What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rookie DL (1 Viewer)

Schulz

Footballguy
Beyond the "big two" of Ziggy Ansah and Dion Jordan, who are the best prospects for a contracts/dynasty league?

Right now I have them:

Margus Hunt Damontre Moore Corenellius Carradine Datone Jones Quanterus Smith Just wondering if anyone has thoughts about who is most likely to get snaps right away vs. someone like Tank Carradine who you might have to wait on.

Ziggy is the only one I think has a shot at solid 2013 numbers unless someone is injured, jones may get the snaps but don't think he gets enough tackles to be considered.

Training camp reports rave on Damontre Moore. There were a few blurbs in Cecil's camp reports about Q-Smith but nothing lately that I have seen. Apparently Dion Jordan is injured so he's not practicing right now.

He doesn't play DE (yet) but the guy is Mingo. He is going to be a disruptive force. To me, he is Demarcus Ware waiting to happen.

He doesn't play DE (yet) but the guy is Mingo. He is going to be a disruptive force. To me, he is Demarcus Ware waiting to happen.
I heard Peter King raving the other day about Mingo on a Podcast. He said that the Cleveland coaching staff loves him and thinks he's going to be all over the field as the season progresses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoss Style said:
msommer said:
Mingo's listed as LB, no?
Yeah, so far. He played a lot of D-Line in College and many (including myself) think he'll be back there at some point, especially after he gains some more weight. He's already 6'4, 240lbs. Some sites still have him listed as DE, like CBS [http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/roster/CLE/cleveland-browns), although the Browns official site has him listed as LB.
I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but the only way Mingo is listed as a DE is if Cleveland moves to a base 4-3. That will have to wait until Horton is no longer the Def. Coordinator. Mingo would have to add weight to play end in a 4-3, it would be almost impossible to do it in a 3-4. Mingo's skill set makes him an ideal rush LB. I would plan on him being just that for a long time. Horton believes in bringing pressure and Mingo should be bringing it often, but it won't be from the DE position.

The two guys I like the most are the two guys you'll have to wait on (2014 and beyond) Carradine and Smith. I'm not expecting much this year at all. If they can get back to pre injury form, they both have DL1 upside in my opinion. I like both Hunt and Moore, and both should be useful this year, but I view them as more of a DL2.

My rankings: Carradine, Smith, Hunt, Moore. I see no reason to even draft Jones.

Hoss Style said:
msommer said:
Yeah, so far. He played a lot of D-Line in College and many (including myself) think he'll be back there at some point, especially after he gains some more weight. He's already 6'4, 240lbs. Some sites still have him listed as DE, like CBS [http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/roster/CLE/cleveland-browns), although the Browns official site has him listed as LB.
I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but the only way Mingo is listed as a DE is if Cleveland moves to a base 4-3. That will have to wait until Horton is no longer the Def. Coordinator. Mingo would have to add weight to play end in a 4-3, it would be almost impossible to do it in a 3-4. Mingo's skill set makes him an ideal rush LB. I would plan on him being just that for a long time. Horton believes in bringing pressure and Mingo should be bringing it often, but it won't be from the DE position.

The two guys I like the most are the two guys you'll have to wait on (2014 and beyond) Carradine and Smith. I'm not expecting much this year at all. If they can get back to pre injury form, they both have DL1 upside in my opinion. I like both Hunt and Moore, and both should be useful this year, but I view them as more of a DL2.

My rankings: Carradine, Smith, Hunt, Moore. I see no reason to even draft Jones.
I'd flip Carradine and Smith because the 49'ers run the 3-4. Other than that I agree with everything you wrote

Hoss Style said:
msommer said:

I'd flip Carradine and Smith because the 49'ers run the 3-4. Other than that I agree with everything you wrote
Believe me, that was a concern. I'm just that high on Carradine. I think he steps right into the Justin Smith role and produces much like Smith over the last few years. Smith's play started falling off last year, but Smith has been a top 15 guy for most of his career. Generally, I'll pick the 4-3 end over the 3-4 end. At least 90% of the time. This is just one of the exceptions.

Don't mean to hijack, but to be clear, Justin Smith's play didn't just 'start falling off last year'. He sustained a serious injury late in the season (don't remember the specifics other than upper extremity - I think it was a torn muscle - shoulder or biceps/triceps maybe).

Instead of having season ending surgery, he chose to play through it, but was not the same. More important to the 49ers, the entire defense wasn't the same (especially Aldon Smith, whose sack numbers fell off), as the team learned just how important Smith was disrupting the line of scrimmage and occupying blockers so that he and particularly his teammates could make plays.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoss Style said:
msommer said:

Calm down, buddy. I was just reponding to the question in relation to another poster saying he thinks he'll move to DE at some point. Someone had said it earlier and I agreed with it possibly happening in the future.

I can't count how many times people have posted "the only way it happens" and then it ends up happening. I actually agree with what you said about Clevland's D (for the most part) but I've also seen LBs on many teams put their hands on the ground just enough where a few sites start listing him as a DE.

I'm just keeping an open mind to the possibilities here and responding to the question of how some could view him as a future DL.

someone that might warrant consideration if you're looking for someone to sit on and let marinate would be devin taylor for DET. he has looked pretty good through camp and two preseason games. dude is a freaking tree and has jim washburn teaching him the pro game. barring inury, i wouldn't expect a lot from him this year but if he develops i could see him supplanting jason jones as early as next year.

Users who are viewing this thread