What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rock Action's Newbie IDP Thread (1 Viewer)

Fair enough. When would have been the right time, in your estimation?

I've gotten one person who doesn't like the deal, either. Andy from the SP would go Robinson's side. I think Gally was perplexed, too. I wouldn't have shipped Robinson if I almost fully didn't believe that each coach wants his guy running the ball, within reason. JAX has so many picks and Urban Meyer now at the helm. Couple that with Robinson's replacement-level and low DVOA from Football Outsiders, his 29th-best grade from PFF, and his thirty percent speed score given his BMI, and I think you've got a recipe for replacement. Of course, I may be REALLY wrong and be forced to regret sending away a 22.4 year old away so quickly from the roster, but I just think if he gets replaced, his stock is sunk and he becomes an asset that is now not worth much. I'd rather invest in guys with draft capital who are clear starters.
He's a hold through the draft. I expect him to be the starter once on the other side. Whether his backup is a vet minimum or mid round pick is inconsequential, but I think it's one or the other and potentially both. I understand the Jags are swimming in assets, but rb is one of the last positions a rebuilder should address. I think he's the lead guy through at least 21.

He's a hold through the draft. I expect him to be the starter once on the other side. Whether his backup is a vet minimum or mid round pick is inconsequential, but I think it's one or the other and potentially both. I understand the Jags are swimming in assets, but rb is one of the last positions a rebuilder should address. I think he's the lead guy through at least 21.
Ah. Yeah. That's what I'm betting against. Through the draft would be too late if they draft somebody. If I thought they were going to act rationally and not take a RB, I probably don't do the deal, but my uncertainty senses are going wild about Urban Meyer. Perhaps this will be a learning experience for me. At the very least, I've turned either a waiver wire add into a first, second, and starting TE that I sorely lack, or I've turned a pick in the pumpkin patch into a chariot back into a Honda. Time will tell on that one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fair enough. When would have been the right time, in your estimation?

I've gotten one person who doesn't like the deal, either. Andy from the SP would go Robinson's side. I think Gally was perplexed, too. I wouldn't have shipped Robinson if I almost fully didn't believe that each coach wants his guy running the ball, within reason. JAX has so many picks and Urban Meyer now at the helm. Couple that with Robinson's replacement-level and low DVOA from Football Outsiders, his 29th-best grade from PFF, and his thirty percent speed score given his BMI, and I think you've got a recipe for replacement. Of course, I may be REALLY wrong and be forced to regret sending away a 22.4 year old away so quickly from the roster, but I just think if he gets replaced, his stock is sunk and he becomes an asset that is now not worth much. I'd rather invest in guys with draft capital who are clear starters.
I am just not sure if the speed score and other measurable really matter a that much after proving through performance that he can do the job.

I think it was a fine deal but I am generally not as high in draft picks as I am on players that have shown to be good in the NFL.  Based on your view the deal makes sense.

Deal I just did in that league.

Gave James Robinson, JaMycal Hasty, Avery Williamson, Rashaan Evans

Got Dallas Goedert, 2021 2.04, 2022 1st round

Let me know what you think. Everything I'm looking at says "go."
It'd help to know if Hasty, Williamson, and Evans have any value in your league.  In my IDP dynasty I might keep Williamson, but Hasty and Evans would definitely get cut for incoming rookies.  (Evans burned me a couple of times last year, and I hold on to grudges.)

So, from my perspective, those picks look a lot better.  There's at least 3 potential stud MLBs (depending on landing spot), which makes that 2.04 more enticing.

In a normal league I'd take Robinson.

It'd help to know if Hasty, Williamson, and Evans have any value in your league.  In my IDP dynasty I might keep Williamson, but Hasty and Evans would definitely get cut for incoming rookies.  (Evans burned me a couple of times last year, and I hold on to grudges.)

So, from my perspective, those picks look a lot better.  There's at least 3 potential stud MLBs (depending on landing spot), which makes that 2.04 more enticing.

In a normal league I'd take Robinson.
I am having such utter trouble with the new board I'm not sure if I copied, reported, quoted, or shared your post. Sheesh.

I was thinking of that. Evans had value for me. Evans would probably be in contention for LB3 or so. Williamson was behind Spillane and Bush in PIT so I'd probably have had to cut him to make room for other guys.

Who are your three incoming studs?

I am just not sure if the speed score and other measurable really matter a that much after proving through performance that he can do the job.

I think it was a fine deal but I am generally not as high in draft picks as I am on players that have shown to be good in the NFL.  Based on your view the deal makes sense.
I think having had a Shanahan back on my first foray into RBs (Tim Hightower) in redraft led me to think that on-field performance could get you yanked and your value nil if you did. I haven't shaken that until today, really.

Thanks, though. I've thought long and hard about picks vs. points. I'm not sure where I fall on that. Obviously with Robinson, I felt it was so beyond the norm that I was given pause. If he was a second or third round pick, I wouldn't be worrying.  

Thanks for comments and feedback, as always. Something to think about before I make another IDP/offense combined deal.

I thought the deal was pretty good for you, rock. More than I would have traded for JRob. But I’m of similar opinion to you that not sure he is the long-term guy in JAX.

rockaction said:
I am having such utter trouble with the new board I'm not sure if I copied, reported, quoted, or shared your post. Sheesh.

I was thinking of that. Evans had value for me. Evans would probably be in contention for LB3 or so. Williamson was behind Spillane and Bush in PIT so I'd probably have had to cut him to make room for other guys.

Who are your three incoming studs?
Micah Parsons looks like a lock- he'll go high, and that usually (but not always, Simmons) means that he'll get heavy usage immediately.

Zaven Collins is a definite tackling machine, but from the AAC conference, which is a small knock.  

Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah is a little undersized for full time LB usage, but he won the Butkus award, and is a proven tackler.  I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up as a hybrid LB/Safety, which can be very lucrative if he gets hybrid designation.   

Nick Bolton has been getting a lot of love, b/c he led the SEC the last two years in defensive stops, but that's delivered with the caveat that he probably won't impress at the combine.   

Micah Parsons looks like a lock- he'll go high, and that usually (but not always, Simmons) means that he'll get heavy usage immediately.

Zaven Collins is a definite tackling machine, but from the AAC conference, which is a small knock.  

Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah is a little undersized for full time LB usage, but he won the Butkus award, and is a proven tackler.  I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up as a hybrid LB/Safety, which can be very lucrative if he gets hybrid designation.   

Nick Bolton has been getting a lot of love, b/c he led the SEC the last two years in defensive stops, but that's delivered with the caveat that he probably won't impress at the combine.  
I do know about Parsons, but haven't looked into the other guys yet. There will be no combine, so there's only pro days to go off of. You won't get that buzz surrounding guys you'll normally have, I'm assuming.

We don't have hybrid designations, but a safety gets more points per tackle than a linebacker, so if a pro team uses a player as a hybrid a safety designation makes him more valuable, I think.

I'm still not perfect with this, so anybody's mileage may vary.

I thought the deal was pretty good for you, rock. More than I would have traded for JRob. But I’m of similar opinion to you that not sure he is the long-term guy in JAX.
Thanks. I tried to shop him last year to people when I was sure they were in it. I got no responses or "I'm not interested in Robinson." Just was getting flat out "no" for a first, so I figured this was going to be as good as it gets. People guard their picks in our league, it seems. In my limited dealing, only a few part with them.

JOK will be a 100% snap player. And it will take a lot for me not to consider Surratt in the top 4 LB's.

JOK will be a 100% snap player. And it will take a lot for me not to consider Surratt in the top 4 LB's.
Where do you think these guys will go? I know it depends on the league, but imagine Patrick Queen went 2.08 or so last time, Simmons followed right after, and Kenneth Murray went 3.01. Parsons is one of the highest-graded guys ever over at PFF. I wonder when that trigger gets pulled. There are guys here in my league of course, so I'm not tipping my hand about who I'm taking, but I'm curious to know the lay of the land, really.

I do know about Parsons, but haven't looked into the other guys yet. There will be no combine, so there's only pro days to go off of. You won't get that buzz surrounding guys you'll normally have, I'm assuming.

We don't have hybrid designations, but a safety gets more points per tackle than a linebacker, so if a pro team uses a player as a hybrid a safety designation makes him more valuable, I think.

I'm still not perfect with this, so anybody's mileage may vary.

Thanks. I tried to shop him last year to people when I was sure they were in it. I got no responses or "I'm not interested in Robinson." Just was getting flat out "no" for a first, so I figured this was going to be as good as it gets. People guard their picks in our league, it seems. In my limited dealing, only a few part with them.
Yeah, that's right, I knew that - of course.  

I was just...testing you, to see if you were paying attention.  Yeah, that's it.

Yeah, that's right, I knew that - of course.  

I was just...testing you, to see if you were paying attention.  Yeah, that's it.
Heh. I never assumed otherwise, actually. It wasn't big news, regardless. It came out of a Schefter tweet. Anybody, including me until Andy Dufresne and Joe B pointed it out, could have missed it.

But, yeah, hey so I knew that too when Andy said it. Of course. Pshaw.

Where do you think these guys will go? I know it depends on the league, but imagine Patrick Queen went 2.08 or so last time, Simmons followed right after, and Kenneth Murray went 3.01. Parsons is one of the highest-graded guys ever over at PFF. I wonder when that trigger gets pulled. There are guys here in my league of course, so I'm not tipping my hand about who I'm taking, but I'm curious to know the lay of the land, really.
My main IDP league starts 8 IDPs, and gives 3 pts per solo tackle.  Queen went at 1.04.  Simmons and K.Murray also went in the 1st round.

Later that year Murray was packaged off along with Carr and Aldon Smith for Golladay, Prescott (post-injury), and Jeffrey.

Now, given how well the rookie RBs and WRs performed, maybe it wasn't the best year to take an LB in the 1st.   But trust me, it'll happen in 2021.

Overall, IDP leagues have a wider variance than standard leagues.   Which makes sense, as there's a lot more factors involved.

Parsons should go before 1.07.

If the eagles take him I could justify top 5 depending on how league values qb. Also that assumes starting 4 lb like my leagues do.

Given the quantity of high level WR, TE, and QB in this crop I am confident my late 2's will net a quality selection. In RB heavy leagues the tier drop may not hit until at least a bit into round 3. 

Updating this in a not-so-humble brag.

This team that we all worked on won the Zealots PPR 24 title this year.

QB Pat Mahomes, Mike White, Zach Wilson
WR Davante Adams, Ja'Marr Chase, DK Metcalf, Christian Watson, Courtland Sutton, Allen Lazard, DJ Chark, Michael Gallup (I traded Terry McLaurin and George Pickens, who played on my team and were drafted or acquired by me)
TE Dallas Goedert, David Njoku
RB Miles Sanders, Ezekiel Elliott, Breece Hall, D'Onta Foreman, Jeff Wilson, Cordarrelle Patterson, James Robinson (I traded AJ Dillon, Khalil Herbert, and Isiah Pacheco, who played on my team and were all drafted by me)
DL Josh Sweat, Jonathan Greenard, Grady Jarrett, Zach Allen, Dorance Arsmstrong, Dominique Robinson, Marcus Davenport, and a rotating cast
LB Micah Parsons, Frankie Luvu, Drue Tranquill, Lavonte David, Jordan Hicks, David Long, Willie Gay, Monty Rice (I traded Jamin Davis, who started a game or two for me)
DB/CB - Kamren Curl, Julian Love, Jonathan Owens (fiancé of Simone Biles), Marcus Jones, Damar Hamlin (yes, he played and started for my stupid -- by comparison to what he faced -- fantasy team Weeks 9-14. I was pulling for him right away to be okay), and others.

This year, this team went 10-4, finished tied for first in all-play, was first in points scored, first in week wins (highest score for the week), first in potential points. We snuck through the playoffs with a little bit of luck as the performances were down from usual, but it was a title nonetheless that stemmed from a good year in the underlying stats.

Thanks to the stalwarts of this thread and others for this. You guys are the only reason this happened -- you guided me along the path to IDP success. You guys all formed the foundation of my knowledge about this endeavor. Saw this through and won it with some grit and some luck.

Thanks, fellas. IDP guys are an interesting bunch and know tons about the game. Some of y'all are now in this league and are about the coolest leaguemates one could have. Peace.

Oh, and we need one for next year. Somebody left this year. Any interested parties contact Don Quixote of FBG fame.

Last edited:
Congrats on the win, @rockaction. Postseason run included knocking me off in the semifinals.

I’ll definitely take a PM from anyone interested in the vacant team. (For any existing Zealots who may be interested in adding one, I have Rutgers in my user name over there, which may identify me.)

Last edited:
Congrats on the win, @rockaction. Postseason run included knocking me off in the semifinals.

Thanks, Don. Your team was awesome and worthy of a repeat.

That postseason win hinged on an inkling and some forum reaffirmation about Marcus Jones. I thought I might pick him up with the limited budget I had, and then I saw the forum talking about him and their plans to bid on him and thought, especially after reading @massraider saying he would spare no expense at that point, "Why not a dollar?" Waivers ran, picked him up, started him, and he was the difference. 55 points or so the game he started for me. Whoa. And part of the reason I was streaming DBs at all was because of the forum and paid FBG content, so there's that, too.

Basically have a lot to be thankful for with both paid and unpaid content, because that was a bit of work paying off with a lot of luck. But it was a forum FBG special, too.

Thanks, Don. Your team was awesome and worthy of a repeat.

That postseason win hinged on an inkling and some forum reaffirmation about Marcus Jones. I thought I might pick him up with the limited budget I had, and then I saw the forum talking about him and their plans to bid on him and thought, especially after reading @massraider saying he would spare no expense at that point, "Why not a dollar?" Waivers ran, picked him up, started him, and he was the difference. 55 points or so the game he started for me. Whoa. And part of the reason I was streaming DBs at all was because of the forum and paid FBG content, so there's that, too.

Basically have a lot to be thankful for with both paid and unpaid content, because that was a bit of work paying off with a lot of luck. But it was a forum FBG special, too.
I think I deserve a championship ring as i was part of your organization after putting you over the top withe Adams and Zeke.....hahahahahaha

This really was a great thread and showed that people on the board are more than willing to care about one's team and will share knowledge to help one out. Even someone, like myself, who was probably unfamiliar to most contributors beforehand. Anyway, I had shelved the thread because there were a few people in my league, and I didn't want to show my hole cards, but I needn't have worried. Gally became counsel and soundboard to my thoughts the past two years, and Don and Enderdog are active as well, and I've found myself conversant and doing deals with them; also finding counsel and advice along the way from their perspectives and thoughts.

Really, there was nothing to hide -- at least, to a degree, anyway. That said, the "newbie" aspect is gone, so I won't resurrect the thread, but it was instrumental in getting me going in the IDP landscape. Wouldn't trade it for most other fantasy teams/leagues, and I'm glad I started it. There were a lot of opinions to be listened to, and almost everyone had really good reasoning behind theirs. Just another cool example of why the forums on this board are special to me.

So an early Saturday morning thanks again regardless of whether or not my endeavors were successful or not. Just the support qua support deserves a thank you.

I seem to have a community size limit. The IDP forum is just right. The Shark Pool overwhelms me now.

I seem to have a community size limit. The IDP forum is just right. The Shark Pool overwhelms me now.

I can see that. When it becomes hard to keep track of who is who, it can become hard to judge reputation (and the weight we place on advice or thoughts) because of a lack of accountability due to numbers, and the discourse can get diluted or become not as good as a smaller community.

I'm comfortable in the SP because I spend a lot of time there and can weight a person's opinions accordingly.

I’ll definitely take a PM from anyone interested in the vacant team. (For any existing Zealots who may be interested in adding one, I have Rutgers in my user name over there, which may identify me.)
Thought I’d bump this with the note that still have a vacancy to fill, if anyone here is interested.

Thanks for the reply! Good luck this season! This thread was a fun read.
While that league is now full, I can PM you link to the Zealots application form and they can put you on the list if vacancies in other leagues are available or become available.

Figured I'd update the thread even though it's really pretty much dead. It's more for congratulating this year's winner of the league, Don Quixote. The New York Jets (my team) squared off against the New York Giants (his team) in the final. He won, 267-244, but it was tense through the late afternoon until Julian Love and Derwin James combined to put me away before nightfall on the West Coast.

My finishing roster from last year to this year looks a lot different, and could use some improvement. We shall see how it happens as I have limited (zero) picks going into next year. It'll get done, somehow. I'm counting on some young guys on offense to come through. I will not be building much on defense, it seems.

But congrats to Don for winning and to Enderdog and Gally for also being along for the ride. Always fun with these guys.

Final Rooster:

QB - Mahomes, Browning
RB - Breece Hall, Alvin Kamara, Miles Sanders, D'Onta Foreman, Jeff Wilson, Kendre Miller, Ezekiel Elliott, Emari Demercado
WR - Ja'Marr Chase, DK Metcalf, Davante Adams, Nico Collins, Odell Beckham, DJ Chark, Dontayvion Wicks, Andre Iosvias, Demario Douglas, Rashid Shaheed, Demarcus Robinson
TE - Dallas Goedert, Taysom Hill, Jonnu Smith
DE - Micah Parsons, Jonathan Greenard, Josh Sweat, Yaya Diaby, Malcolm Koonce, BJ Ojulari
LB - Krys Barnes, De'Vondre Campbell, Willie Gay, Lavonte David, Nate Landman, Frankie Luvu, David Long, Isaiah McDuffie, Jeremiah Owusu-Koromoah, Ivan Pace, Drue Tranquill
DB - Markquese Bell, Kamren Curl, Ifeatu Melifonwu

And that's about it. I'll need to cut about four of these guys to get down to forty, per Zealots' restricted free agent rules. Ojulari and Barnes look susceptible. That'll about do it. Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Figured I'd update the thread even though it's really pretty much dead. It's more for congratulating this year's winner of the league, Don Quixote. The New York Jets (my team) squared off against the New York Giants (his team) in the final. He won, 267-244, but it was tense through the late afternoon until Julian Love and Derwin James combined to put me away before nightfall on the West Coast. The finishing roster from this year to last year looks a lot different, and could use some improvement. We shall see how it happens as I have limited (zero) picks going into next year.

It'll get done, somehow. I'm counting on some young guys on offense to come through. I will not be building much on defense, it seems.

But congrats to Don for winning and to Enderdog and Gally for also being along for the ride. Always fun with these guys.

Final Rooster:

QB - Mahomes, Browning
RB - Breece Hall, Alvin Kamara, Miles Sanders, D'Onta Foreman, Jeff Wilson, Kendre Miller, Ezekiel Elliott, Emari Demercado
WR - Ja'Marr Chase, DK Metcalf, Davante Adams, Nico Collins, Odell Beckham, DJ Chark, Dontayvion Wicks, Andre Iosvias, Demario Douglas, Rashid Shaheed
DE - Micah Parsons, Jonathan Greenard, Josh Sweat, Yaya Diaby, Malcolm Koonce, BJ Ojulari
LB - Krys Barnes, De'Vondre Campbell, Willie Gay, Lavonte David, Nate Ladman, Frankie Luvu, Isaiah McDuffie, Jeremiah Owusu-Koromoah, Ivan Pace, Drue Tranquill

And that's about it. I'll need to cut two guys to get down to forty. Ojulari and Barnes look susceptible. That'll about do it. Thanks for reading.
Thanks man. Fun season and always great playing with you, Gally, and Enderdog.

I’ll plug that we do have one vacancy coming up (Chargers). If any FBG interested in joining, send me a PM.

Figured I'd update the thread even though it's really pretty much dead. It's more for congratulating this year's winner of the league, Don Quixote. The New York Jets (my team) squared off against the New York Giants (his team) in the final. He won, 267-244, but it was tense through the late afternoon until Julian Love and Derwin James combined to put me away before nightfall on the West Coast. The finishing roster from this year to last year looks a lot different, and could use some improvement. We shall see how it happens as I have limited (zero) picks going into next year.

It'll get done, somehow. I'm counting on some young guys on offense to come through. I will not be building much on defense, it seems.

Final Rooster:

QB - Mahomes, Browning
WR - Ja'Marr Chase, DK Metcalf, Davante Adams, Nico Collins, Odell Beckham, DJ Chark, Dontayvion Wicks, Andre Iosvias, Demario Douglas, Rashid Shaheed
LB - Krys Barnes, De'Vondre Campbell, Willie Gay, Lavonte David, Nate Ladman, Frankie Luvu, Isaiah McDuffie, Jeremiah Owusu-Koromoah, Ivan Pace, Drue Tranquill

And that's about it. I'll need to cut two guys to get down to forty. Ojulari and Barnes look susceptible. That'll about do it. Thanks for reading.
Thanks man. Fun season and always great playing with you, Gally, and Enderdog.

I’ll plug that we do have one vacancy coming up (Chargers). If any FBG interested in joining, send me a PM.
Somebody should take the vacancy as we could use some fresh blood in the league. For me it's a league I use to help get value inputs to use in other higher dollar value leagues. Kind of like a minor leagues where you can try out some things and see how it plays out. Also, nice to have leaguemates on this board to bounce things off of.

I'd also advocate taking the vacancy. There are those of us in the league that play it with a passion befitting a good fantasy football league. Don Quixote, Gally, Enderdog, and I are very attentive owners. It would help us to get another attentive owner in the league and it might benefit those interested in having fun with a free league with guys from the board. That's hopefully the allure of it all. Drop a note here if you're interested or PM any one of us.

If you're reading this, chances are you're an IDP guy and you'd fit right in!

I'd also advocate taking the vacancy. There are those of us in the league that play it with a passion befitting a good fantasy football league. Don Quixote, Gally, Enderdog, and I are very attentive owners. It would help us to get another attentive owner in the league and it might benefit those interested in having fun with a free league with guys from the board. That's hopefully the allure of it all. Drop a note here if you're interested or PM any one of us.

I do have someone from here that PM’d me and sent in application. I’m just connecting with leadership there to get final approval of Zealots application to get him onboarded.

(ETA: Final approval received for this one. I will let person out themselves if they choose. Will send an e-mail welcoming him tonight after I get him onboarded on the site.)

But Zealots is great in general and other vacancies across for anyone looking for something to play in.

Last edited:

I do have someone from here that PM’d me and sent in application. I’m just connecting with leadership there to get final approval of Zealots application to get him onboarded.

(ETA: Final approval received for this one. I will let person out themselves if they choose. Will send an e-mail welcoming him tonight after I get him onboarded on the site.)

But Zealots is great in general and other vacancies across for anyone looking for something to play in.
I’m the lucky new owner, looking forward to it!

Users who are viewing this thread