What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rooney's stupidity is Luck's gain (1 Viewer)

Art Rooney II asked Keith Butler if he wanted to go to a team that hosts Super Bowls or stay with one that wins them.
:lmao:
:shrug:was he lying?
No. I was enjoying the jab at the Colts.
: :hifive:
He's 55 isn't he? I want someone younger anyway. I initially didn't know he was that old. He could fall over from a heart attack any time.
Yet you are all exited that the Colts hired 59 yr old Bruce Arians? :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Art Rooney II asked Keith Butler if he wanted to go to a team that hosts Super Bowls or stay with one that wins them.
He's 55 isn't he? I want someone younger anyway. I initially didn't know he was that old. He could fall over from a heart attack any time.
Who said I was excited? All I did was comment about Rooney. I'm not that excited about Arians.

Who said I was excited? All I did was comment about Rooney. I'm not that excited about Arians.
how is it Luck's gain then?

'Kenny Powers said:
'Hoss_Cartwright said:
'Steelfan7 said:
'Hoss_Cartwright said:
'HellToupee said:
'roadkill1292 said:
'HellToupee said:
Well, he's certainly better than what they had and from what I hear he's been good for Big Ben, even with the so called, "bad play calling". So he's not a bad start for Luck. That doesn't mean I feel he's all world.

'Kenny Powers said:
'Hoss_Cartwright said:
'Steelfan7 said:
'Hoss_Cartwright said:
'HellToupee said:
'roadkill1292 said:
'HellToupee said:
:shrug: was he lying?
Well, he's certainly better than what they had and from what I hear he's been good for Big Ben, even with the so called, "bad play calling". So he's not a bad start for Luck. That doesn't mean I feel he's all world.
Uh no. Golfing buddy and neighbor, but not much else.

'Kenny Powers said:
'Hoss_Cartwright said:
'roadkill1292 said:
garbage post
See, it's comments like this that just confuse me. I assume gb Hoss, who's been around here a long time, started this thread just to swap playful insults with the Stillers guys. But he's just not funny. And if he's serious, then he's no better than those guys you see posting at the end of ESPN stories or some similar place. So what are you really doing, Hoss?
Actually, the Steeler guys are so caught up in the Butler talk, when the main subject of this thread was Arians and Rooney firing him because he wants to run the ball more. So when someone posts like the one I posted "garbage post" to, well, it really was. I can see the humor attempt however.
Rooney saying he wants to run the ball more is as much an excuse to get rid of Arians as saying Arians retired was.
Let's just put to bed two rumors here once and for all.First, Art never said he wanted to run the ball more.Second, Tomlin never said he wanted Arians to return.Once people accept these two facts, a lot of the white noise about the situation goes away.

'Kenny Powers said:
'Hoss_Cartwright said:
'roadkill1292 said:
garbage post
See, it's comments like this that just confuse me. I assume gb Hoss, who's been around here a long time, started this thread just to swap playful insults with the Stillers guys. But he's just not funny. And if he's serious, then he's no better than those guys you see posting at the end of ESPN stories or some similar place. So what are you really doing, Hoss?
Actually, the Steeler guys are so caught up in the Butler talk, when the main subject of this thread was Arians and Rooney firing him because he wants to run the ball more. So when someone posts like the one I posted "garbage post" to, well, it really was. I can see the humor attempt however.
Rooney saying he wants to run the ball more is as much an excuse to get rid of Arians as saying Arians retired was.
Let's just put to bed two rumors here once and for all.First, Art never said he wanted to run the ball more.Second, Tomlin never said he wanted Arians to return.Once people accept these two facts, a lot of the white noise about the situation goes away.
I'll buy #2, but in my mind Rooney did insinuate he wants to run the ball more and clearly doesn't like Arians pass happy offense.

'Kenny Powers said:
'Hoss_Cartwright said:
'roadkill1292 said:
garbage post
I'll buy #2, but in my mind Rooney did insinuate he wants to run the ball more and clearly doesn't like Arians pass happy offense.
I really don't like to be that guy, but what have you read or seen that leads you to insinuate that?I agree that he didn't like Arians offense, but disagree that the "pass happy" aspect of that had anything to do with Arians being non-tendered. It was a results, not style, oriented decision.

OK. I'm really not trying to talk you out of your stance, but you do understand that nothing in either of those posts actually contains anything communicated by Rooney even indirectly, right?
Don't stop him now, treat. He's on a roll.Perhaps one may want to actually listen to these interviews that apparently contain these statements of Rooney's that keep being referred to:

Part I

Part II

You'll notice nowhere in either of those does he espouse "Getting back to 1976" or "Abandoning the passing game" or "disliking a pass happy offense." As a matter of fact, in part 2, during a conversation about the prolific increase in passing in the NFL and some of the dominant QB's, he flat out states something to the effect of "the rules have changed to allow for more prolific passers and that's what we're looking for our QB to be, to be able to produce like these elite quarterbacks."

That doesn't sound like anything remotely resembling the reason given in post #51 for why "Rooney is stupid":

For wanting to take a good passing team and force them to run it like it was 1976 with Franco or like it's Jerome Bettis in his prime.
What he DID say:-Ben needs to take less sacks

-Ben needs to take less hits

-The Steelers need Ben to remain healthy

-The Steelers need to score more points

-Anything that can be done to assist in these endeavors should be investigated/implemented.

I'm pretty sure he doesn't mention the running game specifically a single time in either one of those interviews.

It is very likely that Bruce Arians was fired because his offense didn't score enough. Not because "Rooney is stupid" and not because Rooney wants to get back to "Eddie Shore Old Time Hockey."

If the Colts are butch with 20-ish points a game, with a handful of splashy plays/games over the course of the year, then they got their man, but 20-ish points doesn't really cut it in today's NFL if you expect to get to, and win, many playoff games.

How Is Rooney stupid?
For wanting to take a good passing team and force them to run it like it was 1976 with Franco or like it's Jerome Bettis in his prime. The Steelers are made differently now. You adjust your scheme to meet the talent of your team, not force your talent to fit a scheme. I see no reason why the Steelers can't continue being a good passing team and make adjustments with the OL as far as blocking goes. Frankly, they don't have the personnel to be a good running team right now. They fired Arians because he didn't want to ground and pound. Given the current Steeler team, that makes Rooney stupid. His dad was successful because he surrounded himself with great football people and stayed out of their business. Jr needs to take a lesson from daddy.
Where did you get that Rooney wants to run the ball more?
http://www.steelerslounge.com/2012/01/art-rooney-asserts-authority/Getting back to roots pretty much means run the ball more. Anyone that tries to say otherwise is fooling themselves.
That's 100% an opinion piece.The term attributed to Rooney was "blue collar football".Stressing fundamentals. Getting away from the sandlot/homerun mentality. Cutting ties with an OC that emphasizes those very qualities.Blue collar does not mean run more.I'm not asserting it means pass more either. I am asserting it means pass smarter and run smarter. Not necessarily more or less of either.
:goodposting: Exactly how I thought he meant it.

'Hoss_Cartwright said:
'roadkill1292 said:
garbage post
Huh, wonder how the Butler talk got fired up in a thread about Arians? Oh yeah...
Here add this to the list....ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Colts plan to hire Steelers linebackers coach Keith Butler as their defensive coordinator.Butler is in his ninth year on the Steelers’ coaching staff after joining the team prior to the 2003 season and has been instrumental in the development of James Farrior, James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley, among others. The Steelers have consistently led the NFL in total defense, rushing defense, and sacks, under his tenure. Schefter notes that Chuck Pagano, Bruce Arians and Butler were all on Butch Davis' staff in Cleveland in 2001.Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter Jan 29 - 10:55 AM
HAHAHA!You guys can have him!All day, every day and twice on Sundays.
I guess we can have Butler too.

'Hoss_Cartwright said:
'roadkill1292 said:
garbage post
Huh, wonder how the Butler talk got fired up in a thread about Arians? Oh yeah...
Here add this to the list....ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Colts plan to hire Steelers linebackers coach Keith Butler as their defensive coordinator.Butler is in his ninth year on the Steelers' coaching staff after joining the team prior to the 2003 season and has been instrumental in the development of James Farrior, James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley, among others. The Steelers have consistently led the NFL in total defense, rushing defense, and sacks, under his tenure. Schefter notes that Chuck Pagano, Bruce Arians and Butler were all on Butch Davis' staff in Cleveland in 2001.Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter Jan 29 - 10:55 AM
:own3d:

'Hoss_Cartwright said:
'roadkill1292 said:
garbage post
Here add this to the list....ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Colts plan to hire Steelers linebackers coach Keith Butler as their defensive coordinator.Butler is in his ninth year on the Steelers' coaching staff after joining the team prior to the 2003 season and has been instrumental in the development of James Farrior, James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley, among others. The Steelers have consistently led the NFL in total defense, rushing defense, and sacks, under his tenure. Schefter notes that Chuck Pagano, Bruce Arians and Butler were all on Butch Davis' staff in Cleveland in 2001.Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter Jan 29 - 10:55 AM
:own3d:
Not sure why you said that. At the time that's what everyone thought just happened, so sure, why would my comment be out of line with that :shrug:

'Hoss_Cartwright said:
'roadkill1292 said:
garbage post
Here add this to the list....ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Colts plan to hire Steelers linebackers coach Keith Butler as their defensive coordinator.Butler is in his ninth year on the Steelers’ coaching staff after joining the team prior to the 2003 season and has been instrumental in the development of James Farrior, James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley, among others. The Steelers have consistently led the NFL in total defense, rushing defense, and sacks, under his tenure. Schefter notes that Chuck Pagano, Bruce Arians and Butler were all on Butch Davis' staff in Cleveland in 2001.Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter Jan 29 - 10:55 AM
I only posted what was being reported at that time :shrug: I didn't intend for the entire thread to be about Butler when the OP was about Rooney and Arians.

Hoss - I like you a lot, but you need to just drop this thread and walk away. Treat, 5-ish, and some of the other :towelwave: fans are bringing Coors Light Cold Hard Facts to this discussion, and you have TMZ rumor and innuendo.

Facts > speculation.

Hoss - I like you a lot, but you need to just drop this thread and walk away. Treat, 5-ish, and some of the other :towelwave: fans are bringing Coors Light Cold Hard Facts to this discussion, and you have TMZ rumor and innuendo.

Facts > speculation.
I'll bet most non-Steeler fans believe what I believe when it comes to Rooney's statement about "back to Steeler roots", thus the inuendo has some merit. At least to a lot of non-Steeler fans it does. I've pretty much said all I can say about his subject.

Hoss - I like you a lot, but you need to just drop this thread and walk away. Treat, 5-ish, and some of the other :towelwave: fans are bringing Coors Light Cold Hard Facts ™ to this discussion, and you have TMZ rumor and innuendo.

Facts > speculation.
I'll bet most non-Steeler fans believe what I believe when it comes to Rooney's statement about "back to Steeler roots", thus the inuendo has some merit. At least to a lot of non-Steeler fans it does. I've pretty much said all I can say about his subject.
Yet there was an audio interview posted above (by 5ish IIRC) that mentions NOTHING of turning the offensive clock back to 1976. There is nothing to this except your fanciful imagination. The fact of the matter is that - despite massive evidence to the contrary - no one is advocating turning back the clock. Hence, we're dealing with nothing more than your fanciful imagination.Essentially, I challenge you to produce a link, quote, or something that says that the next Steeler OC WILL DEFINITELY go back to 3 yards and a cloud of dust. If you come back with something to what you posted in response to me, I will assume you have nothing and are just rumor-mongering.

Hoss - I like you a lot, but you need to just drop this thread and walk away. Treat, 5-ish, and some of the other :towelwave: fans are bringing Coors Light Cold Hard Facts ™ to this discussion, and you have TMZ rumor and innuendo.

Facts > speculation.
Yet there was an audio interview posted above (by 5ish IIRC) that mentions NOTHING of turning the offensive clock back to 1976. There is nothing to this except your fanciful imagination. The fact of the matter is that - despite massive evidence to the contrary - no one is advocating turning back the clock. Hence, we're dealing with nothing more than your fanciful imagination.Essentially, I challenge you to produce a link, quote, or something that says that the next Steeler OC WILL DEFINITELY go back to 3 yards and a cloud of dust. If you come back with something to what you posted in response to me, I will assume you have nothing and are just rumor-mongering.
I took Rooney's comments of "back to Steelers roots" and his action of firing Arians as an indication that he wants to run the ball more. Could I be wrong and reading into something I shouldn't? sure, but it is my opinion. It is not out of realm of possibility that is the case. Fanciful? Don't use words like that in the pool again !!! jk.

I took Rooney's comments of "back to Steelers roots" and his action of firing Arians as an indication that he wants to run the ball more. Could I be wrong and reading into something I shouldn't? sure, but it is my opinion. It is not out of realm of possibility that is the case. Fanciful? Don't use words like that in the pool again !!! jk.
Arians simply gets too cute and leaves the team exposed too often. That was the "back to the roots"... playing fundamentally smart football pass or run.

Arians simply gets too cute and leaves the team exposed too often. That was the "back to the roots"... playing fundamentally smart football pass or run.
I can respect your opinion and you may very well be right, but I disagree. I believe Rooney believes the Steelers are throwing it too much. I can leave it as that.

'Hoss_Cartwright said:
'BigSteelThrill said:
'Hoss_Cartwright said:
I can respect your opinion and you may very well be right, but I disagree. I believe Rooney believes the Steelers are throwing it too much. I can leave it as that.
You can leave it that way but you didn't make a very compelling argument that Rooney was stupid for letting Arians go.

Users who are viewing this thread