What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Reports out of St.Louis...Haslett not the guy (1 Viewer)

Technically, interim head coach Jim Haslett and the rest of his staff with the St. Louis Rams weren’t fired, because their contracts had expired after the 2008 season.

Then again, that’s what the Colts told special teams coordinator Russ Purnell.

We’ve confirmed that, indeed, the entire staff in St. Louis has been told that they won’t be returning.
PFT

The Rooney Rule cost Haslett 5-6 million. The Rams wanted to hire him mid-season but were not allowed.

FRAZIER THE FAVORITE IN ST. LOUIS?

Posted by Mike Florio on January 15, 2009, 7:13 p.m.

Now that Jim Haslett is out of the picture to become the non-interim coach of the Rams, the leading candidate to get the job is believed to be Vikings defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier.

Per Adam Schefter of NFLN, the Rams are expected to announce their decision by Saturday, and the guy currently expected to get the job is Frazier.

Frazier would be the second Vikings defensive coordinator in three seasons to become a head coach. In 2007, Mike Tomlin left after one season to become the head coach of the Steelers.

And most Vikings fans would prefer either Tomlin or Frazier to the team’s current head coach.

i believe that haslet/the rams wanted to put a clause in his interim head coach contract that if the team went six and six or better over the final 12 games that haslet would automatically become the permanent head coach. the nfl wouldn't allow this clause because of the rooney rule. the rams went two and ten, though; so the clause would have been mute. it would have been a speechless clause.

i'm kind of glad that haslet isn't getting the job. he was stating his case that he couldn't do much with linehan's team and he could do a lot better if it were "his" team, but "his" defense hasn't improved much since he has been here and continue to get torched on a regular basis.

the rams are a mess and i see no reason for optimism in the near future. i almost wonder about some "major league" (the movie) plot where the team is intentionally horrible so they can move back to L.A. or something.

Last edited by a moderator:
i believe that haslet/the rams wanted to put a clause in his interim head coach contract that if the team went six and six or better over the final 12 games that haslet would automatically become the permanent head coach. the nfl wouldn't allow this clause because of the rooney rule. the rams went two and ten, though; so the clause would have been mute. it would have been a speechless clause.i'm kind of glad that haslet isn't getting the job. he was stating his case that he couldn't do much with linehan's team and he could do a lot better if it were "his" team, but "his" defense hasn't improved much since he has been here and continue to get torched on a regular basis. the rams are a mess and i see no reason for optimism in the near future. i almost wonder about some "major league" (the movie) plot where the team is intentionally horrible so they can move back to L.A. or something.
there is plenty of reason for optimism in the NFL, check out the Falcons and Dolphins after last season. The Rams are still in a weak division in my opinion and can get back to contention quickly.

I would view Haslett's departure as modestly positive for S-Jax owners, as there seemed to be somewhat of a frostly relationship between the two.

Good. As a SJAX owner, i hate Haslett. He put his best player in the doghouse and also put SJAX's future at risk by challenging him to play through injuries in a lost season.

there is plenty of reason for optimism in the NFL, check out the Falcons and Dolphins after last season. The Rams are still in a weak division in my opinion and can get back to contention quickly.
true, there always seems to be a couple teams every year that come out of the woodwork and greatly exceed their low expectations, but i just don't see the rams being one of them. i guess most people don't usually see it coming, though. i hope i'm wrong.

Minnesota fans:

Thoughts on Leslie Frazier? Everything I read about the guy says he's pretty solid.

I would be fine with either him or Spags. Sounds like they don't want to wait on Ryan.

Schefter just reported that Jason Garrett is on a plane to St.Louis.... :goodposting:
I'm willing to give new GM Billy Deveney the benefit of the doubt, but if he passes up Ryan, Frazier, and Spagnuolo for Jason effing Garrett, I'm going to be pissed.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's definetly Garrett to St Loo as DC Brian Stewart was just fired from the Cowboys. Big changes coming in Dallas.

St Louis fans are not happy about this ...not sure why. I thought pretty highly of the guy.

Andy Herron said:
MrPhoenix said:
TheWick said:
Schefter just reported that Jason Garrett is on a plane to St.Louis.... :banned:
I'm willing to give new GM Billy Deveney the benefit of the doubt, but if he passes up Ryan, Frazier, and Spagnuolo for Jason effing Garrett, I'm going to be pissed.
Devaney is the same guy that brought Garrett in for an interview last year at Atlanta. He seems to have a liking for him.
Ok, how do you think Garrett will mesh with Al Saunders?

Andy Herron said:
MrPhoenix said:
TheWick said:
Schefter just reported that Jason Garrett is on a plane to St.Louis.... :excited:
Devaney is the same guy that brought Garrett in for an interview last year at Atlanta. He seems to have a liking for him.
I was simply making an observation. To answer your question, I have no idea.

Andy Herron said:
MrPhoenix said:
TheWick said:
Schefter just reported that Jason Garrett is on a plane to St.Louis.... :excited:
Saunders was let go yesterday, the entire coaching staff was let go.

The Rooney Rule cost Haslett 5-6 million. The Rams wanted to hire him mid-season but were not allowed.
Good thing that bad organizations have things in place to keep them from making a dumb decision. If Haslett was so great they'd be giving him a contract now, but they are not.

Minnesota fans:Thoughts on Leslie Frazier? Everything I read about the guy says he's pretty solid.I would be fine with either him or Spags. Sounds like they don't want to wait on Ryan.
I usually am the one that has Childress' back on this board, but the scene I remember most about Frazier for this year was late in the season (I think it was the Giants' game, but not sure), and they showed the sideline and you saw Frazier explaining a situation that the team was facing to Childress and Frazier had the look of confidence and Childress looked like he didn't know what to do. I think a team will be fortunate to land Frazier - I hope nobody does, as I would like to have him coaching in Minnesota next season and if Childress can't get the job done, then they can promote him.

Andy Herron said:
MrPhoenix said:
TheWick said:
Schefter just reported that Jason Garrett is on a plane to St.Louis.... :clap:
Saunders was let go yesterday, the entire coaching staff was let go.
Only Haslett was let go. From the STLToday.com article about Haslett being let go:
The Rams have only six assistants who remain under contract for the 2009 season: wide receivers coach Henry Ellard, offensive line coach Steve Loney, offensive coordinator Al Saunders, offensive assistant Bob Saunders, quarterbacks coach Terry Shea, and assistant head coach-running backs coach Art Valero.

i don't know much about him but i'm not too excited about garrett. he seems a bit mild mannered to me. i think the rams need a big personality to come in and shake things up. i've heard many criticisms against garrett's gameplans or playcalling, but don't know if they are warranted or not. it makes me wonder if he did have success in dallas because of the talent on the offense and not due to anything that he did. i'm just afraid that garrett will be another linehan.

he probably wouldn't be interested and i'm not totally sold on his coaching ability but i'd love to see gruden come here if only for the sideshow aspect. although he seems to have toned-down his act over the last several years, i think he would inject some much needed enthusiasm into this "fan-base".

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=507864

Posted: January 16, 2009

Sporting News staff reports

Rams believed to be ready to name Cowboys' Jason Garrett their new coach Jason Garrett, offensive coordinator of the Dallas Cowboys, is expected to be named coach of the St. Louis Rams on Saturday.

Garrett was headed to St. Louis on Friday, SN contributor Mike Florio reports on his ProFootballTalk.com website.

"If Garrett is the guy, and if reports that Garrett gave the Cowboys a 'me-or-T.O.' ultimatum are true, it means that the Cowboys have decided to bring back Owens -- at the expense of losing their offensive coordinator," Florio reports.

The Rams said Thursday they wanted to have their coach in place by Saturday.

It was believed the Rams might wait for Baltimore Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan to become available for interview before making a decision. But with the Ravens still in action -- they face the Pittsburgh Steelers in Sunday's AFC championship game Ryan doesn't meet the Rams' time frame. Ryan did have a preliminary interview with the team last weekend.

The move also would apparently KO the chances of Minnesota Vikings defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier from consideration.

However, Frazier and New York Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo were reported to be finalists for the Rams job, the SN Rams correspondent Jim Thomas reports on the St. Louis Post-Dispatch website.

Frazier and Spagnuolo interviewed with the team in Los Angeles this week, and Thomas reports Frazier was the No. 1 choice.

Thomas makes no mention of Garrett is his post, in which he credits multiple sources, including team sources.

The Dallas Morning News reports Owens agent Drew Rosenhaus says his client isn't leaving the Cowboys.

"The reason why they got rid of [Adam "Pacman" Jones] is because Pacman has terrible off-the-field problems, and the guy just simply can't play anymore. He's just not that good," Rosenhaus told the Morning News.

"Terrell's never had off-the-field problems, and he's been one of the greatest players ever. And they just gave him a monster contract. I mean, they just gave him a huge extension before the season. He's not going anywhere."

If Garrett does indeed stick to his guns and Cowboys officials have decided not to dispose of Owens, Garrett would be gone.

The Rams come off their worst season in St. Louis, finishing 2-14 and having fired coach Scott Linehan. They used Jim Haslett as interim coach to finish the season but, despite backing from players, apparently Haslett didn't make the cut for coaching the team full time.

In a Morning News blog, Brian Davis wonders: Would the Cowboys be interested in hiring Jon Gruden, whom the Tampa Bay Buccaneers fired on Friday?

The question is open, and pieces apparently will begin to fall in place if Garrett is hired by the Rams.

In a story for Post-Dispatch, Thomas wrote the following about Garrett:

En route to a 13-3 regular season in 2007, the Cowboys sent seven offensive players to the Pro Bowl. They finished second in the league in scoring, third in total offense and fourth in passing yards. . . .

But there's an old saying about NFL standing for "Not For Long." Things can change in a hurry, and it doesn't apply just to players. Garrett learned this the hard way in 2008, when the Cowboys slipped to 18th in scoring, 13th in total offense and ninth in passing yards. In fact, they slipped right out of the playoff race as one of the NFL's biggest underachievers.

Garrett, 42, already has had head-coaching interviews with Denver and Detroit this offseason. He interviewed with the Rams on Wednesday in Los Angeles. But he doesn't seem to be nearly the hot commodity he was a year ago.

Garrett's detractors say this year's problems in Dallas showed that he simply isn't ready to be a head coach.

His supporters say there wasn't much he could do about them since he wasn't the head coach. Plus, there's a long list of coaches and players that wide receiver Terrell Owens couldn't get along with, be it in San Francisco, Philadelphia or Dallas. . . .

Overall, Garrett's reputation in Dallas is of a coach who stresses communication with the players, so much so that they usually seek him out. He's said to be persuasive in meetings, but in an inclusive sort of way. And no one questions his smarts or his savvy.

Then 2 seconds later I find this...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Garrett arrives in St. Louis for “second interview” with Rams

By Jim Thomas

St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Jason Garrett landed in St. Louis early Friday evening with his wife Brill, and told the Post-Dispatch that he was just here for a second interview and that no job had been offered.

Minutes earlier, en route to the airport, Devaney was singing the same tune.

“It’s part of the interview process,” Devaney insisted. “He wanted to look at the facility. We’re not close to moving on Jason Garrett. I’m not even going to say he’s the leading guy.”

Take that for what it’s worth, but Garrett is the only finalist to visit St. Louis. And he did have his wife with him. Devaney also said that he’d already made his recommendation to owner Chip Rosenbloom on who he wanted to hire as the next Rams head coach.

Devaney said he hoped to reach a decision by Monday on the next Rams head coach.

Garrett and Devaney have a lot in common. They’re both from New Jersey. They’re both big Bruce Springsteen fans, and they’re both represented by the same agent, David Dunn.

Users who are viewing this thread