What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Retro Gaming and collecting vintage Apple Computers 🍏 (1 Viewer)

STEADYMOBBIN 22

Footballguy
Shalomie Homies!

I recently started collecting vintage apple II computers and other video game systems that we had as kids and I thought I’d share for others who might be interested.

Right now I am mostly interested in Apple II and Sega Master System stuff but the prices are getting out of hand and it’s becoming harder and harder to find on the cheap.

Here is a picture of my retro room. I will eventually build a table or shelves to neatly display them.

Anybody else?

Also- If you have any of these system laying around and you want to sell them to me I will pay a fair price.

Currently have :

Apple iiplus
Apple iiplus
Apple iie (non enhanced, rev 1 board)
Apple iigs (Rom1)

Looking for:

Apple //
Apple IIc plus
Sega Mater system
TurboGraphics-16
Gameboy

Last edited:
Retro- brightening

Did you guys know you can take your old yellowed computers and NES’ and put them outside in the sun to restore their original color?

I’ll post a after link of this NES which I’ve owned since 1987.

Retro- brightening

Did you guys know you can take your old yellowed computers and NES’ and put them outside in the sun to restore their original color?

I thought it was the UV in sunlight (and some electric lights) that yellowed the plastic resin. Modern plastics are UV stabilized and do much better in the sun. They will still degrade over time (cracking, whitening, etc) but the color doesn't yellow as much.

Retro- brightening

I thought it was the UV in sunlight (and some electric lights) that yellowed the plastic resin. Modern plastics are UV stabilized and do much better in the sun. They will still degrade over time (cracking, whitening, etc) but the color doesn't yellow as much.

Apparently not. People have been at this process for like 10 years. First they started trying by submerging them in 5-10% peroxide and then they used LED strips and then they figured out the sun works.

I only found out because I was trying to figure out a way to brighten up my stiff because I’m not very good with super delicate parts. If I had to disassemble the keyboard I would likely break stuff. The sun method means I don’t have to do anything but make sure it doesn’t rain.

It has to be REALLY sunny and it can take a few days. Once done, the yellow will slowly come back at roughly the same pace- they’re still trying to figure out exactly what conditions are best to slow the yellowing .

Bought a new (Apple iie platinum) computer over the weekend. Got a good deal but after opening up I know why. My heart sank when I saw on the shipping label that it came from a pawn shop.

Looks like somebody spilled coffee on the inside. I took it apart and cleaned it with alcohol swabs and Q-tips.

If anybody has never seen one- this (top picture after I cleaned it) is essentially what the first home computer looked like. The Apple I was just a circuit board and you had to find your own keyboard and built a box to house it all.

Super cool and fun set up. Lots of good retro channels on YouTube depending on what you’re into. Have you found a good place to download ROMs yet? Some of the really big places seem to have shut down and I’m looking for good rom collections for MAME C64 etc

Years ago I downloaded the AppleWin Apple IIe emulator for Windows. I also downloaded quite a few "dsk" files (ROMs, I'm guessing) for games I played a lot as a kid.

Wizardry was still fun. I play a campaign once every other year or so. I put the Cars Heartbeat City album on to recreate the ambiance from when I played back in the mid 80's. The title track works well with Wizardry.

Carrier Force is still interesting. Germany 85 is still too complex to be worth the bother.

Other games I occasionally briefly revisit include MOBBIN's avatar Karateka, Drol, Bolo, Lode Runner, Aztec, and Zork I. Drol and Bolo were damn good. Fun times.

Super cool and fun set up. Lots of good retro channels on YouTube depending on what you’re into. Have you found a good place to download ROMs yet? Some of the really big places seem to have shut down and I’m looking for good rom collections for MAME C64 etc

I haven’t delved into the commodores yet. I’ve kinda gone nuts on the apple
Stuff so far. I had one as a kid and forbidden Forrest was one of my favorites.

I’ll poke around a few of the other forums and let you know if I see a good link.

Years ago I downloaded the AppleWin Apple IIe emulator for Windows. I also downloaded quite a few "dsk" files (ROMs, I'm guessing) for games I played a lot as a kid.

Wizardry was still fun. I play a campaign once every other year or so. I put the Cars Heartbeat City album on to recreate the ambiance from when I played back in the mid 80's. The title track works well with Wizardry.

Carrier Force is still interesting. Germany 85 is still too complex to be worth the bother.

Other games I occasionally briefly revisit include MOBBIN's avatar Karateka, Drol, Bolo, Lode Runner, Aztec, and Zork I. Drol and Bolo were damn good. Fun times.

There’s a couple of online Apple emulators that run in your web browser even. I don’t have the links on my mobile but they’re out there

Anywhere to play the original Castle Wolfenstein? I used to get chill bumps when it would scream “SS!” at me.

Looking for:

Gameboy

I'll have someone check my storage in Brooklyn. I bought the original Gameboy back when it was released because I thought it would be cool to have when I was traveling for work. I think I played it like five times total. Mostly Tetris. And an NFL football game where you couldn't see a single damn thing. I probably got like 10-15 games for it but only really did Tetris.

If I still have it and it can be found, you can have it. It's probably like new still. If that's the case, should have all the original packaging, booklets, accessories, etc. I don't tend to throw those things away for small electronics like that.

I had my godson's nanny go out and buy countless video game systems/games over the years when he was a kid. No idea what happened to all of them. If they are still around somewhere, you can have them, I don't use them, my godson is not likely to use them ever again. I don't know their condition though. Don't know all the names.

I had someone in my IT department get two PlayStation 5 systems because my godson wanted to play FIFA with me since we live in different states now. Too complicated for me. But he wanted a PS5. The last time I played a game together with the kid was Fallout 3/Fallout New Vegas, which was actually fun. Simple enough for me too. But he was sitting next to me and doing most of the playing.

A client gave me a PS5 as a gift for my godson a little while back. Didn't know we had them already. I think it's in Boston right now. Still in box. Maybe will end up giving it away in my giveaway thread before I leave the forums.

Good luck in your search for a Sega Master System. I'd really like to find one too. WonderBoy in MonsterLand was one of my favorite games and of course Walter Payton Football

Looking for:

Gameboy

I'll have someone check my storage in Brooklyn. I bought the original Gameboy back when it was released because I thought it would be cool to have when I was traveling for work. I think I played it like five times total. Mostly Tetris. And an NFL football game where you couldn't see a single damn thing. I probably got like 10-15 games for it but only really did Tetris.

If I still have it and it can be found, you can have it. It's probably like new still. If that's the case, should have all the original packaging, booklets, accessories, etc. I don't tend to throw those things away for small electronics like that.

I had my godson's nanny go out and buy countless video game systems/games over the years when he was a kid. No idea what happened to all of them. If they are still around somewhere, you can have them, I don't use them, my godson is not likely to use them ever again. I don't know their condition though. Don't know all the names.

I had someone in my IT department get two PlayStation 5 systems because my godson wanted to play FIFA with me since we live in different states now. Too complicated for me. But he wanted a PS5. The last time I played a game together with the kid was Fallout 3/Fallout New Vegas, which was actually fun. Simple enough for me too. But he was sitting next to me and doing most of the playing.

A client gave me a PS5 as a gift for my godson a little while back. Didn't know we had them already. I think it's in Boston right now. Still in box. Maybe will end up giving it away in my giveaway thread before I leave the forums.

Well I certainly appreciate the offer. If you send me anything know I won’t just go out and sell it. I just want to play around with this stuff and soak in the nostalgia.

Thanks GG :thumbup:

You find paper for (what I think is) that ImageWriter II? I'd spool some up and let it print a good 20 minutes a day just to listen to that retro goodness
So I had some and I think the cleaning ladies took it!!!! :hot:

The printer does work!

I’ll post some short videos of these things making the awesome noises you (and I love).

I've got a modest collection of NES and SNES games and assorted hardware. I started collecting maybe a decade ago, but kinda fizzled out over time, I found I wasn't playing the retro games enough. I'm still interested in continuing the collection, but prices are insane now compared to what they used to be, and I haven't been able to justify the costs.

Dang. I thought I had a TurboGrafx-16 and some games stored in a box, but I just realized I sold them four years ago (worth like twice as much now). My memory really stinks.
Speaking of memory, we had an Apple II back in the day. I remember it being a big deal when my older brother added some memory - going from 48k to 64k to basically make it an Apple II+. Loved those old games on that thing.

I've got a modest collection of NES and SNES games and assorted hardware. I started collecting maybe a decade ago, but kinda fizzled out over time, I found I wasn't playing the retro games enough. I'm still interested in continuing the collection, but prices are insane now compared to what they used to be, and I haven't been able to justify the costs.
Built my collection up when I found the speedrunning hobby way back in 2012. Actually tried some speed routes. Quickly came to the realization that I didn't have it in me to practice for that long to be good, they sit on my shelf all proudly displayed but gathering cobwebs.

Agree on counts. Most of the games are never as good as you remember. It’s fun to break them out every couple of years but the novelty wears off fast.

With the small exception of things that are missing from emulation like- the sound the Sega Master System makes when it powers on - emulation makes the need to own all these individual systems obsolete. Feeling nostalgic and want to play an old game? Play an emulated version and in a few minutes you’ll be glad you didn’t go blow $400 on a complete system and games.

With that in mind I am being very selective of what I buy/collect. I don’t want a room full of everything- rather just the select few things that are special to me.

For example, rather than collect every game for each system, I have a couple games that I like for each. This allows me the nostalgia of being able to physically touch and use the systems without having to store everything.

Dang. I thought I had a TurboGrafx-16 and some games stored in a box, but I just realized I sold them four years ago (worth like twice as much now). My memory really stinks.
Speaking of memory, we had an Apple II back in the day. I remember it being a big deal when my older brother added some memory - going from 48k to 64k to basically make it an Apple II+. Loved those old games on that thing.
I have purchased and sold a TurboGrafx 16 four times in my life. Luckily that was 20 years ago or longer.

Had a friend who has a massive collection of NES, SNES and other classic game systems so got the bug a few years ago. Found out pretty quick that prices are pretty ridiculous on original consoles and certain popular games and that was a while ago. Switched to ROMs on the newly updated, mini retro NES/SNES’s. Like others, they just sit under my tv collecting dust until maybe “someday” when I’ll have time to play again.

Agree on counts. Most of the games are never as good as you remember. It’s fun to break them out every couple of years but the novelty wears off fast.

With the small exception of things that are missing from emulation like- the sound the Sega Master System makes when it powers on - emulation makes the need to own all these individual systems obsolete. Feeling nostalgic and want to play an old game? Play an emulated version and in a few minutes you’ll be glad you didn’t go blow $400 on a complete system and games.

With that in mind I am being very selective of what I buy/collect. I don’t want a room full of everything- rather just the select few things that are special to me.

For example, rather than collect every game for each system, I have a couple games that I like for each. This allows me the nostalgia of being able to physically touch and use the systems without having to store everything.
Pretty similar, I grabbed some classic games I really have fond memories of like A Link to the Past for SNES, a couple of GameCube games like Eternal Darkness and the Resident Evil remake. Eventually would like to pickup like an original PS for Metal Gear Solid or an N64 with Goldeye and Conkers Bad Fur Day.

Remakes are such a hot trend the past few years in gaming though that I don’t really need to go back for things like the original Halo or Gears of War when I can play them any time on GamePass. I’m not sure I could go back even further to like the Star Wars games I had on my Apple iie, although I wouldn’t mind giving the original Wolfenstein a try again. I was too young to really know what I was doing back in the day playing that, I just loved them yelling at you in German.

Karateka!
Love it.

My older cousin beat it when we were kids but I never could. Looking forward to playing it when my joystick gets here in a couple of days.

Today I bought a kit that has all the original microchips (made in 1976) to build a original (working replica,) apple I.

For the nerds - the original apple 1 was just the motherboard. People had to build their own case, add a keyboard and TV .

I’m thinking I’m going to build two of these at once. One to keep and one to sell.

I have a small collection of the old Atari 2600 games still in the box. I keep picking them up here and there, I just love the art work and it takes me right back.

Front Facing

Love it. If I see a good deal on some I’ll try to send you a PM. I think they’re dope but I can’t collect everything.

Did you ever send away for the iron on patches that they would mail out to people who sent in a photograph of a high score? I had this one for Frostbite.

I have a small collection of the old Atari 2600 games still in the box. I keep picking them up here and there, I just love the art work and it takes me right back.

Front Facing

Love it. If I see a good deal on some I’ll try to send you a PM. I think they’re dope but I can’t collect everything.

Did you ever send away for the iron on patches that they would mail out to people who sent in a photograph of a high score? I had this one for Frostbite.
Yes, I believe I had the Pitfall and Kaboom patches at one time. Pitfall was my favorite if you couldn't tell :lol:
The majority I find on Ebay but have also found them at toy shows/Comicons. I did recently find my original Atari 2600 console and games from when I was a kid. Apparently my parents gave it back to me years ago and it was in my attic which sparked the collecting craze a bit.
Original 2600
Loose cartridges

If I ever decide to sell my C64, 1541 Drive and Dot Matrix printer as well as my Colecovision with about 25 carts and 50 Atari 2600 carts with the expansion module, atari controllers, paddles, etc I'll post it here first. Rather a FBG get it than sell it on Ebay.

Been a little busy researching apple-1 clones. I’ve purchased everything I need except a particular keyboard that I am waiting on.

I haven’t decided if I will build it like this exposed version or a wooden enclosure.

Interesting and small world we live in…

There’s a dude named “Uncle Bernie” who is from what I can tell a eccentric nice old man who has essentially a bottomless pit of 1977 era accurate chips/resisters/etc and he sells kits for reasonable prices just to keep the hobby alive. He’s like the Yoda of Apple computers.

Then another guy named NEWTON MIKE who lives in Hong Kong and makes the best reproduction boards and keyboards available.

Users who are viewing this thread