What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ricky-missed test or failed test (1 Viewer)

drdgreenlove

Footballguy
There is conflicting info out here... PFT is reporting Ricky was in India and missed a test

ESPN is reporting however that indeed Ricky failed a test...

Which will be true... Remains to be seen.

(If PFT scoops ESPN again, yikes)

EDIT FOR CLARIFICATION:

ESPN-

Ricky Williams' violation of the NFL's substance-abuse policy is not a matter of a missed test. Williams has failed a drug test, the sources said
fromESPN linkPFT

A league source tells us that Dolphins running back Ricky Williams violated the NFL substance abuse policy not through a positive test but by failing to report for a scheduled test.
PFT link

Last edited by a moderator:
There is conflicting info out here... PFT is reporting Ricky was in India and missed a test

I think a missed test is considered a fail test according to the NFL. So I think they are both right.

I think a missed test is considered a fail test according to the NFL. So I think they are both right.
Dolphins | Williams reportedly failed test; not missed one Published Mon Feb 20 2:42:00 p.m. ET 2006 (KFFL) Updating ongoing reports, ESPN's Hank Goldberg reports sources have said Miami Dolphins RB Ricky Williams' violation of the league's substance-abuse policy was in fact a failed drug test and not a matter of a missed test.

Wont matter. O Smith missed one and you know his story :cry:
Yeah, but O.Smith had a valid reason for missing the test. He was going to fail it.
I think O. Smith had a better chance of passing it with his loyal friend, the Whizzinator, along for the trip.

PFT had an addendum... they stated there has been a precedent where if the league makes a mistake in contacting the player, they may be off the hook (not sure if they cite who it happened to before)...

so in theory, if espn is wrong (?), he may still have an out... then again, just because this has happened in the past, i'm sure it hasn't OFTEN... so it would have to be a long shot for him to get that kind of a reprieve...

i just heard on the radio (fox) that r-will FAILED his test. they also said that it WAS NOT pot

this (if true) might help him in the court of public opinion, but i highly doubt the NFL will care

Hmmm... looking more and more like it was a failure but not for marijuana. Interesting development from Profootballtalk.com:

RICKY TESTED POSITIVE, AFTER ALL

Jason Cole of The Miami Herald reports that the recent violation of the NFL substance abuse policy committed by Dolphins running back Ricky Williams was the result of a failed test -- and that the substance was something other than marijuana.

'This whole thing is a little confusing,'' one source told Cole. "I'll just leave it at that. The best way to say it is he violated the program.''

It's not, however, a steroid issue. Steroids and other performance-enhancing substances are covered by a different NFL policy and program. Williams' positive, then, resulted from the use of cocaine, opiates, MDMA, or PCP, or the abuse of prescription drugs, over-the-counter drugs, or alcohol.

It remains possible that Williams tested positive for a prescription medication that he had not previously disclosed to the NFL. Williams previously used Paxil to combat social anxiety disorder.

Common sense (which, frankly, doesn't always apply to a guy like Williams) suggests to us that, if he was able to control his admitted affinity for marijuana, he likewise should have been able to avoid other substances with which he had not been linked. So we're going to take a wait-and-see approach on this one until more information is released (if more information ever is released) regarding the compounds that showed up in the product of Ricky's soda fountain.

We'd previously heard that the violation resulted from a missed test. We're still not ready to rule out the possibility that Williams generated a positive and missed a test, given all of the confusion surrounding this issue.

It would have been easy to have him take the test in India. All they had to do was contact some of the thousands of customer service reps there to have him take the test.

But then Ricky might not have understood what they were saying.

Williams appeals failed drug test, person familiar with case says

By STEVEN WINE, AP Sports Writer

February 20, 2006

MIAMI (AP) -- Troubled running back Ricky Williams is appealing a positive drug test that could force the Miami Dolphins star to sit out the 2006 season, a person familiar with the case said Monday.

If the positive test result is upheld, it would be Williams' fourth violation of the NFL's substance-abuse policy, meaning at least a one-year suspension.

Previous positive tests were for marijuana, which Williams acknowledged using. But the latest test involved a drug other than marijuana, said the person, who spoke on condition of anonymity because league policy is to keep test results confidential.

The Miami Herald reported Monday that two sources said Williams failed a test for a substance not publicly known. His latest positive test was first reported Sunday by Denver television station KDVR.

A ruling on the appeal isn't expected until April. Williams, the 1998 Heisman Trophy winner and 2002 NFL rushing champion, is in India studying yoga and holistic medicine.

"Ricky Williams has been in outstanding behavioral mode for the past six months. No one should jump to any conclusions," said Williams' agent, Leigh Steinberg.

The Dolphins and the NFL declined to comment, citing the private nature of the league's drug program.

Williams retired and sat out the 2004 season. He owes the Dolphins $8.6 million for breaching his contract, and motivated at least partly by the need for a paycheck, he returned last year to play for new Miami coach Nick Saban.

Before being allowed to return, Williams served a four-game suspension at the start of the season for his third violation of the drug program.

Despite the long layoff and a limited workload, Williams ran for 743 yards and averaged 4.4 per carry while sharing playing time with rookie Ronnie Brown. Williams gained 280 yards in the final two games when Brown was hurt.

Saban and the Dolphins praised Williams' attitude, work ethic and leadership. Dispelling his reputation as an aloof, selfish pothead, Williams became such a model of good behavior that he was chosen co-winner of the local media's annual postseason Good Guy Award, given to the player most cooperative with reporters.

Williams laughingly described himself as weird and compared his career to a roller coaster. Since returning last season, the NFL has required him to undergo drug tests up to 10 times a month.

LINK

well, if RW failed the test but, the substance that was found was something other than marijuana, then it could be the medication he was taking for his anxiety problem. It's a longshot, i know, but I recall that he was taking medication at one time for it. He could be still be medicating for his condition. If he's changed his meds, they wouldn't have known what to look for.

Users who are viewing this thread