What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** San Francisco 49ers *** gain $17 million in cap space due to Armsteads departure and are now $25 million under the cap (3 Viewers)

Trying to project Niners offensive players.

Last year they were top 5 in passing yards and passing TDs, but dead last in pass attempts. They were one of only three teams to run the ball more than pass it on the year. That screams regression to me.

The question is do their pass attempts increase to take advantage of the good thing going in the passing game? Or do the stats come down to earth a bit to be more in line with attempts? Or do things stay the same and the Niners are just some weird anomaly in the analytics world?

Last year they were top 5 in passing yards and passing TDs, but dead last in pass attempts. They were one of only three teams to run the ball more than pass it on the year. That screams regression to me.

The question is do their pass attempts increase to take advantage of the good thing going in the passing game? Or do the stats come down to earth a bit to be more in line with attempts? Or do things stay the same and the Niners are just some weird anomaly in the analytics world?
Well, IMO, the 49ers throw the ball more this year. They averaged just under 29 attempts this year, but with Purdy having a full training camp this year in addition to his progression in the offense, I can see a bigger trust factor and attempts go up 5 per game or so. Nice increase but nothing crazy in comparison to the rest of the league. Will take some wear and tear off McCaffrey as well. They drafted Pearsall for a reason and not just to replace Aiyuk or Deebo next year. Efficiency will probably drop a bit so they probably end up in that same range of 4200 passing yards with the additional attempts.

Well, IMO, the 49ers throw the ball more this year. They averaged just under 29 attempts this year, but with Purdy having a full training camp this year in addition to his progression in the offense, I can see a bigger trust factor and attempts go up 5 per game or so. Nice increase but nothing crazy in comparison to the rest of the league. Will take some wear and tear off McCaffrey as well. They drafted Pearsall for a reason and not just to replace Aiyuk or Deebo next year. Efficiency will probably drop a bit so they probably end up in that same range of 4200 passing yards with the additional attempts.

I think I agree. Does anyone know if they changed their offensive game plan at all last year in regards to the passing game, or are these stats just representative of Purdy?

9.6 yards per pass attempt combined with an almost 70% completion rate is fricking insane and way higher than previous Shannahan offenses. My worry is this is something the league starts to figure out. In any case, I think projecting some level of regression here is warranted.

Doing some further analysis, Purdy was way less than 9.6 YPA over the last 5 games of the season and in the playoffs. Definitely seeing some regression here as the league catches up, but he's still really good.

Doing some further analysis, Purdy was way less than 9.6 YPA over the last 5 games of the season and in the playoffs. Definitely seeing some regression here as the league catches up, but he's still really good.
We keep hearing about the league catching up to him. Was supposed to happen last year but other than the Ravens game, nobody really caught up to him. Even if the YPA dropped, they were still scoring a ton of points. Adding Pearsall is going to be a bigger addition to the overall offense this year than people think IMO. He's a piece they were really missing. Jennings is good, but plays more like a TE where Pearsall will make plays down the field. They needed another WR who can separate.

We keep hearing about the league catching up to him. Was supposed to happen last year but other than the Ravens game, nobody really caught up to him. Even if the YPA dropped, they were still scoring a ton of points. Adding Pearsall is going to be a bigger addition to the overall offense this year than people think IMO. He's a piece they were really missing. Jennings is good, but plays more like a TE where Pearsall will make plays down the field. They needed another WR who can separate.
More importantly they needed another WR who could run crisp routes.

IMO the biggest beneficiaries of the Pearsall pick are Deebo & CMC. Defenses weren’t respecting/fooled by the pre-snap motion stuff when it was just Jennings/Aiyuk.

In theory this offense will be much harder to defend.

The league will catch up to some degree. It's not a knock on Purdy, but they will eventually see what the Niners are doing and adjust. It looked like they started to at the end of last year (not just the Ravens and Chiefs). But as you say, they were still damn good.

Unless you think 9.6 YPA is sustainable throughout his career, then lets get him and Shanahan in the HoF now.

OK, initial projection for Purdy

326/480 4,080 yards
28/11 TD/INT
30/120/1 Rushing

This incorporates a bit of regression. Puts him at my QB14 which seems low, but this is why you project by team offense.

The league will catch up to some degree. It's not a knock on Purdy, but they will eventually see what the Niners are doing and adjust. It looked like they started to at the end of last year (not just the Ravens and Chiefs). But as you say, they were still damn good.

Unless you think 9.6 YPA is sustainable throughout his career, then lets get him and Shanahan in the HoF now.
The $50 million/year question (for the 49ers at least) is whether the league "catches up" to him and he regresses, or if he continues to develop in his third year with a full, healthy offseason. In the latter scenario I think one could expect better fantasy numbers based on higher volume even if he's less efficient. I wouldn't be terribly shocked with either outcome.

Larry Krueger:

Some quick thoughts on #49ers OTAs:

-Purdy looks primed for his career year. Stronger, smarter, and more sudden.
-Josh Dobbs is rangy and athletic, but I think Brandon Allen and Tanner Mordecai are better QBs and have a chance To beat him out in the preseason.
-Cody Schrader looks better every time I see him
-Isaac Guerendo has more WR and FB traits than he has RB traits
-JP Mason looks primed for a breakout campaign
-Ricky Pearsall will become a 3rd down monster.
-Jacob Cowing will emerge as a very significant player and will become a favorite of Purdy.
-Mason Pline reminds me of a taller Brent Jones. Smart, competitive, good hands. Very Underrated athlete.
-Dominik Puni and Spencer Burford should battle in July/August for #1 RG spot
-Prediction: Feliciano, Nugent or Kingston will beat out Jake Brendel for starting Center job
-Leonard Floyd/Nick Bosa will be a super productive DE combo. Both will finish w/10+ sacks.
-DT-Jordan Elliott was an underrated addition. Very strong with quick feet.
-Evan Anderson (#60) looks explosive and strong and will make the final 53 at DT
-Jaylen Graham is an absolute star in the making at ILB.
-Malik Mustapha and Renardo Green will both play significant roles as rookies in SF’s secondary, both have ALPHA type personalities.
-Darrell Luter Jr. will start outside opposite Mooney Ward at CB and will make dramatic strides in his 2nd year. Luther’s high level talent and athleticism really stand out on practice field.

49ers gain $17 million in cap space

The San Francisco 49ers owned about $8.24 million in salary cap space yesterday, per OverTheCap.com. Today, that number jumped to an initial estimate of $25.25 million. This substantial increase is due to the team gaining roughly $17 million in salary-cap savings by designating Arik Armstead as a June 1 cut.

Armstead's departure results in about $10.3 million in dead money for 2024 and approximately $15.5 million in 2025, per OverTheCap.com. However, his release provided the 49ers with much-needed salary cap flexibility.

The 49ers could gain even more cap space by signing wide receiver Brandon Aiyuk to a contract extension. Currently set to earn $14.124 million this season on a team-exercised fifth-year option, restructuring his contract could move some of that money into future years. Paying a significant portion of a new deal upfront through a signing bonus, which can be spread throughout the length of the contract, and even further using void years, if necessary.

Link

49ers gain $17 million in cap space

The San Francisco 49ers owned about $8.24 million in salary cap space yesterday, per OverTheCap.com. Today, that number jumped to an initial estimate of $25.25 million. This substantial increase is due to the team gaining roughly $17 million in salary-cap savings by designating Arik Armstead as a June 1 cut.

Armstead's departure results in about $10.3 million in dead money for 2024 and approximately $15.5 million in 2025, per OverTheCap.com. However, his release provided the 49ers with much-needed salary cap flexibility.

The 49ers could gain even more cap space by signing wide receiver Brandon Aiyuk to a contract extension. Currently set to earn $14.124 million this season on a team-exercised fifth-year option, restructuring his contract could move some of that money into future years. Paying a significant portion of a new deal upfront through a signing bonus, which can be spread throughout the length of the contract, and even further using void years, if necessary.

Link
Further proof the NFL salary cap is a joke, but level playing field so no complaints.

Larry Krueger:

-Josh Dobbs is rangy and athletic, but I think Brandon Allen and Tanner Mordecai are better QBs and have a chance To beat him out in the preseason.
-Jacob Cowing will emerge as a very significant player and will become a favorite of Purdy.
-Mason Pline reminds me of a taller Brent Jones. Smart, competitive, good hands. Very Underrated athlete.
-Prediction: Feliciano, Nugent or Kingston will beat out Jake Brendel for starting Center job
-Leonard Floyd/Nick Bosa will be a super productive DE combo. Both will finish w/10+ sacks.
-Evan Anderson (#60) looks explosive and strong and will make the final 53 at DT
-Malik Mustapha and Renardo Green will both play significant roles as rookies in SF’s secondary, both have ALPHA type personalities.
-Darrell Luter Jr. will start outside opposite Mooney Ward at CB and will make dramatic strides in his 2nd year. Luther’s high level talent and athleticism really stand out on practice field.

No offense but this reads like a bit of a lake wobegon report.

Larry Krueger:

Here's another reporters breakdown of Krueger's takes:

Larry Krueger:

After reading that I thought they should just give the 9ers the SB rings for 2024 and move on to next year.

Larry Krueger:

After reading that I thought they should just give the 9ers the SB rings for 2024 and move on to next year.
We must be the only franchise that has reporters who hype up the team in OTAs.

Larry Krueger:

Other than maybe the Graham comment I’m not really seeing what is so controversially homer-ific. Saying so and so will have a big role on the team implies as much negative about the other roster players as it does positive about the guy being remarked upon.

Larry Krueger:

Other than maybe the Graham comment I’m not really seeing what is so controversially homer-ific. Saying so and so will have a big role on the team implies as much negative about the other roster players as it does positive about the guy being remarked upon.

Actually Purdy better be primed for a HOF kind of year rather than just a career year given he'll be supporting

CMAC
Deebo
Aiyuk
Jennings
Kittle
Pearsall monstering
Cowing's joining the first four as a favorite
Pline doing Brent Jones things

“Third down monster” and a “significant player” doesn’t mean those guys are making the pro bowl, it just means they will have roles in the offense. Hope that helps.

“Third down monster” and a “significant player” doesn’t mean those guys are making the pro bowl, it just means they will have roles in the offense. Hope that helps.
Maybe for this writer a 3rd down monster is the guy cleaning up in blowouts and Putdy's favorite is the guy who buffs his footballs in practice.

When you're trotting out CMac, Aiyuk, Deebo, Kittle, and Jennings there's not going to be a whole lot of meat left on the bone. These other guys aren't going to be monsters or favorites unless there are several significant injuries or they have horrible seasons.

Maybe for this writer a 3rd down monster is the guy cleaning up in blowouts and Putdy's favorite is the guy who buffs his footballs in practice.

When you're trotting out CMac, Aiyuk, Deebo, Kittle, and Jennings there's not going to be a whole lot of meat left on the bone. These other guys aren't going to be monsters or favorites unless there are several significant injuries or they have horrible seasons.
Jennings has a reputation as a big third down guy locally (“third and Jauan”) and he had 19 catches last year. It’s not crazy to think Pearsall, for example, could come in and be more impactful in 3-4 WR sets (which SF hasn’t used historically but may this year) and have a significant real life impact but with numbers that wouldn’t cause a fantasy team owner to ever take notice.

Jennings has a reputation as a big third down guy locally (“third and Jauan”) and he had 19 catches last year. It’s not crazy to think Pearsall, for example, could come in and be more impactful in 3-4 WR sets (which SF hasn’t used historically but may this year) and have a significant real life impact but with numbers that wouldn’t cause a fantasy team owner to ever take notice.
Yeah. Why anyone would take the time to call that article out is pretty funny. Tame stuff by most offseason talk standards.

Yeah. Why anyone would take the time to call that article out is pretty funny. Tame stuff by most offseason talk standards.
Many of us are looking for an edge, especially if we are drafting now. We dissect these articles for helpful nuggets. Beyond that dissection, we must assign a credibility level to the article. When an article has both positive and negative statements/opinions it gives it more credibility.

The writing is on the wall for Cam Latu as 49ers sign a new TE2

The 49ers are working to finalize a deal with veteran TE Logan Thomas, source says. After a 55-catch season with the Commanders in 2023, Thomas returns to the NFC West, where he began his career as a QB for the AZCardinals.

The writing is on the wall for Cam Latu as 49ers sign a new TE2

The 49ers are working to finalize a deal with veteran TE Logan Thomas, source says. After a 55-catch season with the Commanders in 2023, Thomas returns to the NFC West, where he began his career as a QB for the AZCardinals.

Absolutely hated this pick when they made it. Ringo and Blake Freeland were still on the board. Maybe they don't pan out, but would have been much better picks IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread