What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RIP Riley (3 Viewers)

Not only is the little shadyette going to fight through this, she's going to do so in a manner that will earn her a plaque in the 'Kick ### Baby' Hall Of Fame that's worthy of everyone stopping to appreciate. 

Ts&Ps
Now THAT sounds like a hall of fame Shady will enjoy visiting!   :P

All seriousness, thoughts and best wishes with your family GB. Looking forward to hearing positive updates

My 2nd son had a seizure at birth and spent the next 10 days in the NICU.

I read this and just walked into his room and gave my now healthy 19 month old a big hug and kiss.  Both my sons spent more than a week in the NICU, first due to a pneumothorax, so I know exactly how you're feeling.  It gets better man, the doctors and nurses in the NICU are great. Seriously the best group of medical professionals I've been around. I know there's little I can say that'll help, but know your family has my thoughts and prayers. It's tough, but your family will get through it and soon, it'll all just be pictures and another story to tell her about her crazy entry into this earth. 

Sorry to hear this - T & P Shady.

Agree with the others that say to be there as much as possible at this time.  When things improve for little Shady you can figure out when to go back to work. For now be there to support your wife and daughter.

My daughter recently had a few surgeries/ hospital stays and a trick (for lack of a better word) I used was to be 100% certain in my own mind that everything would be fine.  This allowed me to be reassuring to my wife and upbeat/positive when interacting with my kid.  Think of it as something you are going through now, but that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
shady, Stay strong for your wife and little boy. What is the name of your little girl? If someone else asked already apologies I missed it.  

Your family is in my thoughts and prayers.

Thoughts and prayers dude, sorry to hear... Hang in there! Hopefully this will be a blip on the radar and you'll have a nice healthy little girl this time next year.

Gut wrenching. Prayers to you and your family man. Hang in there and hopefully she will pull through with flying colors. All the best.

Shady - Hang in there and be a strong advocate for your daughter.  My son was in NICU for 6 weeks after he was born.  I was there every day, all day with my wife except when we had to go home to sleep to get enough energy to start the next day.  I even remember waking up and calling in the middle of the night when I inevitably woke up due to worrying to see how he was doing.  I remember being heavily involved in treatment decisions for my son and asking why are you doing this, what are the pros/cons to doing that, why are you not doing that, what other options are you considering, etc.  Through our input they tweaked his treatments at times and, in the end, he came out of things great.  He is now 11 and is a healthy boy.  So be sure to not only support your daughter by being there, but also being an advocate for her during treatment.  You are her voice so be sure to use it if you have to.  Stay strong, you can do this! 

T&P shady.  My son was born early, and at only ~4 lbs, and had the cord wrapped around his neck during labor.  He was in the NICU for a little bit, so I can relate to your feelings of elation and utter chaos.  I'll say this - as the other success stories have shown, newborns are not like you or I.  They have the ability to recover from things in a way, and at a pace, that "adults" just can't.  Our little guy wasn't even on the growth charts when he was born.  20 years ago, he probably would've had major difficulties as an adult, if he even survived.  By the time he was a year old, he was on track for every milestone and was 95th percentile in height and weight.  Now, he's almost 2, talking up a storm, still big for his age, and a perfectly healthy kid.  Another kid in his daycare class had a major seizure issue at 4 months, and she's fine now too. 

Babies are able to recover from things that adults can't.  They're resilient.  I hope things work out for you and your little one.  Hang in there.

Oh man, nothing hurts more than when your child is ill or hurting.  Sending you the most positive energy I can muster.  Stay strong and be the support for Mom and family.  I sincerely hope in a few weeks, everything will be back to normal and you can love up your baby and help her grow strong and true!

I can't imagine how difficult it would be to get through these days.  Stay strong; have hope.  My prayers are with you all.

This is awful.  As someone who just recently had a new daughter, I can't imagine what you're going through.  She'll fight through it and then you'll have the usual regrets from having to raise a daughter.  T&P.

Hang in there shady, and Riley will come through just fine. My daughter spent 5 weeks in the NICU and she turned 14 today. 

T&P to you and the wife and little Riley. 

Shady,

I'm  so sorry this happened to you. She's such a beautiful baby girl. My thoughts are with your family. Big hugs to you. 

How is your son handling this? I hope he's okay. 

I know you are conflicted on whether or not you should take time off to be with her, just do what you think is best.  

Smilin

Sorry to hear this shady. Hang in there and be strong for everyone. Sometimes all you can do is be there for someone, and that's ok.

Hang in there, shady.  My youngest had complications galore at birth and 5+ years later suffers lingering neurological effects, but let me tell you something: No matter what happens, you will love her for exactly who she is and should Riley have to endure long term complications, you will not be wondering "what could have been".  Take each day one at a time, don't focus on what the future may or may not bring and give that little girl all of your love each and every day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't read the whole thread to see if there are updates (yet), but thoprawishes.  As a parent myself, I can't imagine going through anything like this.  I have no words of wisdom to offer you, but there is a whole community here pulling for you, your daughter, and the rest of your family.

Shady,

I'm  so sorry this happened to you. She's such a beautiful baby girl. My thoughts are with your family. Big hugs to you. 

How is your son handling this? I hope he's okay. 

I know you are conflicted on whether or not you should take time off to be with her, just do what you think is best.  

Smilin
Justin is fine. Makes fun of us for crying then five minutes later cries about something stupid like his Legos or something. He keeps telling us it's fine she'll be home soon.

Gut-wrenching news Shady, but the stories shared here hopefully give you some hope.  And you're right, you probably don't know any of us, but we are all pulling for you and your daughter.  Good luck man, and do your best to stay strong.

Wow shady, I'm sorry to hear this. My daughter was born prematurely, and was in NICU for 16 days before we could bring her home. She wasn't eating and had to be fed through a feeding tube. There were other complications as well. She's about to turn 8 in a few months and eats everything in sight now. Kids are tougher than we think, and the nurses and doctors in that unit were the best. My thoughts are with you bud, hang in there. 

Man. shady- so sorry to hear this about Riley. I'm going to reinforce what many have been saying here about the amazing resilience of little ones. Born fighters. You hang in there and know that the thoughts and prayers of so many are pulling for you all.

Users who are viewing this thread