What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Riley Cooper (2 Viewers)

FantasyTrader said:
timmeresque said:
Now that Cooper is getting so much love from Foles, does this open up some space for the other WR's? Just thinking that if I was a D coord. I would be putting my best CB on him, which leaves Jackson and crew open for some big plays.
No. DeSean still demands the opponent's best CB.
I don't think most teams match their best CB up against the opposition's #1 WR most weeks.

Fair enough. But most teams DO cheat the safety toward the #1 WR. Point being, the original question was will this open things up for DeSean? I would say no because teams would rather take their chances with Cooper.

timmeresque said:
Now that Cooper is getting so much love from Foles, does this open up some space for the other WR's? Just thinking that if I was a D coord. I would be putting my best CB on him, which leaves Jackson and crew open for some big plays.
DJax has been catching plenty of TD's from Foles too, and is still istting at 3rd in the NFL in receiving - doubt that he'll be getting less attention then Foles. I think this offense is just taking whatever the defense is giving. Cooper's going to have his one on one shots down the field.

Just dealt for Cooper. Now I have to decide if I want to start him this week over Allen or Gordon. I think I have to find a way to get Riley into my lineup vs the Skins.

Just dealt for Cooper. Now I have to decide if I want to start him this week over Allen or Gordon. I think I have to find a way to get Riley into my lineup vs the Skins.
River's has cooled off the last month and Campbell will turn into Campbell soon enough.

What are some of the lineup decisions people are faced with? I'm facing my own but I'd like to hear about what others think his value/projections are for the week.

I have to play 2WR and a flex. Nelson, cruz, welker, cooper and hilton. Welker, cooper and hilton are my guys due to crappy QBs with nelson and cruz

Calvin and Cooper comfortably ahead of Cecil Shorts, Marlon Brown and Marvin Jones (basic non-ppr).

Caveat: I picked Riley up this week and this is his 1st start. I have been a WR-killer all year, so I'm just giving everyone ample warning...

Last edited by a moderator:
bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
Craig Jeffers
Wasn't it Patrick Jeffers?
Wahoowa! http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JeffPa00.htm

182 fantasy points (including 12 TD's) in 1999, 60 (and 2 TD's) the entire rest of his career.

And don't forget fellow Cavalier Germane Crowell ... http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CrowGe00.htm

182 fantasy points (including 1,338 rec yards) that same year, 198 (and 1,384) the entire rest of his career.

My fellow alums single-handedly (double-handedly?) won me every league I played in that year. And yeah, Cooper kinda has the feel of that sort of fluky breakout. But I'll take it.

My team is WR-centric starting with Calvin and Demaryius. This week I'll be plugging in Riley Cooper in place of Antonio Brown.

Fair enough. But most teams DO cheat the safety toward the #1 WR. Point being, the original question was will this open things up for DeSean? I would say no because teams would rather take their chances with Cooper.
Two different issues- will Cooper draw the double coverage? No. Will DeSean have more opportunity? Yes.

Its not really a question of double coverage, when you're facing a high powered offense its really about how your shading your coverages and what coverages you run in general. With two big threats on the outside you will probably roll your coverage to the bigger threat but you cant sell out to stop him (like you would with Megatron for instance). If there wasnt a threat on the other side you could bracket Jackson like the Saints did with Dez the other night, but with Cooper on the other side you can still double cover Jackson but stay more honest with the rest of the field.

Two different issues- will Cooper draw the double coverage? No. Will DeSean have more opportunity? Yes.

Its not really a question of double coverage, when you're facing a high powered offense its really about how your shading your coverages and what coverages you run in general. With two big threats on the outside you will probably roll your coverage to the bigger threat but you cant sell out to stop him (like you would with Megatron for instance). If there wasnt a threat on the other side you could bracket Jackson like the Saints did with Dez the other night, but with Cooper on the other side you can still double cover Jackson but stay more honest with the rest of the field.
I don't disagree with your rationale. Only with the final analysis that it = more opportunity for DeSean.

I don't disagree with your rationale. Only with the final analysis that it = more opportunity for DeSean.
I think the reality on the ground is that you are right... but only because I dont view Desean Jackson as a big enough threat that anybody needs to take him out of the game the way you might with a Calving or a Dez. Which boils down to his opportunities will be pretty much what they will be regardless of who is across from him.

Uh Cooper is taller, just as fast or faster, and heavier than all of Ari secondary not name Pat Peterson. If PP is stuck to DJax, Jarraud Powers at 5'10 can't stick this redneck. I see another low-end WR1 week.

Tough to really pick a #1 now--Where Vick heavily favored Desean Foles pretty well splits up his targets between the two.

I have a tough time starting Riley to be honest. Not sure why and I'll probably regret it but he's on the bench in favor of AJ Green, Antonio Brown, and Larry Fitzgerald right now and probably behind Nate Burleson as well on the bench.

Uh Cooper is taller, just as fast or faster, and heavier than all of Ari secondary not name Pat Peterson. If PP is stuck to DJax, Jarraud Powers at 5'10 can't stick this redneck. I see another low-end WR1 week.
And what if they put PP on Riley and the short guy on Desean with deep help from the safety? That seems like the smart thing to do.

I was listening to mayb the on the couch podcast and somebody mentioned the peterson thing is overblown.

he said they don't really use him like that --- only maybe half the time

And what if they put PP on Riley and the short guy on Desean with deep help from the safety? That seems like the smart thing to do.
Yuramia Bell and Powers are 4.5+ runners. I'm sure Chip Kelly/Nick Foles would exploit that matchup all over the field.

I have a tough time starting Riley to be honest. Not sure why and I'll probably regret it but he's on the bench in favor of AJ Green, Antonio Brown, and Larry Fitzgerald right now and probably behind Nate Burleson as well on the bench.
Don't fight it. Cooper-Foles is a real thing. He avg 4-97-1 when Foles starts this season.

Riley Cooper signs a 5 year deal with the Eagles.

Where does that leave Cooper from a fantasy perspective going forward? So far Maclin has not resigned and they seem to be far apart in their negotiations. I am guessing with the Cooper signing that Maclin will be left to walk unless he signs a 1 year show me type of deal for a cheap price (I am not sure he will do that).

Cooper was a big play threat for the Eagles last year. Will his role be similar or will he see an increase in targets? He had 8 tds on 47 catches and only 83 targets. He did have 835 yards for an impressive 17.7 ypc stat. If he sees his targets go up as he settles in with Foles as the number 2 guy and another year in the system he could be an every day starter for fantasy perhaps.

Once they got an NFL QB in there Cooper took off. 6 games were with Vick so his numbers this year should be even better.

Where does that leave Cooper from a fantasy perspective going forward? So far Maclin has not resigned and they seem to be far apart in their negotiations. I am guessing with the Cooper signing that Maclin will be left to walk unless he signs a 1 year show me type of deal for a cheap price (I am not sure he will do that).

Cooper was a big play threat for the Eagles last year. Will his role be similar or will he see an increase in targets? He had 8 tds on 47 catches and only 83 targets. He did have 835 yards for an impressive 17.7 ypc stat. If he sees his targets go up as he settles in with Foles as the number 2 guy and another year in the system he could be an every day starter for fantasy perhaps.
Maclin deal is actually close.

Once they got an NFL QB in there Cooper took off. 6 games were with Vick so his numbers this year should be even better.
Definitely. 3.8 rec. for 76.7 yards, 0.8 TDs per game = Cooper with Foles starting * 17 = 65 1,304 14I think 1000+ 10TD would be a floor for Cooper playing with Foles.

3 hours ago: KFFL reporting that Deal with Jeremy Maclin and Philly Eagles is not close.

As a Cooper owner I really hope Maclin doesn't resign with the Eagles. As a Missouri/Chiefs fan I hope he goes there. But I think Coopers numbers will go up with Foles at QB all year

Eagles re-signed WR Riley Cooper to a five-year, $25 million contract.
The last year of the deal is voidable, but the contract includes $10 million guaranteed. It looks like the Eagles have overpaid for a player they had plenty of leverage on. Given Cooper's ugly racial slur from last summer, it's unlikely he would have been welcomed into another locker room. Furthermore, he lacks an ability to separate consistently despite career-best 2013 contract-year stats (47/835/8). Still, the 6'3/222 Cooper is a reasonable complement to diminutive DeSean Jackson because he brings red-zone chops, some blocking ability and a willingness to go over the middle on slants. If Jeremy Maclin is re-signed by the Eagles as expected, Cooper will enter 2014 as a No. 3 wideout.
Can anyone explain how a WR that averaged 17.7 ypr lacks an ability to seperate - or if true how that matters?

The last year of the deal is voidable, but the contract includes $10 million guaranteed. It looks like the Eagles have overpaid for a player they had plenty of leverage on. Given Cooper's ugly racial slur from last summer, it's unlikely he would have been welcomed into another locker room. Furthermore, he lacks an ability to separate consistently despite career-best 2013 contract-year stats (47/835/8). Still, the 6'3/222 Cooper is a reasonable complement to diminutive DeSean Jackson because he brings red-zone chops, some blocking ability and a willingness to go over the middle on slants. If Jeremy Maclin is re-signed by the Eagles as expected, Cooper will enter 2014 as a No. 3 wideout.
Can anyone explain how a WR that averaged 17.7 ypr lacks an ability to seperate - or if true how that matters?
It's slang for "He's a white receiver." See also: deceptively fast, sneaky fast ect..

Rotoworld probably still thinks he's a WR4/5
And will give a scathing paragraph about why he's a total bum.
I'm still trying to figure this out. It does remind me of Jordy a few years back, but was there the same level of pessimism about his future prospects at the time? Did people think he was just a flash in the pan? It seems like they have very comparable measurables, but everything I've read talks about Cooper like he's slow by NFL standards and can't get seperation.

I haven't had a chance to watch anything besides the highlights, but I'm confused because the numbers indicate a good player, but analysts seem to contradict this. Does anyone think he has a good chance of continuing performances like the last couple of weeks for the ROS if Foles stays behind center?
When you watch him play he's either smoking people and wide open or just goes and gets the ball over a guy. After his first TD yesterday Aikman even said "For a guy who's not supposed to be able to run by people Cooper has made a lot of big plays this year"

If you were to watch him play and not know what team he was on or who he was you would say he looks like a good player.

It's slang for "He's a white receiver." See also: deceptively fast, sneaky fast ect..
Yeah he's a blue collar, lunchpail type.

I am watching his catches from 2013 and am not seeing him struggle much to gain serperation and make big plays. He is a good NFL wr 2 and very good in that offense. Philly did a good job of locking him up. He is a much better NFL wr than fantasy WR at this time. But with increased targets and another year in that system it could change.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuTuETCD090

3 hours ago: KFFL reporting that Deal with Jeremy Maclin and Philly Eagles is not close.
Pretty close.

Can't they believed they re-signed this guy for what, $25 million? I realize that isn't all guaranteed, but I can't believe the type of contracts some players get these days.

Can't they believed they re-signed this guy for what, $25 million? I realize that isn't all guaranteed, but I can't believe the type of contracts some players get these days.
Its over 5 years. Pretty reasonable actually when compared to Mike Wallace type contracts.

He got paid like a top-10 draft pick. It looks like a big deal on surface, but it's really a two year deal and he's cuttable of he doesn't become a A-/B+ reciever by 2016. And consider the league payscale will continue to rise. It was a smartly structured and fair contract.

He got paid like a top-10 draft pick. It looks like a big deal on surface, but it's really a two year deal and he's cuttable of he doesn't become a A-/B+ reciever by 2016. And consider the league payscale will continue to rise. It was a smartly structured and fair contract.
It's really a 2 year, $9M deal.

I think the contract might be a tad high considering he would be around the 30th highest paid Wr coming off a year with off the field issue and having 7 good games of football in his career.

Cooper's numbers in games where Foles played most of the snaps in 2013:

GMS TRGS RECS YDS YPR YPT TDS11 5.45 3.36 66.27 19.70 12.15 0.64I expect his numbers to go down across the board except for the trgs and recs, but not drastically. He's still looks like a cheap WR2-3. He's ADP was in the 50s during my last startup draft. He'll likely get you 1000yds, 7-10+ TDs. Desean Jackson's #s w/Foles:

GMS TRGS RECS YDS YPR YPT TDS11 7.09 4.82 79.64 16.53 11.23 0.64Jackson's ADP is probably fair. I just wanted to point out what kind of discount Cooper is with the way Foles spreads the ball around. The production was closer than you'd think, even with Jackson having outliner games like vs Minn w/16 TRGS. His TDS should regress. Optimistically, this offense can mirror GB's with Rodgers during the Jennings and Jordy days. Ertz can play Findley. He'll be just as disappointing IMO. He has better hands than Findley, but he might be just as overrated of an athlete in the FF community. Maclin could be James Jones + Donald Driver. There are targets to go around, especially when your QB is throwing near 10.5 AY/A. I doubt Chip passes as much as GB did, but the upside is there for all of these guys to catch 50-70 balls and be weekly FF starters in 2014 barring injury. At least it'll be fun to watch.

Ertz:

Code:
GMS	 TRGS	 RECS	 YDS	 YPR	 YPT	 TDS11       4.18	 2.82	 32.45	 11.52	 7.76	 0.36
Avant:
Code:
GMS	 TRGS	 RECS	 YDS	 YPR	 YPT	 TDS11       4.91	 2.18	 23.09	 10.58	 4.70	 0.09
Avant was awful in this offense. A lot of people are assuming one of these guys (Maclin or Cooper) will have to sacrifice a lot. I don't agree. Maclin can slide in nicely and do a lot better by just doing more with his targets. There is also the slight chance Chip dials up the passing attempts to the 30-35 range. I doubt it though.

Users who are viewing this thread