Bowl.
- It's happened 6 times in conference championships, and those teams went 2-4 in the Super Bowl.
- Overall, teams went 10-16 the following game (9-9 for games in the divisional round or later)
- For teams that scored 40+ in the wild card or divisional rounds, if they did win the following game, 7 of the 8 teams went to the SB.
- The last team to hang 40 in a wild card game and win the SB was the 1997 Broncos.

The Bills will face their version of the irresistible force (if they win, 7 out of 8 times that team won again) vs. the immovable object (wild card winners are 1-7 the following week). If recent history holds, the Bills will either lose next week - OR - they will win next week AND get to the SB as well.

. If recent history holds, the Bills will either lose next week - OR - they will win next week AND get to the SB as well.

Interesting stuff. 
I’m sticking with “neither”. 
beat the chiefs and lose to Tennessee. 

I wonder if the opponent’s score in those games has any correlation to future success? In other words, did some teams have higher scores because they had a lousy defense and were involved in a shootout and their lousy defense caught up to them the next week?

It wouldn’t surprise me if margin of victory has some predictive effect since a larger margin of victory would indicate a more complete team. Though 26 games isn’t a huge sample size so who knows.

I wonder if the opponent’s score in those games has any correlation to future success? In other words, did some teams have higher scores because they had a lousy defense and were involved in a shootout and their lousy defense caught up to them the next week?

It wouldn’t surprise me if margin of victory has some predictive effect since a larger margin of victory would indicate a more complete team. Though 26 games isn’t a huge sample size so who knows.
Teams with a margin of victory of 30 points or more went 4-4 the next game. Teams that won by 10 or fewer points were 0-4.

Users who are viewing this thread