What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Runyan Talking To Jets, Eagles (1 Viewer)

JaxBill

Footballguy
Free agent Runyan to visit Jets todayThe right tackle is also talking to the Birds. His goal is to stay near home and also get a good deal.By Bob BrookoverInquirer Staff WriterThe Eagles have spoken to Jon Runyan, but it's the New York Jets who will get a Long Island visit from the imposing right tackle today.

Runyan, an unrestricted free agent, seemed only mildly encouraged about his conversations with the Eagles.

"We're talking a little bit," he said yesterday after returning from a vacation in the Cayman Islands. "We just started the process."

What exactly does that mean?

"They returned my phone call," said Runyan, who is represented by agent Ben Dogra. "I guess something is better than nothing."

Runyan, 32, said this is likely to be his last NFL contract, and it is clear that he would like to remain with the Eagles if the price is right. Barring that, he wants to remain as close to his Mount Laurel home as possible.

"I think that's one of the biggest reasons we're starting up there" at the Jets' headquarters in Hempstead, N.Y., Runyan said. "We're trying to stay around here, but there are only so many teams around here."

The Jets happen to be one of the teams in the market for a right tackle, after releasing Jason Fabini last month. The Dallas Cowboys signed Fabini on Saturday.

Baltimore is another possible destination for Runyan if the 6-foot-7, 330-pound tackle wants to stay close to home. The Ravens released Orlando Brown last week. Tony Pashos replaced Brown in the middle of last season, so the Ravens may not be looking for a right tackle.

It is not known what kind of deal it will take to sign Runyan. The free-agent market for right tackles has not been that active. Fabini, in fact, has probably been the most notable right tackle to sign with another team, and he received a modest three-year deal that guarantees only $4.5 million.

Runyan, who signed a six-year, $30.5 million deal with the Eagles in 2000, made $4.9 million last season even after taking a pay cut. The Eagles paid Runyan $9.5 million in signing and roster bonuses on his last contract, and he rewarded them by playing 96 straight regular-season games and 12 postseason games.

Though Runyan isn't going to get a deal as lucrative as his last one, he is still hoping to get a decent contract.

"I'm open to anything - two, three or four years - as long as the money is right," he said.
Edit to add link-http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/sports/14146979.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Free agent Runyan to visit Jets todayThe right tackle is also talking to the Birds. His goal is to stay near home and also get a good deal.By Bob BrookoverInquirer Staff WriterThe Eagles have spoken to Jon Runyan, but it's the New York Jets who will get a Long Island visit from the imposing right tackle today.

Runyan, an unrestricted free agent, seemed only mildly encouraged about his conversations with the Eagles.

"We're talking a little bit," he said yesterday after returning from a vacation in the Cayman Islands. "We just started the process."

What exactly does that mean?

"They returned my phone call," said Runyan, who is represented by agent Ben Dogra. "I guess something is better than nothing."

Runyan, 32, said this is likely to be his last NFL contract, and it is clear that he would like to remain with the Eagles if the price is right. Barring that, he wants to remain as close to his Mount Laurel home as possible.

"I think that's one of the biggest reasons we're starting up there" at the Jets' headquarters in Hempstead, N.Y., Runyan said. "We're trying to stay around here, but there are only so many teams around here."

The Jets happen to be one of the teams in the market for a right tackle, after releasing Jason Fabini last month. The Dallas Cowboys signed Fabini on Saturday.

Baltimore is another possible destination for Runyan if the 6-foot-7, 330-pound tackle wants to stay close to home. The Ravens released Orlando Brown last week. Tony Pashos replaced Brown in the middle of last season, so the Ravens may not be looking for a right tackle.

It is not known what kind of deal it will take to sign Runyan. The free-agent market for right tackles has not been that active. Fabini, in fact, has probably been the most notable right tackle to sign with another team, and he received a modest three-year deal that guarantees only $4.5 million.

Runyan, who signed a six-year, $30.5 million deal with the Eagles in 2000, made $4.9 million last season even after taking a pay cut. The Eagles paid Runyan $9.5 million in signing and roster bonuses on his last contract, and he rewarded them by playing 96 straight regular-season games and 12 postseason games.

Though Runyan isn't going to get a deal as lucrative as his last one, he is still hoping to get a decent contract.

"I'm open to anything - two, three or four years - as long as the money is right," he said.
Edit to add link-http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/sports/14146979.htm
If the Eagles let Runyan get away they're in trouble IMO. Runyan is arguably the best OT left on the market and they should have no trouble paying the man. What they're trying to do though is get someone to set a market price for Runyan and that's dangerous. Who's to say he just doesn't accept the first offer he's given?

There's absolutely no reason we shouldn't give Runyan a market deal. We've got the cash, there aren't many [if any] other FAs on the market that would command a significant portion of the $15mm+ we have left to spend, he WANTS to remain and Eagles and he's the best available RT on the market. :shrug:

While not a major improvement, it would be a downgrade not to get Runyan back at this point.

The Eagles should get him locked in now.

It would also allow them to focus on the more needy positions (DT, LB, bigger RB, WR) in what's left of FA and the draft.

While not a major improvement, it would be a downgrade not to get Runyan back at this point.

The Eagles should get him locked in now.

It would also allow them to focus on the more needy positions (DT, LB, bigger RB, WR) in what's left of FA and the draft.
As a Pennington owner ( :bag: ), I would like to see him land with the Jets.

While I was hoping for better than a Runyan signing for offseason moves on the OL, we cannot afford to lose him especially with Tra Thomas being a question mark. Our options at this point seem to be:

1) Move Andrews to tackle (not even sure he can play guard in the NFL yet)

2) Shift an existing lineman there (who?)

3) Draft a rookie (Most likely will not step in and perform well immediately)

4) Sign another free agent tackle (none are available that are better than Runyan that I know of)

The guy has been a rock and has accomplished alot here in Phila and we need him for at least another few seasons until we can plug some holes through the draft, free agency or develop our current OL .

While I was hoping for better than a Runyan signing for offseason moves on the OL, we cannot afford to lose him especially with Tra Thomas being a question mark. Our options at this point seem to be:

1) Move Andrews to tackle (not even sure he can play guard in the NFL yet)

2) Shift an existing lineman there (who?)

3) Draft a rookie (Most likely will not step in and perform well immediately)

4) Sign another free agent tackle (none are available that are better than Runyan that I know of)

The guy has been a rock and has accomplished alot here in Phila and we need him for at least another few seasons until we can plug some holes through the draft, free agency or develop our current OL .
Theoretically we have our tackles of the future already in Andrews and Herremans. But, like you and many others, I have serious worries about the future being NOW. They're both not ready. :no:

Trading Abe just opened up $8M in cap money for the Jets - he could end up signed by the end of tomorrow's visit.....I hope!

so the Jets could end up with Runyan and Da'Brickashaw as their bookends at tackle... that's a nice start to a line... any Jets homers know the rest of the oline story?

i know they lost mawae and fabini... do they have any talent/experience on the interior line?

so the Jets could end up with Runyan and Da'Brickashaw as their bookends at tackle... that's a nice start to a line... any Jets homers know the rest of the oline story?

i know they lost mawae and fabini... do they have any talent/experience on the interior line?
Adrian Jones is a solid but unspectacular LT. Have a feeling if they sign Runyon they will play him at RT which would be much more important if they managed to grab the lefty Leinart. Kendall is a G who is still solid and can play C if needed. Think they are looking for another C in the draft though. Adding Runyan and anothe OL prospoect early would make the line above average.Not optomistic that they add Runyan - seems like it will only happen if the Eagles totally low ball him.

The Jets starting O-line is currently:LT: Adrian Jones (3rd year player, started at RT and LT last year)

LG: ?

C: Pete Kendall (that's the assumption anyway - Kendall could play G too)

RG: Brandon Moore (converted DT, pretty good)

RT: ?

The thinking is that if Runyan signs, the Jets are not going to draft Ferguson. There's a lot of speculation that Mangold is on the radar at 1.29, but I think the decision to keep Mawae over Kendall was specifically made with the idea of Kendall moving to C permanently. I haven't heard any buzz about an interest in a trade for Jeff Faine.

There is some buzz around the Jets that they like Norm Katnik. Who?

Katnik was the starting center for USC in 2004, and landed on the SF practice squad, and Scott Gragg told the Jets FO that he was a gamer.... and they signed him away from SF last year. Word is he could be the starting center... or will at least get a shot at it.

If Runyan signs with the Jets, I just don't see the new regime going O line at 4, despite how many mocks have the Jets taking Feruson. Jones at LT did an OK job last year, but he hasn't had much playing time at LT and should improve. He was converted from TE to LT in his senior season, and spent his rookie year with the Jets at RT, but never played. Jones remianed at RT for the preseason and the first two games last year.... and then got thrown in at LT when Fabini played so miserably. Like Ferguson, Jones is a natural LT and doesn't have another position on the O line.

I think it's unlikely the Jets go Ferguson. They are disciples of BB and Parcells, and with the exception of one #32 pick, neither of those coaches ever took a first round O lineman. People know the Jets O line needs help, and Ferguson is highly regarded, so this knee jerk reaction of these mocks is to have the Jets take Ferguson. I just don't see it. The uninformed think Jason Taylor owned Jones in the second Miami game last year. WRONG. Yes, Taylor got three sacks, and did get the better of Jones, but two of those sacks weren't on Jones at all. How is a LT supposed to take blame for a sack when Taylor stunts and runs over Kendall (playing out of position at center) ?

Runyan would be a huge signing for the Jets, and makes taking Ferguson that much more unlikely. A QB or Mario Williams is much more likely at 4 for the Jets, barring any trades of picks.

Not much of an update, but yesterday Runyan was talking with Jodie Mac on Philadelphia's Sport Talk 950 and had to cut and run because his agent gave him a call after meeting with the Eagles. I got out of the car before I heard any updates on the situation if there were any.

Unless the Eagles really lowball him, I think he'd give them the hometown discount and stay in Philly.

Katnik was the starting center for USC in 2004, and landed on the SF practice squad, and Scott Gragg told the Jets FO that he was a gamer.... and they signed him away from SF last year. Word is he could be the starting center... or will at least get a shot at it.

If Runyan signs with the Jets, I just don't see the new regime going O line at 4, despite how many mocks have the Jets taking Feruson. Jones at LT did an OK job last year, but he hasn't had much playing time at LT and should improve. He was converted from TE to LT in his senior season, and spent his rookie year with the Jets at RT, but never played. Jones remianed at RT for the preseason and the first two games last year.... and then got thrown in at LT when Fabini played so miserably. Like Ferguson, Jones is a natural LT and doesn't have another position on the O line.

I think it's unlikely the Jets go Ferguson. They are disciples of BB and Parcells, and with the exception of one #32 pick, neither of those coaches ever took a first round O lineman. People know the Jets O line needs help, and Ferguson is highly regarded, so this knee jerk reaction of these mocks is to have the Jets take Ferguson. I just don't see it. The uninformed think Jason Taylor owned Jones in the second Miami game last year. WRONG. Yes, Taylor got three sacks, and did get the better of Jones, but two of those sacks weren't on Jones at all. How is a LT supposed to take blame for a sack when Taylor stunts and runs over Kendall (playing out of position at center) ?

Runyan would be a huge signing for the Jets, and makes taking Ferguson that much more unlikely. A QB or Mario Williams is much more likely at 4 for the Jets, barring any trades of picks.
The only buzz I've heard on Katnick is from homers on Jets message boards (the same sorts of guys who yell that Bryan Thomas is better than John Abraham, or that the Jets should have traded Mawae for a 1st-day pick). I highly doubt he's the starting center - he's the backup center now that Goodwin is gone. On the official team depth chart, Kendall is now listed as the 1st-string center. I also remember last year how Kendall was told by Mawae and the coaching staff to move to C to extend his career. Given that he signed a new contract, I believe Kendall is the medium-term (3 years) answer to the C question. Katnick may or may not take over at that point, but he's no starter right now.I agree 100% that Ferguson is not on the Jets' menu, and their pursuit of Ashworth, Runyan and Hopkins is evidence enough of that. I think the Jets also like Marco Cavka, but hasven't been able to see what he can do b/c of injury.

At this point, I'm nearly 100% convinced that the Jets will take Cutler at 1.04 (with VY as my other possibility, or trade down a tiny bit and target the same plyers). Mario looks great, and I suspect he might be available at 1.04, but I feel like part of the benefit of the 3-4 is that you get your pass-rush from cheaper tweener OLBs who you draft in the middle rounds, like Pittsburgh. I think Dewayne Robertson will get a shot at playing the Richard Seymour role on the d-line this year.

I think it's unlikely the Jets go Ferguson. They are disciples of BB  and Parcells, and with the exception of one #32 pick, neither of those coaches ever took a first round O lineman. People know the Jets O line needs help, and Ferguson is highly regarded, so this knee jerk reaction of these mocks is to have the Jets take Ferguson. I just don't see it. The uninformed think Jason Taylor owned Jones in the second Miami game last year. WRONG. Yes, Taylor got three sacks, and did get the better of Jones, but two of those sacks weren't on Jones at all. How is a LT supposed to take blame for a sack when Taylor stunts and runs over Kendall (playing out of position at center) ?

The only buzz I've heard on Katnick is from homers on Jets message boards (the same sorts of guys who yell that Bryan Thomas is better than John Abraham, or that the Jets should have traded Mawae for a 1st-day pick). I highly doubt he's the starting center - he's the backup center now that Goodwin is gone. On the official team depth chart, Kendall is now listed as the 1st-string center. I also remember last year how Kendall was told by Mawae and the coaching staff to move to C to extend his career. Given that he signed a new contract, I believe Kendall is the medium-term (3 years) answer to the C question. Katnick may or may not take over at that point, but he's no starter right now.I agree 100% that Ferguson is not on the Jets' menu, and their pursuit of Ashworth, Runyan and Hopkins is evidence enough of that. I think the Jets also like Marco Cavka, but hasven't been able to see what he can do b/c of injury.

At this point, I'm nearly 100% convinced that the Jets will take Cutler at 1.04 (with VY as my other possibility, or trade down a tiny bit and target the same plyers). Mario looks great, and I suspect he might be available at 1.04, but I feel like part of the benefit of the 3-4 is that you get your pass-rush from cheaper tweener OLBs who you draft in the middle rounds, like Pittsburgh. I think Dewayne Robertson will get a shot at playing the Richard Seymour role on the d-line this year.
Actually, both Cimini and Cannizaro have been talking about Katnik. That is based on what their "sources" have told them, which is the reason Katnik has created a buzz on Jets message boards in the first place. I've debated with people that the assignment to NFL Europe was a very bad sign for Cavka..... and guess what? He isn't even starting over there. He's not even starting for NFL EUROPE! He is at best a long shot to even make the team now.

As far as Robertson goes.... he was the only heavy cap hit guy that didn't restructure his contract. That tells me he's on a very short leash, and is being positioned to be either cut or traded next year.

In any case, the Jets interest in Runyan also signals and end to the offensive zone blocking experiment that failed so miserably last year. Thank the heavens for small favors.

I'm thinking they go Williams at this point to get your "Richard Seymour"....

THEN you can get your "Tweeners" to fill in around him.

I agree that Robertson is on a short leash and will probably get most of his playing time when they go 4-3 - He's got a bad knee and was just a bad Bradway mistake.

Not much of an update, but yesterday Runyan was talking with Jodie Mac on Philadelphia's Sport Talk 950
old WFAN guy?
Yeah.... he's also on ESPN radio 1050 on Staurdays in NY. WFAN likes to fire the intelligent sports talk guys for idiots. Right now, they have an idiot's all star line up going for them.... which only leads me to believe that NY sports fans are idiots, a theory often reinforced in my roamings at Jets message boards.

Not much of an update, but yesterday Runyan was talking with Jodie Mac on Philadelphia's Sport Talk 950
old WFAN guy?
Yeah.... he's also on ESPN radio 1050 on Staurdays in NY. WFAN likes to fire the intelligent sports talk guys for idiots. Right now, they have an idiot's all star line up going for them.... which only leads me to believe that NY sports fans are idiots, a theory often reinforced in my roamings at Jets message boards.
Yup. I haven't been in the Philly area for that long, but from what I understand he was in Philly, went to NY and is now back in Philly. I enjoy him. He's definitely better than the other Philly option. The only thing that annoys me is he has this old guy that thinks he is some kind of sports genius call in every single day just to give his thoughts.

Just saw it too!!

Good for you guys. I am sure Philly fans are glad to have his nastiness back at the OT spot.

Runyan wanted to stay in Philly...

Eskin says he just built a house and is involved in many community initiatives.

Runyan is an important part of this team and the Philadelphia community.

Welcome home!

old WFAN guy?
yeah we all are

Nice job by Runyan using the JEts to set his price.

Jets need to get back up and jump in - still some solid players out there and they have a ton of cash.

Runyan wanted to stay in Philly...

Eskin says he just built a house and is involved in many community initiatives.

Runyan is an important part of this team and the Philadelphia community.

Welcome home!
There wasn't much doubt in my mind that he was staying in Philly. I think the only reason he went to NY to talk to the Jets was to start to force the Eagles' hand and make them put an offer on the table. He's been involved in the community, just finished building a house in the area, does a radio show and all that.

I think the Eagles pretty well knew that too and that's why they were taking their time to begin with.

Jets need to get back up and jump in - still some solid players out there and they have a ton of cash.
Not sure why the Jets would've been interested in signing Runyan, to be honest. They're one of the worst teams in the league with one of the youngest coaching staffs. They are the definition of re-building. Sure, in the NFL you can rebuild quickly, but let's say, for arguments sake, the Jets are back in playoff contention in the 2007 season. Runyan would be 37...didn't they just let a Hall of Fame worthy center who WANTED to be a Jet walk because he was getting too old? Why bring in an equivalently aged, but less accomplished right tackle?

Not sure why the Jets would've been interested in signing Runyan, to be honest. They're one of the worst teams in the league with one of the youngest coaching staffs. They are the definition of re-building. Sure, in the NFL you can rebuild quickly, but let's say, for arguments sake, the Jets are back in playoff contention in the 2007 season. Runyan would be 37...didn't they just let a Hall of Fame worthy center who WANTED to be a Jet walk because he was getting too old? Why bring in an equivalently aged, but less accomplished right tackle?
though he was 32?

Cuz Mawae was a major Voice in the locker room and the new staff wants to set the tone on their own.Mawae was also coming off injury and isn't a road grater - if they are changing from more of a finesse OL to a Power OL Runyan may make sense....

though he was 32?
You're right :bag: ...all the more perplexing as to why we didn't just pony up some $$$$ and keep him off the market.

According to the Eagles' website Runyan has signed a 3-year deal.

For Jon Runyan, it was all about the green. And in the end, the veteran offensive tackle opted for the Eagles' midnight green over the Jets' green. Runyan's three-year deal helps solidify the team's offensive line situation.
:thumbup:

old WFAN guy?
Yup. I haven't been in the Philly area for that long, but from what I understand he was in Philly, went to NY and is now back in Philly. I enjoy him. He's definitely better than the other Philly option. The only thing that annoys me is he has this old guy that thinks he is some kind of sports genius call in every single day just to give his thoughts.
Jodie Mac''s dad worked for the Mets. He grew up in NY IIRC. He's bounced back and forth in both markets. He's a quality personality and doesn't get swayed by any homerism or bias - unlike most in both markets.

old WFAN guy?
Jody's dad worked for the Mets. He grew up in NY IIRC. He's bounced back and forth in both markets. He's a quality personality and doesn't get swayed by any homerism or bias - unlike most in both markets.
Jody's dad was actually GM of the Mets from 75-79 and is most known for a horrendous trade of Tom Seaver. He also worked for the Tigers and Cards in non-executive roles.Jody Mac really REALLY misrepresents his dad's legacy. He was a god awful GM in retrospect.

Users who are viewing this thread