What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ryan Shazier to ILB in Pittsburgh. (2 Viewers)

I won't be drafting him. But this is the best point made about Shazier

No matter one's opinion on Shazier (which I hope we can agree is subjective), there is one FACT which can not be denied whether you have a tendency to wear blinders once you form your opinion or not...

Shazier is a relatively high 1st round pick and therefore a significant investment by the Steelers. If he does not eventually show promise and perform, like all players he will be expendable. But due to the Steelers' investment in him they will have every motivation to see him succeed, and he will be given a very long leash. Based on history you can conservatively expect that to be the first 4 years of his rookie contract at a minimum (even if he proves to be a bust). They would probably decline his 5th year option prior to year 4 of the contract, but he'd have 4 years to prove himself in a worst-case scenario.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally get to see him and he is producing big IDP numbers.

The catch is he's really inconsistent in coverage.

Great INT over the middle but Buffalo TE Chandler is owning him on the outside and making him look silly.

If they continue to keep him in on passing downs he's going to be racking up IDP points but he can't look as bad covering the TE as he is tonight.

I like Mosley a lot also, but I did notice something in watching him play this weekend. He seemed to seek out contact when taking on blocks which doesn't sound too bad except that he then got engaged with the linemen who then held him legally with hands inside up at the shoulder pads. He had a hard time disengaging. Shazier seemed to take slightly better angles to be more glancing with the blockers allowing him to more freely attach the runner. Am I seeing things or did any of you see the same thing?

What kind of projections are we looking at for this season? Possible he's this years Kuechley?
Lets not make try to force the Keuchly comparison. Shazier is highly active and productive but he's different.

I mentioned the pass coverage failures and if he continues to mess-up like that then I can't see LeBeau keeping him in hoping for a big play.

Per rushing the passer, he may have done some of that but I missed it. He stood out in coverage, both good and bad.

The other thing that was noticeable is he's playing 'teams' which hints he isn't destined for full-time duty in the middle.

I forget who the other LB is who was coming off injury but they were gentlely easing him in later in the game with the third stringers and he was moving gingerly. But he 'supposedly' was looking good.

Ryan is a work in progress with his pass coverage, Chanlder was making some moves that left him in the dust so that needs cleaning up.

He's the real-deal, no question about that but right now they may not be able to put him on the field in passing situations and if they plan to keep him on special teams that is spreading him a lil thin so maybe they do plan to only use him on certain downs, at least early-on.

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/steelers/steelers-insider-shazier-a-big-hit-in-win/article_db9eff04-a9fc-54b2-aa15-18a47231d2b5.html

SHAZIER A HIT

Steelers No. 1 draft pick Ryan Shazier was a big hit in his NFL debut Saturday night.

He started at inside linebacker, played the majority of the first half and was credited with 11 tackles – nine on defense and two on special teams.

He also had an interception that set up a Steelers touchdown and knocked Bills star wide receiver Sammy Watkins from the game with an inadvertent right knee to his ribs.

Shazier’s outstanding performance helped contribute to the Steelers’ 19-16 victory over the Bills in their preseason home opener at Heinz Field.

“I was just going out there and doing what the coaches asked me to do,” Shazier said. “I think I had a pretty good game.”

On Buffalo’s first series, Steelers cornerback Cortez Allen had the coverage on Watkins as he ran a slant pattern on a third-and-3 play.

Allen fell to the ground while trying to swat the ball away. Shazier attempted to jump to avoid Allen, but his knee hit Watkins in the ribs.

“I’m not sure what happened there,” Shazier said.

Later in the first quarter, Shazier had his first career interception, stepping in front of an EJ Manuel pass that was intended for Bills tight end Scott Chandler.

Shazier returned the pick 27 yards, which helped set up the Steelers’ second touchdown.

“I thought he did an awesome job filling in for his first game back from an injury,” inside linebacker Lawrence Timmons said. “He made a few big plays for us. He’s a guy that I’ve seen that is willing to put his hand in the pile.

“I’m looking forward to playing with him.”

Shazier, who missed the preseason road opener against the Giants with a bruised knee, didn’t do everything right against Buffalo.

He slipped on a third-and-27 play early in the second quarter and allowed Chandler to register a 24-yard catch. That reception helped set up a Bills field goal.

“It was nice to be out there playing again,” Shazier said. “I have a lot to learn yet. I’m excited to get a full game under my belt.”

Shazier recorded 11 tackles despite playing less than a half, and he set up the Steelers' second touchdown with an interception and 27-yard return.
Shazier recorded eight tackles in the first quarter and two of them came while covering kickoffs. The 6-1, 237-pounder also flashed the athleticism that has been on display since offseason practices when he ran step for step with Bills tight end Scott Chandler and intercepted an ill-advised E.J. Manuel pass in the middle of the field.
(14:19) 3-E.Manuel pass short middle to 22-F.Jackson to BUF 45 for 5 yards (50-R.Shazier).

(13:37) (Shotgun) 3-E.Manuel pass short middle to 84-S.Chandler to BUF 49 for 4 yards (50-R.Shazier).

(12:04) 3-E.Manuel scrambles left end pushed ob at PIT 35 for 5 yards (50-R.Shazier).

(11:39) 28-C.Spiller right guard to PIT 33 for 2 yards (50-R.Shazier).

(1:34) (Shotgun) 3-E.Manuel pass short right to 84-S.Chandler to BUF 36 for 7 yards (50-R.Shazier).

:-)35) (Shotgun) 28-C.Spiller right tackle to BUF 50 for 4 yards (50-R.Shazier).

(9:20) 22-F.Jackson up the middle to PIT 46 for 5 yards (50-R.Shazier).

(7:25) (Shotgun) 3-E.Manuel pass short middle to 84-S.Chandler to PIT 29 for 5 yards (50-R.Shazier, 94-L.Timmons).

(6:58) (Shotgun) 26-A.Dixon right guard to PIT 25 for 4 yards (50-R.Shazier).

Bracie I have a hard time understanding your post. He looked pretty good in coverage on that interception play. It was a thing of beauty. Why would you think they would take him out on passing downs rather than just coach him up? Also how in the world do you come up with he isn't destined for full time role just because he also happened to be on special teams? Is their method to your madness? trying to keep the price down haha.

Bracie I have a hard time understanding your post. He looked pretty good in coverage on that interception play. It was a thing of beauty. Why would you think they would take him out on passing downs rather than just coach him up? Also how in the world do you come up with he isn't destined for full time role just because he also happened to be on special teams? Is their method to your madness? trying to keep the price down haha.
He did look good on the INT. He looked great.

He also looked bad covering when matched up on the TE Chandler who left Ryan in the dust on a move. I thought with Shazier's speed that he would have easily recovered but Chandler had him going forward and then juked him to the point Shazier was still going forward after Chandler had made the reception and gained decent yardage afterwards.

You can see from the box score he gave up three smaller receptions so in a lil-under a half the TE he was matched up against caught 4 receptions for 40 yards.

If LeBeau wants to conceede 8 receptions and 80 yards to the opposing TE so long as Shazier is in position to make a nice looking INT then fine but I don't think he would be open to that.

He is still a big part of their special team coverages. And Spence is coming back from injury.

Add it all up and it looks like the plan would be to keep him on teams and probably not expose him so much in coverage.

Least it looks that way to me especially since he plays in the AFCN where he's got to basically Pro Bowl TEs in, Gresham/Eifert, Cameron, and Pita, two times a year and they are all better than Chandler.

I don't see him off the field unless he is injured, he's so athletic, they can fix coverage but you can't fix speed. After watching him play and I don't claim to be an "expert", I can easily see him as a top 10 IDP guy. He was all over the field in the first half and the pick was blanket coverage. I think this game just showed the tip of the iceberg on how he will be used. There are not many 4.4 lbers, and I see Lebeau getting very creative with this kid.

What kind of projections are we looking at for this season? Possible he's this years Kuechley?
Here we go again... Shazier looks good in one preseason game and the Kuechly comparisons begin.Take a peek a couple posts down the IDP forum to the guy who compared Arthur Brown to Kuechly last year... A couple crack evaluators chimed in agreement on Brown last year and frankly they look silly now (some of the same guys who were referencing their evaluation prowess when knocking Shazier earlier this offseason I might add).

Picked Shazier in a rookie draft earlier this week, and last night was an encouraging start for sure. I hope Shazier succeeds as much as anyone, and if you are trying to determine whether you should target Shazier (or Mosley) I don't think you need to see anything more. But maybe we should see how guys develop over a larger sample size before we compare them to the best young LB in the NFL after one preseason game?

I think Kuechly is the best interior lb in the NFL and top 5 fantasy lb so I personally don't expect that from him as a rookie. But Shaziers pure athletic ability is going get him a lot of tackles even if some are created by his own mistakes. I can also see him getting some sacks and picks. Just mho of course and I took him and Mosley back to back in my draft, but I do think Shazier out performs Mosley in FF.

I think Kuechly is the best interior lb in the NFL and top 5 fantasy lb so I personally don't expect that from him as a rookie. But Shaziers pure athletic ability is going get him a lot of tackles even if some are created by his own mistakes. I can also see him getting some sacks and picks. Just mho of course and I took him and Mosley back to back in my draft, but I do think Shazier out performs Mosley in FF.
Congrats on getting both guys Claymaker. You should be set at LB for years to come...

He did look good on the INT. He looked great.He also looked bad covering when matched up on the TE Chandler who left Ryan in the dust on a move. I thought with Shazier's speed that he would have easily recovered but Chandler had him going forward and then juked him to the point Shazier was still going forward after Chandler had made the reception and gained decent yardage afterwards.

You can see from the box score he gave up three smaller receptions so in a lil-under a half the TE he was matched up against caught 4 receptions for 40 yards.

If LeBeau wants to conceede 8 receptions and 80 yards to the opposing TE so long as Shazier is in position to make a nice looking INT then fine but I don't think he would be open to that.

He is still a big part of their special team coverages. And Spence is coming back from injury.

Add it all up and it looks like the plan would be to keep him on teams and probably not expose him so much in coverage.

Least it looks that way to me especially since he plays in the AFCN where he's got to basically Pro Bowl TEs in, Gresham/Eifert, Cameron, and Pita, two times a year and they are all better than Chandler.
Chandler is like 7 foot, that's a though cover for Shazier. He looked fine to me. He slipped on one of Chandlers receptions. I think last night was a perfect example of what could be. He has high end cb athleticism. If you keep trying him then you could yield a turnover. If that's how Pitt decides to use him then he's going to get ints. He's just to gifted not to produce.

Here we go again... Shazier looks good in one preseason game and the Kuechly comparisons begin.Take a peek a couple posts down the IDP forum to the guy who compared Arthur Brown to Kuechly last year... A couple crack evaluators chimed in agreement on Brown last year and frankly they look silly now (some of the same guys who were referencing their evaluation prowess when knocking Shazier earlier this offseason I might add).

Picked Shazier in a rookie draft earlier this week, and last night was an encouraging start for sure. I hope Shazier succeeds as much as anyone, and if you are trying to determine whether you should target Shazier (or Mosley) I don't think you need to see anything more. But maybe we should see how guys develop over a larger sample size before we compare them to the best young LB in the NFL after one preseason game?
I think Shazier has the potential to be the top IDP for 2014+ if that's where the comparison are coming from

He did look good on the INT. He looked great.He also looked bad covering when matched up on the TE Chandler who left Ryan in the dust on a move. I thought with Shazier's speed that he would have easily recovered but Chandler had him going forward and then juked him to the point Shazier was still going forward after Chandler had made the reception and gained decent yardage afterwards.

Chandler is like 7 foot, that's a though cover for Shazier. He looked fine to me. He slipped on one of Chandlers receptions.I think last night was a perfect example of what could be. He has high end cb athleticism. If you keep trying him then you could yield a turnover. If that's how Pitt decides to use him then he's going to get ints. He's just to gifted not to produce.
Scott Chandler is 6'7 and Shazier is 6'1 but Gresham and Cameron are both 6'5 and Cameron is a former basketball player.

Last year Scott Chandler only had 3 games where he caught more than 4 passes and yesterday he caught 4 in less than a half matched-up against rookie LB Ryan Shazier.

**** LeBeau doesn't lke to play rookies if he's got any reason and it seems he's got a reason to sit his prized rook till he shows better pass coverage.

I don't think that is a slam on Shazier or an outrageous statement. Seems pretty reasonable and logical considering how **** LeBeau has historically favored veteran defenders and has typically waited till his rookies prove themselves.

I've never seen him put a rookie on the field if he struggled unless he had no other options and with Spence coming back it seems he has that luxury.

EDIT: Oh and I'm only talking about sitting Shazier on obvious 'passing' downs till he shows improvement, not on running plays where he is already their best playmaker/producer.

Chandler is like 7 foot, that's a though cover for Shazier. He looked fine to me. He slipped on one of Chandlers receptions.I think last night was a perfect example of what could be. He has high end cb athleticism. If you keep trying him then you could yield a turnover. If that's how Pitt decides to use him then he's going to get ints. He's just to gifted not to produce.
Scott Chandler is 6'7 and Shazier is 6'1 but Gresham and Cameron are both 6'5 and Cameron is a former basketball player.Last year Scott Chandler only had 3 games where he caught more than 4 passes and yesterday he caught 4 in less than a half matched-up against rookie LB Ryan Shazier.

**** LeBeau doesn't lke to play rookies if he's got any reason and it seems he's got a reason to sit his prized rook till he shows better pass coverage.

I don't think that is a slam on Shazier or an outrageous statement. Seems pretty reasonable and logical considering how **** LeBeau has historically favored veteran defenders and has typically waited till his rookies prove themselves.

I've never seen him put a rookie on the field if he struggled unless he had no other options and with Spence coming back it seems he has that luxury.

EDIT: Oh and I'm only talking about sitting Shazier on obvious 'passing' downs till he shows improvement, not on running plays where he is already their best playmaker/producer.
The only time I saw him in obvious man was the pick and the trip. The rest was mid zone and Buffalo was dinking and dunking. Lebeau didn't show any complex blitzes last night, nor should he have. I'd imagine he'd be out there on passing downs even if his coverage is weak right now because his speed rushing the QB brings a whole new dynamic to the zone blitz. Even if he isn't a star in IDP (which I think he will be) he certainly is going to make this defense fun to watch again.

Scott Chandler is 6'7 and Shazier is 6'1 but Gresham and Cameron are both 6'5 and Cameron is a former basketball player.

Last year Scott Chandler only had 3 games where he caught more than 4 passes and yesterday he caught 4 in less than a half matched-up against rookie LB Ryan Shazier.

the bolded is pure fabrication. Spence is as much of a rookie as Shazier. The guy got hurt his rookie preseason and is just now getting back on the field (many thought he would never play again) He has spent his entire career rehabbing not practicing.

http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/8292/ryan-shazier-aces-first-test-with-steelers

PITTSBURGH -- Ryan Shazier refers to it as a re-enactment and said it is something he often does at night.

The rookie linebacker will play out a game in his head, not necessarily against an opponent, and that revelation following the Pittsburgh Steelers' 19-16 win Saturday night over the Buffalo Bills was fitting for two reasons.

The Bills weren't much of an opponent for Shazier at Heinz Field, and even his most generous of dreams probably couldn't have produced what he did in his first NFL game.

Shazier recorded 11 tackles despite playing less than a half, and he set up the Steelers' second touchdown with an interception and 27-yard return.

The first-round pick topped the list of Steelers deserving of game balls, and imagine what Shazier will do when the right knee that he bruised on Aug. 3 is no longer an issue.

"Still have to get back to 100 percent," said Shazier, who missed the Steelers' preseason opener because of the injury. "I don't feel like you can be 100 percent if you just started back at practice."

Shazier missed almost two weeks after hurting his knee, and he didn't return to drills until last Thursday, the Steelers' final practice of training camp.

That's what made his play and the impressing closing speed he exhibited even more impressive.

Shazier recorded eight tackles in the first quarter and two of them came while covering kickoffs. The 6-1, 237-pounder also flashed the athleticism that has been on display since offseason practices when he ran step for step with Bills tight end Scott Chandler and intercepted an ill-advised E.J. Manuel pass in the middle of the field.

"From the instant he got here he's proven that it's not too big for him so I can't tell you I'm surprised by his effort," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said. "I'm not."

Shazier impressed veteran strong safety Troy Polamalu with his effort.

"He made the plays," the eight-time Pro Bowler said. "When he's out there making plays like he did, it's really encouraging for us to see."

Shazier was all over the field and the biggest question after all but assuring he will start the Steelers' regular-season opener Sept. 7 against the Cleveland Browns is whether stamina will become an issue.

Shazier, also a welcome addition on the Steelers' special teams, said he doesn't have a problem with the heavy workload that he seems destined to receive in his first NFL season.

"It's been my dream to be in the NFL so whatever the coaches ask me to do I'm going to do," said Shazier, who turns 22 the day before the Steelers host the Browns in the season opener for each team. "I've been dreaming about this my whole life."

Steelers might end up with Timmons as OLB next year, cause Worlids sucks. He wont be back, Shazier and Spence in the middle, Jones and Timmons on the outside. Again, not til next year.

Hate that Shazier looked so good, wanted to get him mid-late rds of our draft, now I might have to take him a lot earlier being in pittsburgh based league, everyone will want him.

He needs to work on stopping guys earlier on run plays. He averaged four yards a carry this past game (I think Timmons averaged less than a yard and a half).

This being his first game and all, I am not worried. Yet it is one of those things I track when targeting ILBs whose bread and butter is stopping runs:

(12:04) 3-E.Manuel scrambles left end pushed ob at PIT 35 for 5 yards (50-R.Shazier).

:-)35) (Shotgun) 28-C.Spiller right tackle to BUF 50 for 4 yards (50-R.Shazier).

Sounds like the tide is shifting from Mosley to Shazier as the top LB in IDP... am I reading those tea leaves wrong?

Sounds like the tide is shifting from Mosley to Shazier as the top LB in IDP... am I reading those tea leaves wrong?
You are correctly reading the tea leaves.

Shazier is the shzznit.

He needs to work on stopping guys earlier on run plays. He averaged four yards a carry this past game (I think Timmons averaged less than a yard and a half).

This being his first game and all, I am not worried. Yet it is one of those things I track when targeting ILBs whose bread and butter is stopping runs:

Noticed that too but the point is he's soo quick/fast/explosive that it puts him in position to get in on the action that others simply can't get to and that means he will take 'odd' angles since he's coming in from all angles and he may not be in perfect 'wrap-up' position so he might give a lil more forward progress.

Have to confes that I am critical of this sort of stat because it hints that a guy with a super high motor like Ryan Shazier or a guy like Cleveland DL Ahtyba Rubin are soft or weak in some sense in run defense or that they can't put the wood to a runner and are only piling-on later downfield but that isn't the case at all.

I think it is PFF (Pro Football Focus) puts out a stat just to calculate who is making stops on running plays and giving up the least forward progress but that stat favors big achoring DL who can't or don't make plays downfield or away from their tackle-box area. High motor guys get in on many more tackles, like Rubin/Shazier, so this is a stat I simply don't like since its decieving.

Shazier is going to be a stud in both IDP and real football in terms of being 'thee-guy' in the middle for the Steelers but I predict that he will always rank low on this sort of stat but I've already stated why I am critical of this particular stat because its decieiving.

Steelers might end up with Timmons as OLB next year, cause Worlids sucks. He wont be back, Shazier and Spence in the middle, Jones and Timmons on the outside. Again, not til next year.

Hate that Shazier looked so good, wanted to get him mid-late rds of our draft, now I might have to take him a lot earlier being in pittsburgh based league, everyone will want him.
My advice to you 'pay up'

apparently, shazier was in on 36 snaps out of maybe 45 in the first half (with timmons also at 36), which is pretty fat for a half.

in that half buffalo threw to a te or rb about 14x and ran about 14x -- that's pretty good action

apparently, shazier was in on 36 snaps out of maybe 45 in the first half, which is pretty fat for a half.

in that half buffalo threw to a te or rb about 14x and ran about 14x -- that's pretty good action
he didn't play too well though. A lot of tackles made down field. Short term, good thing. Not long term though. Bad angles and issues shedding, letting receptions happen in front of him. The splash plays were very impressive, but most of what I saw was the inconsistent Shazier I remember.With that line in front of him he needs to adjust, fast, or the Steeler d is probably going to struggle this year.

I didn't see it and certainly am not qualified to judge if I did, but I think there are many examples of guys like worrilow, or whoever, that maybe aren't on the patrick willis level, but can compile great fantasy stats.

do you think there's really a chance they make him a part timer and go back to dime with polamalu?

I didn't see it and certainly am not qualified to judge if I did, but I think there are many examples of guys like worrilow, or whoever, that maybe aren't on the patrick willis level, but can compile great fantasy stats.

do you think there's really a chance they make him a part timer and go back to dime with polamalu?
not right now, they don't have alternatives.

The Claymaker said:
Pitts defense has not looked that great so far, certainly isn't his fault though.
totally disagree, his play was all over the place. Misread at least two pass plays, over pursued at least twice vs the run then got beat by the ball carrier with his feet out of position, and missed several run fits getting swallowed up by blockers.Others were worse, notably Heyward, but he was not good at all.

Guess we will see what happens when the regular season starts, I'm sticking with my guess of top 10 IDP numbers.
if the defense plays like this he might, they'll never get off the field. They were getting mauled by the eagles backups. If this carries over I may wait to try to trade him until after the season.

apparently, shazier was in on 36 snaps out of maybe 45 in the first half, which is pretty fat for a half.

he didn't play too well though. A lot of tackles made down field. Short term, good thing. Not long term though. Bad angles and issues shedding, letting receptions happen in front of him. The splash plays were very impressive, but most of what I saw was the inconsistent Shazier I remember.With that line in front of him he needs to adjust, fast, or the Steeler d is probably going to struggle this year.
This IS his game. You and I seem to be in the minority about our concerns. The coaches he plays for don't seen to see it and keep him in the game. As long as he's in the game, he racks up tackles.

Yeah, just like last week. He almost had another pick, had excellent coverage on the RB.
His pass coverage skills is a major asset. This is why they drafted him. He's basically a big safety.
reminds me of a random article from last year I just read

There's an extremely valuable player in college football these days. His position name may differ at each school from nickel back to strong safety to star to outside linebacker -- this assumes he even exists on some defenses -- but his attributes are similar.

He stands about 6-foot-1, 210 pounds. He can run, defend in space, play man coverage and blitz.

"You're going to see this year more emphasis on the hybrid defensive player," Herbstreit said. "These offenses that go tempo, they're predicated on numbers in the box. Saban can't get six defensive backs on the field on third-and-eight like he wants to. You have to run the same defense with the same personnel. You need versatility, guys who can be physical and run."

Florida had one of those players in 2012 with linebacker Jelani Jenkins, who is now in the NFL.

"He could play in space, cover in the slot," Florida coach Will Muschamp said. "He provided a lot of things for us that not many linebackers can do. He was a very unusual athlete. He's a guy that we certainly will miss."

And Jenkins is vying for a job outside in a 4-3, I thought he'd win it by now but the fins are being coy about their lb plans. Not sure what to make of that.

I wouldnt be shocked if this happens, but highly doubt it, and if it does happen its because the Steelers cant afford Worilds, not that he sucks. Certainly the only reason it would occur is if Worilds leaves and they dont bring in a FA/high draft pick OLB to fill that role since they dont have a current OLB that I can see stepping in. Honestly either way though, Id say Timmons and Shazier are entrenched in the middle.

Follow up on last week:

Both Timmons & Shazier with similar stats yet seemingly different roles at preseason game #3:

Shazier had no tackles in run plays whereas 3 of 5 of Timmons came from run games with a negative yard average. {I will rewatch the game to see whose assignments it was to stop the play after Timmons stopped the run short of a TD and Tucker ran it in the next play.} This game looks to me more like a mayo-collins analogy than a willis-bowman one.

1-10-PIT49 (13:55) (No Huddle, Shotgun) L.McCoy left end to PHI 46 for -5 yards (L.Timmons).

1-3-PIT3 (8:43) (Shotgun) M.Tucker up the middle to PIT 1 for 2 yards (L.Timmons).

1-1-PIT1 (1:01) (No Huddle, Shotgun) M.Tucker up the middle to PIT 1 for no gain (L.Timmons).

Users who are viewing this thread