What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rep. Steve Scalise, multiple aides shot at Congressional baseball practice (2 Viewers)

Let's just ignore the attempted assassination angle.  Events like the Scalise shooting are extremely rare and a good case can be made that we shouldn't use them as focal points for determining what our everyday norms should be. 

What I'm more concerned about is how the sort of rhetoric employed in the article you cited serves to create general attitude of hate and intolerance toward people on the other side of the political aisle.  The one you linked to happens to come from the political left, but obviously it would be trivially easy to find similar examples from the political right.  The are a very large number of people on both sides who genuinely believe that people who disagree with them are willfully evil, and they are quite vocal about that belief.  It's not just random wackos on social media (although there are a ton of those people).  It's also folks like Sean Hannity and Paul Krugman, who have national platforms from which to spread this kind of stuff.  Even if the name-calling and hate never led to a single act of violence ever, it would still be bad for society.  
Yeah, the article cited is from the old Gawker network which (while I admit to still reading semi-regularly :bag: ) can be about as mean-spirited as it gets.  I like a few of their non-political sites like Gizmodo, io9, and Lifehacker, but Fusion and particularly the unabashedly racist The Root are terrible for discourse.  Toxic stuff quite often.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, please stop.  This kind of event is the result of continual marginalization of a group of people over a prolonged period.

You want poisonous?  How about the relentless drumbeat of how conservatives want to destroy the planet, starve children, kill old people, want to reinstitute slavery, hate certain groups.  That their candidates are nazis and KKK.  It comes directly from the leadership on a national platform and it is a relentless continual assault.

Look at the posts earlier in this thread where a certain poster was putting forth as fact that if you support Trump that you can't be Christian.  That's a perfect example of the outcome of this kind of horrendous philosophy.  It's all done for political purpose and is part of a game plan that the far left follows zealously.  This is Alinski's Rules for Radicals in action - demonize, marginalize, and dismiss.  There is no room for debate.

Well, when you constantly feed your base the notion that one side's political views are evil, you are going to get buy in.  And when people believe that others don't just have a different philosophy and viewpoint, but rather that they are nonhuman embodiments of evil, you are going to get some of those unbalanced believers acting out violently because they believe they have a moral right and duty to do so.

This has been a culture carefully cultivated by the far left.  They didn't create the violent actors, but they did create the atmosphere and ideology where hate of others who think differently is okay because it is moral and ethical.  That provides the impetus and atmosphere for some to act out violently in what they believe to be rightful actions.

Until the left owns and then rejects this kind of hate filled debasing of others with different views, this is going to be the result.

:goodposting:

Oh, please stop.  This kind of event is the result of continual marginalization of a group of people over a prolonged period.

You want poisonous?  How about the relentless drumbeat of how conservatives want to destroy the planet, starve children, kill old people, want to reinstitute slavery, hate certain groups.  That their candidates are nazis and KKK.  It comes directly from the leadership on a national platform and it is a relentless continual assault.

Look at the posts earlier in this thread where a certain poster was putting forth as fact that if you support Trump that you can't be Christian.  That's a perfect example of the outcome of this kind of horrendous philosophy.  It's all done for political purpose and is part of a game plan that the far left follows zealously.  This is Alinski's Rules for Radicals in action - demonize, marginalize, and dismiss.  There is no room for debate.

Well, when you constantly feed your base the notion that one side's political views are evil, you are going to get buy in.  And when people believe that others don't just have a different philosophy and viewpoint, but rather that they are nonhuman embodiments of evil, you are going to get some of those unbalanced believers acting out violently because they believe they have a moral right and duty to do so.

This has been a culture carefully cultivated by the far left.  They didn't create the violent actors, but they did create the atmosphere and ideology where hate of others who think differently is okay because it is moral and ethical.  That provides the impetus and atmosphere for some to act out violently in what they believe to be rightful actions.

Until the left owns and then rejects this kind of hate filled debasing of others with different views, this is going to be the result.
BINGO!!!!!  I GOT BINGO!!!!!

Update on the new era of civility and toned-down political rhetoric in the wake of the GOP baseball shooting:

Glenn Thrush‏Verified account @GlennThrush

The guy who called for Hillary Clinton to be shot last year was invited to Trump's bill signing at the WH today, per pooler @maggieNYT
Al Baldasaro

Pot, kettle, black and all that. We just went through yet another Presidential campaign a few months ago where the Republican candidates for POTUS tried to one up each other in their fear and hate mongering scapegoating of various segments of society. The winner was a guy who hated on Muslims, Mexicans, and women. "Build the wall" was one of the most transparently ugly and hateful slogans ever trotted out by a major political campaign. This attempt to blame liberals for violence in the country is pretty ridiculous. Let's also not forgot during his campaign rallies Donald Trump openly encouraged his supporters to attack his detractors and he would pay for their legal bills. That's insane.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pot, kettle, black and all that. We just went through yet another Presidential campaign a few months ago where the Republican candidates for POTUS tried to one up each other in their fear and hate mongering scapegoating of various segments of society. The winner was a guy who hated on Muslims, Mexicans, and women. "Build the wall" was one of the most transparently ugly and hateful slogans ever trotted out by a major political campaign. This attempt to blame liberals for violence in the country is pretty ridiculous. Let's also not forgot during his campaign rallies Donald Trump openly encouraged his supporters to attack his detractors and he would pay for their legal bills. That's insane.

Good call.  2 years of rhetoric from one *** who both sides regularly take to the woodshed vs 35 years of an entire branch of a party full of Alinski zealots who are gleefully supported by a national media.

Your sense of proportion is astounding.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/christinerousselle/2017/07/26/scalise-improving-n2360300?utm_campaign=townhallcom_twitter&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social

Some happy hump-day news: more than a month after he was shot and nearly killed while at baseball practice for the Congressional Baseball Game, Majority Whip Steve Scalise (R-LA) has been discharged from MedStar Washington Hospital Center and has entered an inpatient rehabilitation program. Scalise was discharged on Tuesday. 

Great to read this today.

Pretty good longread here... How The Congressional Baseball Shooting Didn't Become The Deadliest Political Assassination In American History

It's hard to believe it's been almost a year.  I was hunkered down across the street and down a little bit from the basketball court in the picture about halfway down.

They are back practicing at the same field.  Definitely a different presence this year than the past.  Before the shooting, I didn't even know that they practiced there, despite driving by there around the same time every morning.  There's now a pretty noticeable police presence.  

Pretty good longread here... How The Congressional Baseball Shooting Didn't Become The Deadliest Political Assassination In American History

It's hard to believe it's been almost a year.  I was hunkered down across the street and down a little bit from the basketball court in the picture about halfway down.

They are back practicing at the same field.  Definitely a different presence this year than the past.  Before the shooting, I didn't even know that they practiced there, despite driving by there around the same time every morning.  There's now a pretty noticeable police presence.  
You play basketball?  We have a pretty regular competitive game at the outside court Wednesdays and Saturdays. 

Yikes GB.  What's even harder to believe is that the same representatives don't want sensible gun laws. 

Update:

https://twitter.com/SteveScalise/status/1404923950321344512?s=20

Steve Scalise
@SteveScalise

Unbelievable. Andrew McCabe says the FBI isn't sure why we were attacked playing baseball.

Seriously?

- The gunman came with a list of Republicans
- He verified we were Republicans before shooting
- He was in the Facebook group "Terminate the Republican Party”

A real mystery.
Obviously the gunman was targeting Republicans and had severe mental health issues.  He probably thought he was a patriot and saving the country but who knows for sure when you are talking about a crazy person?

Obviously the gunman was targeting Republicans and had severe mental health issues.  He probably thought he was a patriot and saving the country but who knows for sure when you are talking about a crazy person?
This isn't the FBI's conclusion, so let's not spread misinformation.

This isn't the FBI's conclusion, so let's not spread misinformation.
Not trying to spread misinformation.  I am just saying that aside from targeting Republicans and being a crazy idiot with a gun I am not sure why there was an attack of congressmen at the baseball game either.

Max Power said:
Update:

https://twitter.com/SteveScalise/status/1404923950321344512?s=20

Steve Scalise
@SteveScalise

Unbelievable. Andrew McCabe says the FBI isn't sure why we were attacked playing baseball.

Seriously?

- The gunman came with a list of Republicans
- He verified we were Republicans before shooting
- He was in the Facebook group "Terminate the Republican Party”

A real mystery.
I had to Google Search for a link. According to FoxNews:

"[Garland] did it very carefully by saying the shooting by someone who committed the shooting only after he confirmed that the players were Republicans," McCabe said. "So, I think that reflects at the fact that the FBI still doesn’t exactly know what that shooter was up to. They never really uncovered the sort of detailed evidence that laid out a specific plot or an objective, but it is undeniable that he was targeting Republicans."

Godsbrother said:
Not trying to spread misinformation.  I am just saying that aside from targeting Republicans and being a crazy idiot with a gun I am not sure why there was an attack of congressmen at the baseball game either.
Maybe he hated baseball?? 🤷‍♂️

Seems odd though b/c within 5 minutes of the massage parlor shootings everyone knew that the dude hated the entire worldwide Asian community. 

Maybe he hated baseball?? 🤷‍♂️

Seems odd though b/c within 5 minutes of the massage parlor shootings everyone knew that the dude hated the entire worldwide Asian community. 
Well I think it is pretty obvious the guy hated Republicans.  Do you believe this nut was part of a larger group?

I had to Google Search for a link. According to FoxNews:

"[Garland] did it very carefully by saying the shooting by someone who committed the shooting only after he confirmed that the players were Republicans," McCabe said. "So, I think that reflects at the fact that the FBI still doesn’t exactly know what that shooter was up to. They never really uncovered the sort of detailed evidence that laid out a specific plot or an objective, but it is undeniable that he was targeting Republicans."

its poorly worded from McCabe. The first two lines dont mesh well with the third.

It reads like a story "yeah we know the shooter was targetting black people, but we aren't sure why, so were not going to label this a racist shooting"

I understand Steve's frustration with the issue. 

Godsbrother said:
Most people who do these things anywhere against anyone usually have mental health issues.

Users who are viewing this thread