What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Save $ on cell service -- Ting Mobile / Solavei (+ other MVNOs) (2 Viewers)

Hooper31 said:
UPDATE: Three smart phones on Ting. We text a lot. Use very little talk time and data. Bill was $42.41 this month after getting a $6.24 credit from last month. Can't believe I let AT&T rape me monthly for over a year.
I wonder how much more you could save by switching from texts to a data-based app? Whatsapp or Google Voice or something like that.
Using Ting we pay $8 for up to 2000 texts each month. Between 2000 and 4000 texts it only costs $11. Once you hit 100 texts it costs $5. Probably not worth it, but its feasible. Under 100 texts is only $3, but that's likely not possible as texting is our standard way of communicating when were away from WIFI. The larger jumps in cost come from data usage.

Hulk, you ran this analysis for me a while back. My main zip is 54409, but we venture into 54402 frequently. I am considering Page Plus for my oldest son because I apparently can move his Iphone 4 to their network via their online porting application. However, according to Page Plus' coverage map, the 54402 zip has a great deal of voice only and it is all roaming (Wausau, WI). I believe it is because Verizon has no towers in that area and roams on AT&T.

Based on that, how does roaming work with Page Plus? Is there really a per minute fee to roam? Are there plans that include roaming in the monthly fees that I could consider? Trying to avoid a new phone, but may need to consider it to get on an At&t mvno.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Page Plus has Verizon's coverage and roams on Sprint, there is indeed a per minute charge for roaming, and I imagine it would get expensive fast. AT&T and Verizon will never roam with each other because the technology that runs each network is incompatible with the other.Page Plus has no plans with free roaming. But other Verizon MVNOs do. What was his usage again?

Hulk, you ran this analysis for me a while back. My main zip is 54409, but we venture into 54402 frequently. I am considering Page Plus for my oldest son because I apparently can move his Iphone 4 to their network via their online porting application. However, according to Page Plus' coverage map, the 54402 zip has a great deal of voice only and it is all roaming (Wausau, WI). I believe it is because Verizon has no towers in that area and roams on AT&T.

Based on that, how does roaming work with Page Plus? Is there really a per minute fee to roam? Are there plans that include roaming in the monthly fees that I could consider? Trying to avoid a new phone, but may need to consider it to get on an At&t mvno.

Page Plus has Verizon's coverage and roams on Sprint, there is indeed a per minute charge for roaming, and I imagine it would get expensive fast. AT&T and Verizon will never roam with each other because the technology that runs each network is incompatible with the other.Page Plus has no plans with free roaming. But other Verizon MVNOs do. What was his usage again?
His usage is about 400 minutes / 10,000 texts / 2 GB per month. Other son is out of contract 9/27, so I am open to moving him off Verizon and to whatever network is the best deal, but would need a new phone. Usage is about the same as above. I am stuck with Verizon due to my enterprise data connection with Good so that I can access work emails on my phone.

Thanks.

His usage is about 400 minutes / 10,000 texts / 2 GB per month. Other son is out of contract 9/27, so I am open to moving him off Verizon and to whatever network is the best deal, but would need a new phone. Usage is about the same as above. I am stuck with Verizon due to my enterprise data connection with Good so that I can access work emails on my phone.Thanks.
Unfortunately no Verizon MVNO has a plan that fits his usage AND has roaming. So, if he wants Verizon coverage, its Verizon or bust.Just buy him a Nexus 4 imo, only $299. Or wait until Sept. and the plastic iPhone comes out. Should be in the 300s I think. There are a couple of sub $50 a month plans that would work that include roaming. I just listed them out a few posts back, but Solavei and GoSmart Mobile would be the cheapest 2 and they both use T-Mo's network but roam on AT&T.

I didn't see instructions for porting my old number - it appears they just want you to jump into the activation process.

What do I need to know about porting an active number on Verizon? Do I need to contact Verizon first? Details would be appreciated.

I didn't see instructions for porting my old number - it appears they just want you to jump into the activation process.

What do I need to know about porting an active number on Verizon? Do I need to contact Verizon first? Details would be appreciated.
You're porting TO or FROM Verizon?You need to talk to whoever the TO is to make it happen.

I assume you are going from Verizon to Ting.. Please confirm.

If you are, I have done this for 3 phones, once you have the phone, you can activate it through the website at Ting. It will ask you if you are porting over a number or creating a new number. You will then be required to enter your Verizon Account info for the person who owns the Verizon account. Do not cancel your account at Verizon. the porting will automatically do that.

Here's some more info at the Ting Website

https://help.ting.com/entries/23735358-Question-about-porting-a-number-from-Verizon

https://help.ting.com/entries/20842287-Transferring-phone-numbers

I assume you are going from Verizon to Ting.. Please confirm.

If you are, I have done this for 3 phones, once you have the phone, you can activate it through the website at Ting. It will ask you if you are porting over a number or creating a new number. You will then be required to enter your Verizon Account info for the person who owns the Verizon account. Do not cancel your account at Verizon. the porting will automatically do that.

https://help.ting.com/entries/23735358-Question-about-porting-a-number-from-Verizon

Yes - to Ting.

I am not closing my entire V account now - this will only terminate a line correct?

I assume you are going from Verizon to Ting.. Please confirm.If you are, I have done this for 3 phones, once you have the phone, you can activate it through the website at Ting. It will ask you if you are porting over a number or creating a new number. You will then be required to enter your Verizon Account info for the person who owns the Verizon account. Do not cancel your account at Verizon. the porting will automatically do that.

Yes - to Ting.I am not closing my entire V account now - this will only terminate a line correct?
Yes, just the line associated with the number.

Any way to throttle a phone via Ting? I want to shut my daughters phone down from Internet access. She's crushing our data plan

Any way to throttle a phone via Ting? I want to shut my daughters phone down from Internet access. She's crushing our data plan
Get her off Ting and on to something with a data cap. When she hits the cap, she's done kiking for the month :shrug:

Hi Hulk,

I'm on a disintegrating dumb phone and am *almost* ready to make the move to smart phone. Mostly, I don't want to be beholden to my phone or my phone bill, which is why I say "almost." I've been researching the non-Verizon/AT&T/Spring deals and came across your message board discussion. Am now hoping for some advice since I like what I've read!

Never having owned a smart phone I can't tell you what type of data user I am. For voice and text though, over the last year I've been on a month-to-month pre-pay with Verizon, about $45/mo, which is an interesting plan: $2.99 per day for phone calls, IF you make a call. Doesn't matter if you make 1 call or 500, whether they last 30 seconds or 30 minutes or 3 hours, if you make a call it's $2.99 that day. If you don't, no charge. Texts are $0.02 each, incoming and outgoing. I've /mostly/ managed on $45 per month (that includes taxes), sometimes had to re-fill before the month is out. Let's average it to $60/month. Oh, and no data.

I tend to think I'd be a fairly light data user - e-mail and the occasional Facebook check, no music downloading or streaming, probably very few Youtubes and fewer (if any) movies. I'm a 9-5er with internet at work (no wireless) and at home (wireless).

Zip code is 20010. I'm looking to 1) buy a smartphone, 2) spend less than $50/month on calls (500-1000 min/mo), texts (~500/mo) and data, if possible (preferably less), and 3) no contract.

Oh, I do have a Mac at home so an iPhone would be nifty to coordinate between them, but I don't think that's an absolute driver ."Would be nifty" versus "must have" I think.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Zoë

beer 302 said:
There is a Ting app, you can set warnings and automatic shut downs at certain levels I believe.

Hulk> did you see the Nexus4 Price cuts? How about the SIMple Mobile data cap increases?
Whats the SIMple Mobile increase, didn't see it yet?

Saw the N4 cut last night.

IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A GOOD PHONE FOR A GOOD PRICE, YOU CANNOT DO BETTER THAN THE NEXUS 4 FOR $199 UNLOCKED!

Hi Hulk,

I'm on a disintegrating dumb phone and am *almost* ready to make the move to smart phone. Mostly, I don't want to be beholden to my phone or my phone bill, which is why I say "almost." I've been researching the non-Verizon/AT&T/Spring deals and came across your message board discussion. Am now hoping for some advice since I like what I've read!

Never having owned a smart phone I can't tell you what type of data user I am. For voice and text though, over the last year I've been on a month-to-month pre-pay with Verizon, about $45/mo, which is an interesting plan: $2.99 per day for phone calls, IF you make a call. Doesn't matter if you make 1 call or 500, whether they last 30 seconds or 30 minutes or 3 hours, if you make a call it's $2.99 that day. If you don't, no charge. Texts are $0.02 each, incoming and outgoing. I've /mostly/ managed on $45 per month (that includes taxes), sometimes had to re-fill before the month is out. Let's average it to $60/month. Oh, and no data.

I tend to think I'd be a fairly light data user - e-mail and the occasional Facebook check, no music downloading or streaming, probably very few Youtubes and fewer (if any) movies. I'm a 9-5er with internet at work (no wireless) and at home (wireless).

Zip code is 20010. I'm looking to 1) buy a smartphone, 2) spend less than $50/month on calls (500-1000 min/mo), texts (~500/mo) and data, if possible (preferably less), and 3) no contract.

Oh, I do have a Mac at home so an iPhone would be nifty to coordinate between them, but I don't think that's an absolute driver ."Would be nifty" versus "must have" I think.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Zoë
Welcome to the thread. Bet a football message board is about the last place you'd expect to find this conversation. I'm happy to help, even if you weren't residing in the greatest city on earth (and my birthplace and hometown).

Coverage wise, you're good on all 4 carriers, very few dead spots. Sprint seems to be the worst, but downtown its really hard to go wrong. Verizon works on the Metro which is an added bonus, but not really a necessity.

For a phone, I'm going to strongly recommend the Nexus 4, especially since Google dropped its price $100 yesterday. Its a fantastic phone (I use it) and Google just cut the price down to $199 (8GB storage) or $249 (16 GB storage). This is the unlocked price. The iPhone or GalaxyS4 or HTC One are all over $600 unlocked. The Nexus is pretty much the ideal phone to use in the prepaid world, it is GSM and will work on both AT&T and T-Mobile's networks with no problems.

What works best for you will really come down to data usage. The great thing about the Nexus 4 is if you find whatever carrier you chose not working out for your for whatever reason, just don't re-up with them the next month and move on to your next choice. You may do that if you find you want/need more or less data than you expected.

Here are some options:

Minimal Data: AirVoice Wireless (AT&T Network) - Unlimited minutes/texts + 100MB of data for $35. Free roaming on T-Mobile is included. They also have a 500MB plan for $40 if you feel like you need a little bit more data.

Medium Data: Pure Talk USA (AT&T Network) - Unlimited minutes/texts + 1 GB of data for $43.95. No roaming on T-Mobile though.

Medium Data: SIMple Mobile (T-Mobile Network) - Unlimited minutes/texts + 1 GB of data for $40. No roaming on AT&T though. This is actually twice as fast as AT&T's due to the different HSPA+ technologies used

High Data: Solavei (T-Mobile Network) - Unlimited minutes/texts + 4 GB of data for $49 (Data speeds twice as fast as AT&T). Free roaming on AT&T. If you think you'd want to go the Solavei route, PM me and I'll send you a SIM card for them, I have extras.

These costs don't include DC taxes/fees.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hulk> did you see the Nexus4 Price cuts? How about the SIMple Mobile data cap increases?
I'll look for the link, but the $40 plan doubled the highspeed data limit to 1GB... which is perfect for my wife's usage.

ETA: Details here: http://simplemobileinfoblast.com/article-a-better-4g-experience.php
Man, when I first built my database this plan only gave 250 MB. Quadrupled in the past few months! Now it actually is a solid value.

One month into my ting service....first bill was 62. All in vs 180 with sprint. Conversion over was a breeze. The only prob we have is accepting pics in text msg. Could not be happier. Hope you got the 25 sign up bonus hulk....thx again.

IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A GOOD PHONE FOR A GOOD PRICE, YOU CANNOT DO BETTER THAN THE NEXUS 4 FOR $199 UNLOCKED!
Can you get by with 8GB of non-expandable storage? How much free space is left on a Nexus 4 after the OS and core apps are accounted for?

Can you get by with 8GB of non-expandable storage? How much free space is left on a Nexus 4 after the OS and core apps are accounted for?
Sure, lots of people do. The phone comes with 5.67 GB available on the 8 GB modeal and 12.92 GB available on the 16 GB model.

I have the 16GB and haven't had problems. I could get by with 8 GB if I wasn't always taking pics/videos of my kids. I'm not exactly sure how much space the system and core apps take up, but its not that much imo. Maybe 2 GB? Thats a guess.

Welcome to the thread. Bet a football message board is about the last place you'd expect to find this conversation. I'm happy to help, even if you weren't residing in the greatest city on earth (and my birthplace and hometown).

Coverage wise, you're good on all 4 carriers, very few dead spots. Sprint seems to be the worst, but downtown its really hard to go wrong. Verizon works on the Metro which is an added bonus, but not really a necessity.

For a phone, I'm going to strongly recommend the Nexus 4, especially since Google dropped its price $100 yesterday. Its a fantastic phone (I use it) and Google just cut the price down to $199 (8GB storage) or $249 (16 GB storage). This is the unlocked price. The iPhone or GalaxyS4 or HTC One are all over $600 unlocked. The Nexus is pretty much the ideal phone to use in the prepaid world, it is GSM and will work on both AT&T and T-Mobile's networks with no problems.

What works best for you will really come down to data usage. The great thing about the Nexus 4 is if you find whatever carrier you chose not working out for your for whatever reason, just don't re-up with them the next month and move on to your next choice. You may do that if you find you want/need more or less data than you expected.

Here are some options:

Minimal Data: AirVoice Wireless (AT&T Network) - Unlimited minutes/texts + 100MB of data for $35. Free roaming on T-Mobile is included. They also have a 500MB plan for $40 if you feel like you need a little bit more data.

Medium Data: Pure Talk USA (AT&T Network) - Unlimited minutes/texts + 1 GB of data for $43.95. No roaming on T-Mobile though.

Medium Data: SIMple Mobile (T-Mobile Network) - Unlimited minutes/texts + 1 GB of data for $40. No roaming on AT&T though. This is actually twice as fast as AT&T's due to the different HSPA+ technologies used

High Data: Solavei (T-Mobile Network) - Unlimited minutes/texts + 4 GB of data for $49 (Data speeds twice as fast as AT&T). Free roaming on AT&T. If you think you'd want to go the Solavei route, PM me and I'll send you a SIM card for them, I have extras.

These costs don't include DC taxes/fees.

Good luck!
Hulk -

Thank you! To be honest, I was pretty confused about the flag football website having such an extensive (and informative) thread on this... but I'll take good info and advice where I can find it! Glad to know a neighbor in the city, too. It looks like the Google phone and AirVoice Wireless are my best bet - thank you so much for the quick response! I'll report back in the weeks to come on how this works out for me...

Cheers,

Z

Ok, to make sure I'm doing this correctly and not overlooking anything too obvious, could y'all confirm that this is how to go ahead from a dumb phone to a Nexus 4 on AirVoice Wireless:

Step 1: Buy Nexus 4. ($199/8GB or $249/16GB)

Step 2: Buy a AirVoice Wirelss Sim Card. ($4.99)

Step 3: Port my current number (I hope-it's Verizon) and opt for a plan (I'm thinking $40/mo unlimited plan).

Once again - thanks for your help. (Totally embarassed, btw, about my flag vs fantasy gaffe! No insult meant...)

Cheers,

Z

I have the 16GB and haven't had problems. I could get by with 8 GB if I wasn't always taking pics/videos of my kids. I'm not exactly sure how much space the system and core apps take up, but its not that much imo. Maybe 2 GB? Thats a guess.
Yeah, I have a 16GB iPhone 4 and can always manage to stay inbounds with that. I can't recall the last time I was under 8GB though.

Ok, to make sure I'm doing this correctly and not overlooking anything too obvious, could y'all confirm that this is how to go ahead from a dumb phone to a Nexus 4 on AirVoice Wireless:

Step 3: Port my current number (I hope-it's Verizon) and opt for a plan (I'm thinking $40/mo unlimited plan).

Once again - thanks for your help. (Totally embarassed, btw, about my flag vs fantasy gaffe! No insult meant...)

Cheers,

Z
Pretty much, yep.

I ported my number to Google Voice so that I would not have have to port it again in the future when I switch pre-paid carriers.

Cheers,

Z
Pretty much, yep.I ported my number to Google Voice so that I would not have have to port it again in the future when I switch pre-paid carriers.
Was just about to post the same. Porting to Google Voice saves you a lot of trouble in the future.So, that would be the new step three, and then step 4 you just point your google voice at whatever phone# AirVoice gave you.

Cheers,

Z
Pretty much, yep.I ported my number to Google Voice so that I would not have have to port it again in the future when I switch pre-paid carriers.
Was just about to post the same. Porting to Google Voice saves you a lot of trouble in the future.So, that would be the new step three, and then step 4 you just point your google voice at whatever phone# AirVoice gave you.
In my marathon-browsing today I thought I read that call quality is iffy via Google Voice and that Google doesn't like to give it up if you want to port out... thoughts? Experiences?

And... will this create any issues with texting, or needing to tell other people which number to use, etc? I feel a bit thick when trying to figure out which number would actually be used in this case...

--Z

Last edited by a moderator:
The call quality is identical. I don't need to tell people my new number because my old number is my Google voice number... If anything, it's less confusing.

I don't know anything about porting out though.

One month into my ting service....first bill was 62. All in vs 180 with sprint. Conversion over was a breeze. The only prob we have is accepting pics in text msg. Could not be happier. Hope you got the 25 sign up bonus hulk....thx again.
You know how to fix this, right? You actually have to change the pic send address in settings from your previous carrier to Ting's. I had to do it on my wife's account.

I just signed my mom up for Ting as she's a very, very light user on T-mobile today. Her T-mobile contract is up on Monday. I suppose she'll get her new phone next week sometime - says up to 10 days shipping. I used Uwe Blab's referral link.

Thanks for the most useful thread on FBG Hulk!
Thanks! :hifive:

You know how to fix this, right? You actually have to change the pic send address in settings from your previous carrier to Ting's. I had to do it on my wife's account.
On the phone or on the Ting site?

Great customer service from Ting - they let me apply a referral after the fact!. I used ProNinja's, since it was his post in the GMTAN thread that led me over here.

:thumbup:

On the phone or on the Ting site?
On the phone. You need to reset the url where the phone sends the mms to. There is more info here, but you may need to search for your phone model and perhaps "not sending mms ting" to get your actual instruction. Link here: https://help.ting.com/entries/22918587-MMS-not-working

Hulk, can you help me out? There is a lot of info to sort through.Can you share the address if your blog is up?

I am in 02131 with a sprint smartphone that is having hardware issues. My contract is up, I'm looking for a cheaper plan on Sprint, T Mobile, or Verizon's network, Sprint isn't highly rated but works pretty well for me. ATT has poor reception at my house so isn't an option. I'll be getting a new phone as well; I am a little uncomfortable with unlocked phones. I've never bought a phone without a plan and I'm not sure how to be sure it will work.

I'm usually under 200 texts and 200 minutes. Data is more complicated; I've been under 250 MB for a while, but haven't been streaming music lately. In the past that has hovered close to 2 GB. I'm looking at a Nexus 4, and Galaxy S3 or HTC One if I want to spend my monthly savings in advance. I see the $199 Nexus is already out of stock, but I think I'd need the 16 GB anyway.

Any advice would be appreciated to help me match a good plan with a good phone.

Hulk, can you help me out? There is a lot of info to sort through.Can you share the address if your blog is up?

I am in 02131 with a sprint smartphone that is having hardware issues. My contract is up, I'm looking for a cheaper plan on Sprint, T Mobile, or Verizon's network, Sprint isn't highly rated but works pretty well for me. ATT has poor reception at my house so isn't an option. I'll be getting a new phone as well; I am a little uncomfortable with unlocked phones. I've never bought a phone without a plan and I'm not sure how to be sure it will work.

I'm usually under 200 texts and 200 minutes. Data is more complicated; I've been under 250 MB for a while, but haven't been streaming music lately. In the past that has hovered close to 2 GB. I'm looking at a Nexus 4, and Galaxy S3 or HTC One if I want to spend my monthly savings in advance. I see the $199 Nexus is already out of stock, but I think I'd need the 16 GB anyway.

Any advice would be appreciated to help me match a good plan with a good phone.
well, it will really come down to the data usage. If you're not streaming, you could be on Ting for super cheap, about $33 a month, so months cheaper if you talked a little less, or used Google voice instead of texts. But no Nexus 4 on Ting. The Nexus 4 will only work on At&t or T-Mobile and their MVNOs. If you went that route, your phone would cost $249 ( instead of like $600) but your plan would be slightly more. Most T-Mobile plans run in the $40 to $50 range, depending on how much data you want, and most have unlimited calls and texts.Really, you've got to decide what you want. More data or less? A nexus or something else? Once you've got that nailed down I'll find the cheapest option for you.

And don't sweat an unlocked Nexus. Google mails it to you and you just pop in a SIM card. It's simple as pie.

Hulk - I'm late to the party but was referred to this thread by Jaysus (thanks!). I've been with ATT but looking to try something new once my son gets his own plan... soon.

Right now the wife and I only use talk minutes but I'm looking for a plan that would give her just talk and text and me talk/text/data. I was looking at the ST plan from walmart, but like what I see from Ting or maybe Solavei. I'm not savy on types of phones vs types of cell towers, etc.

My usual monthly usage: Between 500 and 900 talk minutes on average (two phones mostly my wife talking on her phone, I may use 20 minutes one month and 5 the next). But usually closer to 500 on a normal month. 1000 text or less will work fine. I don't plan to do much streaming on a phone but would like to get some data... not sure how much I would need.

Looking to get two new phones. I want one with GPS mainly for the golf yardage app I would use. Would not use it for turn by turn directions. Wife doesn't want or need a smartphone.

Zip: 29150

Any suggestions you might have are greatly appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread