What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ryan Shazier to ILB in Pittsburgh. (2 Viewers)

The Claymaker said:
Pitts defense has not looked that great so far, certainly isn't his fault though.
totally disagree, his play was all over the place. Misread at least two pass plays, over pursued at least twice vs the run then got beat by the ball carrier with his feet out of position, and missed several run fits getting swallowed up by blockers.Others were worse, notably Heyward, but he was not good at all.
That's what I thought. Shazier didn't look good to me. Couldn't cover the TEs or backs. made tackles but they were the Kirk Morrison type of tackles, 8 yards from the LOS

Sounds like Shazier is one big overrated ball of goo.
I think he could be really good outside in a 4-3, it's why I drafted him to my college taxi squad. Inside in a 3-4? Well...
This.

That is basically what I saw pre-draft. Classic speedy backside pursuit 4-3 weakside LB. He'd be perfect in that role.

Was shocked he went top-twenty and to the Steelers but they need speed/athleticism on that D badly and that is what he is a speedy athletic LBer who will rack up tons of tackles but he will take odd angles.

I'm sure LeBeau is keeping his blitz packages under wraps so Shazier will definitely be utilized blitzing IMHO.

Even if it ain't purty he's going to be wracking up the IDP points and he's got a shot to make splash plays and have impactful fantasy weeks.

Even if it ain't purty he's going to be wracking up the IDP points and he's got a shot to make splash plays and have impactful fantasy weeks.
This is the takeaway.

Even if the Steelers' defense is as bad as it looks like it might be, Shazier is going to be peppered with opportunities(Timmons as well). Their front 3 is subpar against the run, and even if the LBs are making tackles 6 yards downfield those still count for FF. Barrett Ruud was pretty awesome for fantasy for four or five years doing that in Tampa, and he didn't get many splash plays most years. Shazier will likely get picked on in coverage whenever he's dropped as well, so more opportunities there as well.

Shazier's a rookie and he's going to have his growing pains. He's going to get washed out of a ton of plays because of the poor noseguard playing in front of him, like Timmons was before him at the Mack at times. He's also almost guaranteed to see a high snap count and compile stats just by being on the field as often as he is, coupled with the fact he's got legit speed to chase after plays everywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
PFF rookie grades for all first rounders are out.

Shazier has the worst defender grade for all first round rookies this year.

This is their take after three preseason games.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/08/25/first-round-first-impressions-updated/2/

15. Ryan Shazier, Pittsburgh Steelers, LB
Grade: -5.4
Snaps: 105
Analysis: While his numbers have been eye popping and a sample of his highlight reel plays would have you convinced he’s ready, there’s been plenty of evidence to the contrary. Steve Palazzolo had a really good look at things here after his Buffalo game and while he added a pass defense and six more tackles against the Eagles, lets not forget he was exposed in coverage. Looks like we should expect a rollercoaster ride with him this year.

I'm lost. Shazier could have had another double digit tackle night, but he was used to shadow the best receiving RB in the league perhaps. I get that the bar is extremely high, but lest not forget it's his 2nd game in the league.

I'm lost. Shazier could have had another double digit tackle night, but he was used to shadow the best receiving RB in the league perhaps. I get that the bar is extremely high, but lest not forget it's his 2nd game in the league.
Patience is no longer a virtue in fantasy football my friend. His "preseason" performance will NOT dictate his career trajectory. Seems these days, that If you aren't flawless right out of the gate, something is wrong. Rookies take time to develop. Furthermore, we are talking about a defensive scheme that is so complex, rookies SELDOM start in it. Somehow Shazier was one who did. I think that speaks more to the confidence the team has in him than some PFF writeup spanning his first two, part time NFL games ever. Color me not concerned. But I guess when the games aren't here, we will look for anything to call out. I'm guilty of it myself. We are talking about a 105 snap sample size here. Let's see a full year play out before we go calling for his head here!

Last edited by a moderator:
Surprised it took you guys so long to post his highlights, his film of mistakes would be a lot longer though. Browns got back in the game running wild despite no passing threat and it was in large part due to shoddy lb play. Both Timmons and Shazier missed a lot of plays.

MAC_32 said:
Surprised it took you guys so long to post his highlights, his film of mistakes would be a lot longer though. Browns got back in the game running wild despite no passing threat and it was in large part due to shoddy lb play. Both Timmons and Shazier missed a lot of plays.
As an IDP performer, Shazier is getting better. The YPC is alarming to me though:

West: 16 carries with 6.3 ypc

Tate: 6 carries with 6.8 ypc

Crowell: 5 carries with 6.4 ypc

CLE Total: 30 carries with 6.1 ypc

If I were in charge, I would either focus on the ILBs to step it up, or adjust the DL gap scheme, or make personnel decisions, etc... whatever works to stuff the run.

The Thursday Night matchup between PIT and BAL will present an interesting contrast in styles between Shazier and Mosley, two of the top Defensive Rookie of the Year candidates.

Seemed to be swallowed up and blocked out of a lot of plays. Solid sta line but LOTS of room for growth here. Far from a finished product. I will take the points during this process! Happily.

Spence seems to have a clue in pass coverage and they sometimes rotate Williams in during short yardage.

From what I've seen from Shazier, he's not prepared to play in the NFL. Completely lost in coverage and below average instincts. He's really fast though...

I expect they'll start working him in this week. Would like to see what he could do in pass rush situations. Add him and Moats in with Worilds, Jones and Harrison. Has to be some exotic 3rd and long blitzes that can get home with that group.

Spence seems to have a clue in pass coverage and they sometimes rotate Williams in during short yardage.

From what I've seen from Shazier, he's not prepared to play in the NFL. Completely lost in coverage and below average instincts. He's really fast though...

I expect they'll start working him in this week. Would like to see what he could do in pass rush situations. Add him and Moats in with Worilds, Jones and Harrison. Has to be some exotic 3rd and long blitzes that can get home with that group.
Surely they saw this during training camp, preseason, early games...

He went off last week, hope he can do it again this week. I realy need him, so he will probably be a last minute scratch...

What kind of chance does he have to play next week? Anyone know exactly what his injury is? All I know is shoulder.

Looks like another week of full practice. should be good to go. he's available in 2 of my leagues; trying to decide if I should drop Hicks or Jelanie for him

It seems like Shazier is made of glass. I wouldn't get rid of a solid LB like Jenkins for somebody like Shazier who might out score him by a few points if he plays but who also may just get hurt again and force you to go back to the waiver wire where Jenkins and quality backers like him are long gone.

It seems like Shazier is made of glass. I wouldn't get rid of a solid LB like Jenkins for somebody like Shazier who might out score him by a few points if he plays but who also may just get hurt again and force you to go back to the waiver wire where Jenkins and quality backers like him are long gone.
I concur. No way I would drop or move Jelani for Shazier.

Shazier seems like an absolute IDP tease.  As soon as he flashes, the guy will limp back to the sideline or be listed as doubtful.  Elite upside, but I'd be selling if another owner has visions of a top 5 LB entering his prime dancing in their head.

Shazier seems like an absolute IDP tease.  As soon as he flashes, the guy will limp back to the sideline or be listed as doubtful.  Elite upside, but I'd be selling if another owner has visions of a top 5 LB entering his prime dancing in their head.
Drafted Shazier in our rookie draft 2 years ago and I can second this without hesitation.  :yes:

He may yet figure it out - physical and mental maturity as well as learning the ILB position (played OLB in college) bodes well for him as he enters his prime years. Remember he is still only 23 years old! That said, not sure what can be done to address the constant soft tissue and knee/shoulder injuries he sustains. He is like owning a finely tuned sports car that when running properly is exhilarating, but requires constant maintenance and near perfect conditions to perform.

Users who are viewing this thread