What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recruiting MB members to compete against staff (1 Viewer)

David Dodds

Administrator
I need 4 people to fill out a Survivor style (24 rounds, no trades, no free agent pickups, no setting of lineups, highest scoring players used) Auction league that uses WCOFF scoring. The other 8 spots are filled by staff members. The goal of this auction doesn't end with just the event. The participants will be asked about the team's they have constructed (with the goal of generating auction strategy discussions on the boards).

The auction will be conducted this Sunday, August 19th at 4pm PT using software at Fantasy Auctioneer.

Everyone selected to participate will receive $50 for answering pre-auction and post-auction questions. These will not be revealed until after the auction has taken place. The post-auction questions will examine picks made, rate other's teams, etc). Post auction questions will be due 4 days after the auction.

Additionally, we will reward these prizes for this league:

1st Place = $150

2nd Place = $100

3rd Place = $50

4th Place = $40

Here is how I am going to run this:

Please post JUST ONCE in this thread (you can continuously edit your one post) on why you should be selected. This isn't a first-come situation. Posters with experience in auctions, good writers, frequent posters, etc have a greater chance of getting selected. I will select 4 people from the submissions by 8am PT on Wednesday. I will then send out full rules, login info at fantasyauctioneer, and pre-auction questions. This content will be released as FREE content on the website.

Here are the staff that will be in the auction: David Dodds, Chris Smith, Andy Hicks, Clayton Gray, Jeff Pasquino, Jeff Haseley, Chase Stuart, and Aaron Rudnicki

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be willing to give it a try. I have only done one auction league in my fantasy tenure, but I have been playing FF for over 10 years. I have done salary cap, IDP, etc., just haven't had a whole lot of experience with auction leagues. I have been a commissioner or co-commissioner of at least one league each year for about 6 of the last 10 years. So if you are wanting maybe a 'wildcard' in the group with a bunch of auction sharks, I'm your man! You won't find a more active member. I live and breathe this stuff! :shrug: I also consider myself to be a decent writer (good English and grammar skills).

I've only been playing FF for four years now, and I have zero experience with auctions.

Now I admit, on the surface, I seem grossly under-qualified. And, well, that's because I am. It's not that I don't know how an auction draft works, it's just that I've never been in one before. However, as the commissioner for all three years of my main league's tenure (this is our fourth), I have taken the championship once, taken second once, and taken third once. My leaguemates are, for the most part, very knowledgable and several visit this board daily. The picture I'm trying to paint here is one of irrefutable, intimate knowledge of fantasy football. Allow me to illustrate...

Fade in, from black. I'm sitting at my desk. The curtains cover the window but faint rat-tat-tappings on the pane can be heard. Rain. All lights but the small, black lamp on my desk are dimmed. One hand on my forehead, one clutching a dulled pencil sharpened down to the last nub, I'm penning my masterwork. There's a can of Red Bull on the desk. The camera pans down to find numerous opened, empty cans littering the floor. A veritable Red Bull boneyard. A flash of lightning illuminates the room and magazines, worksheets, graphs, tables, and various other FF paraphenalia can be seen strewn all over. As the flash subsides and thunder rolls, a sinister grin comes across my face. My hand releases its death grip on the worn pencil. I stand up, notebook in hand. A triumphant guffaw issues from the depths of my under-nourished belly. I've done it. I've got the perfect rankings. The perfect mocks. The perfect draft strategy. I can't be beaten. It won't happen. I WILL be the champion, my friends.

But seriously this year, as I do every year, I spent about 20-25 hours researching and preparing for my draft (from the 3 spot) minus the services of FBG (sorry) and when we got into the draft room, the order was completely switched around and I was picking 6th. Totally devoid of any preparation and going with my gut, I think I pulled off a championship caliber team*. What I'm trying to say is that I'm good under pressure and have great knowledge of the players and situations I may end up in.

I'm versatile. I'm familiar with any kind of scoring or lineup set-up that might be in place. Looking over the settings for this league, I see nothing I haven't encountered before (other than the whole auction thing). I've done salary cap, rotisserie, H2H, IDP, PPR, and any other acronym you can think of.

I'm not gonna bring out stats or previous draft records or anything like that because frankly, that seems a little excessive. In lieu of stats, however, I have prepared a song, which is definitely less excessive...

Okay, there's no song. I hope creativity isn't what you're looking for.

But if you are looking for a quick learner who spends literally his entire work day on these forums and already has a vast reservoir of knowledge, I'm your man. I'll have a lot of fun answering the questions and giving you guys some great insight and info to use as you see fit in your free content section

Damnit I love this game, and I'm here to win.

Thank you for any consideration you give me.

SR

*Somewhat shamefully, this was documented in the AC topic I started entitled "Grade My Team?"

Why should I be in? I’ve been playing FF for 12 years now, been a commish in at least 1 league for each of those years. Even with the help of FBG, I do my own projections and create my own auction values based on prior year’s tendencies in my league and positional percentages. I have a lot of experience using Fantasy Auctioneer, as I usually do at least 10-15 mock auctions to prepare for my auctions each year.

I also have experience in this sort of system you might say as I was part of a 12 team league run by our city (of 140,000) newspaper (we had to write to gain entry into that league as well) where we had to write about player selections right after our draft for the paper and also about start/bench and pickups throughout the year. I’m a high school math teacher, but I’ve always been told I communicate well enough to be an English teacher, so I guess I can explain myself well.

The last and most important point is that I win. Not that I keep track, but since starting in FF in 1995, I have participated in 44 league seasons, winning 19 regular season titles and 10 bowl games. I would love the opportunity to compete against some of the guys here on FBG to show I can play with the best.

I should be selected for all the reasons that I have stated year after year for staff/MB leagues.

Unfortunately though, despite numerous essays, haikus, answering questions, etc, I have never been selected.

I'd love the opportunity to compete against the staffers.

I've played this game for 15+ years. I will be competing in the NFFC $650 Auction this year on 7/31 as well as the $1300 Main Event and would want to test my skills against others in a WCOFF format as well.

I also own my own FF site which has a link on FBGs. Furthermore, I started a topic that was pinned for nearly 4 months asking for "What 1 thing would you like to see next year added to FBGs" I think some good stuff came from that thread.

If I'm not selected, good luck to those who are!

I've been playing fantasy football and participating in auction leagues since 1988 (our first league was an auction where you paid the real dollars you bid, Barry Sanders for 22$ (his rookie season) and Louis Lipps for $1 led my $34 dollar team to 2nd place where the average team spent nearly $700). Through the years, I've played in multiple auction leagues, doing very well. IN WCOFF auction leagues, I've finished in the money every year winning twice. This contrasts with how I do in traditional snake leagues, where I have been middle of the pack, 2 money's, no championships in 4 years. These results suggest that there is something unique about my auction style that produces excellent results. My strategies for auction differ from others here (though I use DD as a necessary part) as does my prep work. I've posted about this before: http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index...ction&st=50

I believe auctions are the fairest and most democratic way to play fantasy football. You buy the players you believe in, not dependent on the luck of the draw for LT. It also tests your abilities to a greater degree. Its easy to say LT will be better than Steven Jackson, the question is how much better and auction drafts provide these answers. I also believe there is a greater amount of gamesmanship and strategy in auction than serpentine drafts.

Writing Style: I have multiple publications (though none in fantasy football) and edit a professional newsletter. Tends to be more succinct and logic driven then flowery prose.

BTW this is about the challenge of playing against the best, any fees or winnings will be donated to charity

IN

The top ten reasons why Otis should be selected:

10. I'm a consistent three-digiter.

9. :wall:

8. Dodds owes it to me after delivering outrageously bad beats twice in a row in heads-up SNGs at 8 o'clock in the morning approximately two years ago.

7. I can drink Chase under the table.

6. Repeat champion in multiple fantasy leagues. If I put all my championships in my sig, Joe would have to spin off an Otisguys.com board just to fit my sig. Otis is just that good at this stuff.

5. I once drunk dialed Rudnicki's cell phone.

4. Shtick potential.

3. I'm a former writer at Fantasy Asylum and penned an article on Anquan Boldin before Anquan Boldin was Anquan Boldin.

2. Staunch supporter and loyal customer of Bryant Boats and Boating Equipment.

and the number 1 reason Otis should be selected....

1. The Frank Gore Call.

I should be selected because I havnt been selected for any of the other Staff vs MB events

Glad to see auctions are getting more coverage, or maybe it just seems that way to me.

I converted a league I started about 8 years ago to auction with three keepers last year and everyone loved it.

My other league that has been around for about 12 years is moving to auction for the first time this year.

It seems to be catching on and deserves more coverage like this.

Unfortunately, one of the auctions will go off before this one (earlier that day) so it won't help me there.

My other is the following weekend (using Fantasy Auctioneer) so hoping you get the results and analysis out next week.

Is there any way that observers can view your auction while it’s in progress? Would like to see how the pros do it.

In any case, I would also like to throw my hat into the ring to be considered for one of the four message board spots.

I have been involved in fantasy football for about 10 years now.

I commish 3 leagues, ages 8 (auction/keeper) , 2 (redraft), and 1 (redraft).

I also participate dominate my main league that’s been around for 12 years and going to auction this year.

Gave WCOFF a shot a few years back with surplus poker winnings, discontinued when my son arrived and money started going elsewhere.

I've been a loyal subscriber to Footballguys since the Cheatsheets.net days and have gotten alot out of it.

I'm also pretty good at looking at a rule set and finding ways to maximize advantages within them.

I think between that and my having some experience (but not enough to be set in any old ways) I would be a good contributor.

Would like to participate in this to actually be a part of it and get some experience and feedback in a real "shark" league.

Other Credentials: Back in the day I got a five on my AP english exam so, when necessary, I can write pretty good. ;)

Hoping I can be involved and contribute, but in any case, looking forward to the results and analysis. ;)

I'm not going to say all of these other guys suck. I'm never one to pee in the pool. Let's just keep things positive and say I DON'T suck.

I write real good. My teams do well. I have done auctions (and prefer them). I have commished. I have been around since Old' Yeller. I often have opinions other people don't have. I was a member of the ORIGINAL FBG board-based MBSL and finished 2nd, so I have experience with the survivor format.

Short and sweet.

Edit:

By the way, for the subsequest poster to remain unnamed - I was being facetious with the "I write real good" sentence.

Also, for the curious, when I win the the $150, I will donate $100 to cancer research (Komen), and will use the reamining $50 to "make it rain".

I have never played in an auction league before. I started a league seven years ago with IDPs with a scoring system loosely based on the Sandbox game from the late '90's. I don't post a whole lot but I am a voracious reader. If I had questions to answer I have absolute confidence I can respond in an entertaining, lucid, and informative manner. I would love a chance to compete with some of you now that I have met two of you in person (at the Heartland Brewerey in NYC at the NFL Draft, D.D. and J.P.). If you would like to see something I have written I did write a draft analysis in my work league. See League Articles from MFL league #24799. My team is Cammino Col Diavolo. I'm in three other leagues but they draft at a later date. If I am chosen to participate I pledge to do my best to make you regret it from a competitive standpoint.

One of my favorite subjects in Fantasy Football is Auction based drafts, and I'm happy to see it getting more visibility on FBG. I've been doing Auction drafts for 4 years now, including online leagues with Unlucky's Phenom's leagues using FantasyAuctioneer two years ago. Auction drafting is about adaptability and budgeting properly. Some owners blow their budget in the first 10 minutes and they have to sit on the sidelines as player after player the covet finds their way to somone elses roster for a bargain. Yet others sit on their wallet looking to dominate the late rounds to pick up steals.

I found the FantasyAuctioneer website left a lot to be desired, which was one of the reasons I didn't do an Auction League with Phenoms' last year.

1. The application lacked a Draft dashboard which included all team's rosters, depth chart, budget remaining by team, much like Draft Dominator.

2. The draft moved too quickly for me to keep up with Draft Dominator and my custom draft budget spreadsheet (45 second clock)

3. Finding the player you wanted was challenging at times. The players were sorted by default (with no override) by name....Why do I have to search down the list to find Larry Johnson? He should be at the top, because everyone’s going to start with him.

Also, the player list should filter out IDP if the league doesn’t support it.

Why would I be a good selection?

1. Experience with Auction Leagues

2. Passionate about the subject, and would love to write up a pre and post draft article on the subject.

3. I'll write up a great critic of the Auction website - still the best auction website out there, but leaving a lot to be desired. Maybe Bruce Henderson can help them as well;)

I'll end by nominating two other MB member who I've noticed over the years who have shown solid knowledge and excellent advice about Auction drafting

BigRed

GregR

I write real good.
:unsure: I'm available.

I was quoted in 5033% of the player spotlights I posted in. I believe I received a B- in my college technical writing course. I only like Smoo because he is a stickler for grammar.

Sorry about being an instigator in that Brett Favre thread last week. My post count dropped dramatically after it was deleted. Sorry for the Portis/Jones debacle, too.

P.S. Do you accept bribes? I'll buy a round at the next Chicago Cornhole!

P.P.S. Will I have to publicize my auction cheatsheet afterwards?

P.P.P.S. When do we find out? I need a minimum 48 hours to prepare for an auction.

P.P.P.P.S. I HAVE 5 STARS!!!!

I'm well-qualified, and I'd love the opportunity to play.

I beat a handful of staff members, over a hundred message board members, and the FBG Cheatsheets by finishing first in the final edition of Falguy's Challenge.

I've been favorably cited by many distinguished message board posters as a strong contributor to political and social discussions, and I've written professionally.

I've been playing fantasy football for 15 years, and my primary two leagues have been conducting auctions for 10 years. I consistently win those leagues.

Thank you for your consideration.

I'm interested in participating. Why I think am a good candidate:

- I am an active poster who can articulate his viewpoints.

- I have experience participating in auctions with the FBG staff. I have always been a reliable participant and have always submitted my questions in a timely manner.

- I have experience with the WCOFF format.

- I will crush you.

Love the contest and want to be in (just hate the boasting/posting part)

Qualifications:

*Veteran WCOFF player with one League Championship and one Top Twenty Overall Finish (15th)

*3rd Place and highest regular season score in WCOFF $10K League last year

*2nd Place NFFC Auction League last year

*3rd Place last year in MB vs Staff Auction League

*Available on the 19th

*Solid resume of writing and fantasy analysis

My friends call me Vince Lombardi , I am Belichick, Cowher and Parcells all wrapped into one. I am a Genius , a Fantasy Football Genius. I know exactly how to put together a team. I know running backs better then most people know there own phone number. I have never drafted a bust, everyone guy on my team is a break out player, there is zero chance I won't continue my dominance in Fantasy football . I can't be beat. I know you all want to beat me. So then Who that is right WHO is going to stop this Juggernaut??? WHO? WHO? WHO? Is it going to be you?

Fire it up. I want in.......

throwing my hat in the ring.

* - experience in WCOFF satellite leagues

* - 3 years of doing message board survivor leagues including this season. prior to this season have been Survivor Champion in 2 out of the 7 leagues I drafted in the past two years.

* message board regular

I write real good.
:confused: Will there be a similar contest with a regular draft format? I would love the opportunity to compete with the staff and do a write-up of the draft - I write a five-part draft review series for my main league every year, where I break down each and every pick. I write technical training documents for a living, and I've been playing fantasy football for over ten years, but sadly I have no auction experience. Yet.

ETA: Holy Schneikes, I was laughing with you, not at you. :)

Also, for an example of my fantasy football writing skills, please see this post.

I've been a contributing FBG member since early 2003. My primary specialty is auction theory and strategy, so this league is definitely of interest to me. A search of my username and "auction" on the FBG site brings up two pages of relevant posts. I have over a decade of FFL experience in multiple auction leagues and formats. As a scientist by training, I also have experience applying statistics, probability theory, and various projection methodologies to auctions. In the past year, I authored an article illustrating significant flaws uncovered during my work with the current VBD auction calculations. This article was published by FBG in 2006, and is a representative sample of my writing and analysis style:

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/2006/0...e_johnson01.php.

Over the past few weeks, I have generated and provided an auction spreadsheet for 2007 incorporating a new one line fit for projections and customizable baseline and settings that is now attached to the end of the original 2006 article. I also submitted an article on owner psychology in an auction setting for the 2007 Guest Article submission process. I am currently assessing the VBD and DD auction tools and options available from FBG in anticipation of improvements for the 2008 season.

It sounds like this league is a chance to improve auctions and help others do better in their leagues. I would like to have that opportunity, provided I can make the auction time....

Why Smack Daddies?

First, I will show up, on time and ready to draft. I will not waste your time and money by dawdling when making picks and when you want input from me, it will be done when and how you want it. I have push email to my Blackberry, which means after the draft I can and will get back to you as soon as I receive an email, whenever and wherever I am.

Second, I have time to participate – while I normally play in four plus leagues every year, this year I am down to two. This gives me the opportunity to add this league and give it the time it deserves.

Third, I have the experience. Historically I have played in four leagues with very different formats – one auction, one dynasty, one IDP and one start two QB/total point’s league. In addition, I have played in a variety of other “one off” type leagues, including survivor and one with 20 teams. I understand what it is to draft to the scoring system. Over the past 14 years of FF, I have won more money they I invest. I am always considered to be a competitor, and in those off years where I am not contending, I still actively manage my team. In addition to FF experience, at 45 years old, I have seen and watched a lot of football and a lot of real life. No middle school tantrums from me.

Fourth, I have historically subscribed to FG – while not the most prolific poster on the boards, I have been around for a while, and invested in FGs.

Finally, I will give my honest opinion – if my team sucks, I say so. If your team doesn’t impress me, I will say that. I won’t, however, denigrate someone because I don’t like them, nor will I go postal on someone. I have managed leagues, and I have been a moderator on other Internet boards. I understand what it means to be temperate. I do write-ups for all my leagues drafts, mid season and final summaries, and they are considered “good reads”.

Negatives – I have a tendency to be more concerned with content than grammar and spelling when it comes to Internet posting, especially if it is being “thumb typed” on the Blackberry. On the positive side, I do write for my job, and can produce polished work. I would consider anything that I did for this project to be as with my job – meaning it gets proofread and spell checked before it goes out to you. A second negative is that I have not played in a lot of survivor type leagues – some, but not many, and not every year. As I have stated however, I have played in virtually every type of league, and I will not be out prepared for this draft.

On the whole, I will be a positive addition to this league, and look forward to participating.

I would like to be in.

- Finished 2nd of 24 in '05 in the MB v. Staff competion

- Finished 4th out of 12 in '06(despite losing my first rounder Portis)

I'm interested in participating. Why I think am a good candidate:- I am an active poster who can articulate his viewpoints. - I have experience participating in auctions with the FBG staff. I have always been a reliable participant and have always submitted my questions in a timely manner.- I have experience with the WCOFF format. - I will crush you.
:lmao: I want to see EBF in.

I'm an annoying #####, and I'm sure you guys would take pleasure in beating me. For this reason alone I should be selected.

I like to get straight to the point.

I've been playing Fantasy Football for 13 years and counting and have been in dozens of leagues with probably most of the old Huddlers (before the mass exodus) as well as sever FBG members. I've been in leagues from 10 man all the way to 20 man.

I've been told I'm one of the best drafters people have seen. I have an instinct about what other drafters will do and rarely misjudge an opponent. Now I'm not saying that all my players turn out to be gold and that I never lose, far from it. I misjudged several players in the past and will do so again. It's the nature of the beast in this hobby. However, I do my own projections and I stick to them.

I also love the Auction format. My main league switched to that a few years ago and we're hooked. The strategy that goes into that kind of league blows away a mere serpentine draft.

As for contributions to the board, well you can find me in most Chicago Bears and Philadelphia Eagles threads. Chicago because they're my favorite team, Philly because they're my hometown team.

I'll wrap it up with this: if you pick me, I'll be a extremely competitive and worthy opponent. I love to play FF and I love writeups in which I explain my thinking and reasoning behing each pick. I'm not quite as verbose as Bob Magaw is ( :lmao: ), but I can get my general line of thinking down pretty concisely.

Thank you for your consideration.....

As a long time lurker and 15 year fantasy vet, it would be awesome to battle the staff!

Been around since the Cheatsheets.net days and have learned what "value" means. Now involved in redraft, dynasty, and auction leagues. A few championships won and many heartbreaking losses, the competitive nature of FF is what keeps it fun.

The goal is to win and hopefully have completely dominated the competition in the process.

This may be the holy grail of FF challenges.

And I'm available on the 19th.

you should invite radballs.

radballs, i apologize if my endorsement for you DQs you from contention.

:lmao:

just a suggestion for next year, instead of people talking about themselves ad nauseum about all of their "accomplishments" in their local yahoo league, you should have people nominate others and base your consideration off of that.

I'd be interested in competing. My main league for the past 6 years (which I commish) is a keep-2 auction league, so I have a lot of experience in that format. I've contributed to numerous Shark Pool threads about auction value and setting VBD baselines for auctions, and I'm currently discussing with Bruce Henderson different ways to peg auction values in the Draft Dominator.

I've participated in the Anarchy leagues for three years now, and I've always done write-ups of my draft thoughts and analysis of the resulting teams. See my posts below:

2007:

My draft

Team analysis

2006:

My draft

Team analysis

CalBear said:
I'd be interested in competing. My main league for the past 6 years (which I commish) is a keep-2 auction league, so I have a lot of experience in that format. I've contributed to numerous Shark Pool threads about auction value and setting VBD baselines for auctions, and I'm currently discussing with Bruce Henderson different ways to peg auction values in the Draft Dominator.

I've participated in the Anarchy leagues for three years now, and I've always done write-ups of my draft thoughts and analysis of the resulting teams. See my posts below:

2007:

My draft

Team analysis

2006:

My draft

Team analysis
Plus CalBear was rock solid in all the Niners threads.

I'll be the first to admit I might lack the 'schtick' factor and I certainly don't carry a 'message-board fave' credential, but I've been lurking around the boards since old-yeller and have been fortunate enough to watch Footballguys.com rise to the top of the FF world.

I helped start and run Footballminds.com in 2006 with a few friends as something we've always wanted to do, and authored weekly content throughout last season (game predictions, rankings, cheatsheets, etc.), including a weekly column titled 'Brain's Bites'. Of course, we were 'one and done' as we felt the burn-out of producing everything ourselves. I love to write, and combining it with my fantasy football passion is natural.

Been playing FF since I was a high school freshman back in 1994. I pushed for an auction draft in both my leagues for years and finally saw it implemented 3 years ago in both leagues. My main money league held our auction draft this past weekend using WCOFF scoring, so I'm already dialed in for another challenge.

I call it as I see it, will defend any and all my selections with thoughtful and sometimes amusing analysis, and while most FBG's are raking in millions and don't need the cash, I'd be happy to do something I LOVE for $50 :bag: with the chance to make a little bit more.

The Fantasy Auctioneer draft software is locked and loaded on my laptop, and I've run through several mock auctions on their site.

I will answer all pre-draft and post-draft questions well before the deadline (I'm used to the deadlines from my time spent writing for Footballminds.com), and the wife has GUARANTEED to be on diaper duty for our 2 year-old for the duration of the draft, so I can't :lmao: for any reason.

Let's do this. :rolleyes:

all the good drafters will be returning from melly's cabin that sunday. you may want to pick another day

does consistently crushing staff members in other leagues count?

I'd love to be included. I'm good at fantasy football and am a gooder writer than other posters in this thread.

PICK ME!

I would like to be in. I enjoy fantasy football. I don't bring a cool nickname, cool chick stories or even a cool avatar. I am just a quiet, silent assassin who has the ability to makes heads roll in fantasy football.

My league converted to Auction format 4 years ago and continues to do so. If I am picked I will be using my auction spreadsheet that recalculates players values during the draft based on the amount spent by each team, the leagues starting requirements and by the available players I have ranked in each tier. I do have experiance with fantasy auctioneer. You will get a detailed response on how I drafted because of the calculated guide to help me out, rather than natural intuition. I would really love to do this draft with yall and it practice for my two drafts sat the 25th, which I am flying up to NY from NC for... Practice makes perfect!

Thanks

Craig

I think you're curious as to how I'd react under a spotlight. You'll never have a better opportunity to find out.

Users who are viewing this thread