What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Saunders to the Raiders? (1 Viewer)

wannabee

Footballguy
Saunders Will Be Raiders' First Interview for Coach

Offensive Coordinator Has Spent 15 Seasons With Chiefs

By JANIE McCAULEY, AP Sports

ALAMEDA, Calif. (Jan. 11) - The Oakland Raiders will interview their first candidate to replace fired coach Norv Turner when they meet with Kansas City Chiefs offensive coordinator Al Saunders on Thursday.

Saunders was scheduled to arrive in the Bay Area on Wednesday night and meet with team officials Thursday.

Owner Al Davis vowed to take his time finding a replacement for Turner, fired last week on the heels of two straight losing seasons in which Oakland only won one game against the AFC West. The Raiders lost their final six games this season to finish 4-12 and went winless against the division for the first time since Davis came aboard in 1963 to coach and eventually own the team.

Raiders senior personnel chief Michael Lombardi will handle preliminary interviews with candidates, who will then meet with Davis if they meet certain criteria.

Saunders was interviewed by Chiefs president Carl Peterson to replace **** Vermeil, who retired after the season. But the Chiefs instead hired departed New York Jets' coach Herman Edwards.

Saunders could receive interviews with other clubs as well. He seems like a good fit in Davis' franchise, which has flopped with three straight losing seasons since reaching the 2003 Super Bowl and falling to Tampa Bay.

He's also just the kind of offensive-minded coach Davis prefers - and has experience as an NFL head coach and ties to Northern California. Saunders was an All-American defensive back at San Jose State and also attended Stanford. He served as an assistant head coach, quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator at California from 1976-81.

Saunders finished his fifth season as Chiefs offensive coordinator and 15th overall with the organization. He coached the wide receivers under Marty Schottenheimer from 1989-98, when the Chiefs won three division titles and made seven trips to the playoffs. Before that, Saunders coached the San Diego Chargers from the halfway mark of the 1986 season through '88, and the Chargers' 8-7 finish in '87 was the team's first winning season in five years.

Outspoken Raiders safety Jarrod Cooper knows one thing: He wants more discipline from the next coach.

Cooper, who has been camping and fishing in South Carolina and just learned of Turner's firing two days ago, said players showed up late for team meetings and other scheduling issues surfaced at times under Turner.

"Sometimes Norv was a little lenient on some things," Cooper said in a phone interview Wednesday. "Discipline, as much as some people don't like it, sometimes you need it. Being late for meetings, sticking to itinerary if you say going to leave at 2 - I'm usually in meetings at 6:30 a.m. every day - I've never been on a team that stood for that one way or other. You can't be late for work. Attention to detail, just the little things. After this year, it's the little things that count."

Fresno State coach Pat Hill may be on the Raiders' radar, too.

The 54-year-old Hill, who just finished his ninth season leading the Bulldogs, worked with Lombardi in Cleveland. Hill joined the Browns in 1992 and stayed five seasons, coaching tight ends and offensive line in addition to working in the personnel department evaluating players.

01/11/06 20:31 EST

I would be all for this. I know he was one of the guys Davis had his eyes on after firing Callahan. While the Raiders Defense has it's problems, they need a good offense guy to get full production out of the players.

from what I hear from tangental sources, this is almost a done deal as Saunders was Al Davis' choice once before but they couldn't work it out and hired somone else, so Al wants his second chance at him

As a Jordan owner, I'd be very happy with a Saunders hiring.
I live here in KC and this guy is being bent over by his own program. Poor guy has run the most productive offense in the league for the last 4 or 5 years now and he doesn't even get any consideration for the HC job with his own team...ouch!I think it would be sweet redemption if he ended up with the Raiders and they end up owning the chiefs. I heard on one of the radio stations here that one of the reasons he isn't being sought after as much as you'd expect is because I guess he went behind the back of one of his coaches when he was an assitant coach of some sort with a different team to land himself a better job without letting his HC know he was pursuing it. So now since all the GM's in the league are a "closeknit" group they are shying away from him because that was a dirty deed. Who knows. I think the guy is a good coach and seems to get his players to buy into his scheme and the players seem to like him as well.

Have they had their minority interview yet?
No Saunders has been the only interview. As soon as they bring in Art Shell (or possibly Singletary) for an interview, they've made their decision.

I live here in KC and this guy is being bent over by his own program. Poor guy has run the most productive offense in the league for the last 4 or 5 years now and he doesn't even get any consideration for the HC job with his own team...ouch!I think it would be sweet redemption if he ended up with the Raiders and they end up owning the chiefs. I heard on one of the radio stations here that one of the reasons he isn't being sought after as much as you'd expect is because I guess he went behind the back of one of his coaches when he was an assitant coach of some sort with a different team to land himself a better job without letting his HC know he was pursuing it. So now since all the GM's in the league are a "closeknit" group they are shying away from him because that was a dirty deed. Who knows. I think the guy is a good coach and seems to get his players to buy into his scheme and the players seem to like him as well.
It's Vermeil's scheme he was running. I wouldn't call it his scheme but maybe that's splitting hairs.He was a HC a long time ago and I don't believe he did so well. He has alot of friends in the Chiefs organization and IIRC Peterson's known him since 1974. It's possible he just doesn't feel he'd be a great HC. Or maybe they have completely different thoughts on free agents, what players to resign, what players are most important to the team etc. The way they're all friends I wouldn't be so quick to consider this as them disrespecting him. For all you know Peterson called Davis and put in a good word which "sealed the deal" for Saunders.

As a homer, you'd know better, but could it be that it's not so much Saunders getting the shaft, but rather Peterson's woody for Herm coupled with Woody's softening position?

Last edited by a moderator:
As a homer, you'd know better, but could it be that it's not so much Saunders getting the shaft, but rather Peterson's woody for Herm coupled with Woody's softening position?
The thought was to get a coach with a defensive mindset instead of a trying to continue to outscore the other team.

The thought was to get a coach with a defensive mindset instead of a trying to continue to outscore the other team.
I know what you mean, but isn't this the point of a game? ;) They wanted a defensive coach, but Peterson's friendship with Herm may have been a bigger reason for the hire, and Saunders has taken a lot of heat this year.

It's Vermeil's scheme he was running. I wouldn't call it his scheme but maybe that's splitting hairs.He was a HC a long time ago and I don't believe he did so well. He has alot of friends in the Chiefs organization and IIRC Peterson's known him since 1974. It's possible he just doesn't feel he'd be a great HC. Or maybe they have completely different thoughts on free agents, what players to resign, what players are most important to the team etc. The way they're all friends I wouldn't be so quick to consider this as them disrespecting him. For all you know Peterson called Davis and put in a good word which "sealed the deal" for Saunders.
This is the second time Saunders has been passed over for the HC spot, if I am not mistaken. The last time is when Gunther became head coach, Saunders left to coach the WRs in StL under Vermeil. If I remember correctly he was pretty upset with what happened. To me this indicates a lack of trust within the Chiefs organization that he can be an effective HC.For the guys loving this in regards to Lamont Jordan keep in mind the Chiefs have had one of the best offensive lines of the past many years helping the running game. Not to say Priest and LJ aren't great but that offense is a huge help as well, which Oakland doesn't have. I can absolutely see Saunders going with the passing game the way Al Davis loves it to be.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Davis loves the pass so much, why hasn't he interviewed Chow or Martz for the job yet? No better offensive minds available.

Saunders will not be working for Edwards. I would bank on it.
Just heard on the local sports network here in KC that Al Saunders is Al Davis's man and they (Chiefs and Raiders) may actually be swapping coaches. The word here in KC is that they are talking about bringing in Norv Turner as OC (Good for LJ) and the Raiders want Saunders as the HC (Good for Moss, Porter, and Collins). :football:

Just heard on the local sports network here in KC that Al Saunders is Al Davis's man and they (Chiefs and Raiders) may actually be swapping coaches. The word here in KC is that they are talking about bringing in Norv Turner as OC (Good for LJ) and the Raiders want Saunders as the HC (Good for Moss, Porter, and Collins). :football:
Why would this be good for Collins, whose time as a NFL starter should be up?When has Saunders ever had 2 top WRs?

Norv would be good for LJ.

Saunders will not be working for Edwards.  I would bank on it.
Why would this be good for Collins, whose time as a NFL starter should be up?When has Saunders ever had 2 top WRs?

I'm assuming it would atleast be better off for Moss, Porter, and Collins. Saunders used to be a WR's coach and a QB coach (I believe). You can't deny the guy resurrected Eddie Kennison's career here in KC and arguably Johnnie Morton and Andre Rison at the end of their careers...he did turn them into servicable #2 WR's. It can be argued as well that he turned Trent Green into one of the best QB's in the league. I mean, these guys have led the league in yards and/or points for like the last 5 years. Do you seriously think Grandpa **** was single handedly responsible for that? :confused:

I'm assuming it would atleast be better off for Moss, Porter, and Collins. Saunders used to be a WR's coach and a QB coach (I believe). You can't deny the guy resurrected Eddie Kennison's career here in KC and arguably Johnnie Morton and Andre Rison at the end of their careers...he did turn them into servicable #2 WR's. It can be argued as well that he turned Trent Green into one of the best QB's in the league. I mean, these guys have led the league in yards and/or points for like the last 5 years. Do you seriously think Grandpa **** was single handedly responsible for that? :confused:
I'll tell you what, if Oakland gets a line near KC's standard, you're probably right.I just see a huge part of Saunders success as a result of the line, which he may have helped with, but when you have the luxury of 2 future HOFers and a few more pro bowlers, that's huge.

Have they had their minority interview yet?
No Saunders has been the only interview. As soon as they bring in Art Shell (or possibly Singletary) for an interview, they've made their decision.
I think Lofton qualifies. Al found his guy, needed to get the required minority interview out of the way, brings in a former Raider WR that was nearby (and thus able to make the trip quickly.)Welcome to Oakland Al Saunders.

Saunders will not be working for Edwards.  I would bank on it.

I'll tell you what, if Oakland gets a line near KC's standard, you're probably right.I just see a huge part of Saunders success as a result of the line, which he may have helped with, but when you have the luxury of 2 future HOFers and a few more pro bowlers, that's huge.
I agree with the whole argrument about the KC line. Who built/nurtured that line? My bet is that Saunders knows a lot about what makes a good line and I'd be happy to have him teach the Raiders a thing or two.

With Saunders now going to DC, and Pat Hill seemingly out of the running, any news on who might be taking over in Oakland?

With Saunders now going to DC, and Pat Hill seemingly out of the running, any news on who might be taking over in Oakland?
Nope. A lot of people claiming to have inside info were certain Saunders was it.

Why do the Raiders always wait so long? They always seem like they are last in choosing a person when they have a vacancy. What's the saying...."you snooze, you lose!" We'll see if that holds true, huh>

Why do the Raiders always wait so long? They always seem like they are last in choosing a person when they have a vacancy. What's the saying...."you snooze, you lose!" We'll see if that holds true, huh>
Probably because most coaches are reticent to want to work for Al Davis. Didn't Turner essentially get the job since no one else wanted it, as opposed to him being Davis' choice?

Users who are viewing this thread