What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rep. Steve Scalise, multiple aides shot at Congressional baseball practice (1 Viewer)

Pretty crazy.  But that's just one incident.  It's not like the same guy suggested that his opponent, if elected, could be kept from making judicial appointments by "second amendment people." Oh, wait.

Still, though.  It's not like the guy advocated for revolution if someone lost the popular vote but still won the presiden ... oh man. He did that too, didn't he :kicksrock:
True, but it's also not like he had someone as a state campaign co-chair and alternate delegate to the convention who has since been sentenced to prison for 7 years for his role in an armed confrontation with the federal government.  Oh, crap, not again.

It's sure not like the old days when hippies just used to take shrooms and look at their lava lamps all day while listening to Jefferson Airplane. 
Hey, sometimes we went outside and made absolute magic with our Frisbees.  We also played Pink Floyd, the Dead, Hot Tuna, yes, ELP, Traffic, Clapton, and Mahavishnu Orchestra

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, those are pretty terrible.  But what would be worse is if you could get a sitting senator on record joking about murdering another Republican senator.  That'd be something e...

What's that?  We have a clip?

Roll it.

Ok boys, open and shut case.  Looks like we've got the guy responsible for encouraging violence against congressmen.

(Just to be clear, none of this is any justification for someone to go out and shoot anyone...I'm just pointing out the ridiculousness of this finger pointing bull####)

Pretty crazy.  But that's just one incident.  It's not like the same guy suggested that his opponent, if elected, could be kept from making judicial appointments by "second amendment people." Oh, wait.

Still, though.  It's not like the guy advocated for revolution if someone lost the popular vote but still won the presiden ... oh man. He did that too, didn't he :kicksrock:
You guys are usually on the "stop saying the other side does it too, that's stupid"  side...no?

Ahhh, the warm familiar embrace of the partisan divide. Back into the fold.  I'll be here.  Maybe next time.

You guys are usually on the "stop saying the other side does it too, that's stupid"  side...no?
That's the point. The post demanding that "libs condemn this now" is moronic. If conservatives don't feel the need to condemn what their president says, you can't really ask liberals to condemn things that D list celebrity says.

Rockstar and conservative activist Ted Nugent has promised to tone down his hateful political rhetoric on the heels of accused gunman James T. Hodgkinson opening fire on the GOP congressional baseball team in Alexandria, Virginia on Wednesday. Some lawmakers and media members have blamed hateful political rhetoric for the incident.

“I’m not going to engage in that kind of hateful rhetoric anymore,” Nugent said Thursday on “Curtis & Eboni,” a political talk show on WABC Radio in New York.

Curtis Silwa and Fox News host Eboni K. Williams grilled Nugent on “hateful” rhetoric, which the rock star is no stranger to. Nugent has made threats against former President Obama several times in the past, including telling Obama to “suck on my machine gun.” He also made inflammatory remarks about Hillary Clinton, calling her a “devil#####” who “hates everything good about America.”
Oh gee thanks Ted..................

Second amendment people shoot at Trucks with MAGA flags.  No that's just another in a long list of liberals practicing their tolerance on others. 

The Hannity show with 'left wing assassination' is awful, so poisonous.

Republican Mo Brooks of Alabama was on CNN talking about how Congress should be like basketball or baseball where your friend is on the other team, you're all out and competitive on the court but collegial when the game ends. 

Supposedly over a million dollars was raised for charity. Congress needs to do more of this and get their ratings up because this is what people want.

Every village has an idiot. But if every village idiot is connected with the other village's idiots, that's a lot of idiots. 

So this highlights part of the problem in America...

http://fusion.kinja.com/bigoted-homophobe-steve-scalises-life-was-saved-by-a-qu-1796135276

This story could have been about the hero that helped save the life of a politician, but they had to take multiple swipes at the guy. 

Personally, I'm not against articles and websites with an agenda as long as they state the facts correctly. I also don't believe public figures should be beyond reproach just because they get shot. I also respect your right to be offended and boycott Fusion as a future source of news and opinion.

The Hannity show with 'left wing assassination' is awful, so poisonous

Oh, please stop.  This kind of event is the result of continual marginalization of a group of people over a prolonged period.

You want poisonous?  How about the relentless drumbeat of how conservatives want to destroy the planet, starve children, kill old people, want to reinstitute slavery, hate certain groups.  That their candidates are nazis and KKK.  It comes directly from the leadership on a national platform and it is a relentless continual assault.

Look at the posts earlier in this thread where a certain poster was putting forth as fact that if you support Trump that you can't be Christian.  That's a perfect example of the outcome of this kind of horrendous philosophy.  It's all done for political purpose and is part of a game plan that the far left follows zealously.  This is Alinski's Rules for Radicals in action - demonize, marginalize, and dismiss.  There is no room for debate.

Well, when you constantly feed your base the notion that one side's political views are evil, you are going to get buy in.  And when people believe that others don't just have a different philosophy and viewpoint, but rather that they are nonhuman embodiments of evil, you are going to get some of those unbalanced believers acting out violently because they believe they have a moral right and duty to do so.

This has been a culture carefully cultivated by the far left.  They didn't create the violent actors, but they did create the atmosphere and ideology where hate of others who think differently is okay because it is moral and ethical.  That provides the impetus and atmosphere for some to act out violently in what they believe to be rightful actions.

Until the left owns and then rejects this kind of hate filled debasing of others with different views, this is going to be the result.

Oh, please stop.  This kind of event is the result of continual marginalization of a group of people over a prolonged period.

You want poisonous?  How about the relentless drumbeat of how conservatives want to destroy the planet, starve children, kill old people, want to reinstitute slavery, hate certain groups.  That their candidates are nazis and KKK.  It cones directly from the leadership on a national platform and it is a relentless continual assault.

Look at the posts earlier in this thread where a certain poster was putting forth as fact that if you support Trump that you can't be Christian.  That's a perfect example of the outcome of this kind of horrendous philosophy.  It's all done for political purpose and is part of a game plan that the far left follows zealously.  This is Alinski's Rules for Radicals in action - demonize, marginalize, and dismiss.  There is no room for debate.

Well, when you constantly feed your base the notion that one side's political views are evil, you are going to get buy in.  And when people believe that others don't just have a different philosophy and viewpoint, but rather that they are nonhuman embodiments of evil, you are going to get some of those unbalanced believers acting out violently because they believe they have a moral right and duty to do so.

This has been a culture carefully cultivated by the far left.  They didn't create the violent actors, but they did create the atmosphere and ideology where hate of others who think differently is okay because it is moral and ethical.  That provides the impetus and atmosphere for some to act out violently in what they believe to be rightful actions.

Until the left owns and then rejects this kind of hate filled debasing of others with different views, this is going to be the result.
Please address the Hannity issue before delving into other claims. Decrying political divisiveness without addressing a mass accusation against half the political spectrum is contradictory.

>All this hateful political rhetoric is severely damaging and dangerous and by the way the left wing are assassins.<

Got it, thanks.

Please address the Hannity issue before delving into other claims. Decrying political divisiveness without addressing a mass accusation against half the political spectrum is contradictory.

Like I said, if you won't own it and reject it, it will continue.  Deflecting may make you feel better, but it doesn't solve the problem.  We virtually universally reject hate filled groups that are associated with the right - the KKK, nazis, white supremicists, racists.  Why won't the left recognize and reject those groups on their side of the political spectrum?  

Like I said, if you won't own it and reject it, it will continue.  Deflecting may make you feel better, but it doesn't solve the problem.  We virtually universally reject hate filled groups that are associated with the right - the KKK, nazis, white supremicists, racists.  Why won't the left recognize and reject those groups on their side of the political spectrum?  
Would you say ascribing an assassination to a whole political wing is ramping UP violent rhetoric or tamping it down?

Personally, I'm not against articles and websites with an agenda as long as they state the facts correctly. I also don't believe public figures should be beyond reproach just because they get shot. I also respect your right to be offended and boycott Fusion as a future source of news and opinion.
I guess I'm just up for a cooling off period.  I don't know this guy's history.  I've never heard of him until this week.  I only take issue with this media outlet getting close to justifying the shooting.  So this guy had views that others don't agree with, but lets not lead off articles with that.  That is what incites these type of things...

I'm not going to listen to it. I can't stand Hannity.  Please provide a direct quote.
Oh I'm not scared to watch it, this is what he's run with the last two nights: "left wing assassination attempt on GOP lawmakers".

eta - Your comment is odd in light of the fact you criticized my point about Hannity.

I guess I'm just up for a cooling off period.  I don't know this guy's history.  I've never heard of him until this week.  I only take issue with this media outlet getting close to justifying the shooting.  So this guy had views that others don't agree with, but lets not lead off articles with that.  That is what incites these type of things...
Let's just ignore the attempted assassination angle.  Events like the Scalise shooting are extremely rare and a good case can be made that we shouldn't use them as focal points for determining what our everyday norms should be. 

What I'm more concerned about is how the sort of rhetoric employed in the article you cited serves to create general attitude of hate and intolerance toward people on the other side of the political aisle.  The one you linked to happens to come from the political left, but obviously it would be trivially easy to find similar examples from the political right.  The are a very large number of people on both sides who genuinely believe that people who disagree with them are willfully evil, and they are quite vocal about that belief.  It's not just random wackos on social media (although there are a ton of those people).  It's also folks like Sean Hannity and Paul Krugman, who have national platforms from which to spread this kind of stuff.  Even if the name-calling and hate never led to a single act of violence ever, it would still be bad for society.  

Users who are viewing this thread