What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Save $ on cell service -- Ting Mobile / Solavei (+ other MVNOs) (1 Viewer)

Drifter said:
Nexus 5 not available to be had anywhere and Google rumoured to not be making it any more. Stick it out until May for the One M8 or go with the M7 or S4?
it's available now on google play.
Of course it is. I checked earlier today and it wasn't there so I went ahead and ordered a One. The One has better specs, you just don't get the most recent OS.

Drifter said:
Nexus 5 not available to be had anywhere and Google rumoured to not be making it any more. Stick it out until May for the One M8 or go with the M7 or S4?
Of course it is. I checked earlier today and it wasn't there so I went ahead and ordered a One. The One has better specs, you just don't get the most recent OS.
lol. I have the nexus 5 page bookmarked and check it periodically - wife and I both desperately need new phones, are spoiled with flagships, but don't want to fork over ~$600 each. I read some reports about instability on the one due to the cyanogen mod OS, and that was enough to spook me. I have had it with unstable, buggy phones (from an older motorola phone I had that was loaded with Motobloat) The thing that appeals about nexus 5 the most to me is there is no manufacurer or service provider loading their crap onto the phone - it will be as pure of an OS as the driven snow.

Had an unbelievably good experience at the Verizon store. Been waiting for this for several years. Last phone is off contract on the 13th. We were paying $222 (plus taxes) for 6GB with 2 smart phones, two basic phones and an ipad.

Now that all of our phones are off contract we can sign up the advertised discounts. NEW BILL AMT - $152 (plus taxes) for 10GB and the same phones. I am buying a couple Samsung Galaxy 3s off of ebay and will save another $10 a month when I get those (bigger discount on smart phones on the plan) - so new bill will be $142 (plus taxes). I am pretty pumped. Verizon has by far the best coverage around here so we were fairly restricted unless we wanted to suffer through slow/no coverage.

They jam the Edge program down your throat where you have to pay for new phones on a monthly basis to get on this discounted plan. I tried to get a straight answer no less than 10 times (over a couple month period of time) over the phone about getting on the More Everything plan without getting on the Edge plan and was told that I couldn't. Even when I went to the store I had a difficult first 10 minutes or so with the rep, but after I made it repeatedly clear that we owned our phones and had no interest in the Edge plan she helped set up the plan (and was nice about it).

This pricing is even better than the $160 for 4 advertised - I will wait and see if it all ends up as she described, but I had her write out what we were paying by service/phone and what we will be paying so I could understand what was changing and by how much.

Moral of the story for me:

- get off contract ASAP, don't fall for shiny new upgrade on the cheap (happened with my wife a couple of times)

- buy your phones off ebay from places that have good ratings and do refunds/exchanges

- go to the store and don't deal with call center people

sbonomo, one thing you should know about Consumer Cellular is that your 4G is truly LTE. Basically, that means you get the same speeds as AT&T customers. I learned this when I researched the OnePlus One forums. I also read that this is not the case with Straight Talk, but I could be wrong.

sbonomo, one thing you should know about Consumer Cellular is that your 4G is truly LTE. Basically, that means you get the same speeds as AT&T customers. I learned this when I researched the OnePlus One forums. I also read that this is not the case with Straight Talk, but I could be wrong.
Straight Talk on AT&T has the same LTE as AT&T. On T-Mobile it has HSPA+42 which is decent. On Sprint and Verizon it is 3G only.

lol. I have the nexus 5 page bookmarked and check it periodically - wife and I both desperately need new phones, are spoiled with flagships, but don't want to fork over ~$600 each. I read some reports about instability on the one due to the cyanogen mod OS, and that was enough to spook me. I have had it with unstable, buggy phones (from an older motorola phone I had that was loaded with Motobloat) The thing that appeals about nexus 5 the most to me is there is no manufacurer or service provider loading their crap onto the phone - it will be as pure of an OS as the driven snow.
google more than makes up for it with all of their tech apps....

thanks for the heads up..

Drifter said:
Ting announced they will also be carried on a GSM network starting in February so any unlocked phone will be eligible.
Whoooo!

I use too much data for them but thats a big deal.

Drifter said:
Ting announced they will also be carried on a GSM network starting in February so any unlocked phone will be eligible.
Whoooo!

Yeah, their data gets pricey quick. It's keeping me on our Sprint unlimited data plan for my phone, but I'm really looking at seeing how much I can cut back my data usage so the switch makes sense.

If my work wi-fi didn't block streaming audio it would be a no-brainer. We already have our kids' phones on Ting, but I keep the data capped for them because I can.

Drifter said:
Whoooo!

Yeah, their data gets pricey quick. It's keeping me on our Sprint unlimited data plan for my phone, but I'm really looking at seeing how much I can cut back my data usage so the switch makes sense.

If my work wi-fi didn't block streaming audio it would be a no-brainer. We already have our kids' phones on Ting, but I keep the data capped for them because I can.
WTF? Why would they do that?

Drifter said:
Whoooo!

WTF? Why would they do that?
I don't know. They have a lot of broad categories blocked, and the official internet usage policy is "business purposes only". All types of streaming media seem to be blocked on my work computer. I think it's also a bandwidth issue.

The wifi appears to have the same restrictions as the wired network.

What about Cricket? I have two phones coming off contract this month (last one in May) and the $180 I pay for three phones is asinine. I can cut that in half with Cricket. From this thread looks like I need to look into Consumer Cellular, as well.

What about Cricket? I have two phones coming off contract this month (last one in May) and the $180 I pay for three phones is asinine. I can cut that in half with Cricket. From this thread looks like I need to look into Consumer Cellular, as well.
Not too familiar with Cricket...only that it is pretty flaky in Memphis in terms of reception.

Not too familiar with Cricket...only that it is pretty flaky in Memphis in terms of reception.
Supposedly it is on the AT&T network, or at least I thought so.

So if I switch to one of these folks I need to get a SIM card for each phone, switch over my number, then cancel with AT&T?

Last edited by a moderator:

So if I switch to one of these folks I need to get a SIM card for each phone, switch over my number, then cancel with AT&T?
Yup, Cricket is on the AT&T Network (used to be on their own, but they go bought by AT&T). FYI, they cap their LTE @ 8 MBps download speeds, so its not really full LTE. Just something to keep in mind.

ETA: When you port your number, it automatically cancels that phone's existing contract.

Yup, Cricket is on the AT&T Network (used to be on their own, but they go bought by AT&T). FYI, they cap their LTE @ 8 MBps download speeds, so its not really full LTE. Just something to keep in mind.

ETA: When you port your number, it automatically cancels that phone's existing contract.
:lol: - that's 3x my home DSL speed. That should be fine.

Sand said:
(HULK) said:
Sand said:
Brady Marino said:
Sand said:

:lol: - that's 3x my home DSL speed. That should be fine.
My home wifi is about 100 MBps. I would break my laptop if it was 2.5 MBps.

Heard that Ting is going to start offering GSM service. That's a big deal, no?
Yes.

Also, Google reportedly spinning up an MVNO this year too.

And Solavei changed their pricing back to something reasonable again.

Lots going on. DB is a pain to keep updated imo.

Can someone help me here?

I have a Nexus 5.

I downloaded an app called 'Clean Master.'

Seems to do a good job BUT ... whenever I plug the phone in to charge, it automatically starts running this program and I have to unplug the phone to get back to the homescreen.

I like to listen to music on the phone when I am charging it sometimes. But this makes it much more difficult.

Any ideas other than simply deleting this app, which is what I will probably do if there isn't a decent solution?

Blackdot to come back in here and figure this out sometime... can someone point me to the place in the thread where I can see which Ting-like services use the Verizon network? That's the only reliable service where I live.

Blackdot to come back in here and figure this out sometime... can someone point me to the place in the thread where I can see which Ting-like services use the Verizon network? That's the only reliable service where I live.
Not a lot.

I can run you through my DB though. What is your usage (mins/texts/data)?

Last bill:

2 iphones

1.030 GB data (I'd say 2 GB is typical)

1176 minutes

229 messages
You want Page Plus Wireless. The 2GB is between 2 phones? You can get unlimited calls/texts + 1 GB LTE plans... its $39.95 per line.

Not sure if you can bring your iPhone over though. You'll have to call them and see.

Can someone help me here?

I have a Nexus 5.

I downloaded an app called 'Clean Master.'

Seems to do a good job BUT ... whenever I plug the phone in to charge, it automatically starts running this program and I have to unplug the phone to get back to the homescreen.

I like to listen to music on the phone when I am charging it sometimes. But this makes it much more difficult.

Any ideas other than simply deleting this app, which is what I will probably do if there isn't a decent solution?
you might need to change the app settings. i have and use the app daily. i haven't had it do anything like what you are describing.

Last bill:

2 iphones

1.030 GB data (I'd say 2 GB is typical)

1176 minutes

229 messages
You want Page Plus Wireless. The 2GB is between 2 phones? You can get unlimited calls/texts + 1 GB LTE plans... its $39.95 per line.

Not sure if you can bring your iPhone over though. You'll have to call them and see.
Thanks, Hulk. I'll check them out.

Yes, 2 GB shared between the two phones.

Lot's of info in here but I'm hoping I can get a detailed recommendation for our family plan with 3 phones. We are currently with AT&T but looking for a lower cost no contract plan.

Service- 2 of us are in Michigan and one will be moving to the NYC area.

Talk- we would need unlimited talk or approx. 1200min per month if that is cheaper than unlimited

Text- need unlimited

Data- need approx 15gb shared

Phone- any good recommendations on a lower price phone with features close to the more expensive galaxy type smartphones?

The Motorola Moto G seems to be a good lower budget option but not sure the others would go for this lesser type......

Provider:

Cricket- meets all requirements but is their AT&T service a drop down from the actual AT&T?

Consumers Cellular- this would be my preferred but it looks like the max data plan is only 2.5gb shared

Other?

Cricket basic plan just moved to 2.5 gb of data from 1. For 40 dollars inclusive of all fees and taxes (35 with auto debit) you get unlimited voice and text and 2.5 gig of lte data (capped at 8 mps) Can bring your own phone. They also have some decent models with large rebates. It's basically At&t, (no roaming) so if that it good in your area Cricket should be fine. Been on a couple of months and no problems yet.

Lot's of info in here but I'm hoping I can get a detailed recommendation for our family plan with 3 phones. We are currently with AT&T but looking for a lower cost no contract plan.

Service- 2 of us are in Michigan and one will be moving to the NYC area.

Talk- we would need unlimited talk or approx. 1200min per month if that is cheaper than unlimited

Text- need unlimited

Data- need approx 15gb shared

Phone- any good recommendations on a lower price phone with features close to the more expensive galaxy type smartphones?

The Motorola Moto G seems to be a good lower budget option but not sure the others would go for this lesser type......

Provider:

Cricket- meets all requirements but is their AT&T service a drop down from the actual AT&T?

Consumers Cellular- this would be my preferred but it looks like the max data plan is only 2.5gb shared

Other?
With that 15GB of data requirement, its gonna hurt almost anywhere unless you catch a promo deal or something.

Can you break out the requirements by phone? Would make this a little easier for me.

Also, to answer your questions... Cricket uses AT&Ts network, but they throttle the LTE at 8 MBps download speeds... so it isn't as fast as AT&T's LTE normally is.

Also, why is your data usage so high? Don't you have access to WiFi?

Hulk, just wanted to say thanks for your advice. We left Verizon first of the year, and had a couple issues with porting over as well as data setup on my new Moto X. CC's customer service did not always get everything right the first time, but they always were easy to get on the phone and able to get things cleared up with a follow up call. Coverage has been fine, service has been great.

FYI - Consumer Cellular has raised their minutes/texts/data on all plans, as well as added another tier to their text/data offerings.

https://www.consumercellular.com/blog/our-new-cellphone-plans-give-you-more-value-for-the-same-low-price/

OK, looking to see if I can get a recomendation. My 13 year old just made the A honor roll finally, and his promised reward was a cell phone. I don't want to add him to the plan my family plan, because he doesn't need a Cadillac plan, or a Cadillac phone. I'm guessing he is looking just to be able to play Clash of Clans and the like away from Wi-Fi, and text his friends. Talking will be minimal. What kind of options/phones am I looking at?

OK, looking to see if I can get a recomendation. My 13 year old just made the A honor roll finally, and his promised reward was a cell phone. I don't want to add him to the plan my family plan, because he doesn't need a Cadillac plan, or a Cadillac phone. I'm guessing he is looking just to be able to play Clash of Clans and the like away from Wi-Fi, and text his friends. Talking will be minimal. What kind of options/phones am I looking at?
Any GSM phone and the T-Mobile $30 prepaid plan imo. 100 minutes, unlimited texts, 5 GB LTE. Ideal for young boys.

Get him a Moto G or E. LTE Version.

Any GSM phone and the T-Mobile $30 prepaid plan imo. 100 minutes, unlimited texts, 5 GB LTE. Ideal for young boys.

I think that is great advice. Maybe set him up with a Google Voice number right off the bat so he will always have it.

ETA: get yourself a new Moto X and get a free Moto E for the boy ;)

That's the best I'm looking at? Bummer. I can add a line to my Sprint family plan for $30 with contract, but hoping there was a better option. :kicksrock:

Users who are viewing this thread