What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Riley Cooper (1 Viewer)

name any other word, on the planet, that will get you fired for saying it

any words? any words at all ?
Not sure where you work, but corporate America is now extremely sensitive and there's a host of words that can get you fired. Context counts but getting fired for words is more common than some think and not just those of a racial content.

I believe the topic started a conversation about what Cooper said and how it would/should impact him. That very quickly morphed into a lengthy debate about whether it was offensive (I believe that was the main debate of the thread). Those that argue it's not an offensive term were sorely losing that argument. So, they tried comparing it to cracker/whitey. That didn't work, so they compared it to a black person saying the same thing. That didn't work, so Phenix brought out the dictionary. That didn't work, so Phenix shifted to scholarships and private "groups/clubs" that are "government funded", etc. It really is amazing the lengths some will go to avoid acknowledging defeat in a discussion.

So, back to the main discussion. It has nothing to do with affirmative action groups, derogatory terms for other ethnic groups, the same term used by a black man, or any of the other tidbits (true or false) that have been thrown out to distract. The fact is, the term is offensive as used by Mr. Cooper.

As an aside, Riley Cooper has acknowledged it was offensive and that he regretted saying it. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and believe that he is sincere. In fact, I hope he's successful in the NFL.
^ dass my nigguh^

1. Jordan Raanan@JordanRaanan32s
    Riley Cooper is back with Eagles. Expected to practice and meet w/media afterwards. #eagles

2. Jay Glazer@JayGlazer44s
    Riley Cooper has returned from his excused absence this morning and is scheduled to practice with the team today, Eagles announce

Chris Mortensen@mortreport59s
  3. Eagles confirm Riley Cooper will practice vs Patriots today after a "good" meeting with Chip Kelly.

Rotoworld Football@Rotoworld_FB1m
  4. Riley Cooper back with Eagles, will practice http://dlvr.it/3mCdTp

Last edited by a moderator:
  1. Jordan Raanan@JordanRaanan32s
    Riley Cooper is back with Eagles. Expected to practice and meet w/media afterwards. #eagles

2. Jay Glazer@JayGlazer44s
    Riley Cooper has returned from his excused absence this morning and is scheduled to practice with the team today, Eagles announce

Chris Mortensen@mortreport59s
  3. Eagles confirm Riley Cooper will practice vs Patriots today after a "good" meeting with Chip Kelly.

Rotoworld Football@Rotoworld_FB1m
  4. Riley Cooper back with Eagles, will practice http://dlvr.it/3mCdTp

I'm sure he's all healed up after a few meetings with a psychiatrist....

I took him as a flyer in the 25th of a recent draft masters draft with the FFPC. Who knows?

Will his teammates accept him back?

I took him as a flyer in the 25th of a recent draft masters draft with the FFPC. Who knows?

Will his teammates accept him back?
@Tim_McManus: Avant walks over to Cooper, gives him a warm greeting.

@EliotShorrParks: DeMeco Ryan just ran up to Cooper, hugged him and made a joke. #Eagles

Cooper is pretty much safe now

Eagles WR Arrelious Benn has been diagnosed with a torn left ACL, and is done for the season.
It's the same ACL Benn tore in 2010. It's a career-clouding injury, as the 2010 second-rounder has provided little, if any, impressive tape during his three-year career. Benn wasn't competing for a starting job in Philadelphia, and was going to need an impressive preseason to even crack the 53-man roster. The chronically-injured wideout turns 25 next month.

For some odd reason this didnt make national news every day

The Big Lead website reported Douglas called Smith an “Uncle Tom” and a “House n-----.” Douglas, a 6-2, 280-pounder who spent 10 seasons in the NFL, was apparently trying to get on stage to join the DJ. He became incensed when Smith was hesitant to assist him. That’s when Douglas threatened to punch Smith out. Smith attempted to walk away, but Douglas grabbed him by the wrist before party-goers intervened to break things up. An ESPN spokesman said network suits were aware of the altercation and “were looking into the situation.” Still, it remains to be seen if Douglas and Smith will be able to work together.

The Big Lead website reported Douglas called Smith an “Uncle Tom” and a “House n-----.” Douglas, a 6-2, 280-pounder who spent 10 seasons in the NFL, was apparently trying to get on stage to join the DJ. He became incensed when Smith was hesitant to assist him. That’s when Douglas threatened to punch Smith out. Smith attempted to walk away, but Douglas grabbed him by the wrist before party-goers intervened to break things up. An ESPN spokesman said network suits were aware of the altercation and “were looking into the situation.” Still, it remains to be seen if Douglas and Smith will be able to work together.
If I was black I'd find this more offensive than being called the N word by a random white guy.

Redskins, Redskin, Redskins!

NFL is a hypocrite for acting on any player being racist, if the NFL is racist themselves.

The people who are not equal to anyone and are treated different is the white man, so take this racism crap and shove it. Blacks get special scholarships just for them, schools just for them, TV and radio stations just for them, as well as black groups and organization just for them that get government and publicly funded. Go ask to join the NAACP or Black Panthers or try to get a white scholarship or an all white group who does not allow blacks publicly funded. Good luck!

While more whites get pushed aside for school, pushed away for jobs, and are not allowed to say they are an all white TV station or a group that is just for whites. While I recognize some groups end up with all whites, they sure cant position themselves as the White Panthers and get away with it now can they.

That would be considered Racist, but black panthers, nope thats not racist at all.

Racism is discriminating against any race, not just the black race.

Again, you want to stop racism, stop separating yourself with groups for just blacks and being the only race who has a forbidden word by everyone but that said race.
You should head over to the FFA and post your thoughts. You express yourself so eloquently and hone in on your point with laser like precision.

There are groups available for people like you and Stealthycat and Ramblingwreck and other like minded people. You guys should hook up and check them out
I don't have trouble with blacks or whites... It's the grey people that bug the crap out of me!
I agree that that NFL using "Redskins" is offensive to Native Americans.

Affirmative action was introduced because of the inequalities that exist(ed). Blacks were being denied job opportunities not based on their qualifications, but on the color of their skin. The inequalities are less today, but I believe they still exist. Yes affirmative action isn't perfect, and more qualified white applicants may be denied employment but it's probably still necessary as a check and balance.

As for joining the NAACP. Whites are allowed to join.

As someone pointed out earlier the KKK is a white group. If you want your whites only society, I suggest you join.

Controversy aside, does Cooper have legit fantasy value this season? Can he put up Maclin-like numbers with Maclin out for the season?

Controversy aside, does Cooper have legit fantasy value this season? Can he put up Maclin-like numbers with Maclin out for the season?
Not Maclin numbers, but value - sure. He'll have to win and hold the #2 job, but he has a shot. If he does, I think he can put up WR3/4 numbers.

If you check the 1st page before all of the bs me and shutout had the most glowing quotes. He's being written off because he's a unknown. He will definitely be worth more than what you will have to pay if he can keep his head straight. I'm a homer and I've been waiting for him to get a opportunity, just wished it wasn't at Maclin's expense.

Kerry Collins managed to overcome the negativity and continue his career. And he wasn't even drunk when he used the word... against a teammate no less.

(One of the rare time Collins was not drunk.)
Kerry Collins didn't live in the twitter generation. Most people have probably forgotten he ever said that.
Who hasn't said stupid #### when they are drunk. Donte Stallworth ran over and killed a person while drunk and nobody could give a #### and he still works in the NFL. Cooper uses the dreaded N-word and everybody wants him kicked out of the NFL or worse. Get your head out of your ### people.

This story does not surprise me, considering what a loud-mouthed doofus Douglas has shown himself to be on ESPN.

Kerry Collins managed to overcome the negativity and continue his career. And he wasn't even drunk when he used the word... against a teammate no less.

(One of the rare time Collins was not drunk.)
Kerry Collins didn't live in the twitter generation. Most people have probably forgotten he ever said that.
Who hasn't said stupid #### when they are drunk. Donte Stallworth ran over and killed a person while drunk and nobody could give a #### and he still works in the NFL. Cooper uses the dreaded N-word and everybody wants him kicked out of the NFL or worse. Get your head out of your ### people.
No one (or very few) wants him kicked out of the NFL. The NFL and the Eagles are a business, and in a business some one the negatively affects the bottom line will be let go. If the Eagles think that he will negatively affect the team they will release him.

It doesn't seem like they do, and he'll stick around. This was an embarssment to him, but if his teammates forgive him, it's time to move on.

had Cooper been drunk and run over someone and killed them, he'd have a had a job no problem Stallworth

implications of murder? sure - c'mon back Ray Lewis

rape a white chick ? love me Kobe, give her $$$ and come on back

say the N word if you don't have dark enough skin ? calls for losing your job and banning you from the NFL from the highest black towers

thank goodness we have the right priorities in this country

I hope Riley has a fantastic year - and BTW all this stuff? media inflated, I don't believe for a minute any of his teammates felt bad towards him. they thought they needed to say they did .... but because they all use the word each and everyday, it aint no big deal to them

and it shouldn't be - everyone uses the word, or no one does

had Cooper been drunk and run over someone and killed them, he'd have a had a job no problem Stallworth

say the N word if you don't have dark enough skin ? calls for losing your job and banning you from the NFL from the highest black towers
It's a lot easier to make a point when you get to lie to do so, huh?

Stallworth was suspended for a year.

Ray Lewis didn't murder anyone, nor was he charged with murder.

Kobe Bryant wasn't found guilty of anything.

Riley Cooper has not lost his job, nor been banned from the NFL.

thank goodness we have the right priorities in this country

I hope Riley has a fantastic year - and BTW all this stuff? media inflated, I don't believe for a minute any of his teammates felt bad towards him. they thought they needed to say they did .... but because they all use the word each and everyday, it aint no big deal to them

and it shouldn't be - everyone uses the word, or no one does
S t f u please

the point remains

in a country where 14 year old girls can have their unborn babies killed, where you can have 5 or 6 drunk driving convictions and still be driving, where child molesters roam our street's freely with a slap on the wrist and then they do same crimes again and again, where crime in many neighborhoods are rampant, where pro athletes get by with murder and rape with $$$$ paid, where elected officials and Wall Street and big business people fraud people for billions, where MLB guys juice and juice until the game isn't even fit to watch anymore ....

with a horrible economy, high unemployment, poor foreign relations and 18 trillion in debt

and people are worried about Riley Cooper's skin not being dark enough to say a word he hears everyday

that's pathetic, isn't it ?

the point remains

in a country where 14 year old girls can have their unborn babies killed, where you can have 5 or 6 drunk driving convictions and still be driving, where child molesters roam our street's freely with a slap on the wrist and then they do same crimes again and again, where crime in many neighborhoods are rampant, where pro athletes get by with murder and rape with $$$$ paid, where elected officials and Wall Street and big business people fraud people for billions, where MLB guys juice and juice until the game isn't even fit to watch anymore ....

with a horrible economy, high unemployment, poor foreign relations and 18 trillion in debt

and people are worried about Riley Cooper's skin not being dark enough to say a word he hears everyday

Blah blah blah blah blah. Riley Cooper is responsible for his own actions. He has nothing to do with anything you're talking about. Back to football.

the point remains

You're still making things up. And Riley Cooper is not a victim.

in the end, there are those of us who want to see racism eliminated, and those of you who want to keep it around forver

if you think certain colors of skin need special treatments, privileges, allowances, their own words to use, their own organizations that cater to only their skin color etc etc

then you're all for racism - you are in fact, racist by the very definition of the word

go Riley Cooper !!! you did nothing wrong man

in the end, there are those of us who want to see racism eliminated, and those of you who want to keep it around forver

if you think certain colors of skin need special treatments, privileges, allowances, their own words to use, their own organizations that cater to only their skin color etc etc

then you're all for racism - you are in fact, racist by the very definition of the word

I'm curious how old you are and where you live. Can you share that?

Racism: Being offending by a person using racial slurs to insult another.

Doing nothing wrong: Using racial slurs to insult another.

Got it.

You should be his PR person.

kutta - I don't mind

I was born and raised poor in Arkansas in an almost all white community. I went to college and played a lot of basketball with black guys, made some good friends. I traveled the US and abroad for 8 years after college and worked with every different skin color you can think of, every nationality, people from the East, West, North and South. My southern accent was made fun of everywhere I went I think. I'm 44 years old, I have a 2 kids and a wife of 19 years.

I have as little racism in me as anyone you'll meet - and that's the truth. I KNOW racist guys - I aint one of them.

Racism is looking at skin color and judging a person - its saying skin color defines you, shackles and binds you. Racism is when skin color is used against you in decision making.

Racism is saying a black skinned person can't vote, can't coach, can't be a manager, can't get grades high enough to go to college based on the fact he's got darker colored skin. Racism is saying a black man can't say a word.

Oh no, wait, that too is racism - but its when a white person can't ...... isn't it ?

Being a racist and invoking racism in the name of trying to eclipse racism, overcome racism and be anti-racist is fueling the fires guys - if you can't see that you're blind.

When reading Stealthy, am I the only one thinking about the scene in the movie Black Sheep where Chris Farley is hanging out with the Jamaican guys??

I may just target this guy in my draft. Put yourself in his shoes for a moment. He's no doubt been embarrassed by his actions and his name is being drug through the mud by the media for all the world to see. How do you respond to that? It seems most view this as a distraction, but is it really? How you would you respond? How do you shut up the talking heads after something like this? Do you think his coaches aren't using this as a motivating factor for him? How about Vick? Dude wants a ring, hasn't got a whole lot of options to throw the football to this year, and just so happens to know a little something about having his name drug through the mud. What do you think his advice was to him? With Maclin and Benn down, he's certainly got an opportunity in front of him. I can't imagine he's not as motivated and focused as he'll ever be.

Now that we've taken our moral temperatures, segregated ourselves accordingly and have chosen our sides, we now return you to the Riley Cooper: Football portion of the program.

We have seen that he is obviously welcomed back to his team and, realistically, let's understand that his team NEEDS him.

We also know that the Eagles GM is on record as to saying that his belief is that his team should develop young players on the team; that that is what they are there for and that he doesn't intend to stunt their potential development by bringing in older avalable FAs.

So, from a FF viewpoint, it appears that Riley Cooper is in position to be an every week player (probably starter) for this team and that holds some value. Probably not lights out but he is a big guy that represents a redzone presence so is it reasonable to see him as a guy who, in ppr, could be a solid WR3 with WR2 upside?

I think he could be a borderline WR3 at best. This will be a run first team and Kelly will feature the 3 TEs frequently.

Not sure why we're arguing about it all... the Supreme Court already said there's no racism anymore.

Well basically...

:shrug:

cstu said:
Stealthycat said:
http://www.wnd.com/2013/08/white-child-pummeled-by-blacks-on-bus/#hiaXVJCM5lyoYG3C.99

3 whites severely beat a black kid on a bus - why isn't the media i a frenzy about it ?

Because it was 3 black kids beating a white kid - that's the cold, hard truth isn't it ?
We get it - you're racist. Now stop.
:potkettle:
Ok, sure...if so I'm pretty bad at it having married an Indian/Black woman and visiting Africa every two years.

cstu said:
Stealthycat said:
http://www.wnd.com/2013/08/white-child-pummeled-by-blacks-on-bus/#hiaXVJCM5lyoYG3C.99

3 whites severely beat a black kid on a bus - why isn't the media i a frenzy about it ?

Because it was 3 black kids beating a white kid - that's the cold, hard truth isn't it ?
Ok, sure...if so I'm pretty bad at it having married an Indian/Black woman and visiting Africa every two years.
Your anti-semitic posts are common knowledge. You are at least as much of a racist as he is. Maybe not against black people but you are a bigoted POS either way.

Stealthycat said:

Perhaps the media isn't in a frenzy for the same reason they are not in a frenzy over this beating.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/06/seattle-gay-hate-crime_n_3709719.html

And I never once seen one of you people who are always talking about black mobs or blacks attacking whites expressing any outrage over someone who is gay who is viciously beaten by some bigots.

cstu said:
Stealthycat said:

Your anti-semitic posts are common knowledge. You are at least as much of a racist as he is. Maybe not against black people but you are a bigoted POS either way.
:lmao:

gay = bisexual = choice ........... you cannot change skin color though (and for the record, I got no problem with gay marriage)

don't call me racist - I'm the guy saying everyone should be treated the same - YOU are the one saying skin color dictates how one should be treated !!!!

SPOCK: The obvious visual evidence, Commissioner, is that he is of the same breed as yourself.

BELE: Are you blind, Commander Spock? Well, look at me. Look at me!

KIRK: You're black on one side and white on the other.

BELE: I am black on the right side.

KIRK: I fail to see the significant difference.

BELE: Lokai is white on the right side. All of his people are white on the right side.

http://i44.tinypic.com/wre6uq.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread