What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Riley Cooper (1 Viewer)

My bad..I came in here expecting to read something about a professional NFL football player named Riley Cooper...Appears I stumbled into KKK meeting instead.

if you want to eclipse racsim yes - its time to get over it

no other color skin/race of people demand certain words not to be used - and I think we all know crimes against evry color of skin and race has happened throughout history

at least in Europe, the words Hitler and Nazi are taboo to everyone - the Jews don't say "we can say it, but nobody else can"
I can think of a derogatory term for about every race, not because I am racist, more-so because I had to ask what the words my great grandma used to say meant... The "N" word is one of many words that should never be spoken, and I agree, even black people should not use it, as it confuses many people who are told it is wrong, then some rap artist spouts it out 20 times in a song...

Think I might change the name of the thread. Any suggestions?
"Riley Cooper: American Hero - the story of how one white man refused to let 'the N word' be the exclusive domain of the minorities"

In more relevant news to us - is it looking like Cooper will draw Maclin's starting gig? If so, he could have sme bye week value in ppr leagues in a fast tempo offense.

"Riley Cooper: American Hero - the story of how one white man refused to let 'the N word' be the exclusive domain of the minorities"

In more relevant news to us - is it looking like Cooper will draw Maclin's starting gig? If so, he could have sme bye week value in ppr leagues in a fast tempo offense.
I originally read he will have that position (Maclin) but for the past two days I have read tidbits about how they think he will be more of a big blocking WR and that is one of the reasons they like him over some of the others. Is that a Chip Kelly Thing in his offense?

Either way, sounds right. Probably a bye week/needy filler. Looks big enough to get some redzone looks, especially if he does do a lot of blocking. I can see him chipping and releasing down by the endzone a few times.

The Philadelphia Daily News expects Riley Cooper to be on the field in "most" two wide receiver sets.
The turmoil surrounding Cooper's racial slur is already water under the bridge. The playing time will be there, but the upside won't be as he'll focus on blocking in Chip Kelly's run-heavy scheme. Jason Avant will come in as the slot man in three-wide formations and Damaris Johnson will mix in when Kelly wants some speed on the field. None of these three are worth much of a look in standard fantasy formats.

Chip Kelly is not that predictable. You can't believe everything. He's said that all of the WRs have to be interchangeable from day 1. That means even DJax will have to block. In the case the Eagles go hurry up/read option the defense dictates who gets the ball. Maybe Cooper doesn't get the designed plays that DJax will but the zone reads are a equal opportunity for all of the players.

Ehh not after he apologized.

Last edited by a moderator:
Riley Cooper, Cary Williams scuffle at Eagles' practice

By Marc Sessler, Sept. 5, 2013 at 12:01 p.m.

More than a month removed from the Riley Cooper mess in Philadelphia, the Eagles have made strides to move on from the wide receiver's racially insensitive comment said at a Kenny Chesney concert over the summer.

Cooper has kept quiet and produced on the field, but he was at the center of a scuffle during Thursday's practice, according to Jeff McLane of the Philadelphia Inquirer. The receiver tangled with cornerback Cary Williams before several teammates, including quarterback Michael Vick, stepped in to separate the two.

McLane noted that Cooper was "visibly distraught" and later stayed to the side during drills mixing receivers and defensive backs. Pass-catcher DeSean Jackson eventually consoled Cooper before speaking one-on-one with Williams, who was critical of Cooper's comment when it went viral.

"We're trying not to make it a distraction, we're trying to get through it," Williams said in August, per NFL.com's Albert Breer. "But obviously the magnitude of the issues makes it a lot harder to cope with. Everyone's gonna come along at their own time. We're trying to find a way to forgive, find a way to be merciful. Everyone has their own perspective. We're having a tough time. We're at a crossroads."

We're in the business of connecting the dots, but it's unfair to assume Cooper's comment was the kindling for Thursday's fight. Scuffles at practice are commonplace, but any entanglement involving Cooper raises obvious questions about where his teammates stand with him, just four days away from the season opener.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000238592/article/riley-cooper-cary-williams-scuffle-at-eagles-practice

Williams has a history of losing his temper on the field. He was sidelined during a joint practice with the New England Patriots after getting into a facemask-grabbing situation after a play. Williams was fined a couple of times last season, while he was with the Baltimore Ravens. He and DeSean Jackson were each fined $10,000 for tussling during a game in September, and Williams was fined $15,750 for a late hit in a game against the Denver Broncos. He avoided punishment for shoving an official during the Super Bowl.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9637743/riley-cooper-cary-williams-philadelphia-eagles-scuffle-practice

This isn't a race issue, and the only thing I take from this is Williams can't cover Cooper without holding even in practice. Bump Cooper, it appears Vick has "his back".

Williams didn't take any interview requests after practice. Cooper said that it was just a usual scuffle and that they're good now. I'm guessing it probably had nothing to do with the Chesney concert incident but how could the media/public not think that? Williams is a huge hot head though.

Bump Cooper, it appears Vick has "his back".
Interesting view. I've been impressed with the way Vick has been trying to keep the team together throughout the Cooper incident. Vick has shown some solid leadership skills which is not a trait that I previously thought I'd attribute to Vick.

Seems like this would be a very good thing.

Whatever the immediate cause of the fight was, it no doubt had some lingering issues from the nightclub incident pent up in it.

Nothing like a nice bout of fisticuffs to help men move on. Hopefully, Williams was a surrogate for the whole team and there was some cathartic effect for everyone.

Seems like this would be a very good thing.

Whatever the immediate cause of the fight was, it no doubt had some lingering issues from the nightclub concert incident pent up in it.

Nothing like a nice bout of fisticuffs to help men move on. Hopefully, Williams was a surrogate for the whole team and there was some cathartic effect for everyone.
Fixed.

Riffraff said:
Cooper: Fight had nothing to do with racial slur - video of scuffle
I went to three Lions practices during training camp..there was some sort of a scuffle at every practice. I would not call grabbing a facemask a fight. Tempers flared..it happens everyday in the NFL. This was nothing and if it was not Cooper it would not even had been reported.

@howardeskin: I'm told #eagles CB Cary Williams has had issues with coaches and players before today's fight w Riley Cooper. Handled w private meeting

Any thoughts on Cooper having a possible surge under Foles?

It happens, backup QB comes in suddenly other receivers get attention finally. Maybe he's just becoming better QB than Vick.

Wait another week and he may not be there? Or one week wonder as it appears?

Any thoughts on Cooper having a possible surge under Foles?

It happens, backup QB comes in suddenly other receivers get attention finally. Maybe he's just becoming better QB than Vick.

Wait another week and he may not be there? Or one week wonder as it appears?
Eagles fan here. I doubt Cooper puts up another 100+ with a TD, but the Dallas game should be a shoot out, so I'm hoping he can get at least something like 5 for 70, maybe a shot at a TD. I picked him up strictly as a bye week filler. Not expecting much from him ROY, even with Foles at QB. He doesn't have great hands and he doesn't seem to get open much, Now of course, he got open enough last week with Foles at the helm, so maybe some of it was Vick.

I believe Cooper scored a TD in each game vs. DAL last year.

Truth is, Cooper isn't exactly adept at gaining separation and I believe the best aspect of his game is actually blocking. Still, PHI is/was in dire need of a second option in the passing game and with Foles (being the traditional pocket passer that he is) under center I believe someone has to step up to some extent. It could be Cooper but I'm not even sure he's the best of the worst.

Does anyone remember back in 2011 (?) when Vince Young came in for Vick and all of a sudden he was connecting with Cooper for some decent points?

And it seemed like Vick could not see Cooper at all, and when he came back in for Young Cooper's numbers came back down to nada?

Seems to me Vick can most of the time handle one read, and if it isn't there there's a good chance he either bails or runs. Maclin had his good games, so maybe that does not hold, but this is what Cooper did with Young:

5/75/1

3/71/0

5/94/0

Next week Vick comes back and it's back to the same ol' 1 catch, 20 yards routine.

Last year, Cooper had his best game with Foles, 5/61/0.

I kind of wonder if there isn't a chance for him here with Foles under center.

Cooper had another good game, 7/6/88/0.

This might go away with Vick coming back, but maybe also it's a conscious effort to get him in the gameplan.

SaintsInDome2006 said:
Cooper had another good game, 7/6/88/0.

This might go away with Vick coming back, but maybe also it's a conscious effort to get him in the gameplan.
I think it goes away, which is a shame. He could have been pretty valuable in PPR if Foles remained under center.

With Foles back under center and PHI playing an OAK team who's allowed the 2nd most receptions per game to WRs I think Cooper will make for a decent flex play in PPR leagues this week.

Back to being a WR3/flex. He averaged 5 rec., 104 yards, .5 TD in the last two games with Foles. 13.4 ppg (18.4 ppr ppg). The Eagles play OAK-GB-Was then a bye.

Users who are viewing this thread