What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rhamondre Stevenson ~or~ Tony Pollard - which do you choose? (1 Viewer)

daylight

Footballguy
Both Rhamondre Stevenson and Tony Pollard are going in the same area of the draft (in all the drafts and mocks I've done). Given the choice, which are you choosing?

I was faced with this exact decision last night and was torn on it but went with Pollard. Pollard's upside with a Zeke injury is just crazy. Top 10 RB easily.

I prefer Stevenson. I think the Pats run the ball a ton this year and Stevenson will get the majority of the passing action despite BB saying Harris will be on the field a lot on 3rd down.

Pollard needs a Zeke injury to be more than a #3 type running back

Stevenson. By alot
Maybe I'm putting too much on the Tyron Smith injury, but this is also where I am. I passed on RB in the first three rounds of a 14-team re-draft and was very happy to claim Dillon and Stevenson round 4 & 5 for my starters. Basically, I feel like I can get by with Stevenson as a meat and potatoes lower end RB2 (but I think there's upside to be more). Pollard feels like more of a luxury RB3 with great upside. Part of this opinion is definitely based on the fact that we've had years of hearing how Pollard is going to pop this season even without a Zeke injury. And maybe he sort of has, but not to the extent that he feels like a reliable starting RB option in any given fantasy week. This very well could be the year for him. The Dallas O-line situation takes away some of the intrigue for me, but I suppose the lack of established receivers opens the door for Pollard targets.

I think both are fine targets. The guy who got Pollard in round 7 of my league probably got a better value than my round 5 Stevenson pick, but I definitely take Stevenson if I'm on the clock.

I was faced with this exact decision last night and was torn on it but went with Pollard. Pollard's upside with a Zeke injury is just crazy. Top 10 RB easily.
Easily :ponder:

Easily would seem to imply RB 6/8 range as RB 9/10 would be more "borderline" than "easily" :shades:

I was lucky enough to land both. As my RB3-4. :pickle:
I'm starting to suspect that your league mates are a bunch of idiots.
Not at all, but sometimes these drafts get a little crazy with IDP. Offensive players slide - sometimes a-ways past ADP.

The runs in IDP are insane. You’ll have a whole round of LB/Dl/DB. Literally not one offensive tier will move

Also people tend to drink in the middle rounds. Mistakes are made. Consequences suffered. ;)

Last edited:
It’s funny I’m in 3 leagues and I have Stevenson in all of them and Pollard in 2 of them. I love both of them. To me they are 2 different scenarios…I think Pollard has a higher floor given what we know now with no significant injuries in a PPR league given his likely slot work. If Zeke is healthy he’ll get the TD’s and Pollard will get rushes a lot of receptions and should put up good consistent points. Stevenson I think will be more lumpy based on whether he gets the TDS or not, he’ll get receptions but not as many as Pollard and I’m not confident in what I’m hearing from the NE offense to be overly productive (at least early on). If Stevenson can cut into Harris’s TD total he could have a very nice year.

Both guys IMO both have top 10 upside with an injury or Pollard it coooullld be possible if Dallas starts slow and Pollard looks significantly better than zeke…there could be pressure to give Pollard a larger share, especially if he responds. I love both guys but draft Pollard first based on the floor and then look to add Stevenson often with the next pick.

In my league settings, if Pollard does what he did last year, Stevenson has his work cut out for him to equal that. I think what Pollard did last year is pretty much table stakes for him this year. Stevenson? We'll see.

I guess it depends what you are looking for in either guy. IMO, RS has a better chance of winning the primary shareholder's role in NE than TP does in DAL. But if it's upside based on Harris or Elliott going down, Harris and Stevenson combined for 303 fantasy points (1 PPR) last year while Elliott and Pollard combined for 404. That probably means the pie is bigger in DAL than NE, so I would lean Pollard if that was your criteria. Who knows how big a load the last man standing would get, but DAL has no qualms about utilizing the RB position.

I drafted RS over Pollard and I was pretty hopeful Damien Harris would be out of the picture, but that doesn't appear to be the case. However, backfield is less crowded and anyone saying Pollard feasts with a Zeke injury are neglecting to see RS would feast with a Harris injury or disappearance. As a Cowboys fan, I think RS has a higher ceiling.

Dallas offense is going to be a lot better than NE, but that's not saying much. Dallas seems to me to be the team that the wheels just fall off. But NE will regret drafting Mac Jones he's simply nothing more than john averageman , with average talet at the skill positions, and a lesser offensive coaching staff. the talk about RS is just getting to be ridiculous. he's part of a massive 3 headed monster

Dallas offense is going to be a lot better than NE, but that's not saying much. Dallas seems to me to be the team that the wheels just fall off. But NE will regret drafting Mac Jones he's simply nothing more than john averageman , with average talet at the skill positions, and a lesser offensive coaching staff. the talk about RS is just getting to be ridiculous. he's part of a massive 3 headed monster
I don’t know about the 3 headed monster part. I think Stevenson has much better ability to journeyman Montgomery and soon to be FA Harris. Bet on talent.

Easily :ponder:

Easily would seem to imply RB 6/8 range as RB 9/10 would be more "borderline" than "easily" :shades:
Ya I'd put him top 5 with Zeke completely out. If you add 50% of Zekes projected points to Pollard's projected points, he becomes RB2 overall in FBG rankings.

Not saying he would take that much on, but I don't see anyone else in their backfield a threat.

Here's a question,

Who is the most valuable backup RB in the NFL from a fantasy perspective? Meaning if every starting RB in the NFL went down, who would the top ranked RB be? I think Pollard would be in discussion for that. (I don't count Dillon as a backup as that is more a 1A 1B thing that we haven't really seen in a long time, if ever)

Here's a question,

Who is the most valuable backup RB in the NFL from a fantasy perspective? Meaning if every starting RB in the NFL went down, who would the top ranked RB be? I think Pollard would be in discussion for that. (I don't count Dillon as a backup as that is more a 1A 1B thing that we haven't really seen in a long time, if ever)
Hunt: Good OL and excellent receiver
Mattison: Always puts up big numbers when Cook is out. Minnesota usually uses one back but that may be out the window with the new staff
Pollard: For your stated reason

Dark horse would be Nyheim HInes. A PPR monster if Taylor went down

Here's a question,

Mattison: Always puts up big numbers when Cook is out. Minnesota usually uses one back but that may be out the window with the new staff

Good choices.

Hunt I'm not sure on, I wonder if they'd use someone else in the mix too and keep hunt more in the receiving back spot? Plus, how good will Cleveland's offense really be pre-week-12?

Mattison could definitely be up there. Good offense, would be the unquestioned starter, etc.

Personally I think Pollard w/o Zeke I'd still take over Madison w/o Cook or Hunt w/o Chubb tho.

Either way, Pollard turns into a league winner with 1 injury, and not many other players you can make that case for. He also will be involved even with Zeke. Love Pollard this year!

Pollard.

I love Rhamondre as a talent, but why are we putting Damien Harris out to pasture? I'm genuinely asking. It feels like we might be overly eager to do it. He's only one year older than Rhamondre (25 and 24) and Belichick likes him.

And maybe I'm just clouded by my own biases about having NE RB's. I'm not sure I could pull the trigger on a NE RB at a value where I really needed to count on it week end and week out.

Not signing up for that headache unless it's a nice discount (which seems to be evaporating quickly)

On the passing, we obviously expect RS's catch opportunities to go up, but his dream ceiling that he's not done yet of somewhere around Pollard's floor.

Anyway, I'll take Pollard because I know what I'm getting and then with injury upside.

I would prefer Pollard. I’m just starting draft prep though as my draft is Tuesday night. It’s good to know how there later drafts play out with the final cuts.

Here's a question,

I might give a slight edge to Mattison over Pollard.

Here's a question,

Hunt's usually been less productive when Chubb goes down, not more. In a Watson led offense, who knows. In a Brissett led offense, yeesh. And Hunt wants out of Cleveland, so who knows what his motivation level is this year. I'm avoiding.

Agree 100% on Mattison and Pollard, and love the Hines pick.

Gus might be an RB2 if Dobbins goes down.

Here's a question,

Hunt's usually been less productive when Chubb goes down, not more. In a Watson led offense, who knows. In a Brissett led offense, yeesh. And Hunt wants out of Cleveland, so who knows what his motivation level is this year. I'm avoiding.

Agree 100% on Mattison and Pollard, and love the Hines pick.

Gus might be an RB2 if Dobbins goes down.
True, but not sure why, so it could change if in this scenario, Chubb were out long term.

Only positive of Brissett is he checks down a lot. Gaskin had his most value last year when Brissett started. Could be a lot of 6-7 catch games for Hunt with Brissett playing

To the OP's question without injury I prefer Rhamondre over Pollard. Elliot won't be replaced this year as the lead back and he's as durable as they get. Stevenson on the other hand is in my opinion in one of those 1A/1B situations.

I'd give Pollard the edge if you were talking about Zeke going down vs Harris going down but I also don't think Pollard would be getting the high amount of usage most here think but he'd catch a gobble of passes. I'd think of him as similar to a Swift type. But again he needs a RB who is as tough to get off the field as it gets to get off the field.

To the OP's question without injury I prefer Rhamondre over Pollard. Elliot won't be replaced this year as the lead back and he's as durable as they get. Stevenson on the other hand is in my opinion in one of those 1A/1B situations.

I'd give Pollard the edge if you were talking about Zeke going down vs Harris going down but I also don't think Pollard would be getting the high amount of usage most here think but he'd catch a gobble of passes. I'd think of him as similar to a Swift type. But again he needs a RB who is as tough to get off the field as it gets to get off the field.
This is the part that makes me like Stevenson over Pollard. Zeke is a tough MFer and loves to play. Plus, I don't think he wants to leave Dallas and if he has a good year, he stays, assuming the money can be worked out. Jerry loves him some Zeke

My concern with RS is I think the Pats may be terrible and have bad game scripts. I could totally see Montgomery being the pass catching back when healthy. Also, I’d be terrified about RS fumbling and wondering if I ever see him again. I’m concerned how effective the offense will be without mcdaniels.

If the rumors are correct and the Cowboys use Pollard in the slot he could have 70+ catches. He’s explosive enough to take a few of these to the house. I think Zeke is gonna be asked to block more than ever with their offensive line situation. He reminds me of the Kittle of RB’s.

I love Pollard and Dillon this year if I go heavy on WR’s early.

Tough to say. The Cowboys are only carrying 3 rbs, and I don't think they'd trust Rico Dowdle (Had to google him.... another Rico in Dallas! :D )to carry the team. Pollard would be in for massive work I think with Zeke out.

It's a good discussion though. I do think I like them about the same when not factoring in an injury to the starter above them.
But with Pollard skyrocketing with Zeke out, that is league winning type value there and a good swing when you already have 1 or 2 RBS.
So if it's my 2nd RB off the board I might take Rhamondre... but if it's my 3rd RB I'm going Pollard all the way for the huge upside. In PPR it's Pollard either way for me.

Users who are viewing this thread