What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rising Costs Of Family Outings (1 Viewer)

🤷 they’re fairly standard around here. Not great, not bad. Definitely not 🤢 worthy. We prefer to make our own but they’ll do. 
Ours is horrendous. I don't understand how they're still in business. We're also spoiled with local joints around here and I get many aren't so lucky. 

Ours is horrendous. I don't understand how they're still in business. We're also spoiled with local joints around here and I get many aren't so lucky. 

I agree that there are likely wayyy better wing options out there, but I do like their Garlic Parmesan sauce and they have a very decent beer on tap (I think it might be one of Goose Island's lagers) for $3 all day/night.  

I've taken my kid(s) there a few times since I pretty much know what I'm getting every time.  I should really venture out.

Also... they're better than WingStop.

Makes sense. I was serious that it's genius for somebody to turn it into a business.

I assume parkour originated from helmet-less hooligans ripping and running through the concrete jungle destroying public and private property.

Providing a way for kids to get the benefits of it in a safer, supervised way without being a public nuisance is a great idea. 
yeah the main training area has a really nice spring floor so it’s low impact when they practice jumping off a 10 foot drop and things like that.  They’re still in beginner, oldest is ready to test for intermediate soon, summer is just so busy though hard to stay on a regular schedule 

For our birthdays (8th and 26th this month), my wife and I are going to see a Yankees game tonight. My first trip to the Stadium in 5 years? Her first ever MLB game (she’s a regular at local single A games.)

Going early, be there when the gates open. She wants a “It’s my first game certificate” (lol no but fr fr), go through the Yankees museum and Monument Park. We are opting to only bring water in a clear bag ($6 inside) but will be drinking beer ($17) most of the night.

Tickets were at a discount through the VA $185 each. Listen, they’re nice Field seats a few rows off foul territory, but SRSLY?

Hot Dogs $8 (pass)
Bucket of chicken ($20)
Labels steak sandwich ($25)
Grand Slam shake in souvenir cups ($15)

We are poor, but it’s a special night out. I want to spoil my bride of 7.5 weeks. Outside food is allowed and if it were up to her we’d be taking hoagies from the deli. But whatever, I’ll bite the bullet and splurge on $150 food.

Subway is $5.50 so we got that going for us. Which is nice.

Crazy - $525 to enjoy a nice experience. We’re not doing private clubs or suites, just regular folks who wanted to be close enough to hear the action.

Been super blessed while living in NYC the last 23 years. Probably been comped 40-50 times - floor seats for the Knicks 2000 playoff run to the Conference Finals, Mets clinching playoff game, subway World Series, Jets playoff win, Giants NFCCG dismantling of the Vikings, Rangers playoff seats below the glass. Plus a ton of regular season stuff, about 7-8 years of US Open tickets, FedEx golf playoffs…you get the idea. It’s how business gets done in NYC.

I’m out of the rat race and going into my pocket for the first time. Like…ever. I’m always someone’s guest, and they’re usually paying through their expense account of their business. Or I’m hosting and my firm is treating. This straight cash homie stuff is for the birds, man.

No complaints. Had a good life, got lots of stuff for free for decades. Don’t mind doing this one time. Going to enjoy ourselves and not sweat it.

But holy moly, some of you guys do this on the regular?
:jawdrop:

Last edited:
Thats cool they let u bring in outside food. I try to always do that. For concerts, I always try to bring food in the car to eat before and after.
Got to stretch those dollars for more experiences.

Thats cool they let u bring in outside food. I try to always do that. For concerts, I always try to bring food in the car to eat before and after.

Yeah, def could have gone a different route. Bring in sandwiches, snacks & drinks from home. Upper level seats were like $40 each. I could have kept it under $100. If we were taking the kids I could have kept it under $200.

Feeling a little flush bc we got enough from our wedding to buy a new car. Not making a habit of it but just wanted splurge one time.

Still, we’re not even going high end here. This is not super extravagant. It’s crazy that a nice experience is costing over $500.

Times have changed. Long way from $4 box seats to watch Mickey Lolich.

Yeah, def could have gone a different route. Bring in sandwiches, snacks & drinks from home. Upper level seats were like $40 each. I could have kept it under $100. If we were taking the kids I could have kept it under $200.

Feeling a little flush bc we got enough from our wedding to buy a new car. Not making a habit of it but just wanted splurge one time.

Still, we’re not even going high end here. This is not super extravagant. It’s crazy that a nice experience is costing over $500.

Times have changed. Long way from $4 box seats to watch Mickey Lolich.
It's a shame that going to a sporting event is now something that most can only afford once in a great while. Tiger stadium had the best tier pricing with that 4-3-2-1 dollar tickets. Combined with a quarter bus ride each way and a pocket full of penny candy you couldn't beat it.
This message brought to you by the old fart association. ⚾⚾

For our birthdays (8th and 26th this month), my wife and I are going to see a Yankees game tonight. My first trip to the Stadium in 5 years? Her first ever MLB game (she’s a regular at local single A games.)

Going early, be there when the gates open. She wants a “It’s my first game certificate” (lol no but fr fr), go through the Yankees museum and Monument Park. We are opting to only bring water in a clear bag ($6 inside) but will be drinking beer ($17) most of the night.

Tickets were at a discount through the VA $185 each. Listen, they’re nice Field seats a few rows off foul territory, but SRSLY?

Hot Dogs $8 (pass)
Bucket of chicken ($20)

We are poor, but it’s a special night out. I want to spoil my bride of 7.5 weeks. Outside food is allowed and if it were up to her we’d be taking hoagies from the deli. But whatever, I’ll bite the bullet and splurge on $150 food.

Crazy - $525 to enjoy a nice experience. We’re not doing private clubs or suites, just regular folks who wanted to be close enough to hear the action.

Been super blessed while living in NYC the last 23 years. Probably been comped 40-50 times - floor seats for the Knicks 2000 playoff run to the Conference Finals, Mets clinching playoff game, subway World Series, Jets playoff win, Giants NFCCG dismantling of the Vikings, Rangers playoff seats below the glass. Plus a ton of regular season stuff, about 7-8 years of US Open tickets, FedEx golf playoffs…you get the idea. It’s how business gets done in NYC.

I’m out of the rat race and going into my pocket for the first time. Like…ever. I’m always someone’s guest, and they’re usually paying through their expense account of their business. Or I’m hosting and my firm is treating. This straight cash homie stuff is for the birds, man.

No complaints. Had a good life, got lots of stuff for free for decades. Don’t mind doing this one time. Going to enjoy ourselves and not sweat it.

Need to see pics of bucket of chicken

Hot Dogs $8 (pass)
Bucket of chicken ($20)

from a rando IG account

buckets of chicken

Hot Dogs $8 (pass)
Bucket of chicken ($20)

from a rando IG account

buckets of chicken
Every once in a while, Mississppi and New York fiip the board on top-50 charts.

Bucket 🪣 of 🐓 is NOT a cup. Bona fide bucket, $22 - enough to feed 3-4 people. For $3 more they fill up the bottom with a ridiculous amount of garlic fries.

Legit value esp compared to the $18 shakes $17 beers.

Hot Dogs $8 (pass)
Bucket of chicken ($20)

I wouldn't call it regular, in a normal year anyway, but we definitely dipped into the vacation account to facilitate some of this stuff this year. We're in the education world. Expense accounts are pure comedy.

https://thehustle.co/americas-favorite-family-outings-are-increasingly-out-of-reach/

In the 1950s and ’60s — the so-called Golden Age of American capitalism — family outings were within the realm of affordability for most median income earners. Many blue-collar workers could afford new homes and cars and still take their kids to Disneyland.

Despite rising wages, many of those same activities are now out of reach for everyday Americans.

The Hustle analyzed the cost of three family activities in 1960 vs. 2022:

A baseball game

A movie at a theater

A one-day Disneyland visit

We found that these family outings have increased in cost at 2-3x the rate of inflation — and that, in order to afford them, today’s American families have to work up to 2x as many hours as they did 60 years ago.

Lots more in the article. Thought it was notable.

Are you seeing similar things? Tips or things you're seeing to deal with it?
Huge Vikings fan since I was a tike. M y son sorta so and my wife and daughter quasi Eagles fans. Neither of the 3 have been to an NFL game yet and I thought this would be a great experience. Until I saw the $$. Nose bleed tickets are and have been $160 each. Plus another $65 in "fees" per ticket. Stadium isn't far so gas is relatively minimal (not including $5 over the bridge). Parking $45. Figuring $50 for chow (probably an underestimate) and hopefully nothing for merch (probably a pipe dream). I'm looking at about $1000 for a family of 4 to go to an NFL football game.
:crazy::hot:

No thanks

https://thehustle.co/americas-favorite-family-outings-are-increasingly-out-of-reach/

In the 1950s and ’60s — the so-called Golden Age of American capitalism — family outings were within the realm of affordability for most median income earners. Many blue-collar workers could afford new homes and cars and still take their kids to Disneyland.

Despite rising wages, many of those same activities are now out of reach for everyday Americans.

A baseball game

A movie at a theater

We found that these family outings have increased in cost at 2-3x the rate of inflation — and that, in order to afford them, today’s American families have to work up to 2x as many hours as they did 60 years ago.

Huge Vikings fan since I was a tike. M y son sorta so and my wife and daughter quasi Eagles fans. Neither of the 3 have been to an NFL game yet and I thought this would be a great experience. Until I saw the $$. Nose bleed tickets are and have been $160 each. Plus another $65 in "fees" per ticket. Stadium isn't far so gas is relatively minimal (not including $5 over the bridge). Parking $45. Figuring $50 for chow (probably an underestimate) and hopefully nothing for merch (probably a pipe dream). I'm looking at about $1000 for a family of 4 to go to an NFL football game.

No thanks
I’ve noticed a lot more no-shows at games this year.

No thanks

It just seems unsustainable.

A baseball game

A movie at a theater

No thanks
Simply insane and unsustainable long term. I mentioned this in the Disney thread several months ago that they have priced everyday people out of a Disney vacation. But you know what? It is gonna come back around on them once the word starts getting out that it is so not worth the outrageous prices. Mark my words. Being that I have lived in Florida my entire life I do remember Disney was crazy popular in the 70’s and early to mid 80’s….then it was a ghost town for a while. They were begging us (Florida residents) to come. We had 4 day passes with hoppers back in 1996…..$40 bucks a person. $40 bucks. 5-15 minute waits for everything.

Give it time…..things have a way of working there way back down when demand dies. And this inflation we are seeing right now will eventually subside as demand nose dives. It’s coming.

No thanks

I get that it takes a lot of $$ to field an NFL team and it doesn't exist without everyone paying thier fair share. But it's hard for me to fathom a thousand bucks for a family to go view a game. Especially when you hear (for instance) what Amazon paid for a handful of Thursday games.

Last edited:
I'm surprised they haven't started using CGI to fill fake fans in the stadium yet. The TV revenue is all they care about these days it seems like.

If our boys are with us, even five guys is $50 with no drinks (pick up, eat at home).
:lmao: I went there on Saturday, just me, triple bacon cheese and regular fries, $25 even. You must not be feeding the boys.

I like 5 guys but F that. Won't be back.
I must not have seen this but “pickup” means drinks at home and the other still decent thing is one large fries is enough for everyone so 4 burgers (some 1 patties/no bacon) or hot dogs and 1 large fries is still $50. Even when I try to skimp it’s still a lot. I miss the good burger place that was closer. They shutdown, not sure why as they seemed decently busy.

This has basically become the when did **** get super expensive thread. Daughter gets license on Monday. She will get my old car. (Civic).... I haven't washed it in a while so during lunch I decided to take it to the local car wash, which haven't been too in forever. Just the basic vacuum, wash, interior clean windows was $24 dollars ...I almost turned around when I saw the price

This has basically become the when did **** get super expensive thread. Daughter gets license on Monday. She will get my old car. (Civic).... I haven't washed it in a while so during lunch I decided to take it to the local car wash, which haven't been too in forever. Just the basic vacuum, wash, interior clean windows was $24 dollars ...I almost turned around when I saw the price
And that Civic is probably worth $30K.

No thanks

Will this ever change? I mean, prices aren't going down. Same debates are going on in the Disney thread here. We went from regulars to maybe once every 5 years.

As much as I love the NFL, I'd get a kick out of seeing the Cowboys stadium half empty because ticket prices have gotten out of hand.

No thanks

Will this ever change? I mean, prices aren't going down. Same debates are going on in the Disney thread here. We went from regulars to maybe once every 5 years.

As much as I love the NFL, I'd get a kick out of seeing the Cowboys stadium half empty because ticket prices have gotten out of hand.
I have a friend who lives in Texas and told me parking across the street from Cowboys stadium at a Walmart lot runs $250.

I almost passed out hearing that.

If our boys are with us, even five guys is $50 with no drinks (pick up, eat at home).
:lmao: I went there on Saturday, just me, triple bacon cheese and regular fries, $25 even. You must not be feeding the boys.

I must not have seen this but “pickup” means drinks at home and the other still decent thing is one large fries is enough for everyone so 4 burgers (some 1 patties/no bacon) or hot dogs and 1 large fries is still $50. Even when I try to skimp it’s still a lot. I miss the good burger place that was closer. They shutdown, not sure why as they seemed decently busy.
Forgot about this, so my will power lasted all of about a month. Wife likes their fries and wanted to try one of their shakes so two orders of fires (regular), two shakes, one bacon cheeseburger...$42. I won't be back...until the next time of course.

Forgot about this, so my will power lasted all of about a month. Wife likes their fries and wanted to try one of their shakes so two orders of fires (regular), two shakes, one bacon cheeseburger...$42. I won't be back...until the next time of course.
Going out is damn expensive but why are you and your wife both getting regular fries? According to my store a large fry is $7 and two regulars is $11.40. Also, I’d think with shakes that two people = little fries. I guess it depends if they are a generous Five Guys or not. Years ago they literally filled your bag with extra fries. I’d do one regular fry for 5 of us and it would be enough since my 3 boys would blow through peanuts too.

Going out is damn expensive but why are you and your wife both getting regular fries? According to my store a large fry is $7 and two regulars is $11.40. Also, I’d think with shakes that two people = little fries. I guess it depends if they are a generous Five Guys or not. Years ago they literally filled your bag with extra fries. I’d do one regular fry for 5 of us and it would be enough since my 3 boys would blow through peanuts too.
Because we're glutton's obviously ;( Fries are hit or miss depending on who you get, sometimes a regular order will feed a family of 5, sometimes it's enough for me. That was her whole meal and now that I think about, all she ate that day so I wanted to make sure she had enough. I care like that.

No thanks

It definitely can. Interest rates going up is really going to pinch a lot of people and if there are significant layoffs due to recession, money will be tighter. No more free money thrown around for COVID. Add in companies reigning in expenses and I could easily see prices drop. Will be interesting.

Even with the beating the stock market has had, I feel good about our finances. Dual income, 1 out of 4 cars has a loan and it’s about 40% LTV, really cheap mortgage with 13 years left and 25% LTV and no equity loans or credit card debt. Outside of college costs over the next 6 years (kid 1 done in January!), I feel really good but I don’t have a new Jeep Grand Wagoneer or season tickets or a beach/lake home like it feels like everyone else does. I sometimes wonder what I’m doing wrong or if everyone else is living on credit card debt, 401k loans and home equity. We go out a lot and take multiple vacations but we also max out both 401ks. It does feel like the other shoe could drop at some point.

Because we're glutton's obviously ;( Fries are hit or miss depending on who you get, sometimes a regular order will feed a family of 5, sometimes it's enough for me. That was her whole meal and now that I think about, all she ate that day so I wanted to make sure she had enough. I care like that.
😂 I missed that she didn’t eat a burger but I do think a large fry “should” be enough but not always. I feel like during COVID they turned off the extra fries a bit, but I’ve seen the extra tray all the time now. Maybe they realized they needed extra fries with burger prices over $10. Also, I hope you are getting Cajun fries, they are awesome and since they have to put some fries in a different bin, they tend to just give you all of them.

We went Apple picking in Virginia over the weekend. We do this a couple times a year. This year is significantly more expensive. Stopped off at Starbucks for the wife and kids, $35. The apple orchard added an entrance ticket, which never existed before. $8 a head right out of the gate, no big deal. Then, rather than weigh your apples picked, you buy generically sized bags that cost more than they would previously. Each medium sized bag is $21, which is enough for maybe a dozen apples. Another $42. Ate lunch on site with ice cream and apple cider. By lunch it was chicken fingers, fries, and a pulled pork sandwich. Cost over $100. Bought a dozen apple doughnuts, some apple cider, candy, and some popcorn to take home. Another $100. Gas there and back was over $75. Stopped and picked up Chick-Fil-A, another $40.

Easily a $400 day to pick a few apples and eat some concession stand quality food. My wife who loves to do this activity even questioned if it was worth it between the cost, the car ride, and the changes to the orchard.

Farmers Market more expensive too. I normally take $80 a week to the market. Have had to up that to $100 a week, which is providing the same amount of food I was buying last year. I have no problem giving those farmers the extra dough - I know they need it.

But man, it sucks.

My wife and I are extremely lucky. We've scraped and clawed our asses off for 20 years to become debt free (outside of one car payment and our mortgage). We are making more money as a household than we ever thought possible. But man it feels like we are going backwards again.

Getting socked left and right on things that are just stupid expensive that are just normal necessities. I am definitely getting price fatigued right now and getting more frustrated by the day. I'm tired of being burned out.

A baseball game

A movie at a theater

No thanks
What am I missing? StubHub has tix for the game next week against the lions at $68 per which includes all fees.

No thanks

It definitely can. Interest rates going up is really going to pinch a lot of people and if there are significant layoffs due to recession, money will be tighter. No more free money thrown around for COVID. Add in companies reigning in expenses and I could easily see prices drop. Will be interesting.

Even with the beating the stock market has had, I feel good about our finances. Dual income, 1 out of 4 cars has a loan and it’s about 40% LTV, really cheap mortgage with 13 years left and 25% LTV and no equity loans or credit card debt. Outside of college costs over the next 6 years (kid 1 done in January!), I feel really good but I don’t have a new Jeep Grand Wagoneer or season tickets or a beach/lake home like it feels like everyone else does. I sometimes wonder what I’m doing wrong or if everyone else is living on credit card debt, 401k loans and home equity. We go out a lot and take multiple vacations but we also max out both 401ks. It does feel like the other shoe could drop at some point.

Sounds like we're similar. Dual income, 3 kids under 12, saving for college, 2 cars and a boat paid off, good mortgage rate with about half our home paid off, maxing out 401k's, etc. I just don't feel like I have money to throw around. I'm not buying a $90k vehicle. Not going to take my kids to a Saints game to sit in the nose bleeds and drop $700 (well, maybe I will).

We used to go down to the Gulf Coast in October because the kids had a few days off school. Places that weekend were always about $1000, this year they are $1800-$2500. Sorry kids, not gonna make it this year.

😂 I missed that she didn’t eat a burger but I do think a large fry “should” be enough but not always. I feel like during COVID they turned off the extra fries a bit, but I’ve seen the extra tray all the time now. Maybe they realized they needed extra fries with burger prices over $10. Also, I hope you are getting Cajun fries, they are awesome and since they have to put some fries in a different bin, they tend to just give you all of them.
The Cajun fries are what keep us coming back. My wife is gluten free so she's picky about what she eats and most fries don't agree with her. From my earlier $25 solo adventure she discovered she can handle these so we've gotten them a few times.

due to an injury, i’ve had to give up golf. it was getting expensive pre covid. for you golfers out there, what is a round at nowadays, $50-$80? on top of how expensive other items are, i wonder if golf courses go towards housing, the way of drive ins.

We went Apple picking in Virginia over the weekend. We do this a couple times a year. This year is significantly more expensive. Stopped off at Starbucks for the wife and kids, $35. The apple orchard added an entrance ticket, which never existed before. $8 a head right out of the gate, no big deal. Then, rather than weigh your apples picked, you buy generically sized bags that cost more than they would previously. Each medium sized bag is $21, which is enough for maybe a dozen apples. Another $42. Ate lunch on site with ice cream and apple cider. By lunch it was chicken fingers, fries, and a pulled pork sandwich. Cost over $100. Bought a dozen apple doughnuts, some apple cider, candy, and some popcorn to take home. Another $100. Gas there and back was over $75. Stopped and picked up Chick-Fil-A, another $40.

Easily a $400 day to pick a few apples and eat some concession stand quality food. My wife who loves to do this activity even questioned if it was worth it between the cost, the car ride, and the changes to the orchard.
Oof. $400 for $15 worth of apples from Trader Joe's. The experience I guess.

Farmers Market more expensive too. I normally take $80 a week to the market. Have had to up that to $100 a week, which is providing the same amount of food I was buying last year. I have no problem giving those farmers the extra dough - I know they need it.

But man, it sucks.

My wife and I are extremely lucky. We've scraped and clawed our asses off for 20 years to become debt free (outside of one car payment and our mortgage). We are making more money as a household than we ever thought possible. But man it feels like we are going backwards again.

Getting socked left and right on things that are just stupid expensive that are just normal necessities. I am definitely getting price fatigued right now and getting more frustrated by the day. I'm tired of being burned out.
Same. First year I'll make over 100k as a nurse. Doesn't feel any different then when I was making 80. Woo me.

No thanks

I have a friend who lives in Texas and told me parking across the street from Cowboys stadium at a Walmart lot runs $250.

I almost passed out hearing that.
Went to a game there last year. Very pricey, but also seemed to be no shortage of folks willing to pony up. Awesome trip.

due to an injury, i’ve had to give up golf. it was getting expensive pre covid. for you golfers out there, what is a round at nowadays, $50-$80? on top of how expensive other items are, i wonder if golf courses go towards housing, the way of drive ins.
This is another one that is out of control....... I'm paying $93 on a thursday morning. At one course I play. Its like 140 on the weekends. ITs crazy

This is another one that is out of control....... I'm paying $93 on a thursday morning. At one course I play. Its like 140 on the weekends. ITs crazy
that’s crazy high. like unaffordable high.

But man, it sucks.

Same. First year I'll make over 100k as a nurse. Doesn't feel any different then when I was making 80. Woo me.
I’m already married but how do you like to be woo’d?

Well it doesn't seem to be keeping the schmucks away

My little family did a 9 day drive up the california coast. Stayed in decent hotels and mostly dined out the entire time. I'm not even going to look at our credit card bill until I absolutely have to. Not to mention the cost for fuel for the round trip.

I just got back from a family vacation where we easily dropped $10k. We have two children and definitely like to splurge a little on vacations. Fortunately, both my wife and I make a pretty good wage where we are able to do this once a year without much impact. We don't do many family outings like sporting events because my wife and daughter couldn't care less about those things. I usually splurge on a few Browns games and Ohio State football games each year. Our "family outings" consist mostly of watching movies at home these days. We used to spend time on our boat when the kids were younger, but sold that a year and a half ago.

I guess enough people are still willing to pay for experiences, otherwise the prices wouldn't be where they are. I hated paying the fuel costs for our latest vacation, but I did it.
Where did you go?

couple summers ago my wife decided she wanted to learn to golf. bought clubs. hit the driving range a bunch. then took her to a cheap local muni for 9 holes for her first experience. terrible course. just awful, but she didn't care and i didn't want to blow a bunch of money if she hated it.

$22 for 9 holes, but throw lunch on top of that for another $30. not bad. but 9 holes.

she wanted to go to the course attached to the driving range we'd been going to. $58/ea for 18, cart is mandatory for $22. tack on lunch for another $40 because she wanted drinks. and that's when she realized that her dream of golfing every weekend was out.

i wonder if everyone has a magical figure in mind for a good or service that they won’t cross and have already given up….on another thread i said i won’t pay over $4 for my sbux iced coffee anymore. in my mind, i still think i should be able to grab lunch under $10 (used to be $5 and i still try for this). dining out i can’t go over $20 on entrees. i don’t even bother with live sporting events anymore unless i am gifted the tix. there are so many items, just curious if anyone else has guardrails.
$20K for a vehicle
$20 haircut
Avoid paid parking, valets and bellhops like the plague
Same with cover charges

Users who are viewing this thread