What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Saints trade for Barrett Ruud (1 Viewer)

Here's another site's take:

The Saints have acquired MLB Barrett Ruud from the Seahawks for an undisclosed draft pick.With their linebacker corps devastated with suspensions (Jonathan Vilma, Lawrence Wilson, and Ramon Humber) and injuries (Chris Chamberlain, David Hawthorne, and Curtis Lofton), the Saints were desperate for help at the position. The 29-year-old Ruud lost out to impressive rookie Bobby Wagner for the starting middle linebacker in Seattle, but figures to be the favorite for the starting job in New Orleans. Once healthy, Lofton will move to the strong side and Hawthorne will work the weak side.

Suggesting that Lofton will move to SLB seems awfully speculative, although I'm curious to hear Doc's take.

Wow, just when you thought the Saints defense couldn't have a weirder offseason...who broke a mirror? :confused:

Thoughts on Ruud in NO, Lofton's injury and the trade's impact on Seattle LB's?
Rudd is a below average NFL LB that stepped into a situation that may point out. Went from the bench to potentially starting at MLB on a bad defense- not too bad. He will not put up Vilma numbers, but maybe has LB3 potential. Someone has to make tackles outside of Harper.As for Lofton, his high ankle sprain and the potential move to the strong side kills his value. Looks to be potential WW material for redraft leagues.And the impact on Seattle LB's- none as Rudd was a bench player. Wright was the 3 down player to own before the trade as well as after the move. And for dynasty leagues, Wagner is probably the guy you want.

Before Ruud's injury last year he played in 8 games. in half of them he got 5+ tackles. While he's not the second coming of anyone, he could still be putting up good points and worthy of a flier or WW pickup

'helix said:
'gbill2004 said:
Rudd is a below average NFL LB
Below average? Really? Prior to his injury shortened 2011 season, the dude averaged nearly 100 SOLO tackles for 3 straight years. WTF do you want from the guy? But yes, he stepped into a fantastic situation in which, if the rumors are true, he represents tremendous value if he sticks at MLB

'helix said:
'gbill2004 said:
Below average? Really? Prior to his injury shortened 2011 season, the dude averaged nearly 100 SOLO tackles for 3 straight years. WTF do you want from the guy? But yes, he stepped into a fantastic situation in which, if the rumors are true, he represents tremendous value if he sticks at MLB
Probably not much chance of him being a 3-down player though if/when Lofton and Hawthorne are healthy

'helix said:
'gbill2004 said:
Fantasy success isn't always indicitive of NFL quality. Why do you think he was let go from Tampa Bay and has had three teams in the past two years? Titans, Seahawks, and now Saints? If he was truely a NFL stud teams would of held onto him and he would of not lost his job to a rookie...twice. He may tackle, but he doesn't stop them where he finds them. He's rather soft and unphysical in his style of play. He's not a run stuffing hard hitting MLB. He may show fantasy success, which is ultimately what is important to us here, but on a NFL level, he's not a quality MLB.

'helix said:
'gbill2004 said:
Fantasy success isn't always indicitive of NFL quality. Why do you think he was let go from Tampa Bay and has had three teams in the past two years? Titans, Seahawks, and now Saints? If he was truely a NFL stud teams would of held onto him and he would of not lost his job to a rookie...twice. He may tackle, but he doesn't stop them where he finds them. He's rather soft and unphysical in his style of play. He's not a run stuffing hard hitting MLB. He may show fantasy success, which is ultimately what is important to us here, but on a NFL level, he's not a quality MLB.
I thought fantasy success is what we are here for?If he starts at MLB he could give you a few good weeks while Lofton is out

Sorry, but why are folks saying Rudd will replace Lofton at MLB even if and when Lofton is healthy, considering that Lofton should be ready for game 1 especially?

What is the source for that?

I see Ruud as backing up Lofton at MLB when all are well and good to go, excluding Chamberlain of course. And Casillas can play on the outside as well.

Folks in Seattle don't seem too bummed by this and see Wagner as the better player right now. Some in NO are sorry to see a draft pick go for Ruud at this stage of his career.

Sorry, but why are folks saying Rudd will replace Lofton at MLB even if and when Lofton is healthy, considering that Lofton should be ready for game 1 especially?What is the source for that?I see Ruud as backing up Lofton at MLB when all are well and good to go, excluding Chamberlain of course. And Casillas can play on the outside as well.Folks in Seattle don't seem too bummed by this and see Wagner as the better player right now. Some in NO are sorry to see a draft pick go for Ruud at this stage of his career.
I think it is because high ankle sprains are unstable injuries, some can take 2-4 weeks to heal and some take 8 weeks. I think it is more of an "IF" Lofton can't go week 1 through ? Ruud will fill in and I think he will be fine, Ruud is not a bad player, maybe he is not a banger but he hustles and is smart.

Sorry, but why are folks saying Rudd will replace Lofton at MLB even if and when Lofton is healthy, considering that Lofton should be ready for game 1 especially?What is the source for that?I see Ruud as backing up Lofton at MLB when all are well and good to go, excluding Chamberlain of course. And Casillas can play on the outside as well.Folks in Seattle don't seem too bummed by this and see Wagner as the better player right now. Some in NO are sorry to see a draft pick go for Ruud at this stage of his career.
Word is that Lofton is expected to slide to the strong side, Hawthorne at WILL and Ruud will man the middle. No indication as to whether that will be permanent, but that's what is being reported (I don't want to link to other sites, but if you look for it, you'll find it)

Wouldn't trust Rotoworld for IDP on something as technical as how the Saints will align Lofton, Hawthorne and Ruud. Their 'analysis' is nothing more than a guess. Until you hear it from the team, a beat writer or Jene, I wouldn't put much stock in it.

'helix said:
'gbill2004 said:
Really. At this point in Rudd's career he is a below average NFL LB. Not only do I think he is below average, but so does the staffs in Tampa, Tenn and Seattle. When have you seen a good NFL LB cycle through 4 teams in 2 years?Solo tackles stats are sometimes NOT an indicator of being a good NFL player.

'helix said:
'gbill2004 said:
Really. At this point in Rudd's career he is a below average NFL LB. Not only do I think he is below average, but so does the staffs in Tampa, Tenn and Seattle. When have you seen a good NFL LB cycle through 4 teams in 2 years?Solo tackles stats are sometimes NOT an indicator of being a good NFL player.
Especially when they are 10 yards down the field.

Last edited by a moderator:
'helix said:
'gbill2004 said:
Unless your league penalizes for distance from the line of scrimmage of the tackle this doesn't really matter - at least while Lofton is injured.If you are talking dynasty, then obviously Ruud is unlikely to have much value long term - but that is not what I at least have been discussing.

Unless your league penalizes for distance from the line of scrimmage of the tackle this doesn't really matter - at least while Lofton is injured.If you are talking dynasty, then obviously Ruud is unlikely to have much value long term - but that is not what I at least have been discussing.
I don't think anyone is questioning the fact Ruud could have some short term fantasy value.How long and to what extent the value will be remains to be seen. Ruud's actual ability and track record gives pause and should temper expectations here. As previously mentioned, three NFL teams have given up on him for rookie replacements in the last two years.

'J Giles Band said:
Wouldn't trust Rotoworld for IDP on something as technical as how the Saints will align Lofton, Hawthorne and Ruud. Their 'analysis' is nothing more than a guess. Until you hear it from the team, a beat writer or Jene, I wouldn't put much stock in it.
:goodposting: I still haven't seen anything from the Saints beat writers about this. Without facts and if I had to predict this, I can't imagine Ruud playing MLB if Lofton is healthy. Ruud played terrible last year and wasn't much better toward the end with Tampa. He might have some short term value if Lofton is out, but unless I see something that suggests Ruud will stay in the middle and Lofton moves outside, I will stick to the belief that Ruud was just a depth pickup because of the injuries.

Is Wagner now a 3 down LB?
I don't think this trade changes anything regarding Wagner. I have not seen any Seattle games, but I thought I read somewhere that Wagner was not on the field in passing situations last week. I'm not 100% sure about that though. For now, I would not put too much stock in anything until after the week 3 preseason game. I think the one thing that is clear is that Wagner is going to start.

I don't think this trade changes anything regarding Wagner. I have not seen any Seattle games, but I thought I read somewhere that Wagner was not on the field in passing situations last week. I'm not 100% sure about that though. For now, I would not put too much stock in anything until after the week 3 preseason game. I think the one thing that is clear is that Wagner is going to start.
From what I've seen it's been Wright and Hill in the nickel. It wouldn't shock me to see that change at some point during the season, but for now I'm proceeding under the assumption that Wagner's a "two down" guy.

From what I've seen it's been Wright and Hill in the nickel. It wouldn't shock me to see that change at some point during the season, but for now I'm proceeding under the assumption that Wagner's a "two down" guy.
From what I've seen so far in Preseason, i'd agree with this. Wagner has typically only been in on two downs with K.J. Wright staying in the three downs. I'm a Wagner owner and i'm holding tight because eventually he'll get the three down work. Seattle has him on the fast track to success.

Look dude, the statement you quoted clearly referred to his ability in NFL terms, not fantasy terms. You're arguing a point that no one disagrees with.Does it matter if he's below average in terms of NFL talent if his fantasy production is high? No. But no one said it did.

But keep in mind that talent creates its opportunity and a lack of talent loses its opportunity. So you are banking that his diminishing ability won't cost him a job. That's fine. But if you followed your line of thinking at his last couple of stops, you had to have been disappointed when he didn't hold down that valuable MLB position because each of those teams released him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread